Wiki Posts
Search

Amantaka and Amansara - March 2013

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 11:41 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Amantaka and Amansara - March 2013

Planning ahead, we are thinking of going to Amantaka and Amansara in March next year. We have 12 nights, and was thinking of splitting our time between these two resorts, i.e. 6 nights at each which would give us plenty of time both to enjoy the resorts and to see the sights. My questions to you:
- Is March a good time to go?
- Is 6+6 a good split or should we do it differently? Would it be too long to stay 6 nights at each resort (we do not want to go to a third place during this holiday, so if 12 nights for the two resorts is too much, we might do something completely different)?
- Which activities should we do at each?
- Which resort should we stay at first (of course we want to save the best for the end)?
- Is there a gym or tennis coursts at these resorts?
- We are normally very happy with entry level accommodation at Amans, but are happy to splurge if it really adds something to the experience (like villas at Amanpulo, Sveti Stefan suite with private pool at Aman Sveti Stefan)
- We will travel with our Amanjunkie junior son. Anything particular you would recommend in terms of travel with him (he will be 9 by then)?

For information: other possible plans for March next year is New York first and then Amanyara (but Amanyara REALLY expensive and not sure about Aman there compared to Aman in Asia...) or back to Bali where we would stay at Amanusa for the first time and then revisit Amankila (but a bit "boring" to go back there again, maybe, since there are so many other great places to visit and also weather in March might not be as good as we would like it to be).

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old May 1, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Should be a fantastic trip Musken. March is good weather in both places.

Even though I liked it, I don't think Amanusa is impressive enough to take you back to Bali, if that's the main factor in your decision.
Old May 1, 2012, 2:12 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
It will be an amazing trip but best if you can move it earlier, Musken.
March is the start of the low season especially for Luang Prabang when the rains come & heat/ humidity start becoming unbearable. But with climate change, this maybe delayed?
We were at Amantaka in Feb this year & had an absolutely wonderful time. Weather was still relatively comfortable at night though got scorching hot in the afternoon.
As for Siem Reap, Amansara , you will appreciate it as a base for the many possible explorations. Was there in Jan, many moons ago & even Angkor Wat in the morning got a bit draining with the humidity.

Perhaps heat & humidity don't bother you, if so , March will be fine otherwise better shoot for Jan or Feb latest.
You will be glad, as usual , to be at Amans

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm Reason: Add info: Gary T, Amantaka & Sally B, Amansara , the GMs, will be pleased to advise on activitie& pool suites .. :)
Old May 1, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

First two weeks of March is the only possibility (school holidays...) Otherwise July/August or first two weeks October, but then I think March is better or not??

Heat is fine, but rain not what I would hope for.
Old May 1, 2012, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
First two weeks of March is the only possibility (school holidays...) Otherwise July/August or first two weeks October, but then I think March is better or not??

Heat is fine, but rain not what I would hope for.
October is better for Amantaka as advised by them, it was our original timing for last year but had to postpone ..
It really pours & the dirt tracks there become ' rivers & waterfalls ' - extremely muddy.
Oct good for Amansara too.

Perhaps Amanpulo in Mar?

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 1, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlyerEC, will amanusa residential villas be open by then?
Old May 1, 2012, 2:27 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I have not been to Amantaka, but for service and facilities, I might actually give the nod to Yara over Sara. March would be beautiful in the Turks and Caicos but there is not much to offer culturally...just good diving if you are experienced, and a beautiful beach. For me, the best part of Sara is the area temples. It's less about the resort.

I did trip reports for each if you want more detail.

And if you can handle the heat, July is a bargain at Yara....full board, better rates. Slight chance of a hurricane, but that is slight.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Musken, your good questions will spur me to finally post my Amantaka and Amansara trip review this weekend. I do not think 6 days is too long, but cannot speak to the weather in March. More to come this weekend...
Old May 1, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FlyerEC, will amanusa residential villas be open by then?
Think some should be
Old May 2, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We went to Amansara when it first opened and enjoyed it as a base to see all of the amazing sites. It offers a wonderful cultural experience, but is not really what I would call a resort as it is in a busy area. It has the lovely Aman rooms, nice pool, etc. we went in the November timeframe and had good weather. March is on the border weather wise and could be iffy. We loved Amansara but really went to see the sites which are amazing and well worth seeing!
We went to Amantaka in January and loved it. Although it is also in the city, it is large enough and contained enough that it does have more of a resort feel to me. We did the Mekong river cruise on their private boat and it was absolutely the highlight of our stay. We went in the afternoon and had a wonderful light lunch and saw a glorious sunset on he way back. The temple we visited On the boat trip was touristy and IMO not great, but the boat itself was wonderful. Other than that we did the city tour - honestly could have been done on our own, and joined the Aman in watching the monks pass through the town for "alms" (offering) early in the morning which we really enjoyed. The aman does this in front of the hotel where it is not filled with tourists like the town center which is really nice.
We were only there for 3 days and could have stayed longer as I really enjoyed the property and would have liked to lounge around a bit more. We had a gorgeous private pool suite - one category up from the regular pool suite and I would highly recommend. I had a great massage as well.
If we had stayed longer there were trips to a waterfall and into the countryside that looked very nice as well.
In terms of which order to visit, that is a hard one. Cambodia has much more interesting cultural sites, but I think Amantaka is a nicer place to relax. Although I don't think of either one as a resort like Amanpuri or pulo or the resorts in Bali. We went to Burma after Amantaka which was fascinating ( although not nearly the aman like accomodations) and then ended our trip at Trisara to relax which was perfect! If I were you I might look at ending with a few days at a resort like this to really relax after the cultural things. If you have 12 days you could do 4 each! I think you might even be able to fly directly from Siem Riep to Phuket, but not 100% sure. Love Trisara and it is a great place to chill after a lot of sightseeing! Of course Amanpuri is great too!
Have not been to soneva kiri but that is another alternative and they have a private plane that picks you up at BKK airport. We are thinking of trying next year.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks a lot for all you useful input so far. Looking forward to your trip report, Groombridge!

I am still not really sure. We would ideally like a mix of culture and sun/pool (do not need beach). We would like to stay at one or two hotels (preferably Amans) that we have not visited before.

For the options in March, I have the following issues after having heard what you say so far:

Amansara/taka:
I am sure that cultural experiences will be great, but a bit unsure about the resorts in general, and especially sara, for such a relatively long stay. I really do not want to add another location after these two resorts, and we have already been to Amanpuri and Trisara, anyway (and I love new places more than going back to places that I have seen before, even if they were wonderful). Still a bit confused about weather for March. Reading at the Aman internet site, it looks as if March should be very safe (no rainy time). Will check this out further.

New York and Amanyara
Weater and the resort itself looks perfect, and having read Ericka's trip report, I am not worried about service. Still I feel that I will miss some activities and culture, but have read that we might see whales in March which is a big plus. Also we will have sightseeing and shopping and enough to to in New York since we plan to go there first. Cost of room is a big minus. Is there a no tipping rule at Amanyara as in other Amans?

Bali (Amanusa and Amankila)
As said, we do not like to go back to hotels where we have been, but Amanusa will be new to us and we were at Amankila so long ago and on such a limited budget (more or less spent our limit on room only...) that I would be willing to make an exception so that we get to see a bit more of the area around kila at activities. Any comments and experiences regarding this to share? Have been to all other Indonesian Amans so no wish to go to any others. Bit worried about nusa and building etc. Bit worried about weather since March is end of rainy season there, but we have been lucky in March in Bali before.

Other ideas
- FlyerEC suggested Amanpulo for March. A brilliant idea, but this is where we went in March this year.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

www.weatherbase.com for example
some other sites have "number of rainy days" and use millimeters

12 nights

villas at Amanpulo, Sveti Stefan suite with private pool at Aman Sveti Stefan)

We will travel with our Amanjunkie junior son. Anything particular you would recommend in terms of travel with him (he will be 9 by then)?
miss some activities and culture
at yara >
Originally Posted by pinpin
son is on a nighttime discovery trek with Lindsay (the head of the discovery centre...best activity my son had in a resort. They have lessons everyday from 10 till 12 and from 14 till 16 pm and he loves it and he is only 5. We specifically asked for this night trek since we saw it on the brochure and lindsay kindly arranged to go with him
Cost of room is a big minus
pool pavilion vs other aman pool villa isnt too horrible (bali going up fast, europe, etc)
although pulo/puri do include staff
Is there a no tipping rule at Amanyara as in other Amans?
10% service charge
especially sara, for such a relatively long stay
5/7 sara taka? id imagine you could leave sara early. (it books up, but i doubt taka does.)

some great comments on taka here including - in a taka thread >
Originally Posted by Groombridge
I have just returned from Amantaka and absolutely loved it, the best service I have ever experienced at an Aman (and that is saying a lot

We spent a lot of time on property, as it was sheer heaven there, and Luang Prabang itself was quite touristy so beyond seeing a few temples and bicycling around, it was nice just to be at Amantaka. Their cooking classes out at their organic farm sounded really great, as did their excursion focused on the endangered bears.
shower thread >
Originally Posted by Groombridge
#3: The huge shower room with its double shower heads in the Amantaka Suite
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
^
& for # 3 Also at Amantaka 's spa for all to enjoy & you can ' book ' the whole area - jacuzzi / steam / sauna, etc just for your party
has anyone asked about custom amanikan trips, considering its charter only? i wonder what min length is.

and Musken, youve already booked amanzoe?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2012 at 11:14 am
Old May 2, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks, Kage. You are just amazing in remembering things that people have told before. Especially thanks for the kids info. I will have a look at the weather site and contact the resorts to enquire about March.

We have not yet booked Amanzoe. Will go to FS Istanbul at Bosphoros and Amanruya this summer and to FS Marrakesh and Amanjena (this was our first Aman and it will now be our 10th Aman as well :-) in October this year. Might consider Amanzoe for next summer, but need to plan in the right order, i.e. finnish March first.

I do not think it is fair to compare rates for pool pavillion Amanyara to rates for villas at other Amans. Pool pavillions should be compared to pool pavilions/cottages/casitas. Taking a villa/speciality suite at an Aman is not something I would consider "just" to get the private pool. Amanyara is the most expensive Aman, I think, because of labor costs etc., but it still makes me wonder if it is worth the rate compared to another Aman.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in USD including all mandatory nightly charges

base
663-883 galla
726-947 wella
730-1025 bagh
805 fayun
818-1332 sveti stefan
858-1153 gani
863 summer palace
866 noi
935-1265 pulo
1029 jiwo
1039-1246 puri
1056 le melezin
1104-1518 zoe
1150 dari / kila / nusa
1230 taka
1236-1700 ruya
1249 jena
1295 wana
1317 giri
1428 canal grande venice
1499 sara
1586-2623 yara
1730 ikhas
2050 kora

base pool
726-947 wella
1104-1518 zoe
1236-1700 ruya
1271 jiwo
1357 noi
1470 taka
1521-1794 bagh
1650-2585 pulo
1694 dari / kila / nusa
1840-2077 puri
1869 sara
2070 giri
2176 jena
2318-3355 yara
4531 sveti stefan

5 dining - taka, wana, sara, ikhas, kora (example of exclusives incl free dining etc at yara and others)
2 excursions - taka, sara
plunge pools - sara, wella, giri? how deep? their dimensions are not small
in 2012 puri low season half board replaced rate drop, dont know if theyre continuing...

my point was mainly that they have increased rates, removed seasons (^) and ruya/zoe are intro
not to mention room rate fees range from 0 to 26% (or 34% at kora) (also increasing via taxes etc)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 1:08 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
in USD including all mandatory nightly charges base 631-883 galla 730-1005 bagh 748-805 fayun 858-1151 gani 863 summer palace 900 taka 908-1029 jiwo 935-1210 pulo 1029-1150 dari / kila / nusa 1039 puri 1085 le melezin 1090 sveti stefan 1210-1295 wana 1274-1331 jena 1317 giri 1352-1499 sara 1465-1730 ikhas 1573-2602 yara 1870-2050 kora base pool 694-947 wella 1080 taka 1150-1271 jiwo 1162 zoe (opening summer) 1243 ruya (opening year) 1513-1694 dari / kila / nusa 1521-1759 bagh 1650-2530 pulo 1660-1869 sara 1840 puri 2070 giri 2222-2411 jena 2299-3328 yara 4348 sveti stefan
Thanks, fantastic work.

Still I would not use these numbers to compare. If there are mandatory nightly charges, I would like to know what is included as also these things has a value to me (food, excursions etc.) I prefer to compare room only to room only.

For the pool category, some resorst offers only pool in some or one room category which gives you so much more than "just a pool". And finally, there are resorts where I do not really think that a private pool is as important as in other resorts. A nice to have, rather than a need to have. For example I have stayed in several FS resorts with a private (most often plunge) pool that I have not used at all, while I have lived in the pool at other resorts. Depends on many different things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.