best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Also. Marcel is one of the most accommodating and caring GMs in the world.
From everything I've read, Marcel is a better 'Aman' GM (while not even being with Aman) than a handful of actual Aman GMs. Better service at TUH than Aman Tokyo, I hear.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
From everything I've read, Marcel is a better 'Aman' GM (while not even being with Aman) than a handful of actual Aman GMs. Better service at TUH than Aman Tokyo, I hear.
Certainly can't disagree with that sentiment.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Have a number of stays coming up in HKG. Is the Rosewood establishing itself as the top dog? I've stayed at the Pen many times, trying out the Ritz soon. Usually I just stay at The Pottinger to be central in central, but I would be up for experimenting with location for a truly great hotel.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Have a number of stays coming up in HKG. Is the Rosewood establishing itself as the top dog? I've stayed at the Pen many times, trying out the Ritz soon. Usually I just stay at The Pottinger to be central in central, but I would be up for experimenting with location for a truly great hotel.
Rosewood looks like a great hotel but the location isn't the best IMO. Too far from MTR and I know some (including myself) would prefer staying on Hong Kong Island.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave510
Rosewood looks like a great hotel but the location isn't the best IMO. Too far from MTR and I know some (including myself) would prefer staying on Hong Kong Island.
Ah! Didn't see it was in TST! Thought it was on HKG side. So, what would you say to check out on the HKG side? Upper House or the Landmark MO?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Ah! Didn't see it was in TST! Thought it was on HKG side. So, what would you say to check out on the HKG side? Upper House or the Landmark MO?
I'm a fan of Upper House and Ritz Carlton (But RC's location is arguable just as subpar). Haven't stayed at the Landmark MO, but did stay at the historical one, and while service is great, I am not a fan of the hardware.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:04 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
LMO is a hotel I really liked, even though I'm not a fan of the design, and the views are terrible (so definitely something to take into consideration).
Food is really, really good, and the spa is one of the best I've seen in a city hotel. There's also a pool though it isn't much to write home about (but not always easy to find in Hong Kong as it is...Upper House doesn't have a spa or a pool, but will arrange in-room massages).

How do you like The Pottinger? I'm trying out a few more smaller/boutique hotels in Hong Kong this year, though probably not for this forum
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Landmark MO for me is still top in Hong Kong if you don’t need a view. The location is perfect.

That said, wait until May when Amber, along with a new Sushi Saito, sake bar and new casual dining restaurant all open. The casual restaurant will serve breakfast for hotel guests, the current MO Bar situation isn’t ideal. Renovations on level 7 and the spa will all be complete then too.

Went to an event at The Rosewood last week, the hotel, public spaces and bars were incredibly nice. Service was unbelievably good for a hotel that had only been open a week. I just couldn’t stay in TST though, no matter how good the hotel was. I’ll always stay in Central.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
LMO is a hotel I really liked, even though I'm not a fan of the design, and the views are terrible (so definitely something to take into consideration).
Food is really, really good, and the spa is one of the best I've seen in a city hotel. There's also a pool though it isn't much to write home about (but not always easy to find in Hong Kong as it is...Upper House doesn't have a spa or a pool, but will arrange in-room massages).

How do you like The Pottinger? I'm trying out a few more smaller/boutique hotels in Hong Kong this year, though probably not for this forum
The location of The Pottinger is great. It's across the street from Yat Lok (where I eat several times each trip), and right in the middle of central. The hotel has some drawbacks. They have no onsite gym, so they give you a pass to a gym about a 5-7 minute walk down Queens Road. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant is not very good. On the plus side, there's a pretty decent bar in the hotel, the location is super and the rooms are OK. The entry level room only has a shower, then next "class" up some of the rooms have bathtubs, so if I stay in that class and get a room with a bathtub, I am reasonably happy. However, once you get up to the suites, which aren't horrifically priced, it's a different ballgame. Spacious and well appointed. Stayed in the Connaught Suite on my last visit to the hotel and greatly enjoyed it. It's certainly not a luxury 5-star property, but it's comfortable and "good enough" for a reasonable price and in an unbeatable location. I used to always stay at the LKF Hotel on Wyndham before they closed. I would say they are similar properties, except: 1. LKF Hotel had a (small) gym. 2. Rooms at the LKF Hotel were much larger, 3. LKF Hotel was Cheaper, 4. Pottinger service is much more polished, 5. Hotel is in better shape than the old LKF Hotel was. (NOTE: I mean the now shuttered LKF Hotel, not the Hotel LKF U Kau Fong).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Have a number of stays coming up in HKG. Is the Rosewood establishing itself as the top dog?
No. Rosewood HK just joins a large list of top quality hotels. I've not stayed yet, but I haven't seen anything yet that would wrest my business from UH.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
No. Rosewood HK just joins a large list of top quality hotels. I've not stayed yet, but I haven't seen anything yet that would wrest my business from UH.
Could you elaborate on what makes UH your favorite? I see the Rosewood in on the Kowloon side, which again makes me hesitant to try it as I spend most of my time in Central. Curious about UH vs. MO. Thx!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Could you elaborate on what makes UH your favorite? I see the Rosewood in on the Kowloon side, which again makes me hesitant to try it as I spend most of my time in Central. Curious about UH vs. MO. Thx!
I've had multiple stays at FS, Pen and UH. No MO or LMO. Pen is quite good, but not so good that I wouldn't consider the other options. UH got my business from FS when FS gave me grief over a short stay on the way to India. I was arriving early (~9am) and needed a late checkout the next day. FS claimed that this was 3 full days, something I consider absurd for a 30-hour stay. I whittled that down to 1.5 days and never returned to the FS.

On Upper House -- It's hard to verbalize and some of it is intangible. It is just good and so good that I no longer consider other 5* options in a city positively overflowing with top quality 5* hotels. They act like they want my business. Room upgrades were, in several instances, multiple classes. Even the lowest class of room is spacious and very comfortable. Views are terrific. Mini bar is free and full of stuff that is actually good. I've never gotten a 'No' on early check-in/late checkout. The bathrooms are bigger than most hotel rooms. Food could be improved, but the beverage is quite good. UH doesn't have that lobby riffraff that hurts the Pen. Also, I prefer HK to Kowloon. My primary activity in HK is climbing to the top of Victoria Peak, and that is much easier from the island.

I do think the views are better from Kowloon. So for the first time to HK, I recommend staying at IC, RW, or Pen.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I've had multiple stays at FS, Pen and UH. No MO or LMO. Pen is quite good, but not so good that I wouldn't consider the other options. UH got my business from FS when FS gave me grief over a short stay on the way to India. I was arriving early (~9am) and needed a late checkout the next day. FS claimed that this was 3 full days, something I consider absurd for a 30-hour stay. I whittled that down to 1.5 days and never returned to the FS.

On Upper House -- It's hard to verbalize and some of it is intangible. It is just good and so good that I no longer consider other 5* options in a city positively overflowing with top quality 5* hotels. They act like they want my business. Room upgrades were, in several instances, multiple classes. Even the lowest class of room is spacious and very comfortable. Views are terrific. Mini bar is free and full of stuff that is actually good. I've never gotten a 'No' on early check-in/late checkout. The bathrooms are bigger than most hotel rooms. Food could be improved, but the beverage is quite good. UH doesn't have that lobby riffraff that hurts the Pen. Also, I prefer HK to Kowloon. My primary activity in HK is climbing to the top of Victoria Peak, and that is much easier from the island.

I do think the views are better from Kowloon. So for the first time to HK, I recommend staying at IC, RW, or Pen.
Have stayed at the Pen multiple times as mentioned. I am in HKG several times/year and spend most of my time in central. IIRC, the UH is basically right next to the JW Marriott, have stayed there several times as well, so the location sounds good. I will look into the rooms, looks like it might be a good option to check out. Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

MO is a much different beast to UH. Almost no special views to speak of and service can be standoffish. I dislike the breakfast buffet that seems so removed from the classic luxury of rhe rest of the hotel. It is a HK landmark hotel with wonderful F&B outlets and spa but UH aligns more with my relative age and preferences.

Marcel treats guests like friends and family but at MOHK you're just another paying guest.

Last edited by Aventine; Apr 2, 2019 at 10:07 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I am curious if UH have solved the creaking floor problem in their rooms? And the low water pressure? Reasons I stayed once and have not returned since. Recently went to Cafe Gray with my friends for a get together and was less than impressed with the service and ambience.

The good thing about luxury hotels in Hong Kong is there are so many choices, everyone can find one or two property that they like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.