Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Caribbean wedding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Talking A Caribbean wedding

A few weeks back I posted asking for suggestions for a honeymoon next year. In the meantime, we have been bouncing all over the place with this wedding and have pretty much gotten fed up. It's all such a hassle. What we seem to have now settled on is a semi-elopement (maybe we invite a few people.) She wants to do the Caribbean, since it would be easy enough for people to attend.

We were leaning toward Sandy Lane (they have a reasonable "honeymoon package" and a "wedding package" we can throw on) but reviews seem to be mixed as of late. This is for April 2009.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by thelark; Apr 29, 2008 at 9:04 am
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

should be open >
RC molasses reef

st barts >
eden rock
isle de france
le guanahani
le toiny

also >
petit st vincent
FS nevis

interesting, lance armstrong apparently bought le toiny in 2007.
http://www.elite-travelerdigital.com...06/?pg=54&pm=1

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 4, 2008 at 7:12 am
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Kagehitokiri, but St. Barths is out because only residents can be married (she won't get married here and have a ceremony elsewhere.)

Any thoughts on Jumby Bay? We tend to prefer smaller places. Petit St. Vincent looks interesting too.

Last edited by thelark; Apr 29, 2008 at 7:21 pm
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thats unfortunate.

private islands with ~20>50 rooms/villas >

- petit st vincent (all inclusive) - well regarded here, more rustic

mixed reports here >
- amanyara
- parrot cay
- jumby bay (all inclusive)

expensive villa resorts on anguilla >
- temenos
- altamer

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 29, 2008 at 7:31 pm
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, we'll check them out (Temenos and Altamer are out of our range.) Just came back here to add that Jumby is closed for renovations during our dates.

Last edited by thelark; Apr 29, 2008 at 7:58 pm
Old May 2, 2008, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Not the Caribbean, but the FS Punta Mita, Mexico would be spectacular for a wedding.
Old May 3, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by thelark
Thanks, we'll check them out (Temenos and Altamer are out of our range.) Just came back here to add that Jumby is closed for renovations during our dates.
You might consider CuisinArt in Anguilla. PM me for details.
Old May 3, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Also try Curtain Bluff in Antigua -
Old May 3, 2008, 4:40 pm

La Samanna in St. Martin?
Old May 4, 2008, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Try Raffles Canouan Island.

http://canouan.raffles.com/
Old May 4, 2008, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Well as of now it looks like we may be doing Cobblers Cove (in either the Colleton or Camelot suite) for a few days for the wedding followed by Cap Juluca. The travel agent is gathering the info and I expect to hear from her tomorrow.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting timing >

http://www.forbestraveler.com/luxury...nts-story.html
Elope in high style 5/2/08

http://www.forbestraveler.com/luxury...s-slide-4.html
Parrot Cay, Turks & Caicos Islands, Providenciales, British West Indies

They're experts at coordinating weddings at this private island resort. A fee of $1,200 covers the music, photography, food and beverage planning, plus the ceremony itself. Just remember to arrive 72 hours in advance to make it legal. The ceremony can take place at the Shambhala Cottage, the Boardwalk (for a stunning view at sunset) or your choice of an authentic Tiki hut.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC E
My husband and I spent our honeymoon on Harbour Island and there were many weddings in the works at the various resorts on the island. The nice thing about HI is its intimacy - with such a tiny island and small boutique hotels you really get to know a lot of the other locals and guests during your stay (and given that HI is a top destination for some very, very, very wealthy people, you're guaranteed to meet and befriend at least a couple famous folk). The pink sand beach is legendary and any of the beautiful hotels along there would make a stunning destination (we stayed at the delightful Runaway Hill, which hosts many beachfront weddings).
Old May 15, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, EK PL
I can attest to the Harbour Island wedding scenario, having done it there.... Perfection, though VERY different then a Sandy Lane experience. Depends on what you're into. Let me know and I'll set you up with the best guy for planning on the island.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Congratulations!

On Virgin Gorda there's Little Dix Bay and Biras Creek. There's also Peter Island nearby. For a step up there's Guana Cay, which will rent you the whole island.

Mustique has some villas that would be fun for a wedding group, or you could book the Cotton House.

Fowl Cay in the Exumas is another nice option. There's also the Four Seasons on Great Exuma, if you want to be a little closer to civilization and have more options and accessibility to services. I received their wedding planning info when I was looking around for where to get married, and I was very impressed with how organized and put together they seemed. No other places provided me with information that was as detailed and easy to work with as theirs.

Also, The Villas on Bluefields Bay sound nice and are quite reasonable.

Young Island in the Grenadines also rents out their island.

Check out the reviews at Scubamom's web site. She has posted extensive trip reports of several upscale resorts throughout the Caribbean.

If you end up going with the BVI, particularly Virgin Gorda, feel free to PM me. That's where I got married. I'll be happy to put you in touch with the photographer we used, the florist and even the cute, Dominican hair/makeup stylist. We were satisfied with all of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.