Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone know anything about the Hotel de Berri, which appears to have just opened after the usual delays? I don't think this will play in the Palace sector, but rather 5*, similar to Prince de Galles. Would love to get any feedback, albeit I may be a bit too early, if it does indeed belong in this forum.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Does anyone know anything about the Hotel de Berri, which appears to have just opened after the usual delays? I don't think this will play in the Palace sector, but rather 5*, similar to Prince de Galles. Would love to get any feedback, albeit I may be a bit too early, if it does indeed belong in this forum.
I think it now is slated to open starting tomorrow, July 16...but there are a couple of unfortunate schemers who posted on TripAdvisor about booking here in advance and then whined when it didn't open in time for their stays and had to be re-booked at lesser/pricier accommodations. These people really annoy me.

I'd give it a few months at least to make sure it opens on time....and then not be surprised if you don't quite get the 5* treatment at a brand new hotel. I always like to give it at least 6 months before trying any new hotel.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think it now is slated to open starting tomorrow, July 16...but there are a couple of unfortunate schemers who posted on TripAdvisor about booking here in advance and then whined when it didn't open in time for their stays and had to be re-booked at lesser/pricier accommodations. These people really annoy me.

I'd give it a few months at least to make sure it opens on time....and then not be surprised if you don't quite get the 5* treatment at a brand new hotel. I always like to give it at least 6 months before trying any new hotel.
I knew you’d chime in . This is for a May 2019 stay, so should be plenty of time for them to get up and running at 100%. I’m debating between here and PdG on points (in a Junior Suite at Berri; Deluxe Room at PdG, with whatever Platinum might get us on top), or splurging and going with Crillon, Ritz, Bristol, Lutetia (fantastic location), or our past favorite Le Meurice.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I knew you’d chime in . This is for a May 2019 stay, so should be plenty of time for them to get up and running at 100%. I’m debating between here and PdG on points (in a Junior Suite at Berri; Deluxe Room at PdG, with whatever Platinum might get us on top), or splurging and going with Crillon, Ritz, Bristol, Lutetia (fantastic location), or our past favorite Le Meurice.

I'll be most curious to see where you do stay. For an award stay, it's hard for me to consider the HdB when I know the impeccable quality of the PdG--and the locations are so close. I'd also consider the PH Vendome on an award stay since the Vendome is my favorite location in Paris. For a paid stay, we know we'd opt for the Crillon--that's more our style and speed--but the Ritz and others also are nearby and look amazing. It's all a matter of best cost/benefit for you and your own priorities. Hard to imagine you can go wrong with that list.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

I'll be most curious to see where you do stay. For an award stay, it's hard for me to consider the HdB when I know the impeccable quality of the PdG--and the locations are so close. I'd also consider the PH Vendome on an award stay since the Vendome is my favorite location in Paris. For a paid stay, we know we'd opt for the Crillon--that's more our style and speed--but the Ritz and others also are nearby and look amazing. It's all a matter of best cost/benefit for you and your own priorities. Hard to imagine you can go wrong with that list.
I have both PdG and HdB booked, and plan on waiting for feedback on HdB as it comes in before deciding. What’s nice about HdB is that for 32K per night you get a 60sqm Jr. Suite, while 32K per night only gets you a Deluxe room at PdG (they want 60K for a Jr. Suite!). Given that we will be just baseline Platinum and therefore have no SNAs, the HdB has a big advantage there. Though the location is rather lame.

We did PH Vendome a few trips ago and thought it was fine but rather unmemorable, and I don’t love the Vendome location all that much. Crillon/Ritz just look so good to not give them a shot despite their location. Honestly all of the luxury hotels in Paris (other than Lutetia) aren’t really where I’d want to stay in an ideal world. Part of me thinks of staying at a 4* boutique or even an AirBnB in a more fun part of town, but the incredible standards of Parisian hospitality makes it impossible to forego the true luxe offerings.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
It does offer Starwood Luxury Privileges amenities currently — though all bets are off when Luxury Privileges and Ritz-Carlton STARS are rolled into one program.
  • USD 100 hotel Welcome credit per room, per stay
  • Daily breakfast for two guests
  • Complimentary standard in-room internet access
  • Upgrade on arrival, early check-in and late check-out which are all subject to availability
Don't love the location, north of the Champs Elysees up by the Etoile. It's a block away from Hotel Lancaster, another boutique hotel in the same neighborhood.
KatW and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:20 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Why not a nice Airbnb? Little more pricey but you’d get more space and style. Service wise Le Bristol is nice, but I dislike the area/decor, the exact opposite of my expierence with the mo. Pdg is a solid value hotel and I also liked that stay but don’t like the area. Breakfast at all these places is not good.

I think Airbnb is the best way to go, otherwise I’d probably opt for the Westin or something really inexpensive if you’re looking for just a room.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:58 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by DSI
I think Airbnb is the best way to go, otherwise I’d probably opt for the Westin or something really inexpensive if you’re looking for just a room.
Better than AirBNB (in which you're dealing with homeowners who may or may not have accurately portrayed the listing for their property ... and we all know how pictures can be deceptive), I recommend OneFineStay. It's the same idea but several distinct advantages:
  • Everything they rent is legal. You may be aware that there are illegal, unregistered rentals in Paris.
  • OneFineStay has vetted everything they rent.
  • It's run in each city by a professional team (Accor). You don't need to hook up with the owner at some odd hour to pick up keys or get problems resolved.
  • It's part of Virtuoso, and you get Virtuoso amenities at their homes and apartments in London, Paris, Rome, Milan, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and Miami: Choice of $100 value Fridge Fill on arrival or a $100 Concierge Credit to be used towards guest experiences and after sale items that are offered by our Concierge in the booked destination (car hire, transfers, private chef, or additional grocery items that might be required).
  • Service is available 24/7 if you run into difficulties, and OneFineStay can provide concierge services as well.
  • Guests receive a complimentary iPhone for their use during their stay with (a) a one-touch button to reach OneFineStay and (b) free data and phone service.
Virtuoso amenities are available of course only if you book through a Virtuoso agent; there are quite a few on this forum.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:23 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Of course my expierences may be unique, service levels have actually been better with Airbnb for me. Helping arrange sitters with nieces, surprise bottles of wine, local (helpful) tips, huge flower arrangements, etc....

i reached out to one fine stay years ago and found that they stunk, and were simply trying to sell me on something and don’t offer the extras that a solid Airbnb has. Felt like a pretty low end sales organization to me.

In 100% of the cases communication was way quicker and better than onefinestay. Even pdg, which has a great concierge, was slower.

But thats my comparison son based on several firsthand expierences, and hopefully you can also enjoy similarly lovely experiences.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We were just in Paris staying at the lovely Hotel D’Aubusson on the left back by the Pont Neuf. I highly recommend it. We had lunch at the Ritz and I just say that it looks fantastic after the renovations. It may have topped the public spaces of the George V.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:07 pm

I have both PdG and HdB booked, and plan on waiting for feedback on HdB as it comes in before deciding. What’s nice about HdB is that for 32K per night you get a 60sqm Jr. Suite, while 32K per night only gets you a Deluxe room at PdG (they want 60K for a Jr. Suite!). Given that we will be just baseline Platinum and therefore have no SNAs, the HdB has a big advantage there. Though the location is rather lame.

We did PH Vendome a few trips ago and thought it was fine but rather unmemorable, and I don’t love the Vendome location all that much. Crillon/Ritz just look so good to not give them a shot despite their location. Honestly all of the luxury hotels in Paris (other than Lutetia) aren’t really where I’d want to stay in an ideal world. Part of me thinks of staying at a 4* boutique or even an AirBnB in a more fun part of town, but the incredible standards of Parisian hospitality makes it impossible to forego the true luxe offerings.
My absolute favorite is Le Bristol, and I like it so much that I have mostly stopped looking elsewhere, even though there are so many wonderful options in Paris.

However, if one has points available, I think PdG and PH are simply amazing value propositions. There are a lot of great restaurants and excellent places to go shopping in Paris with the money saved on room rate in that case. I would not take a chance on a newly opened property when you have the option of PdG.

I will not be doing AirBnB in this lifetime. There are too many great hotels, and staying in a stranger’s rented home does not appeal to me in the slightest. It’s become very popular, but I just do not get it. OneFineStay does sound better, and could be an option for long term stays, but in my view not for short term stays. I need the 24 hour room service, spa, and everything else that comes with a proper hotel.
vuittonsofstyle and Vaterland like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
My absolute favorite is Le Bristol, and I like it so much that I have mostly stopped looking elsewhere, even though there are so many wonderful options in Paris.
I know you and others like @KatW love Le Bristol...but we despised it. The decor in the rooms and suites still makes me shudder. No amount of good service there can undo those shudders. Knowing @callmedtop and I agree so often, I can’t imagine Le Bristol would be a good fit.

My comparison and contast “review” of top Paris luxury hotels (Crillon, Ritz, Bristol, Pen, FS, PdG, MO, and PH) from last Oct showcases the shudders and our dismay at Le Bristol and FSGV and appreciation for the Crillon, Ritz, Pen, PdG, etc:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ry-hotels-2202

(I asked mods to add that link to this thread, but there is concern that so many photos will cause trouble with this thread loading properly.)
​​​
However, if one has points available, I think PdG and PH are simply amazing value propositions. There are a lot of great restaurants and excellent places to go shopping in Paris with the money saved on room rate in that case. I would not take a chance on a newly opened property when you have the option of PdG.
On this, we do largely agree...but I also think in a year’s time that the Hotel de Berri may yet approach a sophistication and level of service that makes it another amazing value proposition. I also think @callmedtop has a point about the relative value add of getting a larger junior suite at the HdB for the same number of points as a regular room at the PdG. While the location of the HdB isn’t my favorite, it’s also a comparable distance from my favored Vendome area—even if @callmedtop isn’t so keen on that area.

I will not be doing AirBnB in this lifetime. There are too many great hotels, and staying in a stranger’s rented home does not appeal to me in the slightest. It’s become very popular, but I just do not get it. OneFineStay does sound better, and could be an option for long term stays, but in my view not for short term stays. I need the 24 hour room service, spa, and everything else that comes with a proper hotel.
On this. I reserve the right to withhold judgment. As long as there is a wonderful luxury hotel available, I’d always opt for that over AirBnB or OneFineStay—as we have no family/kids and concomitant need for more than 1 room/suite like so many others. I also don’t quite trust the air con capabilities of any AirBnB or OneFineStay accommodation, no matter how plush.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 15, 2018 at 8:35 pm
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:00 pm

I know you and others like @KatW love Le Bristol...but we despised it. The decor in the rooms and suites still makes me shudder. No amount of good service there can undo those shudders. Knowing @callmedtop and I agree so often, I can’t imagine Le Bristol would be a good fit.
I love it when we do disagree. While Le Bristol's room decor is very uninspired in my eyes, especially relative to the other players in their price category (the window treatments and bedding make me shudder), the public areas/garden and staff of Le Bristol really seems to go above and beyond. We toured most of the Palace hotels last year when choosing a wedding venue and Le Bristol went above and beyond when meeting with us. It was by far the best interaction we had with any hotel in Paris, including Le Meurice where we were actually staying. They spent 2+ hours with us, had a customized gift bag waiting upon our arrival, and were just truly delightful to work with. They also did this with 90 minutes notice, as I had forgotten to include Le Bristol in our list of tours.

So, yes, we do agree on room decor, but if it were not for the stunning renovations of Crillon and the Ritz (the latter of which was much snootier during our tour, FWIW), I'd probably go with Bristol if using cash.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:20 pm
Suspended

I love it when we do disagree. While Le Bristol's room decor is very uninspired in my eyes, especially relative to the other players in their price category (the window treatments and bedding make me shudder), the public areas/garden and staff of Le Bristol really seems to go above and beyond. We toured most of the Palace hotels last year when choosing a wedding venue and Le Bristol went above and beyond when meeting with us. It was by far the best interaction we had with any hotel in Paris, including Le Meurice where we were actually staying. They spent 2+ hours with us, had a customized gift bag waiting upon our arrival, and were just truly delightful to work with. They also did this with 90 minutes notice, as I had forgotten to include Le Bristol in our list of tours.

So, yes, we do agree on room decor, but if it were not for the stunning renovations of Crillon and the Ritz (the latter of which was much snootier during our tour, FWIW), I'd probably go with Bristol if using cash.
Ironically, we do agree on the wonderful public spaces and great service—not to mention the horrendously tired and dated decor of the rooms at Le Bristol. And that there are so many better options for the same price.

We also agree that the Crillon is stunning and so is the Ritz—and that the Ritz is far snootier. So I’m gonna take it as a positive.

We also had a lovely gift bag and were treated like gold while checking out Le Bristol. But I still could never bring myself to stay there. Yikes. It reminded me of all the reasons I don’t drive a Mercedes.

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:08 pm

For me it’s the service as a repeat guest, and the excellent F&B that makes me love Le Bristol so much. I do agree that the decor or some entry level rooms and suites is not exactly something to write home about, but it is undeniably comfortable and decor sometimes grows on me even if I do not initially like it. Their best rooms, Junior Suites, and larger suites are absolutely lovely in my eyes. And their signature suites - that I cannot afford any time soon - with rich wood paneling and beautiful color schemes are jaw dropping.

Then again, decor is a very personal choice. I do not always like contemporary decors with masculine color palettes. Sometimes I do, but often I like something else. In Paris FS George V and Plaza Athénée would be my second and third choices - overall, not just based on decor - after le Bristol.

I love Hôtel de Crillon, but actually miss it the way it used to be, and its lovely restaurant les Ambassadeurs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.