Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 11:29 pm
Original Member

I am staying five nights each at Le Bristol and Saint James in Paris next month. Interested in reading of the experiences of others at these hotels.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by KatW
I am staying five nights each at Le Bristol and Saint James in Paris next month. Interested in reading of the experiences of others at these hotels.
Le Bristol main restaurant called Epicure is fantastic, but to me the hotel side (hard product) is showing its age and I would prefer the Mandarin Oriental over the Bristol (almost same location).
Old May 13, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
To me Bristol and Mo are not the same location. MO is closer to the Ritz the Bristol. They're not far apart but also not the same. jmo.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
To me Bristol and Mo are not the same location. MO is closer to the Ritz the Bristol. They're not far apart but also not the same. jmo.
This is why I said 'almost'
They are both in the 'rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré' but indeed it's a 10-minute walk between the two hotels. Actually I think that MO location is even better.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I stayed at the Saint James last November and was very unimpressed. It is the sort of place that gets a high ranking on tripadvisor from people who have clearly never stayed at a luxury hotel and report that it is "THE NICEST HOTEL WE EXPERIENCED ON OUR THREE WEEK TRIP THROUGH EUROPE" or some such hyperbole.

The exterior of the building, a former school, is very attractive. But the interior has been cheaply done, with poor paint jobs, poor lighting, and very tacky eclecticism. It felt like a gaudy boudoir to me, with carpets that didn't seem clean, a closet that stank of stale paint, a mattress that sagged, and 3-star bedding (an unsanitary blanket with a sheet above and below).

The service was equally deplorable. My girlfriend and I arrived separately, and in each case had to drag our luggage across the cobblestoned courtyard and up the steep flight of steps to the front door while the doorman simply stood there and watched.

It's just such a tacky, disheveled place.

I haven't stayed at Le Bristol. My two favorites in Paris are the Mandarin Oriental for a modern hotel or for traditional Parisian decor, the Shangri La with its out-of-this-world views of the Eiffel Tower and the amazing food and public rooms and sublimely relaxing and large pool.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pen >

"Suites Available Exclusively By Phone" - did it say that initially?
it did say "Additional room and suite categories...will be introduced"

two new sets of rates >
795 945 1195 1495 - nov 8, dec 22
895 1045 1295 1595 - sep 1
calendar is incorrect - sep 7 8 14 16

795 - looks good for all of nov and dec (so calendar incorrect)
895 - also sep 2 (but not sep 3)

if seasons like FS (and others) >
may - jul increase (may be good to book at 1095 now?)
jan - apr decrease

might be taking reservations through jun 13?
(sometimes incorrect) rate calendar (not where you enter dates) only shows through may 14

cancelation is 6pm the day before arrival

http://www.hshgroup.com/en/~/media/F...2013_Full.ashx

Peninsula Paris has encountered a number of challenges during its construction, resulting in overall delays and cost increases. A considerable amount of time was spent in the first half of 2013 in negotiations with the lead contractor and sub-contractors to mitigate the cost overruns…expected to have its soft opening in 2014.

Our vintage fleet of Rolls-Royce includes three 1934 Phantom II Sedanca de Villes located in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo, and a fourth to be commissioned after the opening of The Peninsula Paris. Each one is restored to its former glory with modern, bespoke additions, such as discreet air conditioning, a fridge, a cocktail cabinet and IDD telephone.
first time i recall seeing "soft opening" - also sounds like vintage RR for paris

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 17, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old May 14, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I agree the MO location is better than Bristol.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Just stayed at Le Bristol. Good things and not so good things, but overall the concierge is excellent, Epicure is one of the best restaurants I have been to in Paris, and if you get the Premier Deluxe or better - very spacious with high ceilings, large bath with separate shower and bath, and 2 sinks. Old world French decor, but I liked. I did have some problems with the service on check in as a lot of people arrived at once. After this problem the service was very good - housekeeping and concierge excellent. I also really like the location, but that is a matter of preference on where you want to be. We checked at the public areas of the MO but did not see a room. I assume much more modern, whereas the Bristol has many modern amenities, but old world elegance. Downside was slow Internet.

Old May 14, 2014, 10:47 pm
Original Member

Heh. It will be our first time in Paris so maybe the Saint James is just right for us.
Old May 17, 2014, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
luxury hotels in Paris

Excellent reviews! I agree that the Shangri-La is a fantastic hotel. Paris is the only city I can think if where I prefer the SL to the MO. The Bristol is indeed showing its age and the last time I was there about a month ago I had to negotiate a lot of plywood hoarding. I also prefer the Prince des Galles to the GV.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Member

Such disdain, Groombridge, for the Saint James and hoi polloi of Tripadvisor. Undercuts your post.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Excellent reviews! I agree that the Shangri-La is a fantastic hotel. Paris is the only city I can think if where I prefer the SL to the MO. The Bristol is indeed showing its age and the last time I was there about a month ago I had to negotiate a lot of plywood hoarding. I also prefer the Prince des Galles to the GV.
Interesting.

In Paris I find it difficult to consider a hotel other than the GV as it is so very good
Old May 19, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Interesting.

In Paris I find it difficult to consider a hotel other than the GV as it is so very good
+1

Even when I try to branch out, I can't do it... Those Jeff Leatham floral designs in the lobby and the wonderful spa pull me in each time.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
When you talk about the spa, are you referring to treatments or do they have access to the spa for all guests? I don't love the PH overall, but we end up doing so much walking in Paris that I love being able to use the jacuzzi and steam room at the end of th day as a way to relax before dinner
Old May 22, 2014, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
luxury hotels in Paris

Try the SL. The rooms are superb. Also, the new Crillon will be stunning. A friend of mine is a senior Rosewood exec and I've seen designs and layouts...it's great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.