Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Lambi
Kowloon has the views and a market or two, what else is there to do there (serious question)?
If this really is a serious question you must be a lot more blasé than me! I love the island too, but most of the real Hong Kong life is actually on the Kowloon side, and if you know your way around it or are there with locals, you can probably spend weeks, months or years out there without ever being bored...

PS: "A market or two"??!!!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
If this really is a serious question you must be a lot more blasé than me! I love the island too, but most of the real Hong Kong life is actually on the Kowloon side, and if you know your way around it or are there with locals, you can probably spend weeks, months or years out there without ever being bored...

PS: "A market or two"??!!!
It's possible Lambi has different interests than Kowloon offers. Every city is not for everyone
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by op487062
It's possible Lambi has different interests than Kowloon offers. Every city is not for everyone
That I completely agree with and understand. But I guess that there is a difference between saying that this is a part of town one has no taste for or interest in, and suggesting that there is nothing to do there!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
That I completely agree with and understand. But I guess that there is a difference between saying that this is a part of town one has no taste for or interest in, and suggesting that there is nothing to do there!
No it was a genuine question! I travel for food, leisure and doing some of the touristy stuff when I go to large cities. What does the Kowloon side have better (except for views) than the island side does? My itinerary as a first time tourist was basically 90% island side. Been several times again and I see myself living on the Kowloon side just to take the MTR to the Island side for everything
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Lambi
No it was a genuine question! I travel for food, leisure and doing some of the touristy stuff when I go to large cities. What does the Kowloon side have better (except for views) than the island side does? My itinerary as a first time tourist was basically 90% island side. Been several times again and I see myself living on the Kowloon side just to take the MTR to the Island side for everything
If you are into street food and regular Hong Kong specialties, I think that the Kowloon side has a lot, lot more (and better) to offer than the Island side though of course there is so much that it will help a lot if you know some locals who can send you to the right place. There are lots of markets on the Kowloon side selling everything, especially during the night. It is quite a unique atmosphere and to me at least a very exciting one. There are also a lot more opportunities to get "lost" if you want to. In effect, anything traditionally Hong Kongese (including the very best and hardest traditional massages) will be on the Kowloon side. Shopping wise, high end international brand shops are a lot better on the island side, but bargain shopping (including bargain quality shopping) will be a lot more on the Kowloon side, where the various districts of Kowloon will each have their specialties (electronics in Mongkok, etc). Same with art, Island side is better for Western art, but Kowloon side has a lot more to offer in terms of Chinese art, and intellectual scene. The Island side is great for the Peak which is a breath of fresh air in the city, and it is a lot "tidier" and user friendly - I'd say almost a bit "Singapore like" - but the Kowloon side is a lot more lively and lot more complex with layers, districts, and areas which can feel a lot more exotic (and sometimes intimidating) for us Westerners.

I don't remember how many times I've been to Hong Kong now, but quite a few times, and I'd say that progressively, largely thanks to my Hong Kongese colleagues and friends helping me discover it, my tropism has switched progressively from predominantly Island to very predominantly Kowloon visit after visit...
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:14 am

The Kawloon vs. Island side topic gets beaten to death on this forum. I do not find it a big deal at all. Central is a great location, but there are also many reasons to choose among the excellent Kowloon side hotels with their fantastic views. And, for me transportation is easy enough to make it a non issue.
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Looking forward to my upcoming stay at the Upper House over New Year's.
Has anyone watched the firewoks from Café Gray / Bar in the past?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The Kawloon vs. Island side topic gets beaten to death on this forum. I do not find it a big deal at all. Central is a great location, but there are also many reasons to choose among the excellent Kowloon side hotels with their fantastic views. And, for me transportation is easy enough to make it a non issue.
Well said. As I said previously, not sure why folks get so religious about this topic; stay where you want to stay.

Regards
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Looking forward to my upcoming stay at the Upper House over New Year's.
Has anyone watched the firewoks from Café Gray / Bar in the past?
never watched the firework in HK but there are only 5 to 10 tables with nice view of the harbor.
JohnRain likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
If you are into street food and regular Hong Kong specialties, I think that the Kowloon side has a lot, lot more (and better) to offer than the Island side though of course there is so much that it will help a lot if you know some locals who can send you to the right place. There are lots of markets on the Kowloon side selling everything, especially during the night. It is quite a unique atmosphere and to me at least a very exciting one. There are also a lot more opportunities to get "lost" if you want to. In effect, anything traditionally Hong Kongese (including the very best and hardest traditional massages) will be on the Kowloon side. Shopping wise, high end international brand shops are a lot better on the island side, but bargain shopping (including bargain quality shopping) will be a lot more on the Kowloon side, where the various districts of Kowloon will each have their specialties (electronics in Mongkok, etc). Same with art, Island side is better for Western art, but Kowloon side has a lot more to offer in terms of Chinese art, and intellectual scene. The Island side is great for the Peak which is a breath of fresh air in the city, and it is a lot "tidier" and user friendly - I'd say almost a bit "Singapore like" - but the Kowloon side is a lot more lively and lot more complex with layers, districts, and areas which can feel a lot more exotic (and sometimes intimidating) for us Westerners.

I don't remember how many times I've been to Hong Kong now, but quite a few times, and I'd say that progressively, largely thanks to my Hong Kongese colleagues and friends helping me discover it, my tropism has switched progressively from predominantly Island to very predominantly Kowloon visit after visit...
I may have to PM you and pick your brain once this trip gets closer. There seems to be so much to do its a bit overwhelming to plan.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I may have to PM you and pick your brain once this trip gets closer. There seems to be so much to do its a bit overwhelming to plan.
Well , for you 1readyset2go , best stay on HK & have a drink / afternoon tea from ‘ Regent ‘ to enjoy HK views
Lots to do indeed .. & possibly weather pending considering our circumstances ..

1readyset2go likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have never been to Hong Kong. For those who are familiar, if one was planning a trip for New Years 2019, is there a clear winner between the choice of the Ritz-Carlton in a Deluxe Club level room, or the Grand Hyatt in the Grand Suite? The Hyatt definitely has a wider view, but the vertical height is seemingly much lower. I don't believe the RC Deluxe room would be able to see the fireworks, but they should be visible from either the Club Lounge or the bar.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I have never been to Hong Kong. For those who are familiar, if one was planning a trip for New Years 2019, is there a clear winner between the choice of the Ritz-Carlton in a Deluxe Club level room, or the Grand Hyatt in the Grand Suite? The Hyatt definitely has a wider view, but the vertical height is seemingly much lower. I don't believe the RC Deluxe room would be able to see the fireworks, but they should be visible from either the Club Lounge or the bar.
Grand Hyatt has the better view if you don't get a Victoria harbour upgrade with RC (which you probably won't for NYE, RCHK should be fully booked at this point).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave510
Grand Hyatt has the better view if you don't get a Victoria harbour upgrade with RC (which you probably won't for NYE, RCHK should be fully booked at this point).
Sorry, by News Years 2019 I meant Dec 31, 2019, going into 2020. I would be quite a fool if I was trying to book a luxury hotel for tomorrow in HK right now.

Perhaps it would be worth it to split the reservation at the RC such that I move to a Grand Victoria Harbour room on the 31st.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Sorry, by News Years 2019 I meant Dec 31, 2019, going into 2020. I would be quite a fool if I was trying to book a luxury hotel for tomorrow in HK right now.

Perhaps it would be worth it to split the reservation at the RC such that I move to a Grand Victoria Harbour room on the 31st.
If that's doable for you then I think RC's view really is unique and worth seeking. Remember to request a Grand Victoria directly facing the island, as some are off center iirc, and mostly face the South China Sea.
nexusCFX likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.