Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
Hotel du Louvre

This hotel, while under the management of Concorde Hotels, used to be a member of Virtuoso. The hotel had a reputation of being tired and in need of significant renewal. That has work has now been accomplished. After a complete closure, the hotel underwent an extensive renovation, reopening as a part of the Hyatt Unbound Collection. Hyatt Privé amenities are provided including breakfast for two daily, a $100 hotel credit, and an upgrade confirmed within 24 hours if available. The sales manager explained that if the forecasted occupancy is under 95% for your stay, you'll be upgraded at booking. Upgrade decisions are based based on the forecast of the Revenue Manager. I am told that the hotel will upgrade from the highest room category into the lowest suite category at booking, if available.
Will they upgrade from one suite to another?

Are the rooms quiet?

Any idea about breakfast quality?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by richarddd
Will they upgrade from one suite to another?
Are the rooms quiet?
Any idea about breakfast quality?
Yes to suite-to-suite upgrades.

I think the windows are double-glazed (don't specifically recall), but it's not a noisy location.

The Brasserie looked very nice but didn't have a chance to eat there.
richarddd likes this.

Last edited by DavidO; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks @DavidO for that summary of those other less known properties!

I have to say that I like the chic decor of the Fauchon L’Hotel more than that of many of the others. It makes a bold statement and most certainly feels different. What have your clients (or any others who have stayed here) said about the quality of service and F&B? What was your impression?

The Splendide Royal also looks and sounds wonderfully charming and inviting. I hadn't heard of that one before, so I'm most grateful you shared that info.

As for the Ritz Paris, I will say that--despite the horrendous gold-plated swan faucets--it still has more appeal to us than the depressing and over-wrought decor and furnishings at the Bristol. But we'd still always take the Crillon over any of the other Palace designated properties.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by DavidO
Yes to suite-to-suite upgrades.

I think the windows are double-glazed (don't specifically recall), but it's not a noisy location.

The Brasserie looked very nice but didn't have a chance to eat there.
We stayed at the Hotel du Louvre last month in a junior suite with a balcony facing Rue de Rivoli. As someone who loves the facade of Palais Garnier, I agree a room over the lobby, facing the street, would be nice. However, during our stay, we were able to watch right below us the bikers exiting the Carrousel du Louvre and turning left onto Rue de Rivoli on the final day of the Tour de France.

Not all rooms have balconies so request for one if you' really want one. In our room, there were two sets of doors leading to the balcony, an outer set and an inner set which effectively kept out the traffic noise.

We had lunch at Fauchon (the restaurant at the hotel, not at their store). The food and service were spot on. I thought lunch was very reasonably priced. By the way, Fauchon is known as a gastronomic brand, rather than for fashion.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by francophile
We stayed at the Hotel du Louvre last month in a junior suite with a balcony facing Rue de Rivoli. As someone who loves the facade of Palais Garnier, I agree a room over the lobby, facing the street, would be nice. However, during our stay, we were able to watch right below us the bikers exiting the Carrousel du Louvre and turning left onto Rue de Rivoli on the final day of the Tour de France.
Please comment on the noise level in the room and on the breakfast.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
The Crillon managed to do what the Ritz couldn't.....create a decor and atmosphere that was elegant and sophisticated without a touch of bling.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by wripro
The Crillon managed to do what the Ritz couldn't.....create a decor and atmosphere that was elegant and sophisticated without a touch of bling.
+1000

The Crillon managed to do what the Ritz didn't even try to do in the first place, I imagine.

#eekthegoldswans
EuropeanPete and SojournsOf like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This feels to me like another generational thing. I suspect that the Ritz has another 20 years before its guests get too old to travel, and that they’ll struggle to recruit new ones. The Crillon meanwhile has a much younger clientele and I am sure they will be successful in capturing new customers for the foreseeable future.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:56 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I'm not sure. I think it's just different things appeal to different people. I'm good friends with a woman in her mid-20s that detests the Crillon and says she has had numerous bad experiences there as a guest and as someone visiting a guest. Her first choice in Paris is The Ritz. My other friend swears by the Crillon and hosts events there every fashion week. My partner also hates (strong word, but his word) the Crillon. Different strokes for different folks.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This feels to me like another generational thing. I suspect that the Ritz has another 20 years before its guests get too old to travel, and that they’ll struggle to recruit new ones. The Crillon meanwhile has a much younger clientele and I am sure they will be successful in capturing new customers for the foreseeable future.
As laughably horrendous as those gold swan faucets may be, I still think the Ritz room/suite decor is far nicer and less debilitating than that of the Bristol. Nothing less impressed us than the shockingly drab and dated room/suite decor at the Bristol.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A true "tallest gold plated dwarf" contest there, bhrubin I've not stayed at either the Bristol or Le Meurice (and probably never would), but I suspect they have so far survived on older European money. Let's see if they need to "bling up" to appeal to the Arab/ Russian market or whether they are able to stay low key for the future.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A true "tallest gold plated dwarf" contest there, bhrubin I've not stayed at either the Bristol or Le Meurice (and probably never would), but I suspect they have so far survived on older European money. Let's see if they need to "bling up" to appeal to the Arab/ Russian market or whether they are able to stay low key for the future.
There are several here on FT whom I adore and whose opinions I otherwise very much respect...who also seem to love and adore the Bristol. I don't get it, but I don't worry about it, either. I usually just assume they had a minor stroke.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:07 pm

Are there any properties in the city that have nice free standing tubs ala Conrad Tokyo in pretty much every room and not just in the suites?

I've noticed that a lot of these 5 star properties publish these amazing photos of free standing baths in their rooms and then upon investigation, you realize those are only in the master suite, and every other room just has a run of the mill bath/shower combo or something to that end.

I'm mostly asking because my wife enjoys a nice big bathtub. It's a weird quirk, I know. Such a small thing to care about in a property but it matters to us.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jbandy10
Are there any properties in the city that have nice free standing tubs ala Conrad Tokyo in pretty much every room and not just in the suites?

I've noticed that a lot of these 5 star properties publish these amazing photos of free standing baths in their rooms and then upon investigation, you realize those are only in the master suite, and every other room just has a run of the mill bath/shower combo or something to that end.

I'm mostly asking because my wife enjoys a nice big bathtub. It's a weird quirk, I know. Such a small thing to care about in a property but it matters to us.
I have stayed in nearly every 5 star hotel mentioned in this Thread. The two most memorable tubs were in the Ritz and the Park Hyatt. There may have been others. Those are the tubs which are etched in my memory
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jbandy10

Peninsula has a big marble one. It's attached to the room but not one of those awful shower tub combos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.