FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Is this a good deal for Munich? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/762949-good-deal-munich.html)

delmargal Nov 30, 2007 5:47 pm

Is this a good deal for Munich?

I've been trying to decide on a hotel in Munich. We'll be there two nights in January.

We're between the new Rocco Forte or Bayerischer Hof. My boyfriend has a connection at the Bayerischer Hof so we've been offered a deluxe room with champagne breakfast for 228euros a night (usually 630USD)

I've read really mixed reviews about the Bayerischer so since we would have to pay still I'm not sure if we should book somewhere else like the Rocco in their smaller rooms. Some people claim it's luxury while others do not. To compare we like the Bristol in Vienna, the Do&Co in Vienna, Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo.

We won't be in the room too often so I don't care too much, but I don't want to stay at what's equivalent to the Hilton standard rooms. It has to have internet connection (or my bf will kill me) and I'd prefer it to be in the same location as the Rocco and Bayerischer.

DavidO Nov 30, 2007 6:40 pm

This would be the "Munich Weekend" package at 228 EUR per night, including taxes and surcharges, and including daily champagne buffer breakfast. It is actually available to anyone.

Rocce Forte "The Charles Hotel" has a 240 EUR rate including taxes and surcharges.

delmargal Nov 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Does the Munich weekend include a "double deluxe" room or just the standard?

The lady we know is on vacation so we received a response from some guy we don't' know. Just trying to figure out if this guy gave us a good offer or if we should wait until she gets back, or just book somewhere else.

DavidO Nov 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Here's the description of the rate...

39 PKG MUNICH WEEKEND 228.00 EUR PX4ZZZZ

APPROX. TOTAL PRICE 456.00 EUR
INCLUDES TAXES AND SURCHARGES EXCLUDES INCIDENTALS
SUPERIOR DOUBLE ROOM/KING SIZE BED
VARIOUS STYLES AND VIEWS
228.00 PER NIGHT STARTING 12JAN08 FOR 02 NIGHTS
456.00 TOTAL FOR 2 NIGHTS
2 NIGHTS INCLUDING DAILY CHAMPAGNE BUFFET BREAKFAST. FREE ‡
MD«
ENTRANCE TO THE ‡
BLUE SPA WITH POOL/SAUNA/STEAM BATH/FITNESS STUDIO AND TO THE
NIGHT CLUB
WITH JAZZ MUSIC AND LIVE ENTERTAINMENT. INCLUDING SERVICE CHARG
AND
TAX.

Kagehitokiri Dec 1, 2007 7:02 am

id think most people here would be choosing between MO and Rocco Forte

stimpy Dec 1, 2007 7:25 am

Yep, the MO is where I stay in MUC.

delmargal Dec 1, 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 8819262)
Yep, the MO is where I stay in MUC.

Yeah I looked at the MO too, but their availability is low. We'd get an upgrade through Amex FHR, but I haven't called to see if Amex has spots reserved.

My boyfriend's dad is a GM at a leading hotel here in the US though so he thought we might be able to get a deal at a leading (since the GMs always swap nights at properties). I emailed Rocco and I guess we'll wait back to hear from someone at the Bayerischer.

From what I've read and seen online I have little interest in staying at the Bayerischer, but if it's free or highly discounted then we'll stay there.

Ross0 Dec 1, 2007 4:33 pm

FWIW-I stayed at the MO last month and loved it. It was a great property.

gitsumjunkmail Dec 2, 2007 10:47 pm

Seems like a pretty good price for what you're getting. As mentioned, not really a private deal, but still a nice value.

delmargal Dec 3, 2007 1:04 am

Originally Posted by gitsumjunkmail (Post 8827307)
Seems like a pretty good price for what you're getting. As mentioned, not really a private deal, but still a nice value.

Right. The guy said an upgraded room so I'm guessing it's one up from the double mentioned on the website. Still hesitant considering what I've read about the rooms.

Nachria Dec 3, 2007 9:14 am

Originally Posted by delmargal (Post 8827627)
Right. The guy said an upgraded room so I'm guessing it's one up from the double mentioned on the website. Still hesitant considering what I've read about the rooms.

I stayed at the Bayerischer Hof about five years ago. I found the rooms to be decent. I would not say they are the best rooms I ever stayed in. I remember that the room was tastefully decorated. The service was okay. I would say that the service is similar to that of a luxury hotel managed by a European hotel company, and not similar to the service of a luxury hotel managed by an international hotel group. In other words, the service is not at a level of a FS or MO.

RivieraTraveler Dec 3, 2007 1:19 pm

I've heard the question mark placed with Rocco Forte Collection before, mostly from people a little unfamiliar with the name. If these were the two options, I would immediately head for The Charles. RFC has some excellent, and unique properties. Le Richemond in Geneva, Amigo in Brussels, Brown's in London - great hotels, individual properties, with history, but modern, clean design.

Have not stayed at Bayerischer Hof, but tired is what I hear most when people describe it to me.

elsie Dec 3, 2007 2:13 pm

I think the best thing about the BHof is the roof top bar, but it's winter so you can't enjoy sitting outside.
228 is a good rate, but the hotel isn't worth more than that in my opinion. I think the MO is the best in town :-:, but try the Rocco..it's brand spanking new......^

The Sofitel Dorint is good but the area is not very picturesque..... :(
(unless you're a trainspotter)

best Dec 3, 2007 2:24 pm

BH--outside of the roof top bar--is not worth anything more than most hotels in Munschen.

RichardInSF Dec 3, 2007 6:40 pm

Bayerischer Hof is a convention hotel, I'd rank it right up there with a Holiday Inn Select.

Some of Rocco's hotels are their Forte, some are not, never stayed at this one, but despite a less-than-perfect last stay at the MO, it would still be my preferred Munich choice EVERY time.