Reload this Page >

Amangani, Jackson Hole, WY

Amangani, Jackson Hole, WY

Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Not Aman culture , anywhere .
But who knows with changes in the world / USA these days though

I do not recall tipping at Amangani .

With the rates at Giri , one would expect that tipping is already covered ..
If staff are coming from LAS , who knows ( these days ) ..
Well.... I agree that in the rest of the world it is not Aman culture to accept tips, but at Amangani we found that just about everyone accepted tips!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Well.... I agree that in the rest of the world it is not Aman culture to accept tips, but at Amangani we found that just about everyone accepted tips!
They ma accept but they didnt expect. If I consider the service charge (more than most people pay for a whole room) I had absolutely no Problem not to tip.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Anyone ever use Amangani as a base for National Park visiting? Asking for my parents. Seems like the Tetons seem very doable but Yellowstone is further afield....

thanks
FDW
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:40 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Anyone ever use Amangani as a base for National Park visiting? Asking for my parents. Seems like the Tetons seem very doable but Yellowstone is further afield....
We stopped by for a look. It's roughly comparable in distance from Yellowstone to staying in Jackson. I wouldn't want to do that. It's not just the time it takes to get to Yellowstone but then you have substantial distances to drive within the park. I'd try to book the presidential suite at the Lake Hotel inside Yellowstone (only possible to book by phone, so availability is better than normal lodging). We spent two nights there this August and found it very comfortable. Then I'd stay at Amangani before or after my stay in the park.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Drive to Yellowstone is about 2 hours to the entrance. Much, much too far to be the base for an adequate tour of Yellowstone. Fine for the Tetons.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

thanks
FDW
We did .
However , we were driven by an Aman guide who was extremely knowledgeable about the area & parks . We enjoyed the drive to Yellowstone & scenery so for us using Gani as a base in this manner was a breeze . We were packed a picnic lunch which we had at the lodge . Started early for a whole day trip .
The Tetons was like right there , so depends on how many times you wanted to drive around .
We did not rent a car , & back then it was not busy so the Aman vehicle & guys were readily available .

You may want to check it out what it is like now .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 15, 2017 at 1:53 pm Reason: Forgot to enter which park , typo
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:51 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We stopped by for a look. It's roughly comparable in distance from Yellowstone to staying in Jackson. I wouldn't want to do that. It's not just the time it takes to get to Yellowstone but then you have substantial distances to drive within the park. I'd try to book the presidential suite at the Lake Hotel inside Yellowstone (only possible to book by phone, so availability is better than normal lodging). We spent two nights there this August and found it very comfortable. Then I'd stay at Amangani before or after my stay in the park.
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Drive to Yellowstone is about 2 hours to the entrance. Much, much too far to be the base for an adequate tour of Yellowstone. Fine for the Tetons.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
We did .
However , we were driven by an Aman guide who was extremely knowledgeable about the area & parks . We enjoyed the drive to Yellowstone & scenery so for us using Gani as a base in this manner was a breeze . We were packed a picnic lunch which we had at the lodge . Started early for a whole day trip .
The Tetons was like right there , so depends on how many times you wanted to drive around .
We did not rent a car , & back then it was not busy so the Aman vehicle & guys were readily available .

You may want to check it out what it is like now .

thanks for all the info; my parents have decided that the altitude is too high for my dad (he doesn't sleep well above 6K feet)... might look into Amangiri for them....

FDW
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:26 pm

Based on my experience driving this region, Yellowstone is much too far and far too big to be attempted from Amangani. When you're in the Tetons don't forget to yell, 'Shane! Come back!'

Last edited by Pausanias; Nov 18, 2017 at 11:58 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:57 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
For some odd reason, I never posted a review of our visit in March....here it is...

Apologies as I'm a bit late on this (only 9 months). We were at Amangani in March and ski season (record 500+inches of snow)...The Suites (all rooms are called suites) weren't impressive (based on our taste), it was fine to sleep in and a great fire place, a terrace you wouldn't use during winter visits. Felt like I was at an upscale summer camp but certainly not a luxury resort. The pool was fantastic. felt great just stepping into it. The hot tub was def. HOT, for me, for most of us, but maybe not for our fellow Flyertalk friend, MacMyDay Food was my biggest issue...I finished my meals but only because I hate wasting food and needed the calories to hibernate till May. GM, Stuart is a great guy and very mild mannered. I saw him often walking around checking up on guests. Even had a booking last week for a client in which I emailed the staff with him on copy and he replied within an hour to help arrange things. I had interesting discussions with staff members about the discrepancies of service between NA and Asia Amans. They agreed that it's difficult for NA Amans to compete with Asia Amans from a service perspective due to the cost of wages and attrition.
Amangani is 15 minutes away from the slopes (FS Jackson Hole is ski in and out) so many view that as a negative (which I can understand) but the elevated location of the resort provides a much superior view as well. Making the pool even more enjoyable.

But overall, we had a great stay and enjoyed chatting with staff while we sat by the wood burning fire place...we aren't skiers (well, I'm not..my wife still reminds me that she's paying for my sins) so we took up dog sledding, which was one of the most fun/memorable experiences we've ever had. Unfortunately, anytime I ponder on the good times, the smell of dog crap also comes charging to my memory...but well worth it, just pull your scarf up to cover nose.

Photos from our visit:
https://www.besvisor.com/amangani/zm...0ue824ounkzoa6
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:00 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Based on my experience driving this region, Yellowstone is much too far and far too big to be attempted from Amangani. When you're in the Tetons don't forget to yell, 'Shane! Come back!'
To your point, I think for Yellowstone visits in the winter, you'd have to do their overnight excursions (via snowmobile) in cabins setup near by. Which I'm told is a very special way to see Yellowstone and a memorable experience.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks @BESVISOR for that review!

I am surprised you found the suites so unimpressive. We loved our Grand Teton Suite, and our mothers loved their regular (Superior) suite, when we were there 5 yrs ago. I think the food and beverage was much better for us. Maybe things have slipped since.

My TripAdvisor review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...e_Wyoming.html

I have to say that the endless conversation about how better the Asian Amans are with service than other places is making people lose sight of the trees through the forest. Asia is better at service. Period. That’s why. Deal with it. If one wants a sense of place, well the N American and European sense of place isn’t quite as service-oriented as in Asia. Shocking. Guess why? The Chinese Amans level of service is not as amazing as those in Japan. You know why? Chinese service culture isn’t as amazing as that in Japan. Also, people in some cultures will be very service-oriented because it’s the only way they can ever make a decent wage and earn a living to support their families. In N America and Europe, people have more options.

When I stay in N America, I compare my stays with those in N America (and perhaps Europe). In that regard, Amangani and Amangiri really do shine. If one wants an Asian Aman experience, perhaps one should stay at an Asian Aman.

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
For some odd reason, I never posted a review of our visit in March....here it is...

Apologies as I'm a bit late on this (only 9 months). We were at Amangani in March and ski season (record 500+inches of snow)...The Suites (all rooms are called suites) weren't impressive (based on our taste), it was fine to sleep in and a great fire place, a terrace you wouldn't use during winter visits. Felt like I was at an upscale summer camp but certainly not a luxury resort. The pool was fantastic. felt great just stepping into it. The hot tub was def. HOT, for me, for most of us, but maybe not for our fellow Flyertalk friend, MacMyDay Food was my biggest issue...I finished my meals but only because I hate wasting food and needed the calories to hibernate till May. GM, Stuart is a great guy and very mild mannered. I saw him often walking around checking up on guests. Even had a booking last week for a client in which I emailed the staff with him on copy and he replied within an hour to help arrange things. I had interesting discussions with staff members about the discrepancies of service between NA and Asia Amans. They agreed that it's difficult for NA Amans to compete with Asia Amans from a service perspective due to the cost of wages and attrition.
Amangani is 15 minutes away from the slopes (FS Jackson Hole is ski in and out) so many view that as a negative (which I can understand) but the elevated location of the resort provides a much superior view as well. Making the pool even more enjoyable.

But overall, we had a great stay and enjoyed chatting with staff while we sat by the wood burning fire place...we aren't skiers (well, I'm not..my wife still reminds me that she's paying for my sins) so we took up dog sledding, which was one of the most fun/memorable experiences we've ever had. Unfortunately, anytime I ponder on the good times, the smell of dog crap also comes charging to my memory...but well worth it, just pull your scarf up to cover nose.

Photos from our visit:
https://www.besvisor.com/amangani/zm...0ue824ounkzoa6
FlyerEC, chinmoylad and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 1, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:27 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks @BESVISOR for that review!

I am surprised you found the suites so unimpressive. We loved our Grand Teton Suite, and our mothers loved their regular (Superior) suite, when we were there 5 yrs ago. I think the food and beverage was much better for us. Maybe things have slipped since.

My TripAdvisor review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...e_Wyoming.html

I have to say that the endless conversation about how better the Asian Amans are with service than other places is making people lose sight of the trees through the forest. Asia is better at service. Period. That’s why. Deal with it. If one wants a sense of place, well the N American and European sense of place isn’t quite as service-oriented as in Asia. Shocking. Guess why? The Chinese Amans level of service is not as amazing as those in Japan. You know why? Chinese service culture isn’t as amazing as that in Japan. Also, people in some cultures will be very service-oriented because it’s the only way they can ever make a decent wage and earn a living to support their families. In N America nd Europe, people have more options.

When I stay in N America, I compare my stays with those in N America (and perhaps Europe). In that regard, Amangani and Amangiri really do shine. If one wants an Asian Aman experience, perhaps one should stay at an Asian Aman.

Yeah, not sure why and really can't even put a finger on it but the room just didn't do it for us. We were just in the entry Superior room but I toured all the other suites and feelings remain the same. But that's just me and I'm a flawed being
I completely get your perspective in that NA Aman resorts should be comp. to other brands' NA resorts (and not Asian Amans)...but part of me also think a global brand is responsible to find ways to ensure global consistency as well. There's a reason for loyalty in a brand. Which is knowing no matter where you land in the world, you can expect the same consistent level in hard and soft products. But I understand why that's unrealistic....then again, this is the brand's problem, shouldn't be the customer's. Amankila was our first Aman, we fell in love with it and just used it as the benchmark ever since. Honestly, being a Travel Agent, I hate telling clients (whom have never heard of Amans) how great Aman can be and how much we love it but only to follow up with, ohh, please don't hold that expectations for the NA ones, though.

Have no idea if any of this is making sense to anyone aside from me...

p.s. in addition to St. Regis SFO, I added 1 night at FS (unfortunately, not in the renovated rooms) and 1 at Ritz Carlton as well....just to get a feel for the land. Dec 25 - 29, and Jan 1...If you're around, would love to meet and trade some stories. Can't decide if Benu is worth the splurge or not...have you been? if so, would love to hear your feedback!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Dec 1, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Yeah, not sure why and really can't even put a finger on it but the room just didn't do it for us. We were just in the entry Superior room but I toured all the other suites and feelings remain the same. But that's just me and I'm a flawed being
I completely get your perspective in that NA Aman resorts should be comp. to other brands' NA resorts (and not Asian Amans)...but part of me also think a global brand is responsible to find ways to ensure global consistency as well. There's a reason for loyalty in a brand. Which is knowing no matter where you land in the world, you can expect the same consistent level in hard and soft products. But I understand why that's unrealistic....then again, this is the brand's problem, shouldn't be the customer's. Amankila was our first Aman, we fell in love with it and just used it as the benchmark ever since. Honestly, being a Travel Agent, I hate telling clients (whom have never heard of Amans) how great Aman can be and how much we love it but only to follow up with, ohh, please don't hold that expectations for the NA ones, though.

Have no idea if any of this is making sense to anyone aside from me...

p.s. in addition to St. Regis SFO, I added 1 night at FS (unfortunately, not in the renovated rooms) and 1 at Ritz Carlton as well....just to get a feel for the land. Dec 25 - 29, and Jan 1...If you're around, would love to meet and trade some stories. Can't decide if Benu is worth the splurge or not...have you been? if so, would love to hear your feedback!
I think you make sense to most people on here, actually. I’m the outlier.

I thought Amangani and Amangiri were both outstanding. Our service and food/beverage at Amangiri was comparable to that of our stay earlier this year at the more commonly lauded (and Asian) Amanbagh. Our service and food/beverage at Amangani was comparable to anything we had in Asia, though not as outrageous as Amanjiwo or maybe Amansara.

Just as some people romanticize their experiences with a spouse after they die (they could do no wrong...forgetting the times they did them wrong!), I think some people convince themselves that Asian Aman service is always inherently better. And while it often is...it isn’t always. And in case anyone hasn’t noticed, higher occupancy at Aman has always left people feeling that service wasn’t quite as amazing. I think some people are so used to going to Asian Amans that are at moderate to low occupancy and comparing them to N American Amans that usually are at high to full occupancy that they don’t realize their mistake. Apples to oranges.

I also think Asia seems more exotic to some people...and so they judge Asian destinations differently. N America isn’t so exotic to most. I think this matters more than many are willing to admit.

Also, the staff at a N American Aman doesn’t think it’s beneath you and/or isn’t grateful for a minimum wage to serve you as can be true in many Asian Aman locales. Any wonder why the service at Aman Tokyo and Aman Venice leaves so many feeling cold?

Aman Summer Palace wasn’t as hot for service but they recovered wonderfully—but they were at half occupancy (and still didn’t upgrade us).

Amangiri treated us Iike gold and had no hiccups really—despite being at 100% occupancy. Amangani treated us like gold and had no hiccups really—despite being almost at 100% occupancy. I’d say you can get amazing service that Aman is proud of at N American Amans. Maybe not always....but anyone reading reviews of Asian Amans recently isn’t paying attention if they haven’t noticed a change there in Asia.

P.S. I sent you a PM about SF.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:33 am
formerly htang333

@bhrubin Nonetheless, glad to hear you guys had a wonderful experience at both Gani and Giri!!! Hope to visit Giri this year....and maybe Jiwo soon as I keep hearing high praise for that property.

Agree with you on the way in which we often do romanticize about things (not just applicable to travels) and may alter expectations/preceptions. Aman Tokyo was an odd experience for us indeed..still don't know if I love it but want to visit again. The service was bit cold but I also wonder if it's due to Aman Tokyo's unique CITY HOTEL environment....making it too difficult to mimic the resort service expectations. However, I suppose that goes back to my point of is it the brand's responsibility to figure out how to deliver consistency? despite 25 rooms, 80 rooms, wages, culture, etc...Either way, the worse of Amans are still better most, in our experience and we will continue to check more off the list. Really invested in seeing how/if Aman NYC is going to change the NYC market in 2020.

Cheers!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To your point, I think for Yellowstone visits in the winter, you'd have to do their overnight excursions (via snowmobile) in cabins setup near by. Which I'm told is a very special way to see Yellowstone and a memorable experience.
"their" cabins?

does gani still use that one tour company?

many (mostly not amanjunkies) do not not understand how big an impact GM has at amans (and other brands in past) as well as small independent properties. (especially, but not limited to those vs other brands.)

BESVISOR, there is not a single brand that has consistency today. the world has changed, even if owners (FS) have not. peninsula is the last to begin owning less equity in several of their newer properties. what (can) remain are things like feel and style, in terms of brands, the more abstract and less quantifiable (generally speaking, and as bhrubin discusses) things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.