FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by scented

Not luxury!
exactly right
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Hey there, LTNS! I have had decent luck with the concierge at the Charles -- but not with tickets or reservations. They handled some shipping and customs issues well for me on two different occasions. Maybe that's transferable to what you need, maybe not.
Thanks, Richard, and yes, it HAS been a long time.
i don't think being a good or great concierge on other issues necessarily translates to this; for example, a number of years ago the concierge team at the George V, which had been excellent with other things, failed to get me a ticket to a sold-out gala performance at the Opera. So I'd like to find a concierge with a good track record on this, or a hotel with a relationship with the theatre.

Last edited by rfrost; Mar 14, 2018 at 1:34 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Anyone stay at any of the SPG or Marriott hotels? Any preferences?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Anyone stay at any of the SPG or Marriott hotels? Any preferences?
Check the SPG or Marriott forums. They are not luxury hotels so shouldn’t be discussed here. They’re all ‘meh’.
offerendum and manstein58 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Check the SPG or Marriott forums. They are not luxury hotels so shouldn’t be discussed here. They’re all ‘meh’.
Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:30 am

So based on the above recommendations, it seems that The Charles hotel is a real winner, and I found a decent AMEX FHR rate. Can anyone confirm if spa access is included with the hotel? Also, anything else worth noting?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:32 am
Suspended

I personally prefer the MO and the renovated rooms in the VJ over the Charles, not least because of the location.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MarkP24
So based on the above recommendations, it seems that The Charles hotel is a real winner, and I found a decent AMEX FHR rate. Can anyone confirm if spa access is included with the hotel? Also, anything else worth noting?
SPA is of course included.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Bayerischer Hof

Yesterday we had drinks and food afternoon on the "Roof terrace", 6th floor. Very popular, need to wait a bit, nice view, nice staff, mixed food choices incl. Asian style, cocktails and champagne. We liked it very much, first time there (We go to MO "The Terrace" usually, which is also nice).

Here are the Restaurants and Bars choices:

Restaurants and Bars
http://www.bayerischerhof.de/en/fun-...ants-bars.html

Incl. a 3* Michelin Restaurant, Trader Vics, a jazz club, The "Blue Bar" (probably the nicest in Munich), and many more choices. They have a Cinema with F&B service and selected movies also.

I have not stayed there (live not far away), so can not tell anything about the rooms, these here look nice:

Rooms and Suites
http://www.bayerischerhof.de/en/home...ms-suites.html

The location is top. "Promenadeplatz" square is most central but more quiet, one side you enter the pedestrian zone, 5-10 mins. by foot to Marienplatz, many restaurants and shopping around.

Bayerischer Hof has highest reputation among locals. The hotel hosts the yearly "Security Conference".

Last edited by submonte; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:21 am Reason: selected (spelling)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
SPA is of course included.
Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
Bayerischer Hof

Yesterday we had drinks and food afternoon on the "Roof terrace", 6th floor. Very popular, need to wait a bit, nice view, nice staff, mixed food choices incl. Asian style, cocktails and champagne. We liked it very much, first time there (We go to MO "The Terrace" usually, which is also nice).

Here are the Restaurants and Bars choices:

Restaurants and Bars
http://www.bayerischerhof.de/en/fun-...ants-bars.html

Incl. a 3* Michelin Restaurant, Trader Vics, a jazz club, The "Blue Bar" (probably the nicest in Munich), and many more choices. They have a Cinema with F&B service and selected movies also.

I have not stayed there (live not far away), so can not tell anything about the rooms, these here look nice:

Rooms and Suites
http://www.bayerischerhof.de/en/home...ms-suites.html

The location is top. "Promenadeplatz" square is most central but more quiet, one side you enter the pedestrian zone, 5-10 mins. by foot to Marienplatz, many restaurants and shopping around.

Bayerischer Hof has highest reputation among locals. The hotel hosts the yearly "Security Conference".
The attitude they get away with though ... no thank you, I’ll gladly pass.

Their idea of hospitality is not mine, probably because they are trying to get the local market. Internationally this hotel is unheard of.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

The attitude they get away with though ... no thank you, I’ll gladly pass.

Their idea of hospitality is not mine, probably because they are trying to get the local market. Internationally this hotel is unheard of.
For a long time it was well known as favourit hotel of the German "Halbwelt". Hosted box-trainings etc.
scented likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:52 am
Suspended

Internationally this hotel is unheard of.
Nonsense.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum

Thanks! Think will book the Mandarin room as it seems to be the best value. Nicest room seems to be Tower Suite but for a Business Trip I dont pay 2500 per night.
Good call. We stayed in the Tower Corner Suite and regretted it. The room was dark, had no storage but some free standing cubbies, mold in the shower, only one
sink in a large bathroom and the most perplexing, annoying lighting system ever....the only way to work one of the lights was to open a bedside table, which seemed to trigger one of the lights.

There were two steps down to the living area which were dangerous at night and most of the living area was just empty space. The TV remote in the Living Area triggered the TV in the bedroom area. The promised 180 degree view was really only 90 degrees, unless we wanted to climb over the headboard of the bed
to open the curtains behind it. Only one elevator was working during our stay, which was a nuisance at times; the loveliest staff but lots of glitches in service.

All that said, we might stay there again because of the location, but Munich could really use a strong new entry as the product here is not up to the price point. I took some photos, which I can post shortly if anyone is interested.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Good call. We stayed in the Tower Corner Suite and regretted it. The room was dark, had no storage but some free standing cubbies, mold in the shower, only one
sink in a large bathroom and the most perplexing, annoying lighting system ever....the only way to work one of the lights was to open a bedside table, which seemed to trigger one of the lights.

There were two steps down to the living area which were dangerous at night and most of the living area was just empty space. The TV remote in the Living Area triggered the TV in the bedroom area. The promised 180 degree view was really only 90 degrees, unless we wanted to climb over the headboard of the bed
to open the curtains behind it. Only one elevator was working during our stay, which was a nuisance at times; the loveliest staff but lots of glitches in service.

All that said, we might stay there again because of the location, but Munich could really use a strong new entry as the product here is not up to the price point. I took some photos, which I can post shortly if anyone is interested.
Yes please

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.