FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by aa213bb
This sounds lovely, and we will be in Munich next weekend. And while this thread and comments elsewhere - in conjunction with the rates - leave me leaning towards the Charles, at the very least we will drop by for a drink and to enjoy the Christmas atmosphere.
Have fun
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:11 am

I had a lovely stay at the MO in November. It was just before the renovation was complete which was a drag. But the room with terrace overlooking the biergarten was perfect and the room service that was delivered with a smile and happily set up on my terrace was delightful. I am sorry that I do not know how to post the photos of the room. I would say we were not thrilled with the restaurant the concierge suggested for dinner but i would definitely return
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:36 am

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich

I have a booking here at the end of this month. From what I can see on review sites, this hotel looks lovely. But an older FT thread says to stay away from this property and go with Mandarin Oriental (the only MO I have stayed at is the one in Las Vegas and wasn't very impressed). I'm currently booked into a Deluxe Room at the VJ. Any feedback would be appreciated =)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Check out the Charles.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Rooms are extremely variable within the same category. Stayed twice last year and had one acceptable room - and one dreadful room in the annex on the lhs of the hotel. It has a sort of pimped-up faded glory thing going. But it didn't work for me.

Definitely won't consider staying there again. MO was far superior.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Just add: I've generally had good experiences with Kempinski hotels so was positively disposed before my stays. So much so that I ignored the consensus view here - tbh I couldn't quite understand what people's gripes were.

In the event I found the rooms were just sub-par in almost every aspect and not nearly as glamorous as the pictures on the web site portray. (Kempinski generally do have such fabulous photography of their rooms!)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:18 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. It's very much appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
This place gets mixed reviews here. Apparently it is possible to get a decent room and decent service in the newer sections. That, of course, didn't reflect my stay. Here is the thread that discusses various Munich options: Munich Hotels (fka Mandarin Munich). My comments about the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich are in posts 57 and 62:

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I had a terrible stay the year before that at the Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel. Do NOT ***EVER*** ask for a non-smoking room in Germany. I got a face full of that world renown 'German hospitality' when I complained about my smoking-non-smoking room.
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
The Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel put me in a non-smoking room. The problem was that it was directly above the 'smoking room' on the floor below. Ventilation is poor at this place, so the room was perpetually filled with smoke during the hours the 'smoking room' was open. 'Smoke' in a 'non-smoking room' doesn't count, even if I'm an ugly, rude, ill-bred American. When I complained the front desk went postal on me, making it VERY clear what she thought of an ugly, rude, ill-bred American complaining about the upgraded suite I had been assigned. I solved the problem by vowing never to return to the Vier Jahreszeiten Hotel. I also remember a maid blowing through a 'DND' sign on my door only to find me doing a deuce. (I know: TOO MUCH DETAIL!)

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jan 18, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:36 am

Stayed a few nights at The Charles back in December ... and it is perfectly lovely, though a bit anodyne.

MO was still under renovations, which made the rate difference even more laughable. I refuse to stay somewhere under construction.

Explored the bar and lobby area of VJ, and it has the most character of the group, that's for sure.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I stay at the VJ fairly regularly. I've also stayed at the Bayerischer Hof quite recently as well as at the MO. I haven't been at the Charles in over two years, however.

At the VJ, I've never had a bad room although I prefer the newer rooms and suites overall.

I've always found service to be excellent. How many hotels can boast of a tea sommelier (he's also the manager of the lobby bar).

From a location standpoint, the VJ is unquestionably my favorite (disclaimer: I used to live in Munich so I know the city fairly well) - and the BH would be my second favorite based on location.

From both a service and dining standpoint, I'd say the VJ, BH, and MO are all excellent choices.

I've written multiple reviews of these and other properties in Munich (Sofitel Bayerpost, Louis, among others) for Frequent Business Traveler magazine, where I serve as editorial director, and you can reference these reviews in case they are helpful via this link.

Happy to answer any specific questions. N.B. If you are going to stay at the VJ, I recommend joining the Kempinski Discovery (GHA) program before your stay. I believe once you join, you'd get a 10% discount on your stay among other benefits (entry level tier is gold and you receive several benefits including wake-up call with coffee and pastry).
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just finished a three night stay at the Charles. Through Virtuoso, they offered a one category upgrade at booking; I chose to go from junior suite to suite, although when I arrived they stretched it to executive suite. The room was in the round portion that overlooks the big O sculpture and it was a very pleasant room, especially during the day when the drapes were all pulled back and there was a 270 degree view from the bedroom.

Given that the MO was always extremely stringy with upgrades and very rigid in enforcing all their rules (no, you can't check out 30 minutes late, honest!), the Charles is now my regular Munich hotel. It is the best Rocco Forte hotel I've stayed in; I find Rocco Forte as a chain to be quite uneven.

The concierge at the Charles is excellent. Front desk staff are capable too. About the only work shirkers I encountered were the doormen who were always somewhere else when there was a door to open or a taxi to call.

I still dislike that the thermostats are limited to a 4degC range, although you can call the desk to change the range.

But overall, I see no reason to stay anywhere else when I am in Munich.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 15, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just finished a three night stay at the Charles. Through Virtuoso, they offered a one category upgrade at booking; I chose to go from junior suite to suite, although when I arrived they stretched it to executive suite. The room was in the round portion that overlooks the big O sculpture and it was a very pleasant room, especially during the day when the drapes were all pulled back and there was a 270 degree view from the bedroom.

Given that the MO was always extremely stringy with upgrades and very rigid in enforcing all their rules (no, you can't check out 30 minutes late, honest!), the Charles is now my regular Munich hotel. It is the best Rocco Forte hotel I've stayed in; I find Rocco Forte as a chain to be quite uneven.

The concierge at the Charles is excellent. Front desk staff are capable too. About the only work shirkers I encountered were the doormen who were always somewhere else when there was a door to open or a taxi to call.

I still dislike that the thermostats are limited to a 4degC range, although you can call the desk to change the range.

But overall, I see no reason to stay anywhere else when I am in Munich.
Nice with upgrade at timo of booking. Never had problems with doormen so far, so could be a one day problem.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Given that the MO was always extremely stringy with upgrades and very rigid in enforcing all their rules (no, you can't check out 30 minutes late, honest!),
Booking with FHR you are upgraded at time of booking, so the hotel doesn't have much of a say in the matter. And guaranteed 4pm check-out. It's been a long time since I stayed at this MO, but I recall getting an extra upgrade at check-in.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Booking with FHR you are upgraded at time of booking, so the hotel doesn't have much of a say in the matter. And guaranteed 4pm check-out. It's been a long time since I stayed at this MO, but I recall getting an extra upgrade at check-in.
I though only if you have a Centurion card
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by offerendum
I though only if you have a Centurion card
Is that still the case? I can't keep up. I know for sure that its true for CTS, but not sure about PTS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.