Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most Luxurious and Relaxing Miami Beach Resort?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold Elite, Marriott Platinum and several other elites...

Hi everyone! Now, before anyone sends me links to other threads, I just want to say that I have read them but still in a quandry. I am going down to Miami Beach, FL this month for a big convention and staying at the host hotel - the Eden Roc for 6 nights. Then, on my last night, a Sunday, I get a night to myself and I can stay wherever I want. I have been looking at the Ritz Carlton South Beach. However, there is a huge music/party scene taking over South Beach area and from photos on the Internet, RCSB looks like it has seen better days. Very dated and kind of cramped looking with a rundown pool area.

I really want to relax and feel like I have escaped the insanity of South Beach and go to a very luxurious spa. I almost wish I could change my flight to go to Vegas for a night or two and stay at the Encore and spa there.

Usually these kind of prices do not upset me, but seriously, most of these so-called luxury hotels in Miami Beach look less than 5 star and serene and I cannot justify the price. I am quoted at over $700 (Virtuoso Rate) for the Ritz Carlton South Beach for a partial ocean and no club access. This hotel does not seem right. Is it really worth staying here for that price? The Virtuoso rate with Club Access at this time it is well over $900/night for city/resort view only. I am torn.

I do not think I am really a Setai person as I am not a fan of Asian cooking. So, if any other suggestions are in order I am all ears. Maybe I am looking for somewehre tucked away, small with luxury accommodations and a great spa. Well, I am open to anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by JimStraz; Mar 5, 2010 at 10:50 am Reason: wrong title and spelling mistake
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:32 am

Perhaps you should consider going the The Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. It is quiet. They have a great outdoor pool. The spa is pleasant. The restaurants are good.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
the RC SB is not worth $700 for a room with out club access.

I would sat the setai hands down is the best hotel. If you do not like the Asian cooking why not just eat your meals and one of the many Lincoln Road restaurants.

The Lowes is nice but is more of a 4.5 star.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:38 am

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton overnight on our way to Nevis. Check-in was confusing and it was a bad start to a vacation due to other things at the hotel. The shower leaked all over the floor, the phones didn't work in the room, the room had seen better days - that type of thing. I would plan on going elsewhere for your last night.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:42 am
Original Poster

thanks Benny

Originally Posted by Benny8444

I would sat the setai hands down is the best hotel. If you do not like the Asian cooking why not just eat your meals and one of the many Lincoln Road restaurants.

Thanks Benny. I pretty much just needed at least one person to talk me out of the Ritz Carlton South Beach. I want to be completely happy my last night in Miami. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

I am willing to try other areas of Miami like Coral Gables, but I do not want to be with a blue hair crowd. I am still fairly young and appreciate chic places.

Aren't there any posh small luxury resorts? Maybe I should just change my plane ticket and come back on Sunday when my time is up at the Eden Roc. Seems like it will be the easy way out! ha ha...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:36 pm
kmk

Originally Posted by Benny8444

I totally agree with everything you said.

I actually like the RC -- but without club access -- at about half the price you are being quoted.

The Lowes had tons of kids in the pool with those wet noodles the time I stayed there (granted this was about 4 years ago).

I stayed last spring at the Gansevoort and though I really liked it I don't think it's what you are looking for (more of a party hotel). The MO is relaxing, but nowhere not near the beach. The Shore Club room looked like a literal bomb shelter!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:48 pm

Casa Tua might be for you. The food is Italian and very good and the rooms are very nice.
I would pick the Setai over all the other hotels as I think Jonathan Wright's food is really good and the food at the beach front restaurant has much more then asian food, it has everything you want to eat when on vacation. I like the city view rooms over the court yard rooms as the court yard rooms tend to over look the parking area and the Days Inn and have less windows then the city view rooms. When I need a Bali fix there is nothing better then the service around the pool.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:59 pm

If you are willing to look beyond Miami Beach, you could try the RC Key Biscayne.

Completely different atmosphere than South Beach while still oceanfront. Much more relaxing than Miami Beach

Rates there (or at Setai) for March will probably be brutal though.

Mandarin Oriental could also be an option.

Good luck
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zigzag
Casa Tua might be for you. The food is Italian and very good and the rooms are very nice.
brilliant. only 5 rooms. mr and mrs smith is one way to access private club.

will be interesting to see what happens with casa casuarina. still in limbo IIRC.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
beachfront, tennis, no residences
- FS palm beach 210 rooms (2 tennis, 11K ft2 spa)
- RC palm beach 270 rooms (3 tennis, 42K ft2 spa)
credit suisse havent found buyer for (former?) gansevoort yet, and its currently being managed by > http://www.coralhospitality.com/

private rentals at setai and other condohotels let you avoid high hotel rates.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:05 pm

The downtown hotels are generally nicer, but are not on the beach. The Epic Hotel (Kimpton), Mandarin Oriental, Viceroy and Four Seasons are some good choices.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Have you looked at the new Canyon Ranch Miami? Away from South Beach, and definitely "spa".

BTW, I've stayed at Ritz South Beach twice and thought it was great. Perfect location for nightlife and food, fun Sunday Brunch. I thought the service at the pool was fine. But to each their own.

Four Seasons Miami is "nice", but very sterile and not near the beach.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
I was at the RC Key Biscayne earlier this year and really enjoyed it. It was a lot calmer than the chaos of South Beach. Spent one night in Hotel Victor on an award and couldn't believe the $500+ they wanted for an extra night (one night was enough for me). We visited the Setai for breakfast and had a very enjoyable breakfast buffet, the lobby and from what I saw looked really nice and it's probably where I would go if I had to return to South Beach.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
We spent winter break at the RC Key Biscayne and loved it. They have 4 restaurants and a very nice pool area as well as an adults only pool.

Rooms have an island feel to them and were just renovated last year.

It is on the beach and only a 15 min drive to south beach with out traffic and also 15 min from MIA airport.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am going to reconsider the Setai and also look at Key Biscayne for sure. I really want to be away from the nightlife of South Beach. 6 nights is enough! I will be sure to give a report on my stay. Thanks again!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:02 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by JimStraz
I really want to be away from the nightlife of South Beach. 6 nights is enough!
I've said it a few times in the Florida threads that look for something outside of SoBe... Acqualina in Sunny Isles is right up your alley here. ESPA is way above average and hard room product is very nice. If you love Encore rooms, you should like Acqualina. Might be hard to get a one-nighter confirmed, but it is worth a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.