Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Zurich recommendations

Zurich recommendations

Old Apr 8, 09, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Zurich recommendations

We have a couple of nights in Zürich at the end of July could anyone offer any pointers on hotels.
Old Apr 8, 09, 8:34 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
My favorite is the Park Hyatt Zurich ^
Old Apr 8, 09, 9:07 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

The Dolder Grand and the Park Hyatt are my favorites. The former is more resort-style on the Zurichberg, overlooking the city and the lake. The latter is more of a business hotel downtown. Both are quite modern hotels.

The Baur Au Lac is also well regarded by many, but I find it too old-school and stuffy. They are also in the midst of a major renovation right now.
Old Apr 8, 09, 10:24 am

It really depends on what you want. The Park Hyatt is a rather paired down business hotel, whilst Dolder Grand, after its massive re-design, is now a mix between fairytale castle and a Norman Foster museum of modern design.

The other thought is the quirky Widder hotel, right in the heart of the old town, so you can walk most places. You have to be careful which room/suite to choose as they are all individually designed (some quite traditional, others extremely modern), but generally this is a very hospitable place with good staff. Just don't eat in the restaurant as the traditional food there is not the best that Zurich has to offer.
Old Apr 8, 09, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unfortunately dolder is only 50% off in april
Originally Posted by vienna-resident View Post
Anniversary Delight for all stays in April 2009 - Link

Pay 1 night, get 1 free
Pay 2 nights, get 2 free
Pay 3 nights, get 3 free
Pay 4 nights, get 4 free
Old Apr 15, 09, 8:53 am
BMK

Programs: British Airways Blue, Virgin Flying Club Silver, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold
The Baur au Lac is the old established hotel but as a previous poster mentioned it is a quite stuffy. The service though is second to none.

The Diagonal night club in the hotel is also quite amusing. Similar to Annabels in London.
Old Apr 23, 09, 10:16 am

The Dolder

After being open 1 year, The Dolder is now amazing. Very impressive indeed, and now definitely the best in Zurich.
Old Apr 23, 09, 10:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

The Dolder

I agree that the Dolder Grand is superb. I stayed there two weeks ago and despite heavy discounting (2 nights for the price of 1), I saw no indication of the cutbacks that I've read about luxury hotels making. Large glass bottles of water replenished frequently, as was the excellent fruit service. A spa-like bathroom (7 shower heads, a separate tub positioned in front of a floor-to-ceiling window; a wide array of bath amenities, with a full range of bath toiletries (oils, salts, candle, etc.) and a separate collection of shower toiletries. Free wireless internet, which is less frequent than I'd wish in luxury hotels. Very high-tech room (perhaps a bit too high tech for some tastes, requiring the use of a gadget to unfurl and furl the sunshades, day drapes, night drapes, etc.) The finest hotel gym I have ever seen. A spa that rivals the new ESPA at Gleneagles for as the must beautifully designed hotel spa I've experienced. After feeling some degree of let down over other much-praised 5-star city hotels (the Bulgari in Milan, the Villa Spaletti Trivelli in Rome), I was really blown away by this one.

This joins the Villa Feltrinelli, Amankora, and the Four Seasons Istanbul at Sultanahmet as among the nicest stays I've had in the past few years.
Old Apr 24, 09, 2:36 am

The Dolder

Originally Posted by Groombridge View Post
I agree that the Dolder Grand is superb. I stayed there two weeks ago and despite heavy discounting (2 nights for the price of 1), I saw no indication of the cutbacks that I've read about luxury hotels making. Large glass bottles of water replenished frequently, as was the excellent fruit service. A spa-like bathroom (7 shower heads, a separate tub positioned in front of a floor-to-ceiling window; a wide array of bath amenities, with a full range of bath toiletries (oils, salts, candle, etc.) and a separate collection of shower toiletries. Free wireless internet, which is less frequent than I'd wish in luxury hotels. Very high-tech room (perhaps a bit too high tech for some tastes, requiring the use of a gadget to unfurl and furl the sunshades, day drapes, night drapes, etc.) The finest hotel gym I have ever seen. A spa that rivals the new ESPA at Gleneagles for as the must beautifully designed hotel spa I've experienced. After feeling some degree of let down over other much-praised 5-star city hotels (the Bulgari in Milan, the Villa Spaletti Trivelli in Rome), I was really blown away by this one.

This joins the Villa Feltrinelli, Amankora, and the Four Seasons Istanbul at Sultanahmet as among the nicest stays I've had in the past few years.
I quite agree. The food, too, is sensational and the young staff extremely well trained. It is now one of the very best hotels in Europe - a real urban resort.
Old Apr 24, 09, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have to go to Zurich next month. Will definitely check it out.
Old Apr 24, 09, 7:54 am

[QUOTE=Londonjetsetter;11635969]I have to go to Zurich next month. Will definitely check it out.[/QUOTE

the dolder was on my " most anticipated hotel opening list " here in flyertalk, but alas i have not had the chance to stay there yet.

pls post photos !

another recommendation for Zurich would be the Alden . intimate , luxurious , great value and so convienient . ^^
Old Apr 24, 09, 11:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=bearbrick;11636650]
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter View Post
I have to go to Zurich next month. Will definitely check it out.[/QUOTE

the dolder was on my " most anticipated hotel opening list " here in flyertalk, but alas i have not had the chance to stay there yet.

pls post photos !

another recommendation for Zurich would be the Alden . intimate , luxurious , great value and so convienient . ^^
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures.
I was happy to read your endorsement of the Alden. I've got a very short overnight in Zurich in July, and want to be able to walk around the old town, so have booked a room there then.
But I really can't wait to return for a longer stay to the Dolder--it was really superb.
Old Apr 27, 09, 4:03 pm

Programs: LX SEN, SQ QPPS2, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, SLH
If you want to meet SQ crew members I can PM you the name of their hotel .
Old May 2, 09, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Intercontinental RA/BA/BMI/Virgin
Originally Posted by ACfly View Post
My favorite is the Park Hyatt Zurich ^
Also mine, great rooms (even the standard ones) lovely bars and restaurant, great staff. Couldnt reccomend the hotel more highly, we have been back time and time again!
Old May 2, 09, 5:03 pm

Dolder , Baur au Lac or PH , all top notch in their category.

I would opt for Dolder this time of the year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: