Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Great thread. Would I crazy to say that Paris may be the best market in the world for luxury hotels? The elegance and glamour of a lot of the hotels fit Paris very nicely.

Just wait until the Mandarin Oriental (2011), Shangri-La (late 2009) and The Peninsula Hotel (2012) open. I'll be interested in the dining options and the decor of all three.
I've noticed that The Peninsula Hotel site has added Paris to its hotels (2012):

http://www.peninsula.com/Peninsula_H...spx#/Paris/en/
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Frontenac

Anyone else has stayed at one of the frontenac hotels?
I've stayed at the Hotel Splendid next to the Arc of Triomphe and the hotel and Frontenac between the avenues George V and Champs Elysees. The other hotels are the Rochester and the Roosevelt they are 4 star hotels, I've stayed the Royal Barriere in Deauville, a 5 star hotel and the luxury is comparable! they do lack the swimming pool though...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Four Seasons Hotel George V, Paris (negotiate a rate with the GM, Christopher Norton).

Plaza Athenee, Paris.

Le Meurice, Paris.

Hospes Lancaster, Paris.

Avoid all else unless you are on a budget
Have stayed in these four and others and completely agree- that these are the top stays in Paris. I actually would switch the order of the Plaza Athenee and the George V, but I think that depends on what you most value...I like the fun festive and very chic Bar du Athenee at the Plaza Athenee and the in-building access to the Dior Spa. The breakfast in Alain Ducasse is one of the best I've had with a pastry basket that is a work of art. The George V is beautiful, and formal and elegant and immaculate. Lunch at Le Cinq is a service experience to remember. If you stay at Le Meurice, don't miss the prix fixe lunch in the dining room- and pop next door for chocolate from Angelina - go on a weekday to avoid the lines
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Brilliant stuff, man! What you have to say is really important and I am glad you took the time to share it.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A review of the restaurant at LeBristol from the Financial Times January 2011:

Frankly, Monsieur le Président …

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0e419aa0-1...#axzz1BZKW70Sj

Quite surprising (in a negative way) for LeBristol.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there was a recent discussion about disputing hotel charges. has anyone done it with a restaurant?

although in this case it seems more "odd" than anything else >

problems started in the last 15 minutes of our meal

At precisely 3pm the sound of hammering began in a room adjacent to the restaurant.

by 3pm most of the restaurant’s staff had vanished. Only the waiter with the trolley of petits fours was left, and he seemed determined to ignore our table...we were never offered a petit four despite the waiter putting them in a box for our neighbours at the next table and then wheeling the trolley, fully laden, in front of us and parking it in the middle of the room.
what do people make of the food discussion?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 20, 2011 at 5:29 am
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there was a recent discussion about disputing hotel charges. has anyone done it with a restaurant?

although in this case it seems more "odd" than anything else >

what do people make of the food discussion?
Regarding the food- considering the cost for lunch- seems a bit underwhelming.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Has anyone tried out the new Shangri-la Paris yet?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by PurpleTravel
Have stayed in these four and others and completely agree- that these are the top stays in Paris. I actually would switch the order of the Plaza Athenee and the George V, but I think that depends on what you most value...I like the fun festive and very chic Bar du Athenee at the Plaza Athenee and the in-building access to the Dior Spa. The breakfast in Alain Ducasse is one of the best I've had with a pastry basket that is a work of art. The George V is beautiful, and formal and elegant and immaculate. Lunch at Le Cinq is a service experience to remember. If you stay at Le Meurice, don't miss the prix fixe lunch in the dining room- and pop next door for chocolate from Angelina - go on a weekday to avoid the lines
Since the post you quoted, I am revising my opinion on the best in Paris.

FS George V - absolutely. The new rooms are spectacular and will roll out half a floor at a time. New Penthouse opens May/June - unbelievably gorgeous, with several garden terraces.

Hôtel Le Bristol under Didier Le Calvez is already greatly improved, but new work could make it one of the best - doubling size of spa to 10 rooms, moving restaurant, re-doing suites, etc etc, but this time using Pierre Yves Rochon. Worth watching.

Lancaster under Hospes is not as good as under GLA, although they say they will renovate the bathrooms - much needed.

Royal Monceau - can't stop laughing.

Shangri-La - have not stayed but public areas are beautiful (again Pierre Yves Rochon). Will have to wait until they open the other restaurants as currently only all-day dining is open.

Plaza Athénée - love the bar, quite like the courtyard, but does not compete entirely at top end.

Le Meurice - wish Philippe Starck had stayed away, but still like the rooms/suites facing the Tuileries.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:24 pm

Since the post you quoted, I am revising my opinion on the best in Paris.

FS George V - absolutely. The new rooms are spectacular and will roll out half a floor at a time. New Penthouse opens May/June - unbelievably gorgeous, with several garden terraces.

Hôtel Le Bristol under Didier Le Calvez is already greatly improved, but new work could make it one of the best - doubling size of spa to 10 rooms, moving restaurant, re-doing suites, etc etc, but this time using Pierre Yves Rochon. Worth watching.

Lancaster under Hospes is not as good as under GLA, although they say they will renovate the bathrooms - much needed.

Royal Monceau - can't stop laughing.

Shangri-La - have not stayed but public areas are beautiful (again Pierre Yves Rochon). Will have to wait until they open the other restaurants as currently only all-day dining is open.

Plaza Athénée - love the bar, quite like the courtyard, but does not compete entirely at top end.

Le Meurice - wish Philippe Starck had stayed away, but still like the rooms/suites facing the Tuileries.
You're the one who isn't impressed with the PH right?

I can't wait until the Mandarin Oriental opens this summer.

I also suspect that now le Calvez has gone, Shangri-La will impose more of THEIR thinking on the hotel, which will not be a good thing, as they are more used to doing vast business style hotels in Asia than 108-room boutiques in Europe - probably one of the reasons that le Calvez left.
From the early impressions, it looks the SL did a good job in this department. Hopefully it slowly trickles through the rest of the chain. Any word on when the SL's French restaurant will open? It sounds like it will be after a Michelin star.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Is there an opening date for the Mandarin Oriental?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
Is there an opening date for the Mandarin Oriental?
Supposedly the Mandarin Oriental will open this summer...

Anyone know what the rates will be? I wonder if they will have a grand opening promotional rate
Old May 1, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by m3m3m3
Supposedly the Mandarin Oriental will open this summer...

Anyone know what the rates will be? I wonder if they will have a grand opening promotional rate
It looks like they will be affiliated with Virtuoso, but they have not posted any rates yet. Their Virtuoso profile says, "Rates are on a request basis at this time. Details will be provided prior to hotel's opening in Summer 2011."

The Virtuoso amenities will be:
  • Upgrade, if available, upon check-in
  • Complimentary American breakfast for two daily
  • One-time 85 EUR spa credit
Old May 6, 2011, 6:06 am

This week the new 'palace' label was launched in France.
Only 8 hotels received the label:
- Bristol (Paris),
- Meurice (Paris),
- Park Hyatt Vendôme (Paris),
- Plaza Athénée (Paris),
- les Airelles (Courchevel),
- Cheval Blanc (Courchevel),
- Hôtel du Palais (Biarritz),
- Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat (Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat).

It is so surprising that FSGV was rejected!
Old May 6, 2011, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
This week the new 'palace' label was launched in France.
Only 8 hotels received the label:
- Bristol (Paris),
- Meurice (Paris),
- Park Hyatt Vendôme (Paris),
- Plaza Athénée (Paris),
- les Airelles (Courchevel),
- Cheval Blanc (Courchevel),
- Hôtel du Palais (Biarritz),
- Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat (Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat).

It is so surprising that FSGV was rejected!
Indeed Pierre&Cedric it is surprising. Gallivanters had a little rant about it today over on Twitter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.