Egypt Trip

Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:07 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Sorry for bumping a really old thread. Wasn't sure where to put this, the most recent Egypt discussion seems quite Cairo focused with a splash of Nile cruise recommendations.

I stayed at Sofitel Winter Palace in April. Food and beverage and associated service was terrible, but the hotel is quite charming, if dated. Management borderline incompetent. Review is available here: https://www.sojournsof.me/home/hotel...r-palace-luxor
I'm not sure what's going on with the Four Seasons building site (it's just down the road from the Sofitel), but it can't come soon enough to shake this place up, or convince owners to go ahead with their own renovation which looks as though would bring up to the level of the Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan.

I've also wrote something up on Sofitel Cairo Nile El Gezirah here: https://www.sojournsof.me/home/hotel...ile-el-gezirah
Also suffered from service issues relating to F&B, but at least the food was good there. Great complex though - I did go back and forth between here and the FS, but went with this based on value.

I have some other posts on Cairo and Luxor if anyone is interested. I haven't had time to write about it yet, but we also did a Nile cruise on a dahabiya with Nour El Nil (https://www.nourelnil.com) which might not be this forum's cup of tea, but it is now one of my most favorite travel experiences ever - I'm SO glad we chose this over the large Oberoi or Sanctuary options which I nearly swapped to.

I'll get around to Sofitel Aswan and what we did in Aswan too at some stage. The hotel here also had service issues relating to F&B service. I think it's probably an Egypt thing...

Edit to add: We booked this through DavidO's team and they were awesome. We did Jordan which I arranged myself (GHA membership for Kempinski Dead Sea and just direct for the Movenpick Petra). We booked Beirut at Hotel Albergo through David's team which is a fab little place we're hoping to get back to in October (we had to cut our trip short due to a family thing).

Last edited by SojournsOf; Jun 2, 2019 at 12:30 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by sydakllon
We booked Beirut at Hotel Albergo through David's team which is a fab little place we're hoping to get back to in October (we had to cut our trip short due to a family thing).
In Beirut, did you manage to get to Baalbek and, if so, how did you arrange it etc. Also Tyre, down in the south of the country.

I'm glad to see people on here are going back to Egypt and Lebanon.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:07 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
In Beirut, did you manage to get to Baalbek and, if so, how did you arrange it etc. Also Tyre, down in the south of the country.

I'm glad to see people on here are going back to Egypt and Lebanon.
We didn't unfortunately. We had a bad family situation happen so had to cut our trip short. We're planning to get back to Beirut in very early October so will do it then.

I actually think I'm going to drive myself - so head early from Beirut to Baalbek (around 2 hours drive), visit for a few hours, then drive to Cedars Forest (looks like 1.5 hours). Visit a couple of hours. Then drive another 1.5 hours to Byblos. And then 30 mins back to Beirut. Could probably get a driver, but I like driving and if we had the car, we could scoot down to Tyre the next morning or something. We just drove in Jordan and I can't imagine it being any different. Maybe too long of a day, but I've been told can definitely do Byblos and Baalbek together, going over the mountains to get to them vs backtracking through Beirut.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:15 am

I actually think I'm going to drive myself - so head early from Beirut to Baalbek (around 2 hours drive), visit for a few hours, then drive to Cedars Forest (looks like 1.5 hours). Visit a couple of hours. Then drive another 1.5 hours to Byblos. And then 30 mins back to Beirut. Could probably get a driver, but I like driving and if we had the car, we could scoot down to Tyre the next morning or something. We just drove in Jordan and I can't imagine it being any different. Maybe too long of a day, but I've been told can definitely do Byblos and Baalbek together, going over the mountains to get to them vs backtracking through Beirut.
Sorry to hear about your problems which forced you to cut short your trip. However, I am hugely impressed by your intrepidness - renting a car is something I'd not ever regarded as doing in Lebanon. The area around Baalbek is very close to areas of the Bekaa Valley/Syrian border areas which have significant security concerns. Here's our current Foreign Office advice which, I know, always errs on caution - -

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon

I just wouldn't want to take a wrong turning or have a wayward satnav.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
We didn't unfortunately. We had a bad family situation happen so had to cut our trip short. We're planning to get back to Beirut in very early October so will do it then.

we are taking a similar trip in December. What did you think of the Kempinski Dead Sea in Jordan? Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:26 pm
Was sydakllon

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Sorry to hear about your problems which forced you to cut short your trip. However, I am hugely impressed by your intrepidness - renting a car is something I'd not ever regarded as doing in Lebanon. The area around Baalbek is very close to areas of the Bekaa Valley/Syrian border areas which have significant security concerns. Here's our current Foreign Office advice which, I know, always errs on caution - -

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon

I just wouldn't want to take a wrong turning or have a wayward satnav.
Yeah - the Aussie foreign advice is do not travel even to Baalbek which is apparently ridiculous. We'd probably try and head from Baalbek to Bsharri and then down the mountain to Byblos from there. This does take us kind of around the 'trouble zone'. I'm a little blase about all this though (not recklessly so). Someone asked me about safety in Egypt because a bomb went off near the pyramids. I said I go to Paris a few times of year and would say risk on paper is just as high there. The next day a bomb went off in Lyon.

Edit: Just checked Aus, UK and US travel advice and the Aus one seems the most restrictive by far. UK looks like just all but essential travel, not do not travel.

Last edited by SojournsOf; Jun 2, 2019 at 6:45 pm Reason: more comments
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:28 pm
Was sydakllon

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights

we are taking a similar trip in December. What did you think of the Kempinski Dead Sea in Jordan? Thanks
It was fine! I posted a review about it on my site. Essentially we were only there for 20 hours or so though so can't make a full assessment. We had a nice room in the Ishtar area of the resort with a huge terrace - I think staying in the big corporate looking main building wouldn't be as good of an experience. The room is a bit dated but perfectly functional. The leisure facilities are fantastic. Service a bit off and food wasn't anything special or memorable. It does the job and I'm not really sure what other option you have on the coast... I'd return.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
It was fine! I posted a review about it on my site. Essentially we were only there for 20 hours or so though so can't make a full assessment. We had a nice room in the Ishtar area of the resort with a huge terrace - I think staying in the big corporate looking main building wouldn't be as good of an experience. The room is a bit dated but perfectly functional. The leisure facilities are fantastic. Service a bit off and food wasn't anything special or memorable. It does the job and I'm not really sure what other option you have on the coast... I'd return.
thanks so much for the update. I also checked out your website which is cool. We have a suite booked in the Ishtar area. Just confirming that is a bunch of separate smaller two story buildings versus the main high rise building right? Thanks again
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:04 pm
Was sydakllon

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights

thanks so much for the update. I also checked out your website which is cool. We have a suite booked in the Ishtar area. Just confirming that is a bunch of separate smaller two story buildings versus the main high rise building right? Thanks again
Yes - correct! They're all located around the lagoon style and smaller pools. It's a pretty amazing complex. Just make sure you located and plug in the mosquito thing in your room at night...
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:28 pm
Was sydakllon

Finally got around to writing about our stay at Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan.

Can see a few pics and read here: https://www.sojournsof.me/home/hotel...cataract-aswan

This is a really great property in terms of hard product and facilities. As I mentioned in a previous post, it is let down by similar service issues we encountered at the two other Sofitel hotels we stayed at in Egypt - F&B and associated service seems to really not be a strong point across Egypt. That said, we really loved this hotel, especially our suite in the palace section. I'm not sure why you would stay here and not opt for a Nile view suite/room in the historic old section of the hotel. We had a fantastic sized room (layout was more junior suite without a separate living area) with a great balcony with a sunbed overlooking the Nile. The pool area was nice to relax in the heat of the day when we weren't sightseeing (see a separate post for Abu Simbel / Aswan).

I'm not sure there is another option in Aswan, but definitely recommend a couple of nights. We only had time for one and it was a bit short to see what the city has to offer, especially at the end of April when it was getting HOT (37/38C on our days) and you don't really want to be roaming around outside sightseeing.

Thanks DavidO team for booking this for us.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:39 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Brilliant TR. I go to Egypt twice a year and how been wondering about this property. I haven't been to Aswan since I was a child but Johanna Lumley did on her travel show.

IME the FS properties in Egypt have fantastic F&B (I imagine they source the best produce etc), but overall most hotels do not.

I liked the Sofitel El Gezirah when it was a Sheraton. I don't like the decor or colour scheme now. The Kebabgy outside is spectacular but the property was very busy when we want for dinner.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jul 7, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:44 pm
Was sydakllon

Originally Posted by m0hamed
The FS properties have fantastic F&B (I imagine they source the best produce etc), but overall most hotels do not.
Cairo Sofitel food was good. Luxor was horrific. Aswan was okay. My main issue across all three was the service levels whenever there was F&B in the equation.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:06 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Cairo Sofitel food was good. Luxor was horrific. Aswan was okay. My main issue across all three was the service levels whenever there was F&B in the equation.
Of course. It is best to have very low expectations of service in Egypt, I'm afraid. Again the exception is the FS.

e.g. FS San Stefano has fresh Mango juice at breakfast. I asked for it at the FS First Residence and they didn't have it that day. The next morning they delivered some to my table when Is at down and every breakfast thereafter for the last 4 years.

Just looked at your Insta. Your content is magnificent!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Is there a reason for poor service in Egypt? Sydkallon, your website is a pleasure to look at!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by LinLant
Is there a reason for poor service in Egypt? Sydkallon, your website is a pleasure to look at!
Mentality perhaps. Though saying this, FS First Residence serves as an incubator for the GCC region and so many talents were discovered there, now thriving at other FS worldwide. Truly special!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.