Trip Report: Four Seasons Jackson Hole

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:25 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Great report!

Thanks for this excellent post.
Very fine hotel and great trip report.
I've never had a bad experience at ANY Four Seasons.
Nor have I at a Fairmont (my fave).

Most of the private four stars like the "Broadmore" in Colorado Springs are also top notch.

I missed my skiing trip this year. You have inspired me to book that hotel for next winter! Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CMV
NYBanker -- You should be fine as Jackson Hole tends to get a fair amount of early snow. Wikipedia has the montly snowfall totals for the town of Jackson, which will be higher in Teton Village and even higher at the summit.
Thanks. Looks promising.

Your link prompted me to look a bit further on the Interweb (amazing what they have available on the Google).

This site http://mountaincaster.com/mtnsnow.htm had on-mountain data. 70-odd inches on average in December. That should work.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I have a booking at this hotel for the week leading up to Christmas (2011).

I have not done proper diligence as to the typical snow conditions. On the typical snow conditions at this time. Sounds like 2010 would have worked well...is that an anomolie, or more the norm?

I don't want to turn up and have the mountain not open (nor even anything beyond a remote chance of that).

Where on the risk spectrum do I fall?
I'm not sure about averages, but I do know that our experience during December 13-18 with excellent snow depths was clearly NOT the norm based on the comments of locals. Everyone seemed surprised (and downright gitty at times) that the conditions were so favorable.

I would be less concerned about how much snow is projected, and more concerned about how many runs will be open, especially if you are an experienced skier. Someone told us that 2010 was the only year that all the runs were open from the beginning of the ski season. Also, I'd look for stats that mention total accumulated snow depth on the mountain (at various elevations) in December versus total snow fall. It sounded like in 2009, there was snow, but it kept melting and the mountain was limited in available runs. In a quick search, I read a blog post dated December 21, 2009, "Doesn’t seem fair on the winter solstice that Jackson, Wyo., has less snow than your local mall back East." And on December 30th the writer was continuing to lament the lack of snowfall. For the sections that were open that month, "In a bit of a surprise move, the resort is planning to open the Aerial Tram and Thunder and Sublette chairs on Saturday...A resort employee warns that skiers and snowboarders should exercise extreme caution, as light powder sits atop rock."

Not trying to scare you, just something to keep in mind. If we take time off for skiing early again this year, I will use miles for flights so we can redeposit if needed and have a back-up location just in case. We don't live out west, so showing up to ski without sufficient snow depth would be a big disappointment.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Now I'm nervous!

Umbrella007, thanks for your thoughts. I always travel on refundable tickets, so that airfare won't be the issue...but the hotel is another story! They are on 30 day cancellation (with a fairly steep penalty, I want to say three nights, which would be about $6k for the suite I reserved)...plus I'd need to find an alternate vacation on short notice.

Perhaps am I supposed to make this a February break trip instead? It seems with the cancellation provisions, this really is a roll of the dice.

Other thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: DL PM
NyBanker, I'm hoping someone with more Jackson Hole experience than me chimes in - I don't want to make you nervous enough that you postpone to February, and then ideal conditions show up in December! You might want to call the 4S and ask to speak to someone who has been on staff awhile and get their perspective. Most of the staff members that told us about 2009 were college students and/or recent grads. It may be that the snow melting in '09 was just as much of a random occurrence as the snow dumps in '10.

I'm not sure if any travel insurance policies cover weather; that sure is a steep cancellation penalty during the shoulder season.

Regardless, I'll look forward to hearing your ski experiences, and CMV's too from February.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:22 am

I went for a ski trip this Jan (2011) at FS Jackson Hole. I have also stayed at RC Bachelor Gulch, FS Whistler. The skiing at JH was fantastic. Not sure if we were just lucky, but I've never seen so much snow. As an intermediate skier, I noticed JH had numerous double black diamonds and seemed more challenging, which was adrenaline & endorphin-inducing. When we took the 75'sh-person gondola up to the top, the scene looked like something from the movie Inception, people were literally skiing off sides of mini cliffs.

I was tempted to stay at Amangani, since I had stayed at FS JH in the summer and had the chance to have lunch at Amangani. But, Amangani requires a 20 minute shuttle to Teton Village and the rates (with all the specials) made FS JH a better value.

I was upgraded to a FS executive suite (thank you David Ourisman) which was a wonderful suite. The gas fireplace, overall size and shower (with Bulgari toiletries) were highlights.

I appreciated the 3 different dining options the hotel offered since Teton Village is not very large (compared to others ski-villages). There are a few other restaurants in the village but I found myself too tired (lazy) to leave the hotel. The food was good and each venue had different atmospheres (lobby, West Grill, ?Apres Ski Bar.)

The ski concierge and the very close location of the ski lifts made for zero hassles, unless you were boarding which you then had to walk to the next-door ski-shop (literally 25 yards). Once that was done 4S Ski Concierge had no issue holding the boards from my group. The pool / jacuzzis were the right temperatures and the warming robe ovens were to die for, unless of-course you grabbed the wrong robe in which I discovered a Cartier watch in the pocket. The management made me feel like a returning war-hero when I returned it when I actually felt like a thief for not paying attention to which robe was mine. The pool staff were attentive and I was offered complimentary hot chocolate and yummy 'smores. The hotel staff were happy to open the gym up early for me (before their regular hours) to accommodate jet lag & early birds.

The negatives were: FS does not offer snow board rentals. The hotel is somewhat isolated. And don't drink sodas at the poolside expecting free refills.

My order of preference: FS JH, RC BG (love that grotto cave,) FS Whistler.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:25 pm

I grew up in the Jackson area and as much as I would like to say that conditions are always perfect, I should note that December and January conditions tend to be hit or miss.

I haven't skied in Jackson in the past three or four years, but prior to that the general rule I observed was 1-2 iffy holiday seasons and then a great season. Some years, December can be freezing, icy and involve a lot of snow being created by the resort. Other years, December can be perfect. It's hard to know in advance. Also, take into consideration that conditions lower on the mountain can be iffy while conditions higher up the mountain on more challenging slopes can be great...Jackson is the kind of place where it can be snowing on the top of the mountain and nothing is happening at the base.

I really love Jackson but for optimal conditions late February and March tend to be the better times to visit.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:51 am

Ski Concierge

We are going to FS Jackson Hole for 3 nights in January. I'm trying to figure out the rates for renting skis at the FS rental shop compared to outside the resort. We'll rent from the FS for the convenience unless there is an outrageous markup. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by yat3
We are going to FS Jackson Hole for 3 nights in January. I'm trying to figure out the rates for renting skis at the FS rental shop compared to outside the resort. We'll rent from the FS for the convenience unless there is an outrageous markup. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
My recollection is that the rates were reasonable and that they had a pretty good skis.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:12 am
CMV
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
My recollection is that the rates were reasonable and that they had a pretty good skis.
Agreed, the skis may be a little more expensive, but not outrageously so, and you can't beat the convenience. That said, some of the shops right in the village may have somewhat more selection. I like Pepis at the Alpenhof, and have even bought boots there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.