Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I continue to get great feedback on Hotel De Crillon and clients are beginning to repeat stays.
Don't know much about La Reserve yet.
That's good to hear. I'll be trying the Crillon for the first time this Spring and am looking forward to it.
bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:09 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
@wripro Happy to share! Hope you'll have a great stay
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Any recent stays at La Reserve ?
Has the food improved from earlier reports here circa ~2016 ?
Is La Reserve seen to be in the same league as Hotel De Crillon etc or not really ?
Stayed in La Reserve October '16, went back for dinner at their 2 star Le Gabriel in August '18, whilst staying in Hotel de Crillon. To moi, La Reserve is a place designed for repeat guests; that is, it's focus is on customer service, but I didn't feel in 2016 that they could deliver on that well enough on a short stay to make it worthwhile or justify the price premium over the coompetition. Their suites are superb, but so are Crillon's, and Crillon has more facilities, a better location and better product. I wouldn't be disappointed to stay at either, but I'd pick Crillon.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:47 am

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I continue to get great feedback on Hotel De Crillon and clients are beginning to repeat stays.
Don't know much about La Reserve yet.
I love both hotels, but the food at La Réserve has improved dramatically and is way ahead of the Crillon, which is still not quite there.

I would not hesitate to return to either of them - both quite different, of course. One boutique and the other Grande Dame.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I love both hotels, but the food at La Réserve has improved dramatically and is way ahead of the Crillon, which is still not quite there.

I would not hesitate to return to either of them - both quite different, of course. One boutique and the other Grande Dame.
I usually find your comments to be almost sacrosanct. I most certainly agree with your latter bolded statement. But I’m not sure I agree with your former statement regarding food.

Way ahead? I confess to being extremely hesitatant to believe that level of hyperbole. Also, way ahead and not quite there even sound a bit oxymoronic to me.

It’s also hard for me to imagine choosing a Paris hotel based on only slight differences of perceived food quality...when it’s Paris with some of the world’s greatest food and dining options so readily available nearby! This is like choosing a San Francisco hotel based on slight differences in food quality for the same reason. In Paris and most cities, I can understand choosing a hotel based on size, ambience, location, and service, and perhaps even for having a full service restaurant or not. But not small differences in perceived food quality.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 16, 2018 at 8:00 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I usually find your comments to be almost sacrosanct. I most certainly agree with your latter bolded statement. But I’m not sure I see agree with your former statement regarding food.

Way ahead? I confess to being extremely hesitatant to believe that level of hyperbole. Also, way ahead and not quite there even sound a bit oxymoronic to me.

It’s also hard for me to imagine choosing a Paris hotel based on only slight differences of perceived food quality...when it’s Paris with some of the world’s greatest food and dining options so readily available nearby! This is like choosing a San Francisco hotel based on slight differences in food quality for the same reason. In Paris and most cities, I can understand choosing a hotel based on size, ambience, location, and service, and perhaps even for having a full service restaurant or not. But not small differences in perceived food quality.
I'm quite thankful for Vuitton's comments, as I have been to La Reserve a good while ago and the cuisine was so bad I vowed to never return. I am glad this seems resolved.

There are more people than you think who are staying at George V specifically for the restaurants and even extend their stay to 4-5 nights to be able to experience all of them, without ever leaving the hotel. In Paris!
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:20 am

Food and beverage at an hotel matters a great deal to me, as I like to dine in when staying instead of always going out. While most good hotels have acceptable food, there is more than a slight difference in quality when someone like Éric Fréchon is in the kitchen. Indeed, the food is one of the many reasons why I stay almost exclusively at le Bristol.
scented likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Food and beverage at an hotel matters a great deal to me, as I like to dine in when staying instead of always going out. While most good hotels have acceptable food, there is more than a slight difference in quality when someone like Éric Fréchon is in the kitchen. Indeed, the food is one of the many reasons why I stay almost exclusively at le Bristol.
Same. I just cannot be bothered to leave the hotel and find somewhere decent to eat every night. If the hotel has good food, I'm happy to eat exclusively there during my trips. Only exception is London, due to such a familiarity of nearby restaurants, but even then I still regularly eat at The Connaught when staying.

@scented, La Reserve's food also greatly disappointed me, particular the breakfast. I cannot say if it's got better, but dinner at Le Gabriel was good.
MikeFromTokyo and scented like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Same. I just cannot be bothered to leave the hotel and find somewhere decent to eat every night. If the hotel has good food, I'm happy to eat exclusively there during my trips. Only exception is London, due to such a familiarity of nearby restaurants, but even then I still regularly eat at The Connaught when staying.

@scented, La Reserve's food also greatly disappointed me, particular the breakfast. I cannot say if it's got better, but dinner at Le Gabriel was good.
I totally agree. And at the best hotels there is little need to go out.

I prefer to go out a few nights per week while traveling, and eat in the rest of the time. Just like I would do at home. And the best hotels make you feel at home when you dine in, so the atmosphere is more comfortable than having to go out. They’re especially good at remembering guests’ preferences, favorite tables, etc... and are especially accommodating of last minute reservations or schedule changes.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I usually find your comments to be almost sacrosanct. I most certainly agree with your latter bolded statement. But I’m not sure I see agree with your former statement regarding food.

I stay at both hotels. I only mention the slight food differences because many people choose their hotels according to the quality of the food.

On my previous stay at la Réserve I was disappointed with the food in Le Gabriel, but liked the all-day-dining and breakfast. This time, I thought the level of cooking in Le Gabriel was outstanding - it really surprised me - hence the hyperbole.

I would not hesitate to return to the Crillon - it really depends upon what you are looking for. They know that the food needs work, as currently the quality is a little patchy. This is hardly surprising, given how new the hotel is.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:07 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I’ve never enjoyed breakfasts at any hotel in Paris to date. Bad coffee across the board. That’s part of the reason I’d probably not stay again in the major hotels discussed in this forum again.

A good oof breakfast means a lot to me, and a good coffee all the more so. If I have to get that at a local cafe then I’d rather stay near said cafes.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by DSI
I’ve never enjoyed breakfasts at any hotel in Paris to date. Bad coffee across the board. That’s part of the reason I’d probably not stay again in the major hotels discussed in this forum again.

A good oof breakfast means a lot to me, and a good coffee all the more so. If I have to get that at a local cafe then I’d rather stay near said cafes.
You must have some pretty high standards when it comes to coffee. I rarely even have breakfast, but when I do, I find breakfast at these hotels to be pretty damn nice. Admittedly breakfast isn’t my thing in general, and while I do love and appreciate good coffee, I also guzzle Starbucks nonfat lattes on a daily basis.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:53 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

You must have some pretty high standards when it comes to coffee. I rarely even have breakfast, but when I do, I find breakfast at these hotels to be pretty damn nice. Admittedly breakfast isn’t my thing in general, and while I do love and appreciate good coffee, I also guzzle Starbucks nonfat lattes on a daily basis.
a glass of milk mixed with bad, old, burned beans.... hmmm? But yes, I am a snob
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by DSI
a glass of milk mixed with bad, old, burned beans.... hmmm? But yes, I am a snob
And I love it that way for my caffeine addiction. However, at an hotel I value good coffee.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
@wripro Happy to share! Hope you'll have a great stay
Thanks, Bevisor. I'm sure that won't be hard to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.