Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Vancouver: Shangri-La and other hotels (consolidated)

Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Aventine
Pacific Rim is a zoo. I'd take a Rosewood suite in a second.
Oy, maybe we will stay only one night rather than two.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 9, 2019 at 2:20 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KatW
We will be two nights in Vancouver in July. I am waffling between the Rosewood Georgia and Pacific Rim. We'd book a suite. Anyone here have new info or comments to add that would further inform my choice?
Some random thoughts:

- based on your comments / trip reports over the years, I don't think you'd overly enjoy the general atmosphere at the Fairmont Pacific Rim; it's long been the "go to" place for celebrities, anyone who thinks they're cool, sugar daddies meeting their dates etc., and the lobby turns into a zoo at night
- you can find plenty of reviews in the dedicated thread in the Fairmont forum, but my impression as well as that of others is that service has somewhat deteriorated over the years
- if you want a suite with a nice view, you won't find anything better than the suites at the Pacific Rim
- one option that may be worth considering is booking a Fairmont Gold suite: suites are excellent with private patios overlooking Coal Harbour and Stanley Park and service on the Gold floor is generally excellent
KatW likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

top suite at pacific rim seemed interesting, not sure how high rate is

rosewood at one point had residential penthouse in inventory, but very high rate
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I love, love, love the Rosewood - although their restaurant Hawkesworth was disappointing for dinner. In July, their outside bar area will be open (5th floor, but no views), and they have another bar off the lobby, and a third - a speakeasy - in the basement with an outside entry (evenings only)

The Pacific Rim lobby was so loud during checkin at noon, the staff member had to come around the desk to explain things. At 9pm, I literally had fingers in my ears walking through there. The lobby is huge, and doubles as a concert arena/cocktail bar. Apparently, it's a great cocktail bar - it wins awards - but there's no way I'm ever going there again!

The Four Seasons across the street from the Rosewood is a typical city Four Seasons - Ok service, but the lobby is not a place to hang out, and the restaurant is also the bar. There are often cruise ship crowds there too during the summer.

I'm a sucker for the old-schoolness of the Rosewood.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Having stayed at both in the past 2 years I prefer the Pacific Rim to the Hotel Georgia. First, I think the location is quite a bit nicer, closer to things to do and more pleasant to walk around the immediate surroundings. Assuming the services haven't changed the house cars and free bikes at the Pacific Rim are really nice luxury amenities. The rooms at the Pacific Rim are nicer (in my opinion), F&B is top at both properties, the bar at the Georgia is really great (Inception Negroni is almost worth the flight alone). Pacific Rim's Gold's lounge is spectacular, has really solid food and great views. Pacific Rim's lobby is very crowded at night but that didn't both us other than we didn't utilize the lobby at night. I didn't find the service to be particularly personalized at the Georgia but maybe that's because we booked online and not via our usual travel agent.

The Four Seasons is not up to usual FS standards and is also leaving FS in Jan 2020.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
We stayed at the Pac Rim last August with young kids. The lobby is definitely boisterous, but it didn't bother us. The large suite was excellent and well appointed. (The Le Labo toiletries were a nice touch too.) It is a large hotel, so the service was not particularly personal, but we had no issues. The views as mentioned, were beautiful. We are not see or be seen people, so we were pretty oblivious to all that. I'd stay there again.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
I'm a sucker for the old-schoolness of the Rosewood.
As am I. Decision made. As for views, we'll have more than anyone could wish for from the owner's cabin on Windstar's Star Legend as we cruise up the Inland Passage to Alaska.
LinLant likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 9, 2019 at 1:12 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Huge Pac Rim fan here. The magic of sitting in your room eating breakfast in bed and watching the float planes land in the harbour is hard to replicate. I personally enjoy the atmosphere of the lobby, but I am an early 30's millennial and can appreciate (but disagree) with other's opinions of the lobby.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Member

I have waffled over this so many times I've got maple syrup coming out of my ears.

Given that we don't hang out in lobbies or in bars (much) and that there is a gold level on high floors that provides separate check-in and other bennies, and, yes, we can be seduced by fab views, I have reversed course and booked a gold suite at Pac Rim. Blame CanuckFlyHigh.

Meanwhile, may I have some berries for my waffles?
Cryofern likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Priv, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by KatW
I have waffled over this so many times I've got maple syrup coming out of my ears.
LOL!

We have stayed at and really enjoyed both hotels within the last year.

We found the Fairmont Pacific Rim to be modern and energetic, especially in the evenings at the Lobby Lounge and RawBar. The outdoor heated pool and hot tub (open year round) are great amenities. Views from our room of the pool, water, float planes, and mountains were beautiful. I have had clients with kids that have really loved the pool suites with private patios and outdoor fireplaces. The hotel also has a fleet of BMW electric bikes that can be rented for cruising around Vancouver.

Hotel Georgia is historic, classic, luxurious and much quieter than the Pac Rim. The beautiful indoor pool is serene and unique. Our dinner at Hawksworth was good, not great (we much preferred our dinner at Yew, next door at the Four Seasons). Breakfast at Hawksworth was excellent. The Rosewood Suite on the top floor with its large outdoor terrace and plunge pool looked amazing. Prohibition Bar is super cool and popular for cocktails.

These two hotels are my favorites in Vancouver. Pacific Rim is my top choice for views and for families. Enjoy your trip!
KatW likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst

The Four Seasons is not up to usual FS standards and is also leaving FS in Jan 2020.
Wow, thats so sad! What gives? I have stayed quite a few times over the years and thought it was quite decent especially since the refurb.

Why cant Vancouver have a plethora of luxury (or even decent high end/new properties)? Its a real mystery to me but I confess I dont know much about how such things get decided.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
FS is leasehold owner. lease expired. FS chose not to renew to 2035. (why bother?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Centre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Fairview
benefitscanada.com/news/cadillac-fairview-ups-toronto-ritz-carlton-stake-to-100-115230

re FS deflags: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post26600688

whats highest upgrade at pac rim?
gold suites USD feb 13 flexible >
1001 800ft2 suite
1152 900ft2 owners
1830 1200ft2 corner
_____ 2230ft2 prime minister
_____ 2250ft2 chairman

rosewoodhotels.com/en/hotel-georgia-vancouver/accommodation/suites/lord-stanley-suite
rosewoodhotels.com/en/hotel-georgia-vancouver/accommodation/suites/rosewood-suite
travelandleisure.com/articles/rosewood-hotel-georgia-royal-suite

all had residential condos >
two SL , pacific rim owned by Westbank , Peterson Group
rosewood developer sold hotel in 2017
alwaleed built FS toronto , sold hotel to another billionaire

population
2.7m toronto
0.6m vancouver
0.9m san francisco (similar to vancouver for land and population)
article about sale/deflag of MO SF says hard to develop in SF
bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2015/01/hotel-transactions-san-francisco-rooms-lasalle.html

luxury hotels are not charities, even when they dont care about profit
these days most luxury hotels in cities have residential component

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 12, 2019 at 8:02 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS is leasehold owner. lease expired. FS chose not to renew.

what is highest upgrade at pac rim?
gold suites USD feb 13 flexible >
1001 800ft2 suite
1152 900ft2 owners
1830 1200ft2 corner
____ 2230ft2 prime minister
____ 2250ft2 chairman
Why?

Why did RC never open either? Why Vancouver (such a beautiful city within such a special region) struggle so much with quality. So sad.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Wow, thats so sad! What gives? I have stayed quite a few times over the years and thought it was quite decent especially since the refurb.

Why cant Vancouver have a plethora of luxury (or even decent high end/new properties)? Its a real mystery to me but I confess I dont know much about how such things get decided.
Canada has a low density population in an area larger than the continental U.S. With only three cities of any size (YYZ, YUL and YVR) it lacks the demand for high level hospitality service although there are certainly isolated exceptions.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JetAway
Canada has a low density population in an area larger than the continental U.S. With only three cities of any size (YYZ, YUL and YVR) it lacks the demand for high level hospitality service although there are certainly isolated exceptions.
Yet Toronto gets decent business travel and tourists.. Vancouver is Tourist Central. Montreal is a renown tourist destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.