Amangani, Jackson Hole, WY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangani, Jackson Hole, WY

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:22 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by KatW
Opinions as to which is most beneficial: booking through Virtuoso or through FHR?
The Jackson GM is very engaged with Virtuoso..... he is a personality, much like John Reed in Bhutan.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:45 pm
Original Member

Thanks, ABG, that's useful.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:10 pm
Epi

Programs: Aeroplan
Just stayed at Amangani this past week, and I have to say I'm addicted! My wife and I stayed and skied for almost a week and I'm so glad I picked this over the Four Seasons Jackson Hole.

I've stayed in various 5-star properties around the world including some very good 5-star resorts, but Amangani was my first Aman and even with all the good things I've heard about the brand, it seriously blew me away.

It was a very, very quiet week as it's low season there and at times it almost felt like we had the place to ourselves which was just fine with me.

The service level was flawless. Everyone always seemed to know who we were and what our itinerary was and was unfailingly polite, but there was also an unexpected friendliness from all of the staff who were more than willing to chat about anything and who seemed to genuinely like their job. Perhaps the fact that a lot of the staff were seasonal ski bums added to the 'chill' atmosphere of the place, but they've certainly 'out-Andazed' Andaz, with service better than the Peninsula.

We got picked up in a brand new BMW X5 (the only fault I'd say is that they would never move the front passenger seat all the way up, so if you sat behind it there was never any legroom), and all shuttles to and from town were in one of their X5s. Unfortunately the shuttles were quite expensive but with very little options in town, it was a necessary evil. We were given a tour of the property (no drink in hand though), but had a free bottle of wine and some fruits in our room.

The food 'problems' that people hinted about before in this thread do not exist anymore. Breakfast was exceptional and there was a huge selection (no more breakfast buffet). The lunch selection was likewise large but we only indulged once due to skiing. The dinner options were more muted, but considering every other good restaurant in Jackson Hole serves basically the same things (meat, meat, meat) the Grille did it better, and we had one of the best steaks we've ever had there. Sure the meals were not 'Michelin-class' but they were exceptional and very fitting for the location, and I don't think a tasting menu after skiing would be fitting.

They have a neat ski service. Basically there's a private ski chalet for Aman guests, so when we checked in, they moved our skis over there automatically and unpacked everything for us. There were multiple daily shuttles there, and when we'd arrive our stuff would be neatly laid out for us preemptively for us to change into. Even better was it was 20 feet from the main gondola (about the same distance as the Four Seasons). The staff there were all ski bums, so they were super helpful in letting us know the daily ski conditions and giving tips of the best trails to go on.

The building itself is gorgeous. Jackson Hole is all about amazing views, but I have no doubt that Amangani has the best view of all hotels in the area (rivalling the >$10 million houses all around), with it's 24-hour outdoor hot tub the perfect way to unwind after a long day of skiing. I have heard people complaining of how the building is looking old with scruff marks and so on, and it is true that there are marks, but then again because it's all stone and wood and 'classic' design, the effect is more of a well loved alpine chalet rather than worn out.

Regardless, everything was generally in tip top condition. If there was only one complaint, the rooms themselves had a pretty small and old TV, but then again, who goes here to watch TV? They had a giant TV in the main room though.

In terms of amenities, the spa was small but quite beautiful, same with the gym which featured top of the line equipment. The library was the perfect place to read a book and enjoy the view, and the nightly live music by the fireplace was a great way to unwind. Their bathroom amenities were Aman-branded (I actually like how there were not throw-away bottles and the soaps caome unwrapped, is this an Aman-wide thing?) and were L'Occitane quality.

While everything was impressive, it was the little touches that put this place over the top. There was the Aman backpack with free hand warmers in the room. The leather Aman luggage tags I got on my luggage that I noticed at the airport when I left. Their special consideration for us when our flight was delayed a day. The Superbowl 'party' they set up with Superbowl snacks. The nightly live music by the fireplace. And of course the super friendly service and atmosphere which really made it feel like I was staying in some (non-existent) billionaire friend's ski chalet.

True, we used this place more as a hotel than as a true 'resort', but that is more my travel style than anything else. If the American Amans are supposed to be 'subpar' I can't even imagine what the Asian ones are like.

I wonder what Aman I should go to next?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Welcome to FT Epi !

What a lovely first stay at an Aman & TR . Very happy to know you had a wonderful time & that Gani seems to have improved by leaps & bounds to now attain " benchmark " Aman standard since opening

You have all the Asian Amans to choose from besides the European ones , not forgetting Giri .
Pulo , Kila , Jiwo ( there are 5 Amans in Indonesia alone not counting the Aman ' s ' boats ' you can sail on around the region to Raja Ampat , Komodo Island .. ) , Nusa , No'i , Taka , Sara , etc in Asia .
Then AmanCG , Ruya , Zoe , etc in Europe .

FYI , some Amans don ' t even have in room TVs , it ' s deliberate from Puri days .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 8, 2015 at 5:20 pm
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:11 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Yep a few of the Amans you have to request a TV if you specifically want one. But then if you are specially requesting one to catch your favourite TV series, you're probably missing the point (though I'm sure Aman will do all it can to help provide).
Old May 5, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Does anyone has any experience with the Amangani Suite. There seems to be very little detail to be found about this suite type. Even searching for images is problematic when the suite name is identical to the hotel name.
The Amangani suites are a bit more open plan with a larger bath area and nice sized balconies (or patio if on the first floor). They are not among the "top" suites unlike at so many other Aman properties with suites being named after the resort property. They basically are slightly nicer than than the deluxe suites in that the open plan makes them feel a bit larger.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Bumping thread. Some dude by the name of Michael Hainey trashes Amangani in the WSJ: How Bad Vacations Are Like Bad Relationships

Two comments for Mr. Hainey:

- Please do more research the next time you book a high end hotel. If you were looking for a party, Amangani and Jackson WY, ain't it. Maybe a $99/night all-inclusive in Cancun?

- Please get a life.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:33 pm

Trashes Amangani?

That article has nothing to do with Amangani ... it's only tangentially mentioned.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Trashes Amangani?

That article has nothing to do with Amangani ... it's only tangentially mentioned.
?? It seemed to me that most of the article was about Amangani. The type of vacation didn't suit the writer.

"I wanted something luxe. I found it in the Amangani Resort, 5 miles outside of Jackson Hole, Wyo.: a five-star resort in the middle of mountain splendor.

Within the first 15 minutes I knew I had made a mistake. A big one. I will never forget the “ka-thunk!” my room-door made as it closed behind me. I stared at the Teton Mountains, sun shining on the snow-capped peaks—and all I could think was…I. Am. Alone. And in the silence I heard the silent scream of my self: “You’re trapped.” I was a man alone; alone in unspeakably beautiful nature, left to confront that most terrifying of all creatures: himself. It was the luxury-hotel version of Leo DiCaprio in “The Revenant.”

I fled my room, eager to find other people. That’s when I discovered I was the only guest in the resort. Or, if other guests were staying there, I never saw them. I went to the restaurant. That fear you have of dining alone, embarrassed by the pitying stares of others? All I wished for that night was for someone to see me, even if I was the schnook eating alone. I would have welcomed their mockery, for in their mockery my existence would be validated. Alas, as I sat there, eating my steak, I had no one. If a vacationer vacations alone in the mountains and no one sees him, does he exist? "

And it went on, including his outing to Yellowstone not being to his taste, and his decision to flee the park and hotel.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:05 am

Correct - the article is about how a luxury destination of solitude does not suit the author. And reconciling his desires, as society's told him to have, versus what he actually wants.

Amangani is a mere sidenote.

Further, what criticism does he have? MAYBE that the door is too solid?

The whole thing is fluff and humdrum nonsense. But I genuinely cannot imagine reading it and taking it as a criticism of Amangani; or, even, Yellowstone.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Tipping?

Can some of you who have stayed give some insight into tipping at Amangani?

I'm sure that charges where no check is presented, the service charge is simply included. But what about bags, valet, bar, ski valet, etc.? There seems to only be "pro-tipping" and "anti-tipping" people on the forums. I'm curious what is generally considered fair and generous without being awkward or inappropriate.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by paterwdb
Can some of you who have stayed give some insight into tipping at Amangani?

I'm sure that charges where no check is presented, the service charge is simply included. But what about bags, valet, bar, ski valet, etc.? There seems to only be "pro-tipping" and "anti-tipping" people on the forums. I'm curious what is generally considered fair and generous without being awkward or inappropriate.
For Amans , it ' s a no tipping corporate culture .
However , if there are exceptional individuals , one may give something as a token of appreciation . Sometimes , you will find something mentioned n your suite that indicates saying you may leave the GM or someone in the " front " an envelope for everyone to share - especially at an Aman located in a rather poor region .
Personally , since being a long time Amanjunkie , I often give my Aman family presents if I visit around CHRISTmas or if during CNY / LNY/ Tet / other similar occasions , I will leave an appropriate gift ( according to local customs )
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
However , if there are exceptional individuals , one may give something as a token of appreciation . Sometimes , you will find something mentioned n your suite that indicates saying you may leave the GM or someone in the " front " an envelope for everyone to share - especially at an Aman located in a rather poor region .
Personally , since being a long time Amanjunkie , I often give my Aman family presents if I visit around CHRISTmas or if during CNY / LNY/ Tet / other similar occasions , I will leave an appropriate gift ( according to local customs )
Wonderful advice!

I wouldn't even think about handing over a tip while bags are being delivered... not my style. Also, knowing Aman most of the time you'll arrive at your suite/villa, the bags are already happily sitting in the closets or are being unpacked while you were given the usual introductions to everything
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks... but I'm asking specifically to the two American Amans. I understand the culture outside the US. But I'm wondering if tipping for the bellman, valet, or concierge is common/expected. In any other hotel I would be horrified if I didn't tip generously. But is that the common or expected gratuity at Amangani or is it generally not done?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by paterwdb
Thanks... but I'm asking specifically to the two American Amans. I understand the culture outside the US. But I'm wondering if tipping for the bellman, valet, or concierge is common/expected. In any other hotel I would be horrified if I didn't tip generously. But is that the common or expected gratuity at Amangani or is it generally not done?
Not Aman culture , anywhere .
But who knows with changes in the world / USA these days though

I do not recall tipping at Amangani .

With the rates at Giri , one would expect that tipping is already covered ..
If staff are coming from LAS , who knows ( these days ) ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.