Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by offerendum
To behonest I don´t really like this "by" restaurants, as it has few in common with the renowned chef.
...but there seems to be demand for such ventures.

Cheers & Safe Travels.
^
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uggboy
...but there seems to be demand for such ventures.

Cheers & Safe Travels.
^
Without question and I ate at many.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:18 am

I always avoid the global branding of restaurants when one chef lends his or her name to a restaurant in Dubai or Cape Town or wherever. It's the same as McDonalds - people are happy with the familiar and (think) they know what they are getting. Ducasse has certainly exploited the trend along with Robuchon, Ramsay and a few others. It's just a rather niche money machine and it saddens me that the Connaught will now have two such restaurants.

That said, I'm on a Seabourn cruise ship next week which has a Thomas Keller restaurant. Somehow I think he might not be aboard . . . unless he's doing the laundry, ha ha!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I always avoid the global branding of restaurants when one chef lends his or her name to a restaurant in Dubai or Cape Town or wherever. It's the same as McDonalds - people are happy with the familiar and (think) they know what they are getting. Ducasse has certainly exploited the trend along with Robuchon, Ramsay and a few others. It's just a rather niche money machine and it saddens me that the Connaught will now have two such restaurants.

That said, I'm on a Seabourn cruise ship next week which has a Thomas Keller restaurant. Somehow I think he might not be aboard . . . unless he's doing the laundry, ha ha!
That space at the Connaught was always dire, though. Having said that, does the hotel need a "comfort food" sort of thing (which, in my experience is the Vong hotel restaurant experience) ?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:40 am

I was a big fan of Espelette, and preferred it to Helene Darroze. I might be in the minority!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:26 am

...and in the meantime over at another Maybourne Hotel Group property...

Apple Designers to Create Claridge’s Christmas Tree

London’s iconic hotel, Claridge’s, has announced that the hotel’s annual Christmas tree will be designed by Apple Designers and Sir Jony Ive, the chief design officer and Marc Newson, designer for special projects. Ive is known for creating the look and feel of the Apple products, including the iMac, PowerBook, MacBook, iPhone, iPad and more. Newson has created a range of products from furniture to yachts and is based in London.
http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/h...mas-tree-17767

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by QPRfan
I was a big fan of Espelette, and preferred it to Helene Darroze. I might be in the minority!
Include me in that minority. I'm far from a fan of Helen Darroze's restaurant; in fact, I'd rank it just after Alain Ducasse for most overpriced and overrated Michelin star restaurant in London.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Include me in that minority. I'm far from a fan of Helen Darroze's restaurant; in fact, I'd rank it just after Alain Ducasse for most overpriced and overrated Michelin star restaurant in London.
Include me, too!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:31 am

I see quite a bit of chatter re The Berkeley...is it really a luxury hotel?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Overall in my mind there's no doubt that The Berkeley is a luxury hotel, the rest is personal and "up to the guest"...

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by uggboy
Overall in my mind there's no doubt that The Berkeley is a luxury hotel, the rest is personal and "up to the guest"...

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Great, thanks. At it's price point, I wouldn't have guessed. Perhaps I'll stay there next time.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Troopers
MacMyDay reported on it earlier this month.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I went to Celeste earlier this year for dinner and really enjoyed it. Will also be there on Saturday for lunch, so can see if they've kept the standard.

Couldn't agree more with you on Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester - very good service, but the food is immensely underwhelming. As the fool I am, I decided to go twice just to make sure the first time wasn't some aberration. It wasn't. Unless the bible gets a new section added, written personally by god, that recommends Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, I'm not going back.

Lucky for you our currency is in free fall. We stopped using GBP and now trade using old war stories and bread as currency.
Love your writing style as always, MacMyDay...
I'll stay at The Lanesborough next Saturday and will (at least) have breakfast at Celeste, maybe also lunch. I saw that the chef worked at Epicure before, which is certainly a good sign as this remains one of my favourite restaurants in Paris.
Interesting comment about Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester. I stayed at the hotel twice in the last 4 months and judging from your experience one could almost think that the Ducasse kitchen must also be in charge for the Afternoon Tea at The Promenade as well as for room service, as the food at both was a major disappointment.
It's true that the GBP devaluation makes London an interesting destination these days, I never thought it possible that London would be cheaper (or rather less expensive) than Paris, which is now clearly the case.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:31 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Pausanias

I see what you did there...

Don't see this being mentioned often/ever but I've had clients that really enjoyed thier stay at The Egerton House Hotel, just 28 rooms...and the Virtuoso amenities are a bit cool as well:
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Full English breakfast daily for up to two in-room guests
Exclusive pair of member tickets to all current Exhibitions at The Victoria & Albert Museum with full access to the members lounge
Free Wifi throughout the Hotel
Afternoon Tea for 2 on one day during your stay
Martini making lesson with the King of Martinis, Antonio, plus 2 dry martinis and a Certificate of Excellence signed by Antonio Pizzuto, Head Bar Man of the Egerton House
One Way airport transfer for Suite bookings of 3 or more nights stay (cannotbe used in conjuction with any other promotions)
Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 28, 2016 at 11:23 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by the same member
Old Oct 29, 2016, 3:07 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Martini making lesson with the King of Martinis, Antonio, plus 2 dry martinis and a Certificate of Excellence signed by Antonio Pizzuto, Head Bar Man of the Egerton House
Antonio retired last year....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.