Reload this Page >

current best hotel in JNB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

current best hotel in JNB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by jordyn
So, I'm in a similar position to the OP, but actually have only a relatively quick stopover (arriving ~4 PM, leaving next morning at ~10 AM). Mostly I'd like a fairly nice place to stay near (or containing) somewhere to get a nice meal, ideally without a ridiculous amount of travel to/from JNB (the airport).
You'd probably best be served by an airport hotel then. Intercontinental JNB Airport appears most convenient. Never been there, but it seems to be a decent place from the website and reviews. Though at US$296 for a standard room, it certainly is not a bargain.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by trojanman
You'd probably best be served by an airport hotel then. Intercontinental JNB Airport appears most convenient. Never been there, but it seems to be a decent place from the website and reviews. Though at US$296 for a standard room, it certainly is not a bargain.
So, when I said "nice meal", I meant "I only have one night in Johannesburg and I want to eat somewhere that I'll remember", not "I don't want to throw up". Quills (the restaurant in the IC) looks better than the average hotel restaurant, perhaps, but isn't a place that it seems like anyone would suggest as a standalone dining recommendation.

And although airport hotels are convenient, the stop's long enough to do *something* other than just sleeping, and I think I'd find it depressing to spend the whole layover cooped up next to the airport. I'm just trying to avoid suggestions that are an hour or more away.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: too many...
With your schedule there is plenty of time to enjoy the Saxon. As others suggested, get an early check-in and book something in the spa ^^^(look it up on their web site).

Make yourself a nice afternoon with a mall (Hyde Park or Rosebank) and a stroll in the Zoo ^ and ask them for a good dinner recommendation somewhere in Sandton (depends on what food you prefer...).

Breakfast in the Saxon is included in the room (and take it there) and plan a nice programme for the day. Check-in times are slightly different for international or domestic connections, but on a Sunday it shouldn't take more than 25 minutes from the airport to the hotel.

BTW, the weekends in JNB are normally pretty quiet, so don't be surprised if there is little buzz...

JNBHEL

PM me if I can help you with my trusted driver and other tips. Would be my pleasure.

Last edited by JNBHEL; Apr 4, 2009 at 3:01 pm
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: too many...
Originally Posted by jordyn
So, when I said "nice meal", I meant "I only have one night in Johannesburg and I want to eat somewhere that I'll remember", not "I don't want to throw up". Quills (the restaurant in the IC) looks better than the average hotel restaurant, perhaps, but isn't a place that it seems like anyone would suggest as a standalone dining recommendation.

And although airport hotels are convenient, the stop's long enough to do *something* other than just sleeping, and I think I'd find it depressing to spend the whole layover cooped up next to the airport. I'm just trying to avoid suggestions that are an hour or more away.
Suggest you take the Westcliff. But depends a bit if you come in during the week or towards weekend. You should be in fairly quickly. Outbound depends a bit on the day and were you are connecting to. Wouldn't eat in a hotel in JNB if I don't have to. Go for Mandela Square in the evening. And just don't stay in the IC.

JNBHEL
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by JNBHEL

JNBHEL

PM me if I can help you with my trusted driver and other tips. Would be my pleasure.
YGPM! Thanks!
Old May 5, 2009, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON Circle
Just wanted to give you a quick update. I've followed JNBHEL's recommendation and booked a nice Suite at the AtholPlace. Unfortunately the Saxon was a bit too expensive for such a short stay.
I will report on this thread once I'm back.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old May 5, 2009, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by JNBHEL
Suggest you take the Westcliff. But depends a bit if you come in during the week or towards weekend. You should be in fairly quickly. Outbound depends a bit on the day and were you are connecting to. Wouldn't eat in a hotel in JNB if I don't have to. Go for Mandela Square in the evening. And just don't stay in the IC.

JNBHEL
I'll be in on a Sunday night. Does that affect the suggestions at all? (I'm going to be getting the 09:40 AM flight to MRU on Monday morning.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.