Wiki Posts
Search

Villa D'Este - Lake Como, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I would seriously consider the new Il Sereno on Lake Como - very contemporary, so not at all like Vila d'Este, but quite refreshing I think, and with great views. http://www.ilsereno.com/
One Mile At A Time/Ben Schlappig aka Lucky has published recently a full review of his stay at Il Sereno Lake Como:

This might help some on FT when deciding where to stay at Lake Como, please see:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...e-como-review/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:43 pm

My friends are raving about Grand Hotel Termezzo
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i wonder re splitting a (prepaid) booking, like with other members of forum, although in this case Pliniana seems less ideal

interesting (fairly new?) >
grandhoteltremezzo.com/en/villa-sola/
grandhoteltremezzo.com/en/villa-sola/gli-eventi/

il sereno (only 30 rooms) >
is the restaurant full of nonguests?
interesting top 2 suites, 1 has dock

Villa d'Este will always have site, garden, pool

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 18, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
My friends are raving about Grand Hotel Termezzo
So am I.
I stayed there recently and it was brilliant...

The view from our Rooftop Suite

SanDiego1K, uggboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
[QUOTE=JohnRain;28715960]So am I.
I stayed there recently and it was brilliant...

The view from our Rooftop Suite

@JohnRain - how was the Butler service? Actually worthwhile or more of hype. Was looking at these newer rooftop suites at Tremezzo - they are appealing since they are newer in design compared to the "classic" rooms at many properties (not withstanding Il Sereno, but seems that property has a lot to be desired in terms of their service).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:01 am

Would you recommend Teremezzo over Villa D'Este?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by ray1022
how was the Butler service? Actually worthwhile or more of hype. Was looking at these newer rooftop suites at Tremezzo - they are appealing since they are newer in design compared to the "classic" rooms at many properties (not withstanding Il Sereno, but seems that property has a lot to be desired in terms of their service).
Our butler was very friendly and took care of all our needs, but I didn't use the service that extensively, ray1022. If you go for Tremezzo I'd strongly recommend booking a Rooftop Suite as they're very appealing indeed.

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Would you recommend Teremezzo over Villa D'Este?
Let me answer like this, HumbleBee: To me Lake Como was always synonymous with Villa d'Este and now that I stayed at Tremezzo I've discovered that I have at least two options...
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AF, DL, AZ, JAL, JB, AMEX, STARWOOD
We stayed at Villa d'Este last summer. It is pure magic... but very, very quiet. And lots of kids/families which undercuts the romantic, dolce vita vibe somewhat.

I'd really like to see them do something to liven the place up a bit. There is an uber cool 70's era disco on the property that barely gets used. It could be such a cool, chic venue in the evenings if they wanted it to be.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:51 am

The new Il Sereno on Como is doing a lot better than I expected. Definitely worth trying.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by descartes12
We stayed at Villa d'Este last summer. It is pure magic... but very, very quiet. And lots of kids/families which undercuts the romantic, dolce vita vibe somewhat.

I'd really like to see them do something to liven the place up a bit. There is an uber cool 70's era disco on the property that barely gets used. It could be such a cool, chic venue in the evenings if they wanted it to be.
I love Villa d'Este. It actually long ago was a favorite place of a very important and influential person in my life, and therefore by extension has the same significance for me. I feel like I am walking in the footsteps of someone dear to me when I set foot there. It's important to take a "Top" Junior Suite or higher category to get the full experience.

Other options must undoubtedly be very nice, and surely have more modern bathrooms, etc... but I'll never stay elsewhere to find out.

Feltrinelli is another story, so fantastic that it's the only other choice for me in that region.
susanc and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:28 am

This seems to have turned into the Lake Como thread, so I shall do my civic duty and warn everyone off Il Sereno.

Review: Il Sereno, Lake Como ? The Good, The Bad and The Luxurious
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:19 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
This seems to have turned into the Lake Como thread, so I shall do my civic duty and warn everyone off Il Sereno.

We only went for lunch so I didn't experience too much of the service but we enjoyed the food.

Though I thought the design was beautiful, I agree with your description of it being sterile. It just doesn't have the magic and old school glamour of Villa D'Este and Grand Hotel Tremezzo.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:23 am

Macmyday - A very witty and razor sharp piece of writing. I'm sure Sereno will ignore every word.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jun 24, 2018 at 11:04 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:16 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

The LHW (like R&C) designation means that they pay marketing fees. In the US it's like having a BBB profile. It's meaningless and quite pathetic. Too bad these marketing organizations are nothing but... way more accountability from an internal brand like Starwood, Hyatt or even Holiday Inn for standards.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like the manager is a real tool, like some of the executive board members of R&C!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay

MacMyDay thank you that has saved me a lot of money as I was desperately keen to try Il Sereno. No longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.