Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Southern California - Ojai, Bacara, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southern California - Ojai, Bacara, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I have stayed about 15 years ago at the Stauffer in Indian Wells and last year at the Hyatt Grand Champions. 15 years ago the Stauffer was nice. The (adjacent) Hyatt was poorly run and underimpressed me a lot. Probably the worst FHR property I ever visited.

Have booked the FS Aviara Residence Club - like the spacious units and good atmosphere.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Does anyone have views on Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. Rooms look a bit too tiny for my taste (judging from the website).
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Many people are really in love with Shutters. I have been there only once and it is definitely an intimate property. Personally, I dislike Soviet Monika, the city where Shutters is located. That being said, it is a very excellent location for a tourist as long as you want to shop well, eat well, and hang out on the beach. If you're looking for golf and/or major cultural attractions, you must drive several miles.

As for the property itself, the rooms are somewhat understated, similar to the Montage. However, if I am paying that much money for a hotel room I want to be enveloped in pure luxury.

Other people may feel differently.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: Air Canada, AA, SPG, HH
Love the Ritz Carlton in Laguna, was there for dinner/drinks on Sunday night with family and friends and I was truly wowed by the property. The Hotel itself is stunning and the views are fabulous, and the property was child friendly. We were seated next to a really nice family that had small children and they had a great time. We had drinks out on the observation deck overlooking the beach and watched the sunset. The patio is heated, so even though there was a cool breeze it was a perfect southern california evening. I have been to the Montage and the St. Regis as as well on business and I highly recommend the Ritz over both those properties. The RC has stunning views, decor and ambience. As a sidenote for you romantics out there, there were giant bunches of pink lilies and yellow lillies along the hallways and entrances and the fragrance from the flowers and the ocean breeze fill the inside of the hotel really setting the tone for the evening. A very romantic and dreamy setting for those of you experiencing the hotel with a significant other.

Dinner was also very nice at Restaurant 162 ( I highly recommend the truffle fries and the lobster )
Old May 5, 2009, 4:03 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Benny8444
Pelican Hill would be my top choice.

Another Option is the RC in Laguna

FS Avaira is another choice but is close to San Diego but is only a 70 min drive to newport beach.

I would avoid Palm Springs as it is too hot and there is no beach.
Slightly OT. I may have to take a trip (family business) to San Diego in a few months - and wonder how far a drive (time-wise) it is in general from FS Aviara to Rancho San Bernardo (I can compute the distance - but never know in California whether I will be crawling on roads or going at posted speed limits). Robyn
Old May 9, 2009, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by trojanman
Benny mentioned RC Laguna Niguel. I LOVE this property and would live here if I could. The $40MM renovation is stunning and the place is very classy without being snobbish.
Sometimes I just simply cannot believe what I read here.
How can you "love" this place?

IMO RC is nowhere near any "luxury", it's beat by some clean and newer
Holiday Inn Express hotels I've seen. The carpets are new, but
not sure how they spent that money on renovation because the windows
for example are simply painted over the old stuff and look awful.
The restaurant 162 is probably the worst restaurant I've visited
in SoCal and that includes Baja Fresh and Subway. Terrible service.
I'm serious. The only good thing about this hotel is the location
on the cliff overlooking the bay.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Dear All,

Interesting twists to and insights in this thread. Given the swine flu I elected not to stay at a hotel but rather stayed with friends...their pool is nice as well and it is never crowded.

I will go to Aviara a week in fall and will report.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1

I will go to Aviara a week in fall and will report.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...nt-aviara.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.