Community
Wiki Posts
Search

King Pacific Lodge - B.C.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

King Pacific Lodge - B.C.

Has anyone ever stayed at the King Pacific Lodge in British Columbia? It looks absolutely gorgeous and has so many outdoor activities available. Just wondering if one would feel "locked-in" since it's in the water and only accessible by plane.

Many thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by sandnsun61
Has anyone ever stayed at the King Pacific Lodge in British Columbia? It looks absolutely gorgeous and has so many outdoor activities available. Just wondering if one would feel "locked-in" since it's in the water and only accessible by plane.

Many thanks!
If you fish, then you don't care that it's isolated - that's the point. Friends that fish love it as it is unusually civilised for that sport.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
If you fish, then you don't care that it's isolated - that's the point. Friends that fish love it as it is unusually civilised for that sport.
No, actually, we don't fish. There seems to be many other activities offered to guests besides fishing. I was particularly drawn by the wildlife viewing opportunities, especially the rare Spirit Bears.

Thank you for your reply.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
While isolated, the lodge has its own helicopter, so not quite the typical fishing/hunting/roughing it lodge. While cabin fever is always a possibility, it shouldn't be a factor here as there is tons to do in a very scenic location! In fact a really stunning location. Bigger worry might be that it is in a rain forest with lots of flies (that bite!) at certain times of the year. It isn't cheap at CAD 20,000 per week (and up) but seems worth it. On my list, though I haven't been yet, though the lodge holds up to 30 guests which is 28 too many for my taste.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sandnsun61
No, actually, we don't fish.
I have been to a few of these fishing lodges. They are very very nice- however if not fishing, I would go somewhere else. I took my (non-fishing) partner to one- and she was bored senseless after 3 days. It is quite expensive also as others have noted- do it if you want to fish and you will have the time of your life- otherwise go somewhere else is my recommendation.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

although i dont recall how king pacific rates work, there is also the safari aspect as mentioned, and with helicopters usually they offer heli hiking and whatnot as well. dont remember if it was king pacific or another that also mentioned heli yoga. so options besides fishing.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
although i dont recall how king pacific rates work, there is also the safari aspect as mentioned, and with helicopters usually they offer heli hiking and whatnot as well. dont remember if it was king pacific or another that also mentioned heli yoga. so options besides fishing.
Agreed- however there is amazing hiking in British Columbia without the need for a fishing lodge. And heli yoga seems a bit- well over the top and self-defeating. IIRC the lodge is $20,000 a couple for 3 days +++ so if not fishing I would head to an Aman in F class and relax in their biggest suite for less money.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont recall king pacific specializing in fishing the way some others do.

if rates include a certain amount of helicopter use, it doesnt really matter what you use it for. besides aerial views, helicopters can get you places. like the top of a mountain.

if king pacific still has the deal on top suite, that was pretty good. (i posted it.)

i think the bigger question for some of these lodges is just how good they are in terms of the standards here.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:27 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...i think the bigger question for some of these lodges is just how good they are in terms of the standards here.
King Pacific is often rated as in the top 3 in the world. I haven't stayed there, but it looks promising; however I have stayed at similar lodges in NZ and they were well worth it, with standards well above FS level. Huka Lodge for example, but that is trout fishing which is a quite different kettle of fish. There seem to be a couple of dozen lodges scattered around the world in somewhat pristine wilderness that offer 6-star luxury and deliver, clearly there is a strong market for this kind of resort. But it doesn't get mentioned much on FT, compared to the Amans, for obvious reasons.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm still mulling it over ... plans are for next summer so no hurry. I'm also looking at a few other options such as Clayoquot Wilderness Resort, Sonora Resort or Nimmo Bay Resort.

Appreciate your help ...
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:06 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Clayoquot is, from what I hear, stunning although perhaps even pricier than King Pacific Lodge.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
Clayoquot is, from what I hear, stunning although perhaps even pricier than King Pacific Lodge.
I have always wanted to stay at Clayoquot, and from the people who have I only hear the very best things. 3 nights all inclusive 5500 pp or 4 nights 6600 pp for their new tents that have their own bathrooms.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deal - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12733730-post2.html

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2...1/dispaches/2/
...full-day, 116-mile slog along a relentlessly twisting river...annual restoration of the King Pacific Lodge, the world’s only migrating luxury hotel.

Each spring since 1999, the four-story lodge, along with around 5 tons of provisions, are towed over 24 hours in two sections from Prince Rupert to a primal wilderness deep in British Columbia’s majestic Great Bear Rainforest. It’s accessible only by float plane...

...colossal insurance premiums involved in transporting a multimillion-dollar lodge across tricky currents and ocean channels, often through dense fog...Chandeliers, china and glassware all need to be secured. It’s like setting up a resort every year from scratch.”

...after a mere 110 days...return to Vancouver for the winter.
why? clearly this is included in rates.
which then makes you wonder again about rates of other properties.

edit >

no real news coverage of king pacific lodge bankruptcy/shutdown?
seems to have sold and did not open for 2013 season (jun>sep)
http://www.pwc.com/ca/en/car/naal/index.jhtml
http://www.bcbusiness.ca/tourism-cul...to-find-a-hook
http://www.cntraveler.com/travel-tip...sts/marc-telio
http://www.anglingreport.com/archive...ls.cfm?id=3038

removed from rosewood site between jul 12 and jul 29 2012 (stopped paying rosewood?)
oct 6 2012 hotel site still said "a rosewood resort"
jan 14 2013 hotel site no longer said "a rosewood resort"
(mar 20 2013 bankruptcy jun 13 2013 sold)
hotel site was taken down between aug 28 and sep 20 2013

re (lack of) coverage (and discussion of sources) for example nothing in CNT? on hotel front page >
Among its many accolades, King Pacific Lodge was selected as the Best Resort in Canada by [Conde] Nast Readers' Choice Awards in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 23, 2014 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Bumping. King Pacific Lodge appears to have gone out of business. Clayoquot is the alternative?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Bumping. King Pacific Lodge appears to have gone out of business. Clayoquot is the alternative?
Are you looking for the best fishing?

If so I would go with Rivers Inlet- not luxury however certainly the best guides and the fly-in only location puts you very close to the salmon runs. We have organized there a couple of times- while it is not inexpensive the quality of the fishing is about the best in the Pacific Northwest unless you want to head up into the Charlottes where the weather is considerably rougher and you really need to know what you are doing if heading out without a guide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.