Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:56 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by clubeurope
my statement or Island Shangri-La?

I haven't yet stayed at the newer hotels like The Rosewood or The Murray, but I would make it clear that in my opinion, the best hotels in Hong Kong are the classic luxury hotels of HK. By this I would regard the original Mandarin on Connaught Road, as well as the Four Seasons at IFC.

As subjective as this is, Upper House isn't really my type of hotel, so I don't quite like it, and The Peninsula is on the wrong side of the harbour (full of afternoon-tea goers and tourists as well if I may add, really ruins the mood). I would go to Landmark Mandarin for Amber, but would stay at original Mandarin as Landmark just seems over pretentious, and the rooms have a very nouveau-riche vibe (don't mean it in a bad way, but it just feels so flashy).

I don't quite like the vibe in TST so, I wouldn't regard anything on Kowloon to be "the best" in HK.
Currently at The Four Seasons in Hong Kong.
The hotel needs a bit of a refresh - everything is actually in great condition, really well maintained for the most part, but it just feels like now would be a good time to do it with all the other hotels recently opening/about to open etc. The rooms are pretty standard/nice luxury hotel built in late 90s/early 2000s set in Asia, but a good size. View is good.
Service has been fantastic. Love the in-app concierge, and the concierge actually knows how to assist (I'm looking at you Murray...)

Having said that, I'm not sure how Four Seasons counts as one of Hong Kong's 'classic' luxury hotels? It opened mid 2000s.

Also, Mandarin Oriental is also full of day trippers/afternon tea goers (Clipper Lounge).
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:48 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
The hotel needs a bit of a refresh - everything is actually in great condition, really well maintained for the most part, but it just feels like now would be a good time to do it with all the other hotels recently opening/about to open etc. The rooms are pretty standard/nice luxury hotel built in late 90s/early 2000s set in Asia, but a good size. View is good.
Service has been fantastic. Love the in-app concierge, and the concierge actually knows how to assist (I'm looking at you Murray...)

Having said that, I'm not sure how Four Seasons counts as one of Hong Kong's 'classic' luxury hotels? It opened mid 2000s.

Also, Mandarin Oriental is also full of day trippers/afternon tea goers (Clipper Lounge).
Classic not as in 'old' but, rather, the place to go/to stay. Hardly any hotels (or many buildings for that matter) in Hong Kong stretches over 50 years these days, apart from The Mandarin and The Peninsula (and technically the 1881 in TST, though that only became a hotel later after).

I honestly still like the decor at the FS, and wouldn't consider it to be shabby at all. The rooms at Island Shangri-La on the other hand... (and many Shangri-Las for that matter) needs some refurbishment.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by chinmoylad

I was at FS last week with the family and I completely agree that a refresh is needed, just to keep pace with the quality of the new openings. However, its still probably my preferred choice when travelling with my sons (MOHK is my hands down favourite when on my own), because of the pools. Its pretty hard to beat that terrace on a nice afternoon!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:03 am

From the Star Ferry today I was a looking at the new St Regis and its location. I noticed that there are two big tall ugly buildings right in between the St Regis and the harbour. With those in the way the hotel is only going to have quite limited number of 'full harbour view' rooms (although with only 129 rooms / suites maybe they are mostly indeed on the high floors). For such a prominent flagship property for the brand I am a little surprised they didn't choose a site with more unobstructed views (notwithstanding the incredible difficultly and cost of finding such a site in HK!) Still, the interiors look incredible and it is surely be a great addition to the HK hotel scene.

By contrast, with the Rosewood perched where it is in TST its views will be absolutely incredible and completely unobstructed from every floor.

Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ajca
From the Star Ferry today I was a looking at the new St Regis and its location. I noticed that there are two big tall ugly buildings right in between the St Regis and the harbour. With those in the way the hotel is only going to have quite limited number of 'full harbour view' rooms (although with only 129 rooms / suites maybe they are mostly indeed on the high floors). For such a prominent flagship property for the brand I am a little surprised they didn't choose a site with more unobstructed views (notwithstanding the incredible difficultly and cost of finding such a site in HK!) Still, the interiors look incredible and it is surely be a great addition to the HK hotel scene.

By contrast, with the Rosewood perched where it is in TST its views will be absolutely incredible and completely unobstructed from every floor.

I think no expense was spared and every little factor considered for the Rosewood.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think no expense was spared and every little factor considered for the Rosewood.
Indeed. Rosewood CEO Sonia Cheng's grandfather Cheng Yu-tung bought the land that it is built on in 1971. So they have had some time to think about what to do with it (and were in a unique position to build there!)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
My friend in Hong Kong can get me his corporate rate for the Four Seasons at about $315 per night. I think that makes it a no-brainer to stay there. Was also offered the Ritz, Peninsula and MO (not landmark) as options for the same price. I currently have the Rosewood booked at $650 a night, but I will probably cancel to snag this deal.

Any thoughts of which is most ideal for a single man who likes to drink? I love a good hotel bar.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
My friend in Hong Kong can get me his corporate rate for the Four Seasons at about $315 per night. I think that makes it a no-brainer to stay there. Was also offered the Ritz, Peninsula and MO (not landmark) as options for the same price. I currently have the Rosewood booked at $650 a night, but I will probably cancel to snag this deal.

Any thoughts of which is most ideal for a single man who likes to drink? I love a good hotel bar.
The Ritz bar is probably the highest in the world.
Jerkstore likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:18 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

and the views from there

amazing
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
and the views from there

amazing
Their specialty drink is absurdly over the top but amazingly tasty. I had two at $70+ each lol.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA

Stay at the Ritz, especially if you have Marriott status. You routinely get handed Ozone bar drink vouchers at check in (7 free drinks was the record last time I checked in back in Feb), and much easier to get a seat during weekend nights through Ritz concierge.
Jerkstore likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
FS Hong Kong

Its hard to beat the hard product or incredibly high service standards of the Four Seasons, especially with their rooftop pool, spacious and private spa, and three star restaurants. It was also a great location for us. So easy to get to the sights and return to the oasis of the hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:38 pm

Lobster Bar at ISL, Asia’s Top 50 bars, hands down if you’re a cocktail drinker. They also have a local craft beer brewed exclusively for ISL called “Island Ale” by Young Master - it is my go to when I feel like a pint more than a cocktail. It is the only reason I still visit ISL.

Blue Bar at FS also gets my honorable mention cocktail-wise.
Jerkstore likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Looking forward to the Rosewood. My concierge got me a guaranteed upgrade to the harbour view suite, a long with a bunch of other amenities.

One thing that annoyed me about the LMO was that I couldnt use my spa credit on mani/pedi. Reeks of nickel and diming, and basically forcing me to spend another $100 in order to use the credit, which makes the credit effectively useless.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:39 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Central90210
Lobster Bar at ISL, Asias Top 50 bars, hands down if youre a cocktail drinker. They also have a local craft beer brewed exclusively for ISL called Island Ale by Young Master - it is my go to when I feel like a pint more than a cocktail. It is the only reason I still visit ISL.
Blue Bar at FS also gets my honorable mention cocktail-wise.
I really like the bar atop the Sheraton too.

It helps when you own the land, AND the hotel brand...

Originally Posted by ajca

Only the corner rooms have harbour views, and even then only really on one side (the western side), and even those are a small sliver to be honest. The eastern side does have some harbour views in the loosest sense of the word (there is some water visible), but most of the views are the brown residential buildings on the left in your pic, and the sports stadiumf/acilities that's just under it. It's a 'unique' view for sure (very Hong Kong) but not one tourists generally want to see.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.