Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:09 am

We had another staycation at the Bristol.

This was a recovery stay as we had a couple of (minor) issues during our last stay and they were more than generous in their compensation :
- upgrade to their "lumiere suite" which is one of their top signature suites (you only have the two terrasses suites, penthouse and imperiale suite above)

- the lumiere suite was redone during the March 2020 lockdown so I guess the suite was used lightly.
- this a one BR suite with a huge walking in dresser and two full bathrooms facing the rue du fbg st honore with 2 small balconies
- the BR can be sold separately from the living room area so we have two separate entrances.
- there is nice table which can seat 6 and a large bookcase with travel books and other.
- we booked 3 slots of 30 mns each at the pool during our one night / 28 hours stay, very enjoyable (this time, the staff remind you when your time expired)
- the hotel occupancy was very light last week end . Feel that we owned the place. Very enjoyable and sad at the same time.
- We had 3 meals during our one night stay.
We tried 3 out of 4 chef Frechon signature dish available in room service
--- potatoes caviar was the same dish than in the restaurant (relatively easy to match in room service) My daughter wanted to taste it and she ate most of it in less than 30 seconds ... she told me that she needs food to grow.... didn't have the gut to tell her go and eat your pasta
--- asparagus on a bed of different things. This one was delicious. Definitely 3 Michelin stars. The best dish post covid. Life is back ).
--- codfish : good, but won't rate 3 stars.
We had the sole from the regular room service menu for both dinner and lunch. The menu suggested grilled but we preferred "meuniere style" and it was served with mashed potatoes (very rich, Robuchon style) and spinach. Both were delicious.
- the pistachio ice cream served with the chocolate desert was the highlight of this dessert.

- for breakfast I asked if the omelette can be larger than the last time and it didn't disappoint (had to compensate for my last night stolen starter). All my requests were fully honored
- the pineapple juice is delicious. Almost sure it's still home made.
- This time the juices were not a single glass but a small bottle so you can have a second glass if you want

- Their cake shop was also a delight. They did deliver to the room the cakes we ordered
- This room had 2 regular nexpresso machines (makes sense as it can be sold at 2 separate room), our junuir suite from the previous stay had none, I guess they could deliver one if your request

- Signature on room service : last time it was a consistent no signature policy, this time they asked once if I wanted the bill and the next day they ask me to sign at both meals (breakfast and lunhc). not a big deal.

- having your own table in the room that they dressed with lovely table clothes, China and glassware does make the difference with a regular room service meal. It was almost like having your own staffed private dining room.

Look forward to another stay
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:21 am
Original Member

Most here know my favorite hotel in Paris is Le Bristol. My second fave is St. James Paris. https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/fr...e-france-paris

It is in a residential neighborhood far from the commercial/tourist hoo-hah. Quiet, friendly, local bistros, some embassies. A real neighborhood with real Parisians. Sequestered in a green gardened gated enclave. The concierges can be icy but they are super competent.

I am plotting a return to France for a barge tour (upper Loire/Burgundy) in September/October. Two days in Paris before, four days after.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 23, 2021 at 2:02 am
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Most here know my favorite hotel in Paris is Le Bristol. My second fave is St. James Paris. https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/fr...e-france-paris

It is in a residential neighborhood far from the commercial/tourist hoo-hah. Quiet, friendly, local bistros, some embassies. A real neighborhood with real Parisians. Sequestered in a green gardened gated enclave. The concierges can be icy but they are super competent.

I am plotting a return to France for a barge tour (upper Loire/Burgundy) in September/October. Two days in Paris before, four days after.
I'm walking by the st james every sunday, looking at their renovation work.
I tried to have a brunch once there but they were not flexible with their menu

Hopefully the French borders will be open by September

by the way "Sequestered in a green gardened gated enclave" make me think of the entire 16th district )
SeamasterLux likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:08 pm

Just came back from Paris and would like to share some thoughts on Crillon (shout out to BESVISOR for arranging). We stayed five nights in a Grand Premier Room on the fourth floor facing the spa courtyard. The room was very nicely appointed and the attention to detail was evident (beautiful robes with contrasting collar and cuff, leather-bound Nespresso machine, embroidered pillow cases...etc.). No sign of wear and tear and everything was in tip-top condition.

The butler team led by Serge was amazing, they did not miss a step throughout our stay and checked in with us constantly. They even replaced a tube of toothpaste we brought from NY that was running out with the exact same thing without asking (not sure how they located the American version in Paris!). The concierge team was helpful and located a hard-to-find bottle of room fragrance our friend asked us to bring back. However, they do not seem to have the same level of "pull" as some other top hotels in Paris and couldn't get a few reservations we wanted even with advanced notice (of course this is not normal times as indoor dining just opened while we were there - so I'll give them another try next time when demand is presumably more 'normal').

The spa is small but treatments were good, appointments are needed to access spa facilities. F&B was average - breakfast in the courtyard was pleasant with friendly service, but food was nothing special and always took at least 20 minutes to arrive. We had dinner in the courtyard once and found the food to be forgettable. The Marie-Antoinette Terrace on the second floor which serves champagne and caviar was fantastic with front-row view of Place de la Concorde and tree-top views towards the Eiffel Tower. The Brasserie and L'Ecrin were both closed.

One thing that bothered us the most during our stay was constantly being asked whether we're guests of the hotel despite the relatively low occupancy, we were asked six to seven times whether we were guests of the hotel. This happened even three days into our stay and at one point I was asked three times in the span of two hours. We dressed casually given how hot it was in Paris last week but definitely still fashionable and put together so not sure what was going on. We didn't complain and got over it but this was a huge turnoff and I hope it does not happen again when we return next time.
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I gotta say, no matter how great a stay was (and that toothpaste replacement move is one for the books), if I was asked 6-7 times if I was a guest of the hotel, I would certainly not return for another stay. For me, I want to feel welcome when I’m in my “home away from home” and that gives the exact opposite impression. A shame, because it otherwise looks quite special.

I would assume that as a young millennial I would get the same type of reception, so it’s crossed off my list. Le Meurice, which draws an older crowd, never once made me feel unwelcome during my stay there a few years ago. In fact, the downright opposite.

Thank you for sharing!
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I gotta say, no matter how great a stay was (and that toothpaste replacement move is one for the books), if I was asked 6-7 times if I was a guest of the hotel, I would certainly not return for another stay. For me, I want to feel welcome when I’m in my “home away from home” and that gives the exact opposite impression. A shame, because it otherwise looks quite special.

I would assume that as a young millennial I would get the same type of reception, so it’s crossed off my list. Le Meurice, which draws an older crowd, never once made me feel unwelcome during my stay there a few years ago. In fact, the downright opposite.

Thank you for sharing!
That annoys me a lot too, but I might cut them some slack with everyone still wearing masks. It’s a lot harder to recognize people when you can only see half their face
obscure2k and Jerkstore like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by United747
That annoys me a lot too, but I might cut them some slack with everyone still wearing masks. It’s a lot harder to recognize people when you can only see half their face
Fair point!
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Yeah, the mask may have had something to do with it. They also never made me feel uncomfortable, just annoyed lol. Aside from this issue - the service was close to flawless.
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I'm sure a word with the hotel manager would have solved the problem immediately.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:25 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Fc912 I've already mentioned the issue to management
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:40 am

Crillon : why they asked if you’re a guest ? You can’t go to the spa ?
I was never a guest and had few restaurants visit (prior Covid and prior and after renovation) and never asked me if I was a guest.

also asking « are you a guest » is bad / stupid way to ask if someone is staying at the hotel.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CGRA
Crillon : why they asked if you’re a guest ? You can’t go to the spa ?
I was never a guest and had few restaurants visit (prior Covid and prior and after renovation) and never asked me if I was a guest.

also asking « are you a guest » is bad / stupid way to ask if someone is staying at the hotel.
Sometimes happens at hotels, but after only once. After it they remember. I hate it....
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Cheval Blanc Paris opens 7 September.
Looks like rates are around EUR 1,150/night for the entry level room, which is more or less in line with the other top of the range (expected they'd be higher actually).
The interiors look nothing like what I was expecting though...
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/chev...eptember-2021/
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Am I looking at the floor plan correctly for a deluxe room where the WC is in a completely seperate area from the main bathroom?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:45 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Am I looking at the floor plan correctly for a deluxe room where the WC is in a completely seperate area from the main bathroom?
Seems to be that way in most of them from the floor plans - across from the rest of the bathroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.