Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We currently are staying at the StR Punta Mita for our second time—this time in a one bedroom beachfront villa with private pool and jacuzzi.

We had dinner our first night at the StR Carolina fine dining restaurant with its new chef, different from our last stay—and it wowed us again. We had dinner last night at the Four Seasons Aramara, and it was good...but not great. Aramara cost more and wasn’t nearly as wonderful as Carolina. Not even close. The Aramara wine list was a lot more expensive, too—but no more comprehensive. (The StR Carolina wine list is about to be expanded even further, FWIW.)

The bar experience at the FS was far less intimate and definitely much more commercial feeling. We could have been almost anywhere. The bar at Aramara was particularly non-charming, though the service was very good. The bar by the infinity pool was small and not with any view or sense of place...and service was a bit tedious. The bar by Bahia was the most interesting, but its bright lights and energy were more emblematic of a city nightclub than a seaside resort of this supposed caliber. It really felt out of place and like it’s trying too hard. This is in stark contrast to the StR with its wonderfully charming Sea Breezes bar and the spectacular and intimate Carolina bar, not to mention the airy and open Murrieta’s bar with incredible and inviting ocean views. Or the Moët and Chandon champagne bar by the adults only pool at the StR. All of the StR bars looked and felt like we were actually in Mexico...unlike at the FS.

We also walked around the FS and again were reminded how large and sometimes more commercial-feeling it is compared to the more intimate (and more authentic) StR. With almost 3 times as many rooms and guests, the FS definitely feels and is bigger. It also was apparent that there were far more children and teenagers at the FS, at least for our visit. Yet even with 3 times as many rooms/guests, the FS has the same number of restaurant options (they’re just much bigger restaurant spaces) and two fewer pools.

The FS beach is almost as rocky as that at the StR, so it’s hard to say one beach is significantly nicer than the other in terms of swimming or wading. Yet the StR Beach is far more picturesque with the outcropping islands in the distance and a more heads on sunset view (at least at this time of year).

Two years ago i said we far preferrred the StR...and we find we still do. For all the same reasons.
Thank you for the input. We have been going to Casa Que Canta in Zihuatenejo every year for years and it is now so hard to get to from San Francisco we have stopped going. We have tried FS Punta Mita and liked, but did not visit St Regis and think we will try next time. It sounds very nice and we need some alternatives with easy flights from SFO to Mexico! We are looking for a Zihuatenejo alternative that is easy to get to in the winter!

bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Larkin

Thank you for the input. We have been going to Casa Que Canta in Zihuatenejo every year for years and it is now so hard to get to from San Francisco we have stopped going. We have tried FS Punta Mita and liked, but did not visit St Regis and think we will try next time. It sounds very nice and we need some alternatives with easy flights from SFO to Mexico! We are looking for a Zihuatenejo alternative that is easy to get to in the winter!

After doing PV year after year and finally tiring of it.....We are heading to la Casa que Canta for our first time this November. It has been a dream to visit for many years.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:38 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
For anyone interested, here is my Expert Review for our beachfront Luxury Villa stay this past week at the St Regis Punta Mita:

St Regis Punta Mita--amazing Luxury Villa stay and incredible whale encounter

We had an incredible stay. As mentioned a few posts ago, we dined also and checked out both the Four Seasons and the W. The Aramara dinner at the Four Seasons was just good; the Spice Market dinner at the W was really impressive, and much, much better. The dinners at Carolina at the St Regis, were totally the best fine dining of any restaurant anywhere in Punta Mita. We put Spice Market at the W on equal footing with Mita Mary's beachfront restaurant at the St Regis, as well. Basically, the St Regis blows the Four Seasons away on food/beverage. I think you'll also see from my review photos how authentically Mexican the St Regis feels compared with the more sleek and commercial feeling (and much larger) Four Seasons.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I have a slight variation on this question. Can anyone compare Four Seasons Punta Mita to Four Seasons Costa Rica? We have an opportunity to visit one of these next year and not sure which one to choose. We have been to Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta several times in the past year but not to Punta Mita. We were in Costa Rica years ago and toured most of the country but not the Guanacaste area. Trying to decided which Four Seasons will be a more relaxing and luxurious experience for a week.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:26 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelZap
I have a slight variation on this question. Can anyone compare Four Seasons Punta Mita to Four Seasons Costa Rica? We have an opportunity to visit one of these next year and not sure which one to choose. We have been to Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta several times in the past year but not to Punta Mita. We were in Costa Rica years ago and toured most of the country but not the Guanacaste area. Trying to decided which Four Seasons will be a more relaxing and luxurious experience for a week.
My husband and I had a really wonderful stay at the Four Seasons Costa Rica but it was 9 years ago. We booked a Canopy Plunge Pool Suite and it was worth it- we had an amazing view and we spent a lot of time in our pool watching the monkeys play in the trees right above us. The grounds were gorgeous (I love the architect who designed the place), the service was excellent, but it was pretty pricey even back then. (In 2016 we stayed for 8 nights next door at the Andaz Papagayo and because they upgraded us to a huge premier suite with private pool on DSUs we paid way less for 8 nights than we had for 3 at the FS) I do think the Four Seasons is a really special property- the views are spectacular and the service is top notch.

We have never stayed at the Four Seasons Punta Mita but my son and his wife are checking in there tomorrow for 4 nights. I will be happy to report back with their impressions. They have even higher standards than we do

I just found a few pics.

Last edited by damon88; Nov 8, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
We stayed at both the St. Regis Punta Mita (2 nights) and the Four Seasons Punta Mita (5 nights) in mid October. I thought I would share some of the things we loved the most (from the perspective of an active family with a high-energy 13-year old).

St Regis Punta Mita is excellent. Our room was spacious and comfortable, with a nice bathroom, including indoor and outdoor showers, and a big terrace with ocean views. We loved the different pools, especially the Sea Breeze Pool that overlooks Sea Breeze Beach. Excellent dining experiences across all meals, and the ceviche at Mita Mary was amazing! The service was warm and genuine. We really enjoyed the StR Punta Mita.

For our family, the Four Seasons Punta Mita was the unanimous favorite. We felt a very strong connection to the resort and to the amazing team that provided incredible service. Some of the highlights for us:

- We are beach & ocean lovers, and the FS Punta Mita was so much better then we were expecting in this regard. We spent a ton of time on both Cuevas and Manzanilla beaches, and the clear and very warm (86 degree) ocean water was amazing.

- Nuna Pool is huge (much bigger than it looked in the pictures), and the views, combined with the amphibious servers were fantastic. The Lazy River pool is a fun spot for the whole family to explore, and the Tamai adult pool is everything you would expect including luxury cabanas, great sushi, and fabulous cocktails.

- The rooms, suites, and villas come in all shapes and sizes, and some include the use of golf carts. We were in a section of the 5 bedroom Coral Suite that walked out onto a gorgeous beachfront private pool, and was steps from the ocean. Walking along the beach every morning to breakfast was a dream, as were the ocean and sunset views.

- FS Punta Mita is paradise for families. The Containers is a teen hangout area with ping pong, pool table, air hockey, virtual reality video games, Xbox and PlayStation, a movie theater, pinball, and arcade games. There is a basketball sport court, a water trampoline with slide in the ocean, kayaks, boogie boards, and snorkeling gear. Surfing lessons on a kid friendly wave. Bikes to explore the property. The Kids For All Seasons area for the little kids is next to the Lazy River and is one of the biggest and best we have seen. Endless activities for kids. (All complimentary, except for the surfing lessons from the awesome TropicSurf team).

- Breakfasts were typical FS outstanding. Lunches from the Nuna Pool Taco Cart were a favorite. Dinners at Bahia and Aramara were fantastic. Ketsi is being replaced by a building that is going to be the home of a new restaurant called Dos Catrinas. Expect beautiful ocean views, and a game room on the lower level that kids are going to love to escape to during meals.

For our family there was so much to love about the FS Punta Mita, and it truly exceeded our expectations in every category. We didn’t wish for anything else while we were there, and we can’t wait to return again as soon as possible.

(iPhone X photos, no filters)
Attached Images           
obscure2k, ps9a and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@KristenNix thanks for the comparison summary between the two properties! I’m so glad you had such a great time.

My takeaway from your summary:

(1) Both hotels are truly excellent
(2) Your family preferred the FS partly due to the beach and partly due to the amazing opportunities offered to the kids

Point 2 is precisely why we always have preferred the StR over the FS: more pools and bigger pools, including the very large adults-only pool at the StR offer an escape from kids. Also, the very fact that I do believe the FS is better for families is for us a big plus for the StR.

Unlike this summary, I must say that, having been to both properties in Jan 2018, we found the dining vastly superior at the StR—both in variety of options and the quality of those options. Aramara at the FS was quite underwhelming for us; Spice Market even at at the W Punta Mita was markedly better. Carolina and Mita Mary’s at the StR had no competition or counterparts with any options at the FS in our opinions. Altimira and Las Muriettas at the StR were generally quite as good as their counterparts at the FS. There just were so many more restaurant options that also were largely better at the StR.

The fact that the StR has less than half the room count as the FS only made the gulf seem more substantive to us.
KristenNix likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS recent changes >
3000 2BR ocean villa luna
3500 2BR beachfront arena / 3BR ocean villa sol
4000 2BR beachfront coral

similar price for st regis 3BR beachfront

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 1, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Thanks for the great review. I am ready for the new restaurant and bar to be finished. We were just there and it looks like they might not make it by Christmas.

They are both very nice resorts. We always go over to the St Regis for a meal or two, but the FS has the adavantage of just having the better location on the peninsula and, as you mentioned, it is very family friendly.
bhrubin and KristenNix like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
We will be visiting Punta Mita for the first time this February. Any ideas for families with children 5 to 7? Any advice on traveling safety as well? Thank you.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by mktozd
We will be visiting Punta Mita for the first time this February. Any ideas for families with children 5 to 7? Any advice on traveling safety as well? Thank you.
Unless you plan to meet up with cartel members there are no safety issues in Punta Mita.
For families, unless you are a Stariott fan, KristenNix post #81 above in the thread is very on point.
KristenNix likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:57 pm

Any recent updates on the FS Punta Mita? Sounds like there has been some renovations going on and based on the press release below, it sounds like the rooms have been renovated? Will be here at the end of the month for four nights (scored an awesome rate of $325/night via Amex FHR) and would love some insight on the property ... visited once when I was very young (like 13 years old young), and don't remember much (seeing as it was 16 years ago...).

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/annou...unta-mita.html
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
The rooms are being renovated and they may be done? They have built an entirely new main restaurant which has a second floor bar area overlooking the ocean. The resort looks great. It is a little humid this time of year. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
The rooms are being renovated and they may be done? They have built an entirely new main restaurant which has a second floor bar area overlooking the ocean. The resort looks great. It is a little humid this time of year. Have a great trip!
I'll happily report back after my stay if there's any interest on this thread...
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
I'll happily report back after my stay if there's any interest on this thread...
Please do share your thoughts. I'm very interested in the current status of the room renovations. I'm in the process of planning a return trip in January.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.