Search

Trip report: Amanpuri and Trisara, Phuket, Thalland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Trip report: Amanpuri and Trisara, Phuket, Thalland

Flight and airport
We travelled by Air Berlin from Münich to Phuket, business class on the way there – tourist class back. While this particular business class does not compare to any “normal” business class (Air Berlin is charter with something like the old Lufthansa seats which cannot be reclined fully), the flight was quite OK.

Upon arrival we had booked the express service by Coral (?) which turned out as a waste of money given no waiting line at all at the passport control.

General
We stayed three nights at Amanpuri (garden pavilion, nice upgrade from pavilion) and 8 nights at Trisara (ocean view pool villa). First of all: I loved both resorts and am happy that we decided to split the stay between the two. I would recommend others to do the same, but it depends on what you want, as they are very different. I liked the variantion.

Below I will compare the two on a number of criteria:

Pre arrival service
The Trisara GM personally cared and answered all my mails and questions. Amanpuri GM never answered, and I had quite some issues with the girls answering mails at Amanpuri before we - finally - understood each other and my specific wishes.

Welcome
We felt very special arriving at Trisara, being showed around, greeted by everyone incl. GM while at Amanpuri we felt a bit rushed and not recognized as special guests (and of course we are ;-). Neither Trisara nor Amanpuri offered any kind of welcome drink (except water) upon arrival and no nice bottle on ice in the room. I have gotten quite used to a bottle of wine or champagne in the room waiting for us, and felt a bit disappointed about this. However, there were flowers, cookies and fruit + a welcome card, so I should maybe not complain…

Design and general
I really loved the timeless, monumental and beautiful Thai design of Amanpuri. The maintenance is excellent; I have been to several SE Asian resorts which are much newer, but have looked worn and tired, even just a couple of months after opening. This was absolutely not the case for Amanpuri.
Trisara looks less Thai and more modern in comparison, but still not what I would call up to date, a bit too heavy or static, hard to explain. Maybe just not completely my taste when it comes to design.
One big advantage of Trisara, however, is the possibility to go anywhere by buggy instead of walking. All the steps at Amanpuri is making it a bit of a hassle to get around when the sun is burning, even for fit people like us. The Trisara buggy service was also the most efficient we have ever experienced, never ever did we have to wait for one. Also the hotel cars could drive all the way to the villas and pick us up for excursions etc. which was convenient.

Accommodation
We were in a garden pavilion at Amanpuri and an ocean view pool villa at Trisara. It should be mentioned that we paid 50 % more for the villa at Trisara. A pavilion with view at Amanpuri would, however, cost more or less the same as a pool villa at Trisara.
Trisara villas are really much better! They are very large with huge bathroom + outside shower, lots of storage space in the wardrobe and a very large inside living area with huge, comfortable bed, inside sitting area, the best silent air condition plus a large outside terrace for dining and lounging and the biggest private pool we have ever had in a hotel. Absolutely great, though the style of the furniture was not my favorite as mentioned above. I also missed the inside-outside living that many SE Asian resorts offer. At Trisara you would either be inside the villa with doors closed or outside at your terrace. Sliding doors and more windows could have made this feel different. I would also have liked a more comfortable place to sit outside at night. The double sun beds at the terrace were quite hard and not perfect to sit in for reading/talking at night. Something like the lounge sofas at the beach with pillows would have been much better. Also the light outside was not good enough. It was really a bit too dark for reading, and also for outside dining. They offered us candles, but still we did not really see what we were eating.
While the pavilions at Amanpuri are really nothing size wise compared to the Trisara villas (smaller, limited outside area etc.), I was very positively surprised. I thought the inside area was bigger than I had expected and the design is just so timeless and beautiful, especially the bathroom. Also here very generous storage space in wardrobe. Missed storage space in the bedroom for books, toys, sunglasses, cameras and all those not bathroom related things I bring along. Also the bed was less comfortable and the airconditioning noicy and mostly too cold. Outside area has sun loungers that we did not use and a very nice Thai sala for meals and lounging. Good reading light in the night here.

Service
Both hotels offer excellent service. There was never one little mistake done for orders in restaurant or in room dining and all our requests were immediately taken care of to our full satisfaction, maybe slightly more automated and with less of a personal touch at Amanpuri compared to Trisara.
Housekeeping and room service really fantastic. Never one little thing went wrong and everything was just perfect.
One notice that everything is really about privacy at these two resorts, meaning that the personnel would keep at distance unless we would wish for something. Compared to FS resorts where we have spent most of our holidays the last years, we came to the conclusion that it was almost too quiet at Amanpuri and Trisara. We actually enjoy little talks with guests or personnel; always attend events like the GM cocktail or small group activities like boat trips or fitness classes which were not offered to any great extent at these two resorts. We wanted to join beach BBQ s at both resorts but these were cancelled because of rain, fitness training was offered only with PTs etc. What we, however, did do was to enjoy tea and little snacks at Amanpuri one day and to attend the Sunday champagne brunch at Trisara which were nice.

Beach and pool
The Amanpuri beach is a dream, one of the best I have ever been to; Maldives quality (but less fish to see, of course), soft sand, turquoise water, palm trees. Divine!!! Excellent service with comfortable loungers, pillows (really very good ones), plenty of towels, water, fruit, moving of umbrellas without having to ask etc. etc. The fact that it is not completely private did not disturb us at all, only very few people walk by some times. Only thing I did not like was the beach toilet which I found in need of a renovation + they should tidy and clean it more often.
The Trisara beach looks better at the pictures than in real life. It is only swimmable at high tide and the quality of sand is not soft and white as for Amanpuri + there is quite a bit of coral in the sea so that it can hurt to walk in the sea. Instead we enjoyed the main pool at Trisara a lot, and the Trisara pool is much better than the Amanpuri main pools: More interesting with different sections and – I have to say as many others have – they have umbrellas. The main pool at Amanpuri is really never used unless it is cloudy as they, for design reasons, do not have umbrellas. It looks stunning, but what is the point when no guests use it? Amanpuri does, however, have another pool (with loungers and umbrellas) at the beach and a small kids pool. This was good, but not as good as the Trisara pool.

Food
We felt that the choice in terms of venues was a big advantage in Amanpuri compared to Trisara: There is the main, Thai restaurant, the Italian restaurant, Naoki (the Japanese/French restaurantt) + down at the beach in addition to in room dining. At Trisara one would have all meals in main restaurant, offering inside and outside dining options and an international/Thai + a grill menu – both with lots of choices. However, going to another location/experience a different ambience for eating, not just being offered a large menue to choose from is something we like.
Quality of the food was excellent both in Trisara and Amanpuri. Mostly we enjoyed the Naoki restaurant at Amanpuri and Thai food in both hotels. Generally we liked the Thai starters better than the main courses: More spices, more tasty than the main courses. Don’t know why.

Costs
For some reason Trisara charges significantly more for a number of things compared to Amanpuri: my cannot-live-without-Diet Coke for example would cost more than double at Trisara and also the cost for an hour with the resort car was almost 70 % more expensive there. Also spa costs were higher at Trisara, but only a bit. However, the costs for excursions, private trainers or tennis lessons were higher at Amanpuri.

Spa
Visited the Amanpuri spa for massage once and the Trisara spa tree times (massage, Sodashi peel and wrap + Sodashi facial). While the quality of the treatments was excellent in both hotels, maybe a bit more to my liking at Trisara, the look and tranquil ambience of the Amanpuri spa appealed more to me.

Gym
The new gym at Amanpuri is nothing less than fantastic. Huge with all the best equipment, fantastic view, great trainers, a large, separate room for pilates etc. etc. Arriving at the relatively small, often not serviced gym room at Trisara, made my good intentions regarding keeping in shape during the holidays go away. It was not particularly bad compared to many other resort gyms, but really nothing at all compared to the gym at Amanpuri.

Outside Activities
We went by hotel car to visit Phuket town from Amanpuri. Very nice driver who showed us everything and waited with water and towels when we came back from own walks around. Some nice old buildings and temples to see in the old town, but not a must-do excursion. We ended the evening with dinner at “The Blue Elefant” which was very good.
We left Trisara four times:
- To see the Phantasea show: Very Disney like location with little shops and exhibitions to see. Great for kids. Show itself really well done, enjoyable for people at all ages.
- Lunch at nearby beach: Went there by boat and spent a nice afternoon at the beach, having lunch and drinks in the little beach bar. Good beach and service.
- Snorkel trip to island nearby: Not really recommended compared to snorkeling other places. Some fish and corals etc., but no wow. And I was burnt by a jellyfish. :-(
- Private half day boat excursion to Phan Nga Bay (where James Bond island is): Highly recommended. Spectacular islands and cliffs, very fast boat (40 knots, meaning we would be able to avoid hordes of tourists and get around very quickly from sight to sight), excellent service. After seeing the sights, we were taken to a dream beach where lunch was being prepared for us under a tree, very memorable.

Children
No kids at all at Amanpuri while we were there. However, resort is absolutely children friendly: Kids menus at all restaurants, toys at beach, great beach for sand castle building and playing, kid’s pool for young kids, farewell amenity for kids. Kid’s bed (rollaway) could either be placed in bedroom or they would put a mattress in the wardrobe area with a “fence”.
Some kids, but not many at this time of year, at Trisara. This would be very different during main school holidays we were told. Kids welcome with towel elephant at bed upon arrival, kids menus, kids club with activities, but since our son was mainly there alone, he played wii etc. and enjoyed himself his own ways. Tennis, table tennis and thai boxing classes that he loved. Lots of space for kid’s rollaway bed in villa, but in main room (bathroom a bit too narrow for a rollaway bed, but we put the mattress on the floor there in the night when we wanted to sit inside while our son was sleeping).

Wow. That was long. Still of course I am happy to answer questions.

Last edited by Musken; Mar 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Great report Musken! How many Aman properties is that for you now? I remember reading your helpful posts when I was researching Amankila/Jiwo before we visited those properties last year.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ray1022
Great report Musken! How many Aman properties is that for you now? I remember reading your helpful posts when I was researching Amankila/Jiwo before we visited those properties last year.
Amanpuri was our 6th Amanresort. Got the Amanjunkie T-shirt as goodbye presents at Amanpuri, even a Amanjunkie junior T-shirt for our son. :-)
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:53 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The best comparison I've ever seen for these properties. Well done! Someday I will make it to Phuket and will search this post out for reference.

I think those Amanjunkie t-shirts are only available at Puri which would explain why, 12 properties later, I still don't have one.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Fantastically detailed and useful report. Well done and thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by Ericka
The best comparison I've ever seen for these properties. Well done! Someday I will make it to Phuket and will search this post out for reference.

I think those Amanjunkie t-shirts are only available at Puri which would explain why, 12 properties later, I still don't have one.
Someone needs to get Ericka an Amanjunkie shirt as well! She also provided great advice when we were planning our trip. Great job all around!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:14 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Musken
Neither Trisara nor Amanpuri offered any kind of welcome drink (except water) upon arrival and no nice bottle on ice in the room. I have gotten quite used to a bottle of wine or champagne in the room waiting for us, and felt a bit disappointed about this. .
Being your sixth Aman it seems strange that you did not get a welcome drink in your room. I am a regular at many Amans as well and would be disappointed to a level I would complain, NOT having my bottle of Champagne in the room upon arrival.

Perhaps you should make your preference very clear, I did it once in Bhutan where they put a bottle of apple juice in the room as welcome drink - Champagne followed minutes later after my very acid remark.

Many of us are leaving big money at these places and they should not get away with neglecting us. Caring for us is cheaper than advertising and paying 25 % commission to agents the likes of Virtuoso etc....
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:41 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by behuman
Being your sixth Aman it seems strange that you did not get a welcome drink in your room. I am a regular at many Amans as well and would be disappointed to a level I would complain, NOT having my bottle of Champagne in the room upon arrival.

Perhaps you should make your preference very clear, I did it once in Bhutan where they put a bottle of apple juice in the room as welcome drink - Champagne followed minutes later after my very acid remark.

Many of us are leaving big money at these places and they should not get away with neglecting us. Caring for us is cheaper than advertising and paying 25 % commission to agents the likes of Virtuoso etc....
This was, as far as I remember, the first time we did not get any welcome bottle in the room at an Amanresort. I remember half and full bottles of champagne, I remember wine bottles but never nothing. However, I would never ask for it. For me it should be a (maybe expected, but still) surprise and it would not taste the same if I had to ask for it. It would feel like begging for a specific piece of jewellery for Christmas which I would otherwise not get, just not the same feeling as getting it because someone wanted to give it to me. (Of course I as a female know the art of hinting the right way so that I would still get it without asking specifically, but that's another story).

Maybe someone forgot to give it to us? We arrived very early in the morning. And we did get and upgrade which was nicer than a bottle, obviously, though we have been getting both at Amanresorts in the past.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:05 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Musken
For me it should be a (maybe expected, but still) surprise and it would not taste the same if I had to ask for it.
You are right, it should be spontaneous and a welcome gesture. Finally they are Aman....

Recently got TWO bottles (having two rooms) at Amanwella and the mood was set for spending on their F&B.

There was a time where they had import problems for alcohol in Indonesia and I was offered a rainforest dinner at Amandari in lieu of Champagne with the apologies of the then GM.

Nothing is not acceptable and confirms what I think about how specifically Amanpuri is run (I did not return there for 10 years - there is much better and cheaper in Phuket, especially for food and wine lovers). Thailand is doing too well, Bali will be mature soon and it is time to move over to Sri Lanka.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:06 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum

Erica....I find that very hard to believe....you? When I go now I always get multiple Amanjunkie shirts (for me and my girlfriend). I think I started getting these shirts after my fourth visit. I stopped counting how many Amans I have visitied a few years ago as it has become such a ritual for me that I have come to the conclusion thay this will be the only resort I will go to continually forever! I personally feel that one should get an Amanjunkie shirt after the sixth visit. These resorts are not easy to get to so six times seems like one has made a loyal commitment.

As far as the OP's comment regarding the champagne, I tend to think that this is at the discretion of each property's GM. Each Aman I visit has different welcome gifts. Sometimes its beautiful flowers, unique candies, champagne, wine, souveniers, cd's etc. However, to my recollection, the champagne has been a consistent offering upon arrival.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:21 pm

Musken, wonderful report, thank you for this! We had hoped to visit these hotels ourselves this spring, but haven't been able to commit, so I feel like I have had a vicarious trip through you!

As regards asking for a welcome bottle in the room if there isn't one on arrival, whilst I do not criticise those who do it, I wouldn't have the nerve myself, and particularly at an Aman where there are so many little extras that they give you in any event that it would seem to be perhaps "a request too far". I certainly wouldn't be upset if they forgot, and would never "remind" them! Each to their own, though.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:21 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Amanjunkie T- shirts

Agree about the report

Have sometimes stayed at both on the same visit as I really like the Amanpuri beach & restaurants .. views without the Western sun glaring into ones ' eyes in the afternoon from the various ocean pool villas at Trisara. But I really like the Trisara pool & relatively ' level ' villas/grounds.
I use the buggy all the time at Amanpuri as I do not ' trek ' uphill due to injuries ..perhaps I should not let on that the buggies.. actually some mini - tuk tuks are available at Amanpuri for all guests..

The Amanjunkie T-shirts are available to those repeat visitors ( " homecomings " ) to a specific Aman i.e. you have to stay at e.g. Amankila > once
Only the T-shirts from Amanpuri do not state which Aman it's from - it's assumed it is Amanpuri being the pioneer Amanresort.
All others will have e.g. Amanwana , Amankila , Amanjiwo , Amandari , etc in their stylized script & colours printed/embossed /embroidered somewhere on the T-shirt
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:40 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
The Amanjunkie T-shirts are available to those repeat visitors ( " homecomings " ) to a specific Aman i.e. you have to stay at e.g. Amankila > once
Only the T-shirts from Amanpuri do not state which Aman it's from - it's assumed it is Amanpuri being the pioneer Amanresort.
All others will have e.g. Amanwana , Amankila , Amanjiwo , Amandari , etc in their stylized script & colours printed/embossed /embroidered somewhere on the T-shirt
Ahhhhh! Well, I have a very nice collection of these in a rainbow of colors. Some paid for, some not. Still gonna have to make it to Amanpuri though.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:59 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Agree about the report

Have sometimes stayed at both on the same visit as I really like the Amanpuri beach & restaurants .. views without the Western sun glaring into ones ' eyes in the afternoon from the various ocean pool villas at Trisara. But I really like the Trisara pool & relatively ' level ' villas/grounds.
I use the buggy all the time at Amanpuri as I do not ' trek ' uphill due to injuries ..perhaps I should not let on that the buggies.. actually some mini - tuk tuks are available at Amanpuri for all guests..

Interesting! Now it all makes sense. The more I think about it, it seems to make sense that you would get the t-shirt after more than one visit to a particular Aman Resort and not cumulatively.

Thanks for the insight
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:41 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks a lot for all the nice compliments regarding my report. Makes it worth while to take the time to write it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.