Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sophialite
Seems like in the same building as the new department store.

i don’t know if I can do it. I love Le Bon Marche. If this is as good as that, and I stayed at the Cheval Blanc, then I’d never leave the building. and that goes against everything about visiting Paris hahah.
Which? Are they putting another department store in the old Samaritaine building?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Which? Are they putting another department store in the old Samaritaine building?
yup basically another Le Bon Marche
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:23 am

Mandarin Oriental Paris
We had a brunch there few years ago and service was horrible
I had a tea time lately and there is no improvement, still horrible service. This is really a deal breaker as the food is not bad and prices are reasonable.
Probably I'm not the only one not happy as most tea times in Paris are booked days in advance and MO was open to walk in and not full
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
I know usually people don't book hotels six to seven months in advance, but do luxury hotel prices really change much? I'm looking at a trip for mid June to Paris, and many Virtuoso properties are 1.5x or more the price of what I see for the next two weeks.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
mid-June pricing in Paris

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
I know usually people don't book hotels six to seven months in advance, but do luxury hotel prices really change much? I'm looking at a trip for mid June to Paris, and many Virtuoso properties are 1.5x or more the price of what I see for the next two weeks.
The Paris Air Show is June 17-23. This week is extremely high occupancy, and prices will be set higher. Have you been checking dates that overlap this event?

Mid-December is definitely Low Season in Paris, and rates will be set accordingly.

My standard advice to clients is to book your hotels now (as long as there's no deposit) and monitor the rates. If they go up, you've set the maximum you'll pay. If they go down, your Virtuoso travel advisor can get them revised downward as long as you're outside the cancel deadline.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by DavidO
The Paris Air Show is June 17-23. This week is extremely high occupancy, and prices will be set higher. Have you been checking dates that overlap this event?

Mid-December is definitely Low Season in Paris, and rates will be set accordingly.

My standard advice to clients is to book your hotels now (as long as there's no deposit) and monitor the rates. If they go up, you've set the maximum you'll pay. If they go down, your Virtuoso travel advisor can get them revised downward as long as you're outside the cancel deadline.
Thanks David. I looked at Monday - Friday 6/15-19, 22-26, and 6/27 - 7/3, prices don't seem that much different.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:16 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
The menswear shows start on 23 June so this will be a factor too (albeit not as much as women's couture or RTW). Couture starts on 5 July. The top hotels will definitely be at a premium.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
PFW and summer time in general tend to be peak rates. You don’t book earlier in this scenario to save money, you book earlier just to be able to get a room in a hotel you want to stay in.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:50 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I stayed two nights in a Deluxe Suite (#220) (disclosing it was comp'd) at the Mandarin over the weekend. I really liked the room itself - it was a corner style room overlooking the courtyard garden. Nice separate spaces, good bathroom, loads of storage, great bed, I like Diptyque so the amenities were a nice touch. The hotel's location is exceptional for me in Paris (as would be Ritz, Park Hyatt, Meurice, Crillon). I love the Vendome area. Service was very good during stay - only weak moment was breakfast on the Saturday where they were overrun at the end of service and standards were slipping (we got back from a fashion show at 10:30 AM and breakfast finished at 11 AM. Seems like everyone had the same idea! Enjoyed having the large pool - you can swim short laps. I know it isn't what everyone looks for in Paris, but for the right person, it should do the trick. I'm happy to recommended to the right clients.

I also stayed a night at a boutique place in the Marais named Sinner (also comp). This hotel is by EVOK hotels who are a relatively new brand and I believe are looking to expand more - they currently have four hotels in Paris (including Cour des Vosges which I visited and have some comments on below, Nolinksi and Brach), a restaurant in Paris, and some chalets in Courchevel. They're all designed a little to be an antidote to Paris' palace properties. Sinner is not for everyone. I very much enjoyed it - our Deluxe Room (#205) was beautiful and spacious - I loved all the interior decorating and design details - the vinyl player was a great touch. The bed was amazing and the bathroom with its wet room was very good. But, this is a bit of a 'scene' hotel and it doesn't hide this fact. It is design focused and probably very much for a younger (at heart?) clientele. They have self-branded lubricant in the bathrooms. Two tubes. Service was great here - front desk very accommodating (you're led to your room by a robed attendant with a candle lantern) and restaurant/bar staff attentive. Location is fantastic on Rue de Temple - close to Picasso Museum and many of my favorite places to eat and stop by in Paris. They have a DJ in the lobby and have smoke machines in the restaurant/lobby at night.

I visited Cour des Vosges and saw a gorgeous Deluxe Suite (#101) here. This is a new place - it is part of the EVOK group and opened in October 2019. There are only 12 keys - 6 rooms and 6 suites in the building which is directly located on Place des Vosges. There are limited facilities - just a tea room and a large jacuzzi, however, this might be all some people need in Paris. The location is such a winner - this is my favorite square in Paris. The Deluxe Suite I saw was Junior Suite in style (i.e. one room), they do have suites with separate living areas. This suite was beautiful - around 50 sqm - and had a fantastic view through large windows out onto Place des Vosges. The decor of the rooms is stunning! The ceilings are original 17th century, and the design of the room is modern, but not in a way that detracts from the history of the building - the bed is housed inside a stainless steel structure. All suites have small kitchens - this had a cooktop, over, dishwasher, and tools for cooking should you wish. Bathroom was beautiful - freestanding bath. I loved the style of the room. Would definitely recommend this to people who might want to go independent, but just want to have some services of a boutique hotel available should they wish.

I also saw Pavilion de la Reine which I believe used to be Virtuoso but is now just with SLH. Again, this one is located with the entry right on Place des Vosges, though I don't believe any rooms actually overlook the square. This is a great little boutique option in this area of Paris. Much more traditional than Sinner and with more facilities than Cour des Vosges. I saw a Superior Room (#21) which was small, but nicely refreshed. A Duplex Deluxe Room (#16) was nice and featured separate living and sleeping areas given the duel level layout. Obviously not suitable for all given the stairs in the room. A Prestige Junior Suite (#7) was located in the older part of the building (18th century). This was a great suite - very long layout which gives the impression it is quite large. Beautiful beams preserved on the walls and ceilings. Had a separate living space so really felt like a one bedroom suite. Finally saw the Victor Hugo Suite (#45) which is just a named room within the suite category. It was very nice - kitchenette, overlooked the inside garden, very Parisian in style and nice freestanding tub in the bathroom. Was 45 sqm apparently but I thought felt larger. Hotel has a nice small spa and fitness room. Restaurant has one Michelin star (just awarded) and feels quite casual compared to some others. Again, not a big palace style or a super 5 star like others in Paris, but a very solid option for the right demographic in the Marais.

Last up was a visit to JK Place. Wow! I adored this hotel and also loved my lunch at their Casa Tua offshoot restaurant with the adorable GM Riccardo (Michael from Casa Tua was also there, as was the owner of JK). They are still not 100% complete (the spa - Sisley, exclusive for in-house guests - was almost there and a couple of rooms in one of the building are having final touches - they are the only rooms in this building though, so no impact. They aren't far off though. The location is fabulous - right near Musee d'Orsay and only really 15 mins walk (I rode a scooter from Mandarin in 10 mins) from the Vendome area / Louvre / Place de la Concorde / etc. Just like its sister hotels, the property is gorgeously fit out - loved all the public spaces and the rooms. Many pieces of furniture/decor are restored from Paris' flea markets, or may be designer (e.g. Hermes lamps). Artwork is beautiful. I saw a Master Room (#9) which was very Parisian / Haussman with the moldings and 150 year old parquetry flooring, but with really nice updated furnishings and artwork. Bathrooms are beautiful. Walk-in robes in every room. Also saw a Junior Suite (#29) which sits below Master. It was a nice size also and a different style in that it had a mansard-style roof.
The pool was small, but very nice area. Also a decent size gym. Only 2-4 rooms on each floor, so floors are easy to privatize floors. They only have adjoining rooms at the moment, but will add some doors in some corridors to creater truer connecting rooms.
I think many people will love this hotel and I see it directly competing with La Reserve (albeit LR is more imperial in style and I would say JK is more chic). Location may be a factor. It is super discreet (I went past the entrance twice) and very boutique though at only 29 room keys. Website is actually very much what you see is what you get - feels like a super nice private home in Paris. LOVE.

Any question on any of the properties let me know. Will aim to get some pictures up on my website soon, but the poor thing has been neglected lately with me being busy with work / life, so perhaps by end of month before I head to India.

In summary, comfortable with Mandarin for right guests. Loved Sinner, but this is targeting a certain demographic which rightly or wrongly may or may not be for you. Cour des Vosges is a great boutique option in a smashing location. Pavilion de la Reine remains a lovely traditional option in Marais. JK Place isn't messing around and will definitely become some people's favorite in the city (unless they can't be on the Left Bank).

Last edited by SojournsOf; Mar 3, 2020 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by SojournsOf
Sinner is not for everyone. ... They have a DJ in the lobby...
I've learned the hard way that any hotel with a DJ in the lobby is very, VERY much not for me! I almost wish there was a warning for this right by the indication of whether it's a non-smoking property or not.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
I've learned the hard way that any hotel with a DJ in the lobby is very, VERY much not for me! I almost wish there was a warning for this right by the indication of whether it's a non-smoking property or not.
Agree! I prefer piano player
Cardboard55 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:34 am

Bristol Paris

Had a week end staycation lately at the Bristol and it was very good and relaxing

I booked directly on the hotel web , they had a special offer at Euro 790 including breakfast, welcome amenities, late check out and free parking (basically the same than FHR / virtuoso without the credit)
it's possible to find a lower rate on some OTO (seems that staycation.com is a popular one) but I prefered to book with the hotel than an OTO

I took a "wheely" , (better service than uber and the zillion other app and cheaper rate than blacklane) and 5 mns later we arrived there at about 2 pm
Check in was very easy and the check in staff was very Friendly.

Got upgraded to a junior suite at the 4th floor with view on the rue du faubourg st honore. This is exactly what I requested.
Not sure why they called that "junior", this is the same size than a full suite in most hotels, without wall separating the living room and bedroom area

The furnitures are classic style (about the same style than in the lobby) . We had a small balcony.
They do have double / double windows.
The bed is a little hard for my taste (I may have odd taste)

Very nice welcome amenities with champagne, water, juice, chocolates, macarons, flowers and I probably forget something
My daughter got a juice & cookie in a nice briefcase/ lunch box and the hotel signature teddy bear

I e-mailed the hotel a photo and they were kind enough to print it, frame it and it was on the desk upon arrival

Knowing that I can't go to restaurants lead me to think that restaurants are heaven on earth
(even if my last restaurant in October was very disappointing, "ducasse sur seine" , you have two dining rooms, you open only of one of them with no social distancing. Why they didn't open the second dining room to keep some social distancing ?. Yes waiters will have to walk few meters more... . I had the same issue at the Meurice's hotel brunch and this is also an Alain Ducasse restaurant.
By the way Mr Ducasse was part of a committee last May to determine the condition to re-open the restaurants.... seems that he has some stocks in hospitals°

To come back on topic, yes Epicure (one of the two Bristol restaurants) is probably the best restaurant that I know but this is "only" a restaurant and not heaven
In addition, room service (by nature) + covid (means limited staff) can't reproduce the same experience than in the restaurant so I was a little disappointed by the room service dinner. In my opinion Chef Frechon dish didn't taste /look the same than at the restaurant.
Don't misunderstand me, It was a very good in room dining and will definitely go back
The waiter came first with the appetizer, you have a small biper when you're ready for the main, so he came back for the main and of course the girls wanted more bread , so the poor waiter came a third time

We skipped desert as nothing was very tempting and we bought some cakes earlier from https://www.maison-kayser.com/fr/ bakery, 5 mns walking from the hotel (the room fridge was almost empty with only few bottles of water, thank you covid )

Speaking about desert, the hotel has a temporary shop with chocolates and cakes to take away, we tried on both Saturday and sunday and they were all already sold (their hot chocolate is very good)

The waiters and good parts of the staff wear N95 masks, kudos to the hotel to take good care of their staff.
All Covid protocols were followed VERY well. I'm sincerely impressed as this is NOT the case in numerous other "luxury" hotels

We used the pool and it's limited to 4 people at a time. We were 3 people so we had the pool for us for our 30 mns slot on Saturday and again 30 mns on sunday.
The pool is at the 6th floor of the hotel with a view of Paris and they have a nice outdoor area with 3 or 4 loungers and some chairs.
The sauna and lockers are closed.

I was too chicken to try a message during covid. The steam is closed. They do have a couple treatment room with a steam shower and Jacuzzi. I did ask if we can use it without treatment (yes I live on the twilight zone, more on that later) and they told me that the couple room is booked . They have a terrace suite with Jacuzzi, I didn't have the gut to ask them to use the terrace, I'll try next time )

We were surprised that the service was very fast. We wanted extra towels and they arrived very soon. Same with turndown service. Same with a hot water issue.
By the way the turndown service was also very good.
The bath amenities are very large, almost commercial use, unfortunately from their own brand

The in room breakfast on sunday morning was good, eggs of your choice, fruit's salad, croissant etc, a glass of juice & a hot drinks
The tea and the hot chocolates were very tasty (about the same than in their take away shop)

For lunch on sunday, I was not sure what to do, another in room dining ? We picked up some food https://www.dalloyau.fr/nos-boutique...loyau-faubourg at 2 mns walking and it was OK (You have 10% off with visa infinite, nice surprise)

In the afternoon we went to the lovely hotel garden and run /play with my daughter and check out at about 4 pm . Yes the bristol garden is my running area (and most of the time private)

The check out was easy and accurate. We don't have to sign for room service nor at their bakery shop. Assume they can give you a check if you ask for.

I love the book "a complain is a gift" and the Bristol really know how to handle complains : I made noise and I complained (I told you the twilight zone). The hotel manager handled it very well. I'm very jealous of the quality and customer service skills of her reply. Especially that my complains could be denied

If I have to rate the luxury Paris hotels (based only on bars / restaurants / SPA visits)

- The two top one , much better than all other by a mile : FS & Bristol

- The very good : la reserve and probably Peninsula

- The good : Meurice, Plaza Athenee, Shangri la, crillon, Ritz,

- The average (should not be called luxury) : Raffles Royal Monceau, MO, & keep the worst for the last Fouquets Barriere
MO Paris is saddly a disappointment, I love and missed the MO HK and this probably one of the first hotels I'll stay when borders will open (where they find the space for their new club lounge by the way ? )

Look forward to another staycation at the Bristol
KatW, francophile, ABG and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:01 pm
Original Member

Did you meet Fa-raon?

offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:48 pm

He moved to Germany and broke up with his girl Friend😕. So zero cat to play with
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CGRA
He moved to Germany and broke up with his girl Friend😕. So zero cat to play with
Well, that’s not good news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.