FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Funny you should ask! I just finished a four night stay there today, so I guess it's appropriate for me to comment. I was upgraded to their second highest category, the Executive Tower suite, which is 115sqmt. There are two of these in the hotel, and I would say the hard product clearly meets the standard of a luxury hotel anywhere. Service levels at the hotel were fine but note that they do not offer turndown service. I would say this specific room category is nicer than many suites at the Charles hotel. Can't compare it to a suite at the Mandarin Oriental because I've never stayed in one (and stopped staying at the MO because of the snottiness and inflexibility of the staff).

The negative of the Andaz is that the location, while in a nice, safe, walkable part of Munich, isn't that convenient to many attractions Their restaurants are limited, although the breakfast was very good and I also liked their small coffee shop Bicicletta which is, you guessed it, bicycle themed. But the food is not anywhere near a Michelin star level.

I didn't try any other restaurants in the immediate neighborhood as they didn't look that inviting. However, a five minute tram or bus ride away (or 20 minutes walk) is the thriving area of Munich Freiheit, which has numerous (possibly a hundred or more) choices at the intermediate-price level.

Despite the location issue, I'd definitely stay again. I am also a bit of a public transit fanatic when it's good, and found a way to get from MUC to the front door of the hotel with only one transfer (S bahn train 8 to Ostbahnof, followed by 54 bus -- which changes to 142 at Munich Freiheit -- and then stops literally 100m from the front door of the hotel).

The hotel offers local transport in a BMW on a first come/first served basis, but I never tried this so don't know about availability.

It's a great choice if you have a car or are willing to otherwise deal with the transport issues. I'd say that the upper suite categories are quite reasonably priced at rack compared to the Charles and MO.
More than two years later and I hit the exact date? Impeccable timing . Thanks so much for the impressions! We don't mind transit or walking, mainly hoping to be in an area that isn't just.. completely overrun with tourists and tourist traps when it comes to food, which is why we'll often try to avoid staying in the "core" part. Sometimes that works, sometimes it's not worth it. That said, maybe for a first visit we'll stick to either Hof or 4JZ, which appear to be the mainstays here. MO prices are exorbitant for our dates so not even considering that.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:10 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
More than two years later and I hit the exact date? Impeccable timing . Thanks so much for the impressions! We don't mind transit or walking, mainly hoping to be in an area that isn't just.. completely overrun with tourists and tourist traps when it comes to food, which is why we'll often try to avoid staying in the "core" part. Sometimes that works, sometimes it's not worth it. That said, maybe for a first visit we'll stick to either Hof or 4JZ, which appear to be the mainstays here. MO prices are exorbitant for our dates so not even considering that.
I don't remember what hotel i stayed in before the MO or the Charles, but I don't think it was the Bayerischer Hof.or the Vier Jahrezeiten. Possibly another "well-regarded" hotel. It was horrid. Munich is filled with faded glory grand hotels that are far past being retired. Especially avoid convention hotels. Please be very careful in your selection.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Hof or 4JZ, which appear to be the mainstays here.
As far as I remember MO and Charles are the mainstays here. Personally I had only colleagues staying at 4JZ and what I heard wasn't too appealing. Hof gets very mixed reviews also. With the recent renovations my next stay will be at MO, but of course only if not totally overpriced. Otherwise I will be back at the Charles.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is Bayerischer Hof a member of both LHW and Preferred Hotels? According to their website, they are, but Ive never seen a hotel belong to both at the same time!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:48 am

Anyone have any information about the seemingly new Koenigshof, a Luxury Collection Hotel ? I'll be in Munich for 2 nights in August and have some Marriott points to burn - figured this could be a good use as it looks like a beautiful property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.