Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Palm Beach

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons Palm Beach

I was just wondering if anyone has been to the Four Seasons in Palm Beach after the rooms renovation? We have stayed at both the Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton in Palm Beach and were thinking about giving the Four Seasons a try again. We liked the decor of the Ritz-Carlton but were not impressed with the service, food and beach. We didn't like the decor at the Four Seasons last time but found the service and food to be pretty good. It seems they both now have great spa's. Any information would be great!
Old May 10, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by tmr10001
I was just wondering if anyone has been to the Four Seasons in Palm Beach after the rooms renovation? We have stayed at both the Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton in Palm Beach and were thinking about giving the Four Seasons a try again. We liked the decor of the Ritz-Carlton but were not impressed with the service, food and beach. We didn't like the decor at the Four Seasons last time but found the service and food to be pretty good. It seems they both now have great spa's. Any information would be great!
I've been since the renovation and have another trip I'm looking forward to at this property. The rooms look exactly like they do on the website, beautiful. And, the bathrooms have also all been renovated. The spa is excellent. I also find the location ideal as its a short drive to shopping but on a very private stretch of beach. Frankly, I hope this place stays a secret as the quality of the service and value for luxury is incredible. Go and enjoy!
Old May 10, 2011, 12:08 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I agree..... the renovations came out really nice. Its a nice place or a short break.... and the summertime value is huge
Old May 10, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the information! Sounds like things have improved! I think we will give it a second chance and I will do a trip report upon our return!
Old May 11, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Four Seasons Palm Beach

The renovated rooms are lovely, and they have a great beach! I grew up taking summer vacations in that part of Florida, so that area is near and dear to my heart.

When you consider their summer rates, beach, extraordinary service, lovely rooms/views, good food and easy-to-get-to location (for me at least), it's hard to beat the value! Inexpensive flights into WPB, or FLL is an easy drive.

Third night free promotion is combinable with FS Preferred Partner benefits, too.

*Daily full American breakfast for two through In-Room Dining or in the hotel restaurant (including buffets)
*Lunch for two once during stay (up to $85, excluding gratuity and alcohol)
*Upgrade of one category, based on availability at time of check-in (excluding signature suites and villas)
*Complimentary high-speed Internet access for all suite bookings
Old May 11, 2011, 7:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
I grew up taking summer vacations in that part of Florida, so that area is near and dear to my heart.
Me too on the childhood vacations! This is my favorite property for a couples get away in Southeast Florida. Even prior to the renovations, it was very good and this property did not get into any material disrepair. There was a major furniture re-do 8 or so years ago which helped hold the prior decor over. Post the most recent work, this property is without question the tops in terms of luxury - neither too modern nor too old fashioned - in the Palm Beach area.

and they have a great beach!
The beach today pales to what it was 10 years ago. Much of it was washed away in the [05/06] storms. At high tide, some of the nearby buildings now get hit by waves. While I still like the beach, and they have been able to make some efforts to restore it, it is far less wide and a fair bit steeper than it was prior to those difficult storms.

When you consider their summer rates, beach, extraordinary service, lovely rooms/views, good food and easy-to-get-to location (for me at least), it's hard to beat the value! Inexpensive flights into WPB, or FLL is an easy drive.
In the summer, this property has one of the best QPRs of any luxury hotel in the US. The fine dining restaurant is only open for limited periods during the summer, but the overall quality of the experience remains very high.

Third night free promotion is combinable with FS Preferred Partner benefits, too.

*Daily full American breakfast for two through In-Room Dining or in the hotel restaurant (including buffets)
*Lunch for two once during stay (up to $85, excluding gratuity and alcohol)
*Upgrade of one category, based on availability at time of check-in (excluding signature suites and villas)
*Complimentary high-speed Internet access for all suite bookings

Guests should also consider Amex FHR, which includes guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Assuming you take an evening flight out of PBI, this basically gets you a full extra day at the property....with the convenience of your room. Most of the free night promotions work with FHR, too.

This hotel offers free meals for kids five and under in the all day dining room.

A very unique feature of this property is that their kids camp is available for kids as young as three. Most hotels in south Florida, and certainly all the RCs, have a five year old age minimum. While I prefer the RC-PB (RC-Manalapan doesn't have the same charm, does it?) for traveling with kids (RC has two pools and a Club lounge (though not always in the summer)), if I had a four year old, I would consider the FS if he/she would enjoy the camp.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Poster

We had booked the Four Seasons but now might change to the Ritz-Carlton because we found out they have closed the Ocean Bistro for dinner and the Living Room is closed for the season as well... meaning that the only location for dinner and drinks is the Restaurant. Although I don't remember there being a bar in the restaurant so I wonder how that is set up. In fact the Living Room was our favorite thing about this hotel last time we stayed so its too bad that it will be closed.

Regardless of where we stay we will be sure to keep our reservation at the Restaurant as we had an amazing meal here the last time we were in Palm Beach!
Old May 17, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had booked the Four Seasons but now might change to the Ritz-Carlton because we found out they have closed the Ocean Bistro for dinner and the Living Room is closed for the season as well... meaning that the only location for dinner and drinks is the Restaurant. Although I don't remember there being a bar in the restaurant so I wonder how that is set up. In fact the Living Room was our favorite thing about this hotel last time we stayed so its too bad that it will be closed.

Regardless of where we stay we will be sure to keep our reservation at the Restaurant as we had an amazing meal here the last time we were in Palm Beach!
http://www.fourseasons.com/palmbeach...ar_and_lounge/
closes at 10, even though
http://www.fourseasons.com/palmbeach...he_restaurant/
says 11 for beverage service...

http://www.fourseasons.com/palmbeach/dining/
cabana 3/4 course dinner (4 course is $70 more than restaurant)

http://www.fourseasons.com/palmbeach...tic_bar_grill/
closes at dusk

its nice to see FS made the appropriate changes to website, removing Living Room, and removing dinner from Ocean Bistro, but maybe a little late

is anything closed at RC?

Originally Posted by NYBanker
A very unique feature of this property is that their kids camp is available for kids as young as three. Most hotels in south Florida, and certainly all the RCs, have a five year old age minimum.
FS >
miami is 4
only nevis and hampshire are also 3
although jimbaran, koh samui, provence are 2

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm
Old May 17, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
the Living Room is closed for the season as well...
That is frustrating. The Living Room was a very comfortable room to relax in. I guess the realities of the low occupancy and low prices eventually comes around.

Disappointing to see such service cuts during the summer.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Just back from a long weekend at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach. We had a very nice trip and I think they did a great job with the room renovations. Granted the rooms are not very large but the new bathrooms and furniture is very understated and beachy! We actually preferred the rooms over the Ritz this time around even though they were a bit smaller.
Service throughout the hotel was great! The pool staff were really wonderful and we loved our meals. I also loved the new spa... it is a great space with the best showers! My treatment was very relaxing and well done.

So.. the things we didn't like were about the physical property itself. It is just an ugly building.. The Omphoy next door updated its exterior and maybe the Four Seasons will in the future. I don't know why it bothered us as the interior is typical Four Seasons.. When we last visited we kept on commenting about the OG labels on the doors, and even after the renovation they are still there. I am suprised that Four Seasons would allow this. The lobby is beautiful with marble everywhere! The furniture seems a bit 80's but I think that is just a Palm Beach thing! Finally, the pool is simply to small for a resort of this size. We were there while the hotel was very busy so there were tons of people in the pool. Even though the pool itself is small there were always chairs available and the pool service is probably the best we have ever experienced in Florida.
So... we really enjoyed this property and I am glad we gave them a second try. The service was great and considering the price and ease of travel from New York we will visit again!
Old May 23, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the pool is simply to small for a resort of this size. We were there while the hotel was very busy so there were tons of people in the pool. Even though the pool itself is small there were always chairs available and the pool service is probably the best we have ever experienced in Florida.
"resort of this size" ? isnt it small for florida with good service for florida ?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
beachfront, tennis, no residences
- FS palm beach 210 rooms (2 tennis, 11K ft2 spa)
- RC palm beach 270 rooms (3 tennis, 42K ft2 spa)
(RC is losing its beachfront)

presumably superior to these smaller properties

palm beach >
omphoy 134

other >
soho beach house 50 (plus members)
raleigh 105
SLS 140

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:03 am
Old May 23, 2011, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Hi Kage,
Not quite sure what you were asking. We thought the pool was too small for a 200+ room hotel. If the hotel hadn't been full we probably wouldn't have thought to much about it but since it was, the pool just wasn't inviting with so many people in it! We liked that the Ritz Carlton had two pools however we found the Ritz-Carlton service lacking so that was the reason we wouldn't return. So... it was a good stay and I would recommend it!
Old May 25, 2011, 7:20 am

Thanks for reporting back. Always good to hear recent first hand experiences.

The facade of the hotel is very different from what it was 6 years ago. While the building is the same, several of the storms that hit the area in the mid-00 hurricane surge came to the east coast from the west...and destroyed much of the lush foliage that previously blanketed the entryway area of the property. The first time i visited the property post those storms I almost didn't recognize it despite many prior stays.

I agree the pool is small for the property. While the property isn't large, the single pool is small and not much more than a simple rectangle. During periods where there are a lot of kids on-property, it can be a bit overwhelming. When the ritz added the second pool between the central and south wings, it made a big difference in relieving some of the crowd from their main pool (which is, unto itself, much bigger than the FS pool...and importantly, irregularly shaped, which provides for the feeling of a bit more privacy while in the pool).

If room size is an issue, consider the premier rooms...they are in the main building, not the wings, and are larger than the different rooms in the two wings (except, of course, for the suites in the wings). The premier rooms are directly facing east (ocean) as well. I don't consider the wing rooms to be too small by any means, but they aren't large, either. With FHR, this property has traditionally said they won't upgrade you to a premier room. I've had success asking nicely during low season.

Were on-property dining options at night limited to the Restaurant or room service? Is the Living Room already closed for the season?

Last edited by NYBanker; May 25, 2011 at 7:25 am Reason: Addressed room size; mentioned premier rooms.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Dining options for dinner were limited to the Restaurant, which I am happy to report was just as good as we remembered! Great service and amazing food! The Living Room was closed for the season, however we enjoyed having cocktails outside facing the ocean at the Restaurant Lounge. They had a nice menu of small items which were wonderful and the service was really great. For breakfast and lunch the Ocean Bistro was open and Atlantic Bar and Grill was open for lunch. The Atlantic Bar and Grill was actually our favorite place at the hotel. Great food and even better view! Now I am wishing we were back at the resort!
Old May 25, 2011, 3:20 pm

Just checked out. WOW what a surprise.

Expected it to be the worst of my 24 Four Seasons so far, but it was not! It's now a solid Four Seasons. After a great renovation this looks like a Four Seasons should and with the new GM from Hampshire the service is probably improved. I think it was great. I noticed they got a lot of new staff and maybe that helped a lot.

Here is a video of my suite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIHrxjQ-b2o

The food was great by the way. The breakfast was the best in a long time.

Kindest regards,
Henrik

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.