Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Punta Mita, Mexico: Four Seasons or St. Regis

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Kids 5 and under eat free at the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons has a FAR superior beach. I haven't eaten at the St Regis recently but it used to be mediocre and expensive. The food at the Four Seasons is good, but not great.

I don't know what kind of rates you are getting, but all things being equal, the FS is a significantly better property.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Valveking
Kids 5 and under eat free at the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons has a FAR superior beach. I haven't eaten at the St Regis recently but it used to be mediocre and expensive. The food at the Four Seasons is good, but not great.

I don't know what kind of rates you are getting, but all things being equal, the FS is a significantly better property.
I'm big on staying at FS properties given my experience in Hawaii and other properties. However the reviews on trip advisor seem to indicate that the St Regis is a better property.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:14 am

I think a lot of people staying at the St Regis are staying on points or very cheap rates and their expectations aren't quite as high. That is just IMHO. For people who frequent this forum, I am fairly confident that the FS is the better choice.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:27 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Valveking:

I've stayed at both and I actually prefer the St. Regis because of how they treat our son and because of night credits and suite upgrades. (Which is basically equivalent to what you implied.)

Both resorts are fine and if anyone can't enjoy the beautiful beaches, the wonderful golf and the excellent seafood at both resorts and in the city... then a therapist would probably provide a better ROI than vacationing.

Kids eat free under 5 at the StR.

In any case, if someone is niggling over the differences between the two resorts then renting a nice villa would be smarter, unless there are budget constraints.

Both resorts have too many guests who do not meet their targeted income demographic.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:46 am

"Both resorts are fine and if anyone can't enjoy the beautiful beaches, the wonderful golf and the excellent seafood at both resorts and in the city... then a therapist would probably provide a better ROI than vacationing."

Love this and so true. We are very fortunate!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Getting free nights at StR using my spg points totally outweighed the raving reviews of FS. Now I just need to get 9 more nights in to complete my spg platinum challenge next month.

declinespecificinformation - "Kids eat free under 5 at the StR": is this a standard StR benefit? Couldn't see this being advertised on their website.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
I think a lot of people staying at the St Regis are staying on points or very cheap rates and their expectations aren't quite as high. That is just IMHO. For people who frequent this forum, I am fairly confident that the FS is the better choice.
I agree with your first statement but as residents we have recently noticed a significant decline in service at the FS. Our recent dinners at FS restaurants have been average at best and the service was lacking such that I was embarrassed we had taken guests there.

The service at the StR is much more friendly and guest-oriented these days. There are always a number of managers walking around the property and taking time to engage with hotel guests and other customers. I have never seen anyone do that at the FS, even when we stayed there while our house was under construction.

The demographic at each hotel is definitely different and I am always a bit annoyed when I hear the StR touting celebrity visitors on social media, but none of those things affect our personal enjoyment of the beach club and service.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
Valveking:

I've stayed at both and I actually prefer the St. Regis because of how they treat our son and because of night credits and suite upgrades. (Which is basically equivalent to what you implied.)

Both resorts are fine and if anyone can't enjoy the beautiful beaches, the wonderful golf and the excellent seafood at both resorts and in the city... then a therapist would probably provide a better ROI than vacationing.

Kids eat free under 5 at the StR.

In any case, if someone is niggling over the differences between the two resorts then renting a nice villa would be smarter, unless there are budget constraints.

Both resorts have too many guests who do not meet their targeted income demographic.
Originally Posted by jja34-1
I agree with your first statement but as residents we have recently noticed a significant decline in service at the FS. Our recent dinners at FS restaurants have been average at best and the service was lacking such that I was embarrassed we had taken guests there.

The service at the StR is much more friendly and guest-oriented these days. There are always a number of managers walking around the property and taking time to engage with hotel guests and other customers. I have never seen anyone do that at the FS, even when we stayed there while our house was under construction.

The demographic at each hotel is definitely different and I am always a bit annoyed when I hear the StR touting celebrity visitors on social media, but none of those things affect our personal enjoyment of the beach club and service.
Interesting. That is too bad. I wonder why they would not be treating homeowners well?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AE(nothing), Fairmont FPC Platinum ,SPG Gold, Plat Amex, FS LUVR
I am reading these comments with interest. I have had the pleasure of staying at several Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts as well as the St. Regis and Luxury Collection of SPG. Recent reviews on different sites are suggesting that the Four Seasons Punta Mita's service, food and rooms are on the decline. However, St. Regis, after some growing pains, is taking the lead. I am planning a ladies trip to celebrate one of our gf's 50th bday and am carefully looking at both properties. ( Unfortunately used up my SPG points in San Fran at the most amazing St. Regis....absolutely divine...almost had a boutiquey feel ) So, all things considered in Punta Mita, prices are comparable for the 2 resorts, so it comes down to the holy trinity....service, quality of rooms and of course, food. I am very appreciative of any info that anyone provides that might finalize my decision.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:13 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The actual rooms at St Regis are very appealing as is the lay out of the resort... more compact less walking. I think the views from Four Seasons and the overall choice of rooms better (including private rentals/vacation homes with multi beds)

F&B at both are good..... Bahia at Four Seasons I think is excellent. Dining off property should be considered as would a trip to the small surfing town nearby for a change of pace. I liked the look of FS Spa more... St Regis spa was too open air for me which isn't great when temps are high and 100% humidity.

Bottom line... I don't think there is a wrong choice here, but would lean to Four Seasons
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: luxury traveler
Punta Mita: Four Seasons or St. Regis

We are heading to Punta Mita in early November with two other couples... We have previously stayed at Four Seasons 4BR villas but looking for beachfront... The presidential villa at St Regis looks great but the Four Seasons rates are tough to beat with third/fourth night free for separate rooms with Amex FHR amenities... Any deals on St Regis for the large beachfront villas? Dates are nov 5-9 for six adults. Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:11 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Recently returned from another great stay at FSPM. The service was great all around, as usual. The food was also good, though we tend to eat most of our dinners in the nearby town. As this was low season, there was no contention for amenities, etc., though I wonder how the hotel holds up at peak season.

Met a family who checked out of the St.R -- hated it -- and came to the FS after almost flying back home.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nnn
Met a family who checked out of the St.R -- hated it -- and came to the FS after almost flying back home.
Did they provide any context beyond just hated it? I'd be interested to know what they disliked so much.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. Pam
I am reading these comments with interest. I have had the pleasure of staying at several Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts as well as the St. Regis and Luxury Collection of SPG. Recent reviews on different sites are suggesting that the Four Seasons Punta Mita's service, food and rooms are on the decline. However, St. Regis, after some growing pains, is taking the lead. I am planning a ladies trip to celebrate one of our gf's 50th bday and am carefully looking at both properties. ( Unfortunately used up my SPG points in San Fran at the most amazing St. Regis....absolutely divine...almost had a boutiquey feel ) So, all things considered in Punta Mita, prices are comparable for the 2 resorts, so it comes down to the holy trinity....service, quality of rooms and of course, food. I am very appreciative of any info that anyone provides that might finalize my decision.
Also have had many stays with FS and StR/LuxColl, as well as Peninsula, Aman, and MO hotels. When I have 2-3 properties from which to choose offering comparable rates, accommodation, location, service, and food, I always opt for the one that provides points if possible--since I can have a great stay and still earn points for future travel redemptions. If I have elite status, as I do with SPG and Hyatt, that also factors into the equation--as SPG Plat often means I get upgraded to a junior suite, and as Hyatt Diamond I can use suite upgrades.

For me, since the FS and St. Regis in Punta Mita are likely comparable properties (I've stayed at the FSPM but haven't yet at the St. Regis), it is a no-brainer to earn SPG points and stay at the St. Regis (and earn more nights towards status, too). If the FS were superior, then I'd likely lean to the FS, but it isn't.

Usually, such properties are not so equally matched. In this case, however, there is no question that they are comparable. So I'd take the SPG points and elite night credits and pay for the St. Regis, all other things being more or less equal. (I also love the St. Regis butler service, FWIW.)
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:32 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Did they provide any context beyond just hated it? I'd be interested to know what they disliked so much.
They did. In fact I saw videos on the dad's cell phone of a very unfortunate situation they encountered. However, it turns out that the dad is a somewhat high-profile individual, and providing any specifics here could out him if the hotel were reading this. So I would rather not violate his privacy. But I will say I did not blame them for checking out, and I am usually quite skeptical of high-maintenance people who expect too much from luxury hotels.

That said, we met ANOTHER family at the FS who said they had been at the St. Regis recently, and they found the service at the St. Regis to be generally subpar. I was actually surprised to hear this, as we had had a bad experience at the St. Regis in 2009, around when they opened. (I believe I posted about it on FT, but it involved poor service by the pool, flooding in our room, etc.) I figured they would have worked out the kinks by now -- five years later -- but perhaps not.

Needless to say, based on our experience and what we have heard first-hand from others, we will be returning to the FS every time. I don't care enough about SPG points to compromise the little vacation time our family gets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.