Reload this Page >

Your sources of information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your sources of information

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
before a general overview...then details

usually i try to understand first what is the offer of luxury hotel/resort where i want to go.... i usually look to kiwi collection to get a few good names... then slh or leading hotels or fivestaralliance...
once i'm clear about the alternatives i check details about the ones that seems good for me...
i read reviews on tripadvisor, hotel website, compare pricing on hotel website and other (expedia, booking.com, kiwi, etc...).
finally i ask details in thread about the ones i really want to be sure...
this process happens only when it's a relevant vacation; otherwise if it is just one night in hong kong or london, for example, i just pick one conveniently locate about the ones that i know are going to be good (fs, mandarin, ritz, etc...)

The_Daddy
Old Mar 6, 2009, 6:27 am

Expensive?

'All new Premier members are required to pay a $500 initiation fee. As a loyal member of Andrew Harper, you will be exempt from this fee as long as you keep your membership current.' (which now costs $400 plus shipping).

Do we think this is expensive?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Gallivanter's Guide is clearly better value ;-)
Old Mar 6, 2009, 2:01 pm

I check the World Travel Awards, Caribbean Travel & Life, and Travel & Leisure. They tend to be an excellent source for me.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:05 pm

Harper offers a $195 annual membership (no initiation fee) that includes the monthly Hideaway Report as well as access to the member site: auctions, hotel directory, online-only articles, forum, etc.

http://www.andrewharper.com/Consider...ipClasses.aspx
Old Mar 8, 2009, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Claremont
Harper offers a $195 annual membership (no initiation fee) that includes the monthly Hideaway Report as well as access to the member site: auctions, hotel directory, online-only articles, forum, etc.

http://www.andrewharper.com/Consider...ipClasses.aspx
I was talking about Premier membership, which includes the Harper Collection:-

Quote:-

All new Premier members are required to pay a $500 initiation fee. As a loyal member of Andrew Harper, you will be exempt from this fee as long as you keep your membership current.

Additionally, renewing ensures access to all of your Andrew Harper Premier benefits, including:

~ PERSONAL TRAVEL ADVISOR - Trained by Mr. Harper, your personal travel advisor will draw on personal expertise, as well that of our staff of regional experts, to ensure your travel experiences reflect the insight gained from firsthand destination knowledge. If you have not been introduced to your travel advisor yet, please call (800) 375-4685.
~ HIDEAWAY REPORT ONLINE - An expanded edition of the Hideaway Report, this online supplement includes web-only editorial features, plus additional touring, dining and shopping suggestions.
~ THE HARPER MARKETPLACE - Our weekly online auctions give members the opportunity to bid on accommodations at Harper-recommended properties at impressive savings.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Nota Bene and this forum (especially views of a few posters). Don't bother with Trip Advisor save to say that it can point out recent problems with properties (facilities that are closed, etc.).
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

In addition to what has already been mentioned, I often refer to the annual CN Traveler Gold List featured in the magazine's January issue as a good jumping off point. It's not overly informative, but the list is well edited and a great place to begin your research...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:37 pm
In memoriam

I don't know why so many of you are down on HI reviews on TA? We stayed at a HI in Brighton MI (not a luxury hotel anywhere near there) last year on the basis of good TA reviews - and found the reviews were "spot on".

Another area where TA is frequently useful is its demolition of some well-known supposedly luxury properties (on the basis of reputation) which have creaky/moldy/smelly/etc. rooms. The pictures (which I like) tell the story.

That said - my own personal planning is kind of in an (agreeable) rut these days. Most of my travel is to major or minor metro areas - and I stick to luxury chain properties if available. Many cities only have 1 luxury chain property - and I will stay at that property if it allows smoking (either in my room or on a balcony). If there is more than 1 luxury chain property - I will only consider the properties that allow smoking - and it is usually hard to come up with more than 1. I suspect I might have a harder time picking a room in Tokyo today than I did 3 years ago - but - 3 years ago - there wasn't much to choose from.

So - as you might guess - for the most part - I wind up staying at FS properties.

I used to subscribe to the Hideaway Report (AH) ages ago (like 20+ years ago). Got one or two decent ideas (like the Point when it was an infant). And an equal amount of duds. Cost maybe $50/year then. I certainly wouldn't pay for it now (at least if your subscription prices are correct). For the same $50 that I spent then - you can subscribe to Vanity Fair - Harpers Bazaar - Vogue - Gourmet Magazine - etc. (don't think any costs me more than $12/year) - and they always have articles about new/trendy places (which are not always places I care to visit - but they make for some interesting reading). I also like reading Departures (get it from a neighbor with whom I share magazines). There are special interest magazines too - like Travel & Leisure Golf (which I get for free - if you play golf - you can probably get it for free too).

FWIW - I always decide where I want to go first - then I decide where to stay. Robyn
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i try to keep this updated >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11345980-post13.html
this thread is linked in sticky, and in "what do i get from lux hotel" thread/compilation (also in sticky)

bumped to add this >
travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/articles/five-stars-five-diamonds?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0674 >
Bjorn Hanson, a former PricewaterhouseCoopers hotel analyst told USA Today that more hotels won this year than usual because both AAA and Forbes are letting their inspectors be more flexible. However, Hanson also told the publication that AAA and Forbes offer "a more consistent basis for comparison" when compared to travel website such as TripAdvisor.com.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
As a point of reference, here are the Forbes (nee Mobil) Travel Guide's rating criteria:
static.howstuffworks.com/pdf/lodging-criteria-12-2008.pdf
autoclubsouth.aaa.com/travel/diamond_ratings.aspx
aaa.biz/Approved/files/evaluation/DiamondRatingGuidelines.pdf

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 13, 2016 at 12:39 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

harper update - fa-mag.com/component/content/article/5298.html

After a quarter of a century circling the globe, the original Andrew Harper retired six years ago and was replaced by his handpicked successors. Today, two contributing editors, both of whom remain anonymous—one based in New York, the other in Paris—carry on the role under the same pseudonym.

Andrew Harper is no longer just a little broadsheet, but a full-fledged service owned by CapStar Partners, an Austin, Texas-based private equity group that bought it in 2005.

“We really are a travel service that places a focus on customizing trips for individual members or even larger groups who have met through being members,” explains Harper’s director of travel planning, Sandi Ferreria. “Where we differ from a standard travel agency is the reach of our ground operations ability, which includes connections with local concierge services and, for example, park rangers who know just when to bring guests to remote locations. That information and the ability to use it is what we specialize in.”

Harper has made increasing use of intermediaries in its dealings with clients, says Ferreria.

“These days, we rarely hear directly from those traveling,” Ferreria says. “It is usually a trusted associate who requests information about becoming a member. Once they join, it is also rare to book a trip directly with them.”.

“Our private auction sales are definitely up, as everyone is looking for value, and our recommended hotels and travel partners are creating some of the best offers we’ve ever seen,” says one of the anonymous Harper correspondents.

Boutiques like Harper are cost-effective ways for advisors to deliver specialized services to ultra-high-net-worth clients, according to experts.

“For an advisor, it is difficult to give great service in a small niche,” explains Richard Weylman president and CEO of the Weylman Center for Excellence in Practice Management, the only online university for financial professionals in the affluent marketplace. “The affluent are seeking out an elevated experience. By hooking up with a firm like Andrew Harper, you position yourself as not just a financial resource but a trusted go-to source for life issues.”

“Our firm considers more than just the financial health of our clients, and when appropriate, seeks to take an interest in their personal well-being,” the representative says. “We frequently recommend Andrew Harper membership, as it provides the best in travel advice and planning services. We’ve actually seen two generations of clients become members.”
also http://triangle.bizjournals.com/tria.../biz/7381.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 9, 2018 at 11:40 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:19 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
As long as this thread has been bumped, I'd like to point out how trip advisor really helped me in the last few weeks.

Take a look at this hotel called Zeavola on Phi Phi. Gorgeous!
http://www.zeavola.com/

Now check out trip advisor. Even though most of the reviews are 5*, I was able to pick up on the following.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...i_Phi_Don.html
- All manner of motorized and foot traffic on the beach
- Rats. Rat droppings! In the rooms. On the dining tables.
- Clouds of mosquitos that accost you in the open-air bathrooms
- Inconsistent service
- Generator noise from neighboring hotel
- Ability to see from one room into another

Last edited by Ericka; Mar 21, 2010 at 6:29 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Ever since I found this forum, I rely quite a lot on the opinions and feedback here, despite the often diverse opinions presented, the really good hotels often have a consensus of overall positive assessment. Most of the regulars in this forum are often much more well travelled than myself. I also use hotel websites and read their room specs. And for independent hotel photos, I mainly use Flickr.

I also read TA reviews but took them with a healthy dose of skepticism, esp the short or overtly glowing reviews. Only those reviewers that are well travelled in their profile have some credibility to me. I myself often post TA reviews and catalog hotel photos on Flicrk too.

I almost never trust travel magazines reviews. They are usually just "advertorial" and never point out things that are actually disatisfactory about the hotel. Most of the writers of these articles don't even actually stayed at the hotel and some hotels, esp the chains are regulars advertisers in these magazines, I doubt they can maintain impartiality.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I enjoy looking at other traveler's pictures on tripadvisor, but most reviews on luxury properties are useless, I always check posters' other reviews and the properties he or she has stayed in the past.

Other than here, and some major travel magazines, I also subscribe to Harper's service, find them pretty helpful
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Interesting Kage . Its quite an organisation and not quite the philanthropist as outlined by FT member AHarper a couple of years ago:
(I have just pasted in the relevant parts)

"Originally Posted by AHarper
Hello,

I am Andrew Harper, the Editor-in-Chief of Hideaway Report.

Andrew Harper's real name is not Richard Atkinson. I should know!
.....For the record, Andrew Harper does travel incognito and always pays his own way, to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars a year in travel expenses. We do, however, have a consistent problem with people trying to pass themselves off as Andrew Harper and hoping to obtain free accommodation or preferential treatment as a result.
Regards,
Andrew Harper"

Last edited by paul2; Mar 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.