Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:26 am

We have a poor stay at Crillion especially so after moving from Penisula Paris which we highly raved , both on the hardware and software side. I agreed the Peninsula Pool being the best in Paris especially so it's heated.

We never receive the pre stay questionnaire as eluded by sophalite. On our first day of breakfast, we were literally ignored for full 20 minute before anyone acknowledge us despite the server walked by us couple of times. I hate the fact that you have to call to get any kind of service, such as there is no valet box like they do with Penisula Paris, ( we are staying in the Premier suite) , and you have to call the butler to arrange shoe shine and then they have to wake you up again the next morning to deliver the shoe back---extremely annoying. Once again, you have to call butler to arrange in room breakfast, unlike other hotel where you can just hang up the breakfast card and be done with it. Not to mention, there is no locker room to change in the fitness studio or the pool, as according to them they are under construction ( but nobody inform us prior to check in) . I can go on and on....etc. P/S, We are celebrating our 10th awedding anniversary on this trip and it truly put a dent to our mood with the poor stay experience.

I did make a complaints to the hotel manager but I didn't see any improvement in service at all the next day. Our friend whom had forewarned us prior that service at Crillion is really poor, he waited 45min to get a fried egg during his stay, and should have headed for his advice.

YMMV.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by califlyer8
Thank you--I had no idea! Do all TA's get the same rates?

If you count free nights when they are not publicly offered .... rates can change depending on the agent you select.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by silverlim
We have a poor stay at Crillion especially so after moving from Penisula Paris which we highly raved , both on the hardware and software side. I agreed the Peninsula Pool being the best in Paris especially so it's heated.

We never receive the pre stay questionnaire as eluded by sophalite. On our first day of breakfast, we were literally ignored for full 20 minute before anyone acknowledge us despite the server walked by us couple of times. I hate the fact that you have to call to get any kind of service, such as there is no valet box like they do with Penisula Paris, ( we are staying in the Premier suite) , and you have to call the butler to arrange shoe shine and then they have to wake you up again the next morning to deliver the shoe back---extremely annoying. Once again, you have to call butler to arrange in room breakfast, unlike other hotel where you can just hang up the breakfast card and be done with it. Not to mention, there is no locker room to change in the fitness studio or the pool, as according to them they are under construction ( but nobody inform us prior to check in) . I can go on and on....etc. P/S, We are celebrating our 10th awedding anniversary on this trip and it truly put a dent to our mood with the poor stay experience.

I did make a complaints to the hotel manager but I didn't see any improvement in service at all the next day. Our friend whom had forewarned us prior that service at Crillion is really poor, he waited 45min to get a fried egg during his stay, and should have headed for his advice.

YMMV.
I can't rebut any of the issues you had at the Crillon but all of them pale to me when I can walk out the front door of the hotel and be in the Place de la Concorde. I'll take that any time as opposed to the inconvenient location of the Peninsula. I did spend three nights there last year and while I liked to hotel a lot walking anywhere I wanted to go was a chore.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by wripro
I can't rebut any of the issues you had at the Crillon but all of them pale to me when I can walk out the front door of the hotel and be in the Place de la Concorde. I'll take that any time as opposed to the inconvenient location of the Peninsula. I did spend three nights there last year and while I liked to hotel a lot walking anywhere I wanted to go was a chore.
As I said before YMMV. I simply reflect what we encounter. Just to add another sore point to the poor stay, I booked a 60 min chiropractic treatment but the the chiropractor finish at 40 min mark. The concierge also trying to charge us extra 300 euro for an included round trip transfer.

We actually like the Peninsula location better than Crillion, the subway is just right in front of the hotel . We are not a fan of the busy and noisy thoroughfare at place de concord the hotel is facing
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

As I said before YMMV. I simply reflect what we encounter. Just to add another sore point to the poor stay, I booked a 60 min chiropractic treatment but the the chiropractor finish at 40 min mark. The concierge also trying to charge us extra 300 euro for an included round trip transfer.
I also dislike when spa therapists play games with the time. You should definitely write to the Rosewood area VP.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:15 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by wripro
We actually like the Peninsula location better than Crillion, the subway is just right in front of the hotel . We are not a fan of the busy and noisy thoroughfare at place de concord the hotel is facing
We think the Crillon and Pen are both spectacular hotels, with a slight edge for us to the Crillon for its more authentic French Deco ambience and proximity to the Vendome and perhaps a slight edge to the Pen for its service and F&B.

That being said, we continue to find that such location differences in a city aren't always so big a deal for us. We will stay again at the Prince de Galles in an area that isn't my favorite--but it's just a 10 min taxi ride to the Crillon or Vendome, and it's but a 20-25 min walk for us on a nice day.

We have found the same to be true for us in Istanbul, Hong Kong, New York, London, San Francisco, Sydney, Tokyo, Kyoto, Shanghai, Rome, Florence, Venice, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:36 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by califlyer8
Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what your preference/recommendations would be? And what is Shangri-La & Rosewood TA?
I would not be so quick to discount Shangri-la and Royal Monceau - both of which are generous with 3 for 2 offers and early check-ins confirmed (always helpful, but maybe less so depending if you really are a California Flyer or not). Royal Monceau had some fantastic Christmas decor the last two years, even though I found the upside down Christmas tree a little strange.
Groombridge likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Travelling to Paris in October for our wedding anniversary - its been over 10 years since we first visited. I have pouring through the Luxury thread. We would like to stay somewhere special (a luxury hotel) for this trip (5 nights). We will not be using points (so its cash). Can spend up to 1100/night (this is a treat for us) and have access to FHR, Costco and I am learning about Virtuoso. The hotel experience is the primary driver for this trip so we can be flex on location - but if the two marry up that would be terrific. Couple + questions:

Do you recommend any of the booking sites above or should we use a TA or call hotel directly? An upgrade would be nice.
Recommendations for hotels to focus on?
Do any of them (with a specific room type) include car service to/from CDG? I see that Virtuoso had one-way transfer and Costco includes it for both ways.

Thank you I really love this travel community.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:55 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Jet City Woman
Travelling to Paris in October for our wedding anniversary - its been over 10 years since we first visited. I have pouring through the Luxury thread. We would like to stay somewhere special (a luxury hotel) for this trip (5 nights). We will not be using points (so its cash). Can spend up to 1100/night (this is a treat for us) and have access to FHR, Costco and I am learning about Virtuoso. The hotel experience is the primary driver for this trip so we can be flex on location - but if the two marry up that would be terrific. Couple + questions:

Do you recommend any of the booking sites above or should we use a TA or call hotel directly? An upgrade would be nice.
Recommendations for hotels to focus on?
Do any of them (with a specific room type) include car service to/from CDG? I see that Virtuoso had one-way transfer and Costco includes it for both ways.

Thank you I really love this travel community.
Congrats on your milestone!!

I think your budget should work fine as some will have 5th night free promotions in Oct. I believe Rosewood Crillon has it and of course you'll be upgraded at booking by using many TAs here who are Rosewood Elite.

Ritz Paris also offers upgrade at booking & complimentary roundtrip transfers with VIP meet & greet as part of Virtuoso.
But might just be slightly higher than your budget...depending on your dates. But worth giving it a look if it's your style

Being a TA, obviously means I'm slightly bias about the value we offer but I do believe you should go through a reputable TA here or elsewhere who can provide you the Virtuoso or direct hotel branded amenities and pulls. Should be a better experience/value than FHR, Costco or other online sites.

Cheers!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Sep 16, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Heading to Paris in January (5-8). Stuck between the Peninsula and Shangri-la as both have 3 for 2 and can get a junior suite for about $900/nt. (Or should I just go big and do Crillon/Rtiz, although I don't know if its worth the 3-day $1000 premium). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are also going Dec 29-January 1, but dong Park Hyatt on points.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jerkstore
Heading to Paris in January (5-8). Stuck between the Peninsula and Shangri-la as both have 3 for 2 and can get a junior suite for about $900/nt. (Or should I just go big and do Crillon/Rtiz, although I don't know if its worth the 3-day $1000 premium). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are also going Dec 29-January 1, but dong Park Hyatt on points.
Only you can decide what the best cost/benefit will be for your budget and expectations.

I think the Crillon and Pen are among the absolute best hotels in the city and love their ambience and decor. The Crillon location is better to me and the hotel is beautifully done, but the Pen’s reported to have even more consistently reliable service and perhaps the best cost/benefit in the city; the Pen the MO are the only other beautifully modern palace hotels. I have less familiarity with the Shangri-La; I think of it as only about the Eiffel view.

For the money, I might lean toward the junior suite at the Pen.

Whichever you choose, they’ll be more impressive than the PH. But I love the PH location.
BESVISOR and Jerkstore like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Though the Crillon is my top choice I actually also love the Shangri-la having stayed there several times. Besides the aforementioned Eiffel Tower view (I could never tear myself away from the windows at night) I find it a much more intimate and truly Parisian experience. They have a great pool and spa. And I prefer that location to the Pen because I prefer to walk in Paris to taking taxis and a short stroll down Avenue President Woodrow Wilson takes you to Avenue Montaigne and a hop across the bridge to the 7th whereas the only thing close to the Penis the Champs Ulysses which I desperately try to avoid.
Groombridge and Jerkstore like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Only you can decide what the best cost/benefit will be for your budget and expectations.

I think the Crillon and Pen are among the absolute best hotels in the city and love their ambience and decor. The Crillon location is better to me and the hotel is beautifully done, but the Pen’s reported to have even more consistently reliable service and perhaps the best cost/benefit in the city; the Pen the MO are the only other beautifully modern palace hotels. I have less familiarity with the Shangri-La; I think of it as only about the Eiffel view.

Whichever you choose, they’ll be more impressive than the PH. But I love the PH location.
By the time we go we will have spent 8 nights at the PH so I think it’s best to change the location up so we can explore a different part of the city. Probably stick with the Pen (cigar lounge calls to me).

edit - now I am seeing Le Meurice for $800ish.....
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Jerkstore; Sep 19, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yeah, the Junior Suite is great bang for your buck. I'm pretty sure mine was 100 sq ft. larger than the Deluxe Suite at Crillon despite the latter being nearly 2x per night.

I think some TAs with relationships with Pen can even book one category below and confirm a booking time upgrade to junior suite?
bhrubin and Jerkstore like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:50 pm

Does anyone have a list of what Paris hotels offer VIP airport transfers as part of the rate?

i have heard Crilion and Ritz but are there others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.