Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:37 pm
In memoriam

Since I will be staying in Paris for over a week during Fashion Week - I don't think any "free" upgrade is possible (my experiences with upgrades are limited to times when I have booked a short stay and the hotel isn't sold out).

No matter where I stay - I am booking a "red eye" arrival. That means that I will be paying for the night before even though I am arriving early in the morning (6 am). I am too old to arrive at 6 am and wait until the late afternoon to check into a room. There are times and places where you can arrive and get an early check-in - but I doubt this trip would be one of them (last year - we arrived in Berlin at 7 am the morning after a big soccer match - and if if we hadn't booked a "red eye" arrival - we wouldn't have been able to check in until about 5 pm. When I arrive in Europe in the early morning - I like to shower - get about 4-5 hours sleep - and then start my vacation.

Since I am not a Russian oil billionaire - I get to a "choke point" in terms of room prices. I can afford to pay 1000 euros a night - but really am not comfortable doing so. Perhaps I am too practical - but I ask myself what other things could I do with that money (which would include a lot of high end meals in Paris - I think the restaurants in Paris are the main attraction - the hotels are kind of a side show). FWIW - the best alternative that I have available to me now is a junior suite larger than the luxury rooms I have booked at the Westin - 420 euros a night (AARP - senior discount - rate). Four hundred forty euros savings in hotel costs a day will buy you some mightly fine meals in Paris. And those Heavenly Beds are really romantic . Anyway - I am still thinking about it. Robyn
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

robyng--How can we help you?
O2K
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:19 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by obscure2k
robyng--How can we help you?
O2K
No particular way - I hope I am not offending you by "thinking out loud" here. If so - just say the word and I'll stop. Robyn
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by robyng
No particular way - I hope I am not offending you by "thinking out loud" here. If so - just say the word and I'll stop. Robyn
No problem thinking out loud. I just know that there are good people who post on this Forum. So, If we can help you, please let us know. We are here to help.
O2K
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:43 am

Hospes Lancaster?

Since I will be staying in Paris for over a week during Fashion Week - I don't think any "free" upgrade is possible (my experiences with upgrades are limited to times when I have booked a short stay and the hotel isn't sold out).

No matter where I stay - I am booking a "red eye" arrival. That means that I will be paying for the night before even though I am arriving early in the morning (6 am). I am too old to arrive at 6 am and wait until the late afternoon to check into a room. There are times and places where you can arrive and get an early check-in - but I doubt this trip would be one of them (last year - we arrived in Berlin at 7 am the morning after a big soccer match - and if if we hadn't booked a "red eye" arrival - we wouldn't have been able to check in until about 5 pm. When I arrive in Europe in the early morning - I like to shower - get about 4-5 hours sleep - and then start my vacation.

Since I am not a Russian oil billionaire - I get to a "choke point" in terms of room prices. I can afford to pay 1000 euros a night - but really am not comfortable doing so. Perhaps I am too practical - but I ask myself what other things could I do with that money (which would include a lot of high end meals in Paris - I think the restaurants in Paris are the main attraction - the hotels are kind of a side show). FWIW - the best alternative that I have available to me now is a junior suite larger than the luxury rooms I have booked at the Westin - 420 euros a night (AARP - senior discount - rate). Four hundred forty euros savings in hotel costs a day will buy you some mightly fine meals in Paris. And those Heavenly Beds are really romantic . Anyway - I am still thinking about it. Robyn
OK, I know that Paris prices are outrageous these days, so how about the Hospes Lancaster in Rue de Berri? It is a beautiful small hotel with many spacious suites (get one overlooking the internal courtyard, as some have balconies and they are quieter). It also has an excellent Michel Troisgros restaurant, a very attractive courtyard garden and a large lounge to relax in.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:41 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
OK, I know that Paris prices are outrageous these days, so how about the Hospes Lancaster in Rue de Berri? It is a beautiful small hotel with many spacious suites (get one overlooking the internal courtyard, as some have balconies and they are quieter). It also has an excellent Michel Troisgros restaurant, a very attractive courtyard garden and a large lounge to relax in.
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked up the Lancaster - and the prices there are 490 euros for a room of 23 sm - 620 euros for 43 sm. I will be making a final decision this week - but my backup is the Westin - where I was able to book a 40-50 sm junior suite for 420 euros a night (back in March) - "senior discount rate". For those of you in the United States - it seemed to me that the hotel groups that offer AARP rates in the US - like Starwood and Hilton - also offer them in Paris - although perhaps on a capacity controlled basis. For those of you outside the US - AARP = American Association of Retired Persons - membership is available to anyone over 50 - whether or not you're retired - at a cost of $12.50/year. Think membership is open to people everywhere - since the membership website asks you to list your country (and just about every country in the world is on the list). There are many other "affinity discount groups" - but few that charge as little as $12.50 a year.

The hotels you can get through AARP usually aren't "luxury" properties - but sometimes it simply doesn't make sense to book a luxury property over a 4 star property. Like my husband said - what we can save on the hotel will pay for a couple of 2-3 star Michelin dinners (he's more interested in the food and wine in Paris than the room ). Note that those dinners can easily wind up costing more than $500/person.

Anyway - thanks for slogging through my "on line" "thinking out loud". And I am curious. Does anyone know why hotels in Paris are so expensive? I read an article in I think the Wall Street Journal this week about why hotels in Moscow are so expensive (too much demand - too little supply - although the recent dramatic fall in oil prices may change that). And another article why you may be able to get great bargains on luxury hotels in China soon (too much supply - too little demand - even during the Olympics) - but all I have read about Paris is that the dozen or so luxury properties in Paris have - in the past - been accused of price-fixing rooms. Even the FS in Paris isn't yet sold out for the week I'll be there - which is Fashion Week. Except for Saturday night - which is Nuit Blanche this year (and it didn't sell out Saturday until the Nuit Blanche date was announced). And it is now showing bed and breakfast availability (which I was told 5 months ago was not offered during Fashion week due to overwhelming demand for rooms). So if anyone has any insight/theories about this - I'd be interested in hearing them.

And for those of you from elsewhere - the Four Seasons in Palm Beach is now showing rates of $199/night through the end of October - and $239 on a stay 2 nights get one free deal until the week before Christmas. So come on down and play some golf in Florida . Robyn
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Westin

Robyn,

I have stayed at the Westin twice in the past 18 months. I will say that while it is not in the same class as the FS or the famed palace hotels, it is very nice and does have some strong selling points. For starters, the location is great and very convenient to pretty much everywhere, especially now when it is walking weather. However, for me, the thing I liked most about it is that it is not your typical corporate Westin. In fact, except for the hotel constantly trying to get me to use my SPG points for random things, you would never really feel like you were staying at a Westin. The one thing I would point out, is that the hotel has many different configured rooms within the same class. To that extent, if you are dissatisfied with your room, ask to see others in your catgeory, as they will probably be quite different from the one you were given initially.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:54 pm
In memoriam

uclabruin82 - Thanks for the feedback. I haven't stayed at any Westin for quite a while - since the chain became non-smoking in North America. However I practically lived in one in south Florida during the last few months of my mother's life - and it was fine. I thought the Heavenly Beds were great - and the rooms were very comfortable.

I think your observation about rooms in all shapes and forms applies to many older hotels - from the lowest class to the highest. I know that was the case in both the Prince de Galles and the George V - last 2 hotels where I stayed in Paris (albeit many many years ago). I just hope I am sufficiently "non-foggy" to remember what you say when we arrive in Paris at 6 am!

The thing I hate most in some older hotels is bathrooms with only hand-held showers (and I have found bathrooms like that even in luxury properties). I am a total disaster with a hand-held shower.

Quite frankly - I like newer hotels where rooms are usually pretty standardized - and - when you pay a certain price - you know what you are getting in advance. Robyn
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked up the Lancaster - and the prices there are 490 euros for a room of 23 sm - 620 euros for 43 sm. I will be making a final decision this week - but my backup is the Westin - where I was able to book a 40-50 sm junior suite for 420 euros a night (back in March) - "senior discount rate". For those of you in the United States - it seemed to me that the hotel groups that offer AARP rates in the US - like Starwood and Hilton - also offer them in Paris - although perhaps on a capacity controlled basis. For those of you outside the US - AARP = American Association of Retired Persons - membership is available to anyone over 50 - whether or not you're retired - at a cost of $12.50/year. Think membership is open to people everywhere - since the membership website asks you to list your country (and just about every country in the world is on the list). There are many other "affinity discount groups" - but few that charge as little as $12.50 a year.

The hotels you can get through AARP usually aren't "luxury" properties - but sometimes it simply doesn't make sense to book a luxury property over a 4 star property. Like my husband said - what we can save on the hotel will pay for a couple of 2-3 star Michelin dinners (he's more interested in the food and wine in Paris than the room ). Note that those dinners can easily wind up costing more than $500/person.

Anyway - thanks for slogging through my "on line" "thinking out loud". And I am curious. Does anyone know why hotels in Paris are so expensive? I read an article in I think the Wall Street Journal this week about why hotels in Moscow are so expensive (too much demand - too little supply - although the recent dramatic fall in oil prices may change that). And another article why you may be able to get great bargains on luxury hotels in China soon (too much supply - too little demand - even during the Olympics) - but all I have read about Paris is that the dozen or so luxury properties in Paris have - in the past - been accused of price-fixing rooms. Even the FS in Paris isn't yet sold out for the week I'll be there - which is Fashion Week. Except for Saturday night - which is Nuit Blanche this year (and it didn't sell out Saturday until the Nuit Blanche date was announced). And it is now showing bed and breakfast availability (which I was told 5 months ago was not offered during Fashion week due to overwhelming demand for rooms). So if anyone has any insight/theories about this - I'd be interested in hearing them.

And for those of you from elsewhere - the Four Seasons in Palm Beach is now showing rates of $199/night through the end of October - and $239 on a stay 2 nights get one free deal until the week before Christmas. So come on down and play some golf in Florida . Robyn

I can certainly appreciate looking for a nice place and save a few Euros as we are also heading to Paris this fall (thank you DavidO). Initially I had booked a discount room at the Westin, which looks lovely and is in a fantastic location. Some of the tripadvisor reports scared me away with the recurring discussion of mice in the rooms. In the more moderate range, I had a very good experience at the Marriott Champ Elyesses and I think that Intercontinental can offer a very good value when booked through a Virtuoso agent like DavidO or others. Good luck
Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
As I was reading UCLABruin's report on the Westin, I was thinking - The Mice!!! Glad someone mentioned it here. There has been so much talk about mice at the Westin that some of it must be true.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by mktozd
and I think that Intercontinental can offer a very good value when booked through a Virtuoso agent like DavidO or others
... or when booked using a 'free weekend night' voucher that comes with the Ambassador welcome pack!

Was at the IC again on Wednesday and, for the money (albeit that I'm a Royal Ambassador and get a good upgrade, free mini-bar and free club access) it can't be beat.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
... or when booked using a 'free weekend night' voucher that comes with the Ambassador welcome pack!

Was at the IC again on Wednesday and, for the money (albeit that I'm a Royal Ambassador and get a good upgrade, free mini-bar and free club access) it can't be beat.
From everything I hear, the IC Club access cant be beat and is included with a Virtuoso booking. I love the free weekend night angle

As for the reports mice at the Westin Paris, I searched through treads new and old and found it come up over and over again. Indeed, the management even responded to a few of these posts saying that they are working on it. For me, it was enough to get us to give up the fantastic promotion as I didnt want to be awaken by a frightened Mrs. mktozd.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 6:44 pm
In memoriam

Re mice and the Westin - with all the construction that was going on - I'm not surprised. I would be surprised if the property continued to have problems now that the construction is almost over (think it will finally be finished in September). Robyn
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:16 pm

Great thread. Would I crazy to say that Paris may be the best market in the world for luxury hotels? The elegance and glamour of a lot of the hotels fit Paris very nicely.

Just wait until the Mandarin Oriental (2011), Shangri-La (late 2009) and The Peninsula Hotel (2012) open. I'll be interested in the dining options and the decor of all three.

Last edited by Shangri-La; Dec 19, 2008 at 9:29 pm
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:53 pm

I hear you on the choke point, especially with hotels in Paris. I have stayed at the Westin Paris when it was an Intercontinental and loved the location and the design. It looks like Westin has done a nice job with the overhall, though I have read a few reports of mice in the rooms on tripadvisor (perhaps this has been addressed by now). One other hotel I really liked that may be a better value is the Marriott Champs Elysees, the rooms are lovely and the service is very solid. Just my two euro cents. Have a great trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.