Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by damon88
Thanks for the replies

Fortunately, both reservations have lenient cancellation policies so I will be able to keep both and have time to make an informed decision. It will be interesting to read reviews of the St Regis. At this point I am leaning that way.
Go Ritz-Carlton instead. Great dining, great views, great pool, great rooms, and the MTR is underneath the building (although it's a short walk in the mall underneath the building). If you really want to try the StR, split the stay between them, but personally I love the RC!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:33 am

Initially, I booked 7 nights at the Grand Hyatt HK using the 9000/night Premium Suite Upgrade for a 700 SF Grand Executive Harbour Suite
If you do go for GH in the end, consider saving 21000 points over 7 nights by upgrading to the Grand Suite (standard suite) as opposed to the Grand Executive Suite (premium suite). Both suites are exactly the same, with the only differentiation being the Grand Executive Suite is on a higher floor than the Grand Suite - just request for a Grand Suite on a higher floor. Premium suite upgrade at GHHK is imo not of great value.

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Apart from the really high ceilings in common areas, it has the look and feel of a nice but standard luxury hotel - it might as well be the St Regis Zhuhai or St Regis Guangzhou (not that the latter exists, but you can imagine) or St Regis [Insert Random City Here].
Exactly my thoughts after seeing the photos online. I actually thought it could’ve been any other new build SR in mainland China. Can’t believe this is Andre Fu’s work. At least the Rosewood HK doesn’t look like any other hotel.

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
The Grand Hyatt is really not in a great location, it's far worse than the St Regis
Just curious, why do you consider this when GH and Ren are just 3-5 minutes on foot away from SR.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Central90210

If you do go for GH in the end, consider saving 21000 points over 7 nights by upgrading to the Grand Suite (standard suite) as opposed to the Grand Executive Suite (premium suite). Both suites are exactly the same, with the only differentiation being the Grand Executive Suite is on a higher floor than the Grand Suite - just request for a Grand Suite on a higher floor. Premium suite upgrade at GHHK is imo not of great value.

Just curious, why do you consider this when GH and Ren are just 3-5 minutes on foot away from SR.
I second this. The Grand Executive suite isn't anything special like the Diplomatic suite at PH Tokyo, etc. Save your points and take a Grand suite. You probably won't spend much time in there anyway.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:37 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all

I thought the difference was view?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:11 pm

Thanks all

I thought the difference was view?
Exact same view from the same location of each floor. Of course the higher you get, the better view you will have, and also the farther away from the MTR construction site on ground level.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly my thoughts after seeing the photos online. I actually thought it could’ve been any other new build SR in mainland China. Can’t believe this is Andre Fu’s work. At least the Rosewood HK doesn’t look like any other hotel.

I think the better suites at the GH are reached from that second lift that departs from the club entrance floor. They once tried putting me into a suite on a regular floor and I think it was a lot less nice then the suites above the club entrance. I think the lowest category of suite in that area is called a "Diplomatic Suite."

And Chinmoy -- I hope you know that you can exit the GH on the terrace level, one floor above the main entrance, and you'll find yourself right at the convention centre. It really is only a few minutes from the GH to the Immigration Tower.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:45 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
7 minutes walk actually

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

And Chinmoy -- I hope you know that you can exit the GH on the terrace level, one floor above the main entrance, and you'll find yourself right at the convention centre. It really is only a few minutes from the GH to the Immigration Tower.
Haha I know - the area around it just seems weird. The walk on the skybridge towards the Immigration Tower/Central Plaza and beyond always freaks me out - it feels weird. Technically it's closer to Wan Chai MTR than Upper House is to the edge of Central, but I always feel like the latter *feels* better than Grand Hyatt does as far as Wan Chai goes.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:15 am

Ritz-Carlton or Rosewood?

I am planning a 3-night stay in May. Getting RC Club deluxe Victoria harbour room for 6000 HKD/night and Rosewood Club Grand Harbour view for 4867 HKD/night. Our primary criteria are room luxury and service and food offerings in the club, location not as much. Please help me decide.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by sandeep.thilakan
I am planning a 3-night stay in May. Getting RC Club deluxe Victoria harbour room for 6000 HKD/night and Rosewood Club Grand Harbour view for 4867 HKD/night. Our primary criteria are room luxury and service and food offerings in the club, location not as much. Please help me decide.
The Ritz-Carlton rooms are decent enough but quite standard - Rosewood's are nicer.
The Ritz-Carlton does have an excellent club though, but Manor Club should be excellent too as per my visit though I didn't get to sample any F&B, but @BESVISOR did sample F&B I believe.

In short, Rosewood.
sandeep.thilakan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:23 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I just returned from staying in a Club Grand Harbour View at the Rosewood.
Views are stunning in the room and Manor Club (has an outdoor terrace). The food quality is high and service is very warm. My only call out is that if you're staying at Rosewood for an extended period, the breakfast in Manor Club could get a bit old as they don't seem to change much but again, quality is high. Afternoon tea had great snacks and in the evenings (5-8pm) the bartender makes great drinks. Evening dishes were great. I specifically remember the wontons. Delicious and had about 4 bowls (only 3 in each). Depending how you're booking, say through Virtuoso or Rosewood Elite, you can always go have breakfast a day or two in Holt's Cafe which I did and the quality is high and much more to choose from. But the space in Manor Club is very nice and private. Staff is great!

100% agree with @chinmoylad it's Rosewood! It's actually not even close for me. Rosewood by a mile over RC.
sandeep.thilakan likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Mar 28, 2019 at 9:41 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rosewood by a country mile. That new hotel is a stunner and without any of the major service failures we've seen with new hotels (so far).
BESVISOR and MicSanToro like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Rosewood by a country mile. That new hotel is a stunner and without any of the major service failures we've seen with new hotels (so far).
Wow! This Rosewood has been getting a whole lot of praise. As the biggest RCHK loyalist ever, I'm even sold on the Rosewood. I was going to try TUH next time I'm in HK, but would you recommend the Rosewood over TUH? I'll stay at both of them over my next two trips, but which is better? Hmm...
specboi likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 29, 2019 at 8:22 am Reason: replacing near obscenity
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Wow! This Rosewood has been getting a whole lot of praise. As the biggest RCHK loyalist ever, I'm even sold on the Rosewood. I was going to try TUH next time I'm in HK, but would you recommend the Rosewood over TUH? I'll stay at both of them over my next two trips, but which is better? Hmm...
Two sides of a coin - and while most people won't ever split their (4 night?) stay in Hong Kong, if you do multiple visits, it's definitely worth doing both at some point across trips.

For Rosewood, the view is unbeatable (having said that Upper House's view isn't bad) and you'll get a lot more amenities in the hotel (pool, club lounge, restaurants etc) plus the rooms are of course newer.
I personally prefer the design at Upper House which I really do love, and I prefer the calm arrival/entry rather than how busy Rosewood will be.
Upper House is limited though in F&B because apart from Cafe Gray, you do have to leave the building, even though the mall is just downstairs.

Having said that, you can often get the Upper Suite at The Upper House at an incredible rate (4th night free + upgrade).

Service, Rosewood is too new and I haven't tried it yet but BESVISOR was impressed. Service at UH is usually fantastic.

It's a slightly difference experience being in Tsim Sha Tsui vs Admiralty - but worth doing both at some point, even if just for the difference in views!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 29, 2019 at 8:22 am
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:50 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
To @chinmoylad 's point. TUH and Rosewood are very different in some aspects and while I'm sold on Rosewood, it's not for everyone. I also did mention on the Rosewood thread, I think, that it will need more time to see if the excellent service remains steady. I'll have some clients visiting throughout April, May and June so I should get a better sense of it by June. But I've never had any poor feedback on TUH. It's a great and proven property!

And if you love the RCHK, then you might not like the design/decor at Rosewood. Very different. Rosewood is more subtle luxury and refined.

Update: Outdoor infinity pool is now open!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Mar 29, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
To @chinmoylad 's point. TUH and Rosewood are very different in some aspects and while I'm sold on Rosewood, it's not for everyone. I also did mention on the Rosewood thread, I think, that it will need more time to see if the excellent service remains steady. I'll have some clients visiting throughout April, May and June so I should get a better sense of it by June. But I've never had any poor feedback on TUH. It's a great and proven property!

And if you love the RCHK, then you might not like the design/decor at Rosewood. Very different. Rosewood is more subtle luxury and refined.

Update: Outdoor infinity pool is now open!
Also. Marcel is one of the most accommodating and caring GMs in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.