Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Smile Gallery Hotel Art, Lungarno Collection, Florence, Italy

Gallery Hotel Art

Map| 3 Reviews | 33% Recommended

Gallery Hotel Art

Vicolo dell'Oro 5 Florence, IT 50123

Gallery Hotel Art- Lungarno Collection in Florence, Italy (0 Photo)

Gallery Hotel Art

We arrived withVolainbus / shuttle Bus from the Airport to the Florence Train Stationand bought a return ticket, which cost 10 Euro per person (ca. 13.40 USD). The driver was so nice to give us directions to the Gallery Hotel Art.

|| OUR STAY @ THE GALLERY HOTEL ART || LUNGARNO COLLECTION || FLORENCE || ITALY || August 2013 || A FEW STEPS FROM THE PONTE VECCHIO || OWNED BY SALVATORE FERRAGAMO ||by|| UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

The logo of the hotel at the entrance

The Gallery Hotel Art belongs to Salvatore Ferragamo's Lungarno Collection.This and having been thefirst design hotel in Italywere the reasons we choose this hotel.

The hotel has the ideal location, just steps away from the Ponte Vecchio, in a very quiet side street. The building was formerly a work shop for Salvatore Ferragamo.

The hotel was easy to find.The lobby looked like an art galleryand had an exhibition about bicycle racing going on.

Check In

Check in was friendly and quick.

Our rate included breakfast, free internet access, free entrance to the Ferragamo Museum and an upgrade at check in, if available. We were lucky and were upgraded.

|| OUR STAY @ THE GALLERY HOTEL ART || LUNGARNO COLLECTION || FLORENCE || ITALY || August 2013 || A FEW STEPS FROM THE PONTE VECCHIO || OWNED BY SALVATORE FERRAGAMO ||by|| UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

Racing bicycles in the lobby as a form of art

Service

We were accompanied by the bell captain to our room on the fourth floor, who also took our suitcase. He gave us a quick room description. Then we were alone.

24 hour room service was also available.

All the staff was very friendly and attentive. One example was the maid. On our first night the twin beds were pushed together, our preference. The next day, when the room was made up, the beds were separated. Before going to bed we pushed them together. The following morning the maid took note of what we liked and the beds stayed the way we preferred it for the rest of the stay.

Check out came too quickly. It was efficient and fast.

Room

The room was large with twin beds pushed together, two chairs in front of the beds, a writing desk and a cupboard, containing the mini bar and storage space.

There was also a small hallway with a large wardrobe including safe. The bathroom was medium in size. There was a double sink, weighing scale, toilet and bidet and a bath tub with shower combination.

The amenities were Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Soul. The color scheme wasbrown, beige, black and white.

We loved the details, like artwork depicting Florentine landmarks or that the leather handles to open the wardrobe were also made by Salvatore Ferragamo craftsmen.

We could see the part of the Ponte Vecchio from our window or looking in the next door apartments.Everything in the room was comfortable.

Very comfortable luxury bedding, we slept very well here

Dining

Breakfast was something to look forward to. We could have had breakfast at the Continentale or the Lungarno Hotel, but choose to have it at the Gallery Hotel Art, because we wanted to have a surprise element when returning to Florence and staying at one of the others within the Lungarno Collection.

Breakfast was served at the Hotel's loungewhich can be seen as extension of the Fusion Restaurant and Bar. It was divided into different areas, insuring that the people flow was manageable. There were some hot items like bacon, scrambled eggs and turkey sausages, cold cuts, different types of cheese, fruits, cereal and much more. My favorite was the rice tart, but most of the days it was finished by the time we arrived. So if you want to have them better come early. All other items were replenished frequently.

The juice choice was good too.We loved the detox juice and the energizer,but there were peach, pear and orange juice available. Other hot items, like omelets or pancakes could be ordered a la carte. They were charged extra. One of us had pancakes, and they were delicious. The cost was 6 Euro, ca. 8 USD. One evening we also had dinner at the restaurant. It was fantastic and included 2 cocktails, a bottle of water, two main courses and two desserts. It came in at 78 Euro (ca. 104.40 USD).

Other hot items, like omelets or pancakes could be ordered a la carte. They were charged extra. One of us had pancakes, and they were delicious. The cost was 6 Euro, ca. 8 USD. One evening we also had dinner at the restaurant. It was fantastic and included 2 cocktails, a bottle of water, two main courses and two desserts. It came in at 78 Euro (ca. 104.40 USD).

The beautiful facade of the hotel, just a few steps from the Ponte Vecchio, but in it's own private lane

Amenities

TV channels available were mostly regional but all important international channels were also there. Some channels also allowed changing the language by pressing a button via remote control. We watched one evening Bag of Bones with Pierce Brosnan on Italian TV using this service.

The Lungarno Collection Magazine, brochures and the Salvatore Ferragamo biography in our room

Overall

Would we recommend this hotel to a friend?YES! Would we stay again at this hotel?YES!

Gallery Hotel Art- Lungarno Collection in Florence, Italy

Would you like to write a review on the Gallery Hotel Art?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Here are some more images we have made during our stay at the Gallery Hotel Art, Lungarno Collection, Florence, Italy:

|| OUR STAY @ THE GALLERY HOTEL ART || LUNGARNO COLLECTION || FLORENCE || ITALY || August 2013 || A FEW STEPS FROM THE PONTE VECCHIO || OWNED BY SALVATORE FERRAGAMO || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

|| OUR STAY @ THE GALLERY HOTEL ART || LUNGARNO COLLECTION || FLORENCE || ITALY || August 2013 || A FEW STEPS FROM THE PONTE VECCHIO || OWNED BY SALVATORE FERRAGAMO || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

^ From a beautiful upgraded room, double sinks in the bathroom, gorgeous fresh breakfast each morning to intuitive service, great location in the heart of Florence and art in the lobby, plus dinner in the Fusion Bar & Restaurant, we had a wonderful stay at the Gallery Hotel Art, Lungarno Collection in Florence, Italy.

Highly recommended, thanks and safe travels.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:03 am

Rather you than me. I have stayed at all the Lungarno hotels in Florence and would never return to any of them. Fine for 4-stars, I guess, but not to be put in the deluxe sector.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:07 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Rather you than me. I have stayed at all the Lungarno hotels in Florence and would never return to any of them. Fine for 4-stars, I guess, but not to be put in the deluxe sector.
Is there consensus on this? If so, the thread should be moved. Thanks.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is discussion of lungarno hotels in the luxury hotels forum, they do not all have lungarno in name
portrait suites in rome is one of best regarded properties in rome in luxury hotels forum
** theyre opening 34 room portrait in florence next spring! **
they also manage an expensive villa and charter yachts in the well above $5K/nt range

lungarno is ferragamo, as are il borro and castiglion del bosco
Groombridge had a trip report with good experience at castiglion de bosco
seem to recall il borro had a comment more recently

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:28 am

Seems nice enough, though I absolutely loathe twin beds pushed together to form an ersatz King.

That being said, I love the photos, and really appreciate any and every report posted here. While maybe this isn't the height of luxury, I still think it belongs here.

Not every property here has to be Aman, FS, MO, or Pen ... would be a pretty boring board, and even more of an echo chamber.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uggboy
twin beds were pushed together, our preference
cant tell if this is saying preference is two sets of linens and not attached, as well.

recall discussion of some guests, like from certain nationalities, having two sets of linens.

twin beds can made up as one bed, actually attached tightly together with one set of linens etc, and there are top luxury properties that include beds like this. hollywood twin? dont remember. can be zipped etc.

report >
great pics as always, could have more service discussion
interesting re breakfast at other lungarno, good detail
also interesting including prices, as usual, good information not necessarily common in reports
hotel being reviewed mentions on website that suite guests can get private visit to santa maria novella
(on site for upcoming portrait florence, mentions their guests can get free gift at santa maria novella)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Lungarno itself markets the hotel as a 4 star and that is where it belongs to.
There are several others that they markets as 5 stars, and I agree with vuitton that even those does not make it to the luxury segment.

In this forum sometime properties not really luxury are discussed when there are no better option in town. definitively this is not the case.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Lungarno itself markets the hotel as a 4 star and that is where it belongs to.
There are several others that they markets as 5 stars, and I agree with vuitton that even those does not make it to the luxury segment.

In this forum sometime properties not really luxury are discussed when there are no better option in town. definitively this is not the case.
lungarno portrait suites rome >
Finding anything vaguely luxurious in Rome verges upon impossibility, and given you are in this Forum, I presume you are looking for something high-end?

If so, there are but 2 options - Hotel de Russie or Portrait Suites. Everything else, in my experience, has you re-scheduling your flights to leave early.
edit - to clarify, i have no opinion on defining luxury hotels. i can only try to remember prior discussion in luxury hotels forum.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 7, 2013 at 10:57 am
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opinion seems split at this stage, so I think I'll leave it in this forum.

Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

As creative as this photography is, this property is not a five star hotel...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there is discussion of lungarno hotels in the luxury hotels forum, they do not all have lungarno in name
portrait suites in rome is one of best regarded properties in rome in luxury hotels forum
** theyre opening 34 room portrait in florence next spring! **
they also manage an expensive villa and charter yachts in the well above $5K/nt range

lungarno is ferragamo, as are il borro and castiglion del bosco
Groombridge had a trip report with good experience at castiglion de bosco
seem to recall il borro had a comment more recently
From what I gather, although both sets of hotels are Ferragamo, they are owned by different Ferragamo brothers - Portrait Suites etc are the ones with style, whereas Lungarno collection are more cheap and cheerful.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:11 am
Original Poster

From what I gather, although both sets of hotels are Ferragamo, they are owned by different Ferragamo brothers - Portrait Suites etc are the ones with style, whereas Lungarno collection are more cheap and cheerful.
All Ferragamo hotels are managed and marketed through their Lungarno Collection affiliation and website and this includes Portrait Suites, Gallery Hotel Art, The Lungarno Hotel, Continentale and more.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackbook
As creative as this photography is, this property is not a five star hotel...
The Gallery Hotel Art was Italy's first real design hotel when it opened and it is still groundbreaking in many respects, while not 5 stars, but 4, it is individual luxury and should be seen as this, it's not mass. It's part of the Lungarno Collection, this is rare and says something about this and other properties who belong to this chain owned by Salvatore Ferragamo, this alone means luxury into itself.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Luxury is personal, luxury depends upon differentiation and this hotel can and does deliver this. The world would be a boring place when the word luxury means a very narrow definition and all the same, only because a few think so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.