Critique Me: Parents Heading to Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P

So I'm working on putting together a trip for my parents.

I want them to go to Beijing, HK, and a resort.

They have a grand total of 10 nights.

This is what I've done.

Arrive PEK. 4 nights in a Grand Deluxe Room ~$280 per night.

Worth replacing a night with one at Aman Summer Palace (at ~$650)?

Worth replacing a night with one at Kempinski Great Wall (at ~$350)?

HK:

One night in a Grand Deluxe Kowloon-View Room (at ~$420). I would've preferred a Harbour View, but at nearly $800, tough to justify.

Two nights at the Landmark, in a Premier room, at ~$250 per.

Fly to Manilla and go to Amanpulo for 3 nights:

$800 per (non-inclusive) for Beach Casita.

Any critiques? Potential better values? Different or better resorts not much farther from HK (or closer to ICN, which is their departure gateway back to the US)?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:43 pm

What are the dates?

I am assuming its the Pen PEK? and the LMO HK?

I can't really comment on the other hotels except for the Pen, but I will say that the Pen is very nice and we did not have any problems while there last summer. The do have free movies and DVD players however (no PPV).
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
So I'm working on putting together a trip for my parents.

I want them to go to Beijing, HK, and a resort.

They have a grand total of 10 nights.

This is what I've done.

Arrive PEK. 4 nights in a Grand Deluxe Room ~$280 per night.

Worth replacing a night with one at Aman Summer Palace (at ~$650)?

Worth replacing a night with one at Kempinski Great Wall (at ~$350)?

HK:

One night in a Grand Deluxe Kowloon-View Room (at ~$420). I would've preferred a Harbour View, but at nearly $800, tough to justify.

Two nights at the Landmark, in a Premier room, at ~$250 per.

Fly to Manilla and go to Amanpulo for 3 nights:

$800 per (non-inclusive) for Beach Casita.

Any critiques? Potential better values? Different or better resorts not much farther from HK (or closer to ICN, which is their departure gateway back to the US)?
Like stated above, the pen Beijing is a good choice; I've never stayed with the Landmark in HK, but liked the Pen n Four seasons there.
resorts choices within China:
Banyan tree Lijiang,Ringha, Sanya
There are a couple of other high end resorts like MO, RC in Sanya.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
How about Chiang Mai, Thailand FS?

I would so the FS in Hong Kong over the LMO.

The Pen in PEK is the best bet there.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444
How about Chiang Mai, Thailand FS?

The Pen in PEK is the best bet there.
+1-- Liked the FS Chiang Mai very much. Pen PEK was great.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:58 pm

Yes, please do let us know which hotel you have chosen for Beijing.

For Hong Kong, I assume it's the Peninsula? If you would like a harbour view room, there are quite a few options less than USD$800. The Inter-Continental, Grand Hyatt, Conrad, Island Shangri-la, JW Marriott, Mandarin Oriental, and the Four Seasons all have harbour view rooms. Still, you can't do much better than the Pen.

For the resort, I think you have made an excellent choice with Amanpulo. If it's possible to stretch the trip to five nights, the Romance package is an amazing deal as it is all-inclusive with meals, and food a la carte can get expensive there. It also includes a few activities which are great, particularly the blessing ceremony. Still, with the economy what it is, it might be worth it to inquire with them whether you can do the Romance Package for three nights and possibly pro-rata the package deal.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Yes, the Pen in both HK and PEK.

Wouldve preferred the FS to the Landmark, but a comparable room wouldve been more than double the price. So a Kowloon-view room at the Pen in HK or a Harbour view at the IC?

Chang Mai is not the right idea. They're looking for a true beach resort

What's better value time/money wise, one of the better places in Sanya or Amanpulo?

And forgetting the time/money equation, which would you choose?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:17 pm

Yes, the Pen in both HK and PEK.

Wouldve preferred the FS to the Landmark, but a comparable room wouldve been more than double the price. So a Kowloon-view room at the Pen in HK or a Harbour view at the IC?

Chang Mai is not the right idea. They're looking for a true beach resort

What's better value time/money wise, one of the better places in Sanya or Amanpulo?

And forgetting the time/money equation, which would you choose?
The Harbour View room at the IC is probably the best view in Hong Kong, but the Pen is a better hotel. If it's a one-in-a-lifetime trip, I would be inclined to say the Pen as it's the quintessential classic Hong Kong hotel. But the IC isn't too shabby either.

Definitely Amanpulo rather than Sanya. I was considering a trip to Sanya at the Mandarin Oriental, but vuittonofstyle's experiences there put me off (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10114563-post16.html).

Another problem with Sanya is I believe it's difficult to find a beachfront room there. Even the 35,000 sq.ft. Presidential Suite at the MO is not beachfront. With Amanpulo, you're right on the beach. Besides it's probably one of the top island beach resorts in the world. No comparison really.

In terms of travel, it's a very short and inexpensive flight to Manila, where your parents will get picked up by an Aman representative at the airport, and will be driven in the house Mercedes to their private domestic airport lounge. From there, they will board the private plane to Amanpulo, which takes about an hour. Certainly a fun experience!

Here's my trip report from a few months ago if you're interested (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/9995101-post509.html).

About Beijing, if your parents are interested in seeing the Summer Palace, then I would definitely recommend a night at the Aman. I visited it during the Olympics before it was open, and it was incredible. Here is my report from that visit (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10268654-post537.html).

One of the perks of being a guest at Aman is that you get exclusive use of the Summer Palace after 4pm, when the doors close to the general public. They can even arrange a special candlelit dinner for your parents on Kunming Lake!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:15 am

How did you get $250 at the LMO? I've never seen rates there (for their cheapest rooms) below 350-400. That rate is a steal!

I'd advise the LMO over the FS and the Pen. I found the Pen to be too touristy and loud, and I didn't like the location of the FS. While I admit that the LMO lacks views, it's more than made up for by the wonderful, intimate, and personal service that the others can't offer by nature of it's size (I'm one of those people who believe that a 400 room hotel, no matter how good, can never have service as personal as a 100 room hotel).

As for Beijing, I found the Pen to just be terrible. Felt like I was entering a shopping mall each time I went into the lobby, awful service, relatively mediocre food. I don't know how the locations are, but I might be inclined to try the Park Hyatt or the MO (if it's open yet).
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:28 am

Yes, agreed, Sanya is really not a very interesting location for a vacation. I only suggested it becos it is in China, hence saving the troubles of going thru immigrations.
However, i do think Ringha n especially Lijiang is worth looking into; I mean, all the way to China n only visit Beijing?
Aman in Beijing would be a good choice but Klempinski at the great wall has got very mixed reviews , better to drop it as a choice.
For Amanpulo I think one has to transfer via chartered flights , not very dependable IMHO, we got stood up once in Amanwana years ago...If you have to do an Aman, why not consider Amanpuri in phuket ?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa4ever
How did you get $250 at the LMO? I've never seen rates there (for their cheapest rooms) below 350-400. That rate is a steal!

I'd advise the LMO over the FS and the Pen. I found the Pen to be too touristy and loud, and I didn't like the location of the FS. While I admit that the LMO lacks views, it's more than made up for by the wonderful, intimate, and personal service that the others can't offer by nature of it's size (I'm one of those people who believe that a 400 room hotel, no matter how good, can never have service as personal as a 100 room hotel).

As for Beijing, I found the Pen to just be terrible. Felt like I was entering a shopping mall each time I went into the lobby, awful service, relatively mediocre food. I don't know how the locations are, but I might be inclined to try the Park Hyatt or the MO (if it's open yet).
Uch...wanted the MO, but it's not going to be ready for 2009, apparently. And could've gotten my magical MO rates there, too.

FYI, it's $250 for a Premier room. Not just a standard room.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by aa4ever
As for Beijing, I found the Pen to just be terrible. Felt like I was entering a shopping mall each time I went into the lobby, awful service, relatively mediocre food.
I agree. The Pen in Beijing is older, and follows the older template of Chinese hotels where they pack as many shops as possible. It does feel like a mall in the lobby, and I believe it even has an escalator to more shops!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by asianmom
For Amanpulo I think one has to transfer via chartered flights , not very dependable IMHO, we got stood up once in Amanwana years ago...If you have to do an Aman, why not consider Amanpuri in phuket ?
Yes, the flight to Amanwana is chartered and operated by a third-party, Travira Air, I believe, but the Amanpulo plane is owned by the resort and is quite dependable. Our plane into Manila was slightly delayed and they waited for us at the private lounge.

Amanpuri would be a good choice as well, as would be the Bali Amans, though both Phuket and Bali are a bit further from Hong Kong than Manila, at about 4 hours away.

The OP is really spoilt for choice is he if looking for a beachy Aman in Asia for his parents.

Last edited by Amanjunkie; Jan 12, 2009 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Uh-oh. Now I'm worried about the Pen PEK. I wanted the Park Hyatt, but its sold out. The St. Regis is nearly 40% more expensive than the Pen for a smaller room. Is it worth it? FS isn't much more expensive than the Pen, but I'm not sure I love the hotel based on pics/reviews, and I'm not sure I love the location for people going as tourists with only 3 really full days in Beijing. What would y'all do?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Different or better resorts not much farther from HK (or closer to ICN, which is their departure gateway back to the US)?
The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps a stay at the Regalia in Li Gong Di.

A family member just got back from six nights there and said it's just fantastic.

Probably the only downside for your requirements is that it's 70km's from SHA airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.