best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I don't entirely disagree with you. We have no problem staying on the Kowloon side either and even if we stay on the island, often end up in Kowloon.

Admittedly, one good make the case that there is a better selection of luxury properties on the island though.

I never understand why people get so "religious" and dogmatic about things like this...
There's definitely a bias against Kowloon because of the more downmarket reputation/ambiance, more mainlanders, etc. The island definitely has more cachet which cannot be ignored if one were to live in HK. But for vacationing visitors to have a similar hangup is something I can't understand.

As for 5-star hotels, yeah the island has more. The island has Four Seasons, MO, Landmark, Shangrila, Conrad, JWM. Kowloon has Peninsula, IC, RC.
But Kowloon actually has a better selection of 4.5-star type places (Grand Stanford, ICON, Mira, Langham, W, Hyatt Regency, Shangrila) as opposed to the island.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
I've been to HKG over a dozen times, have mostly stayed in TST or Admiralty. If I were to live in HKG, sure I'd rather live on the island side. But as a vacationing person, I don't get this notion that Kowloon is the wrong side. In fact, I personally think a first-time visitor (like ak64) is better off staying in TST. The harbour view is HKG's top attraction, and it's so much more striking and classic from the Kowloon side. TST has its share of great restaurants. I've been staying in Admiralty in recent years (due to my loyalty program), but I always end up hanging out on Kowloon side each time.

Although I've never stayed at RC, the location is too isolated for me. IC is a fabulous hotel. I've been staying at Conrad recently only due to Hhonors benefits. But IC's rooms are at least on par with Conrad's, harbour views are much more impressive, breakfast is better, and the infinity jacuzzi is fabulous. Peninsula is just a mesmerizing experience. It's on a different level than IC, Shangrila, Conrad imho. But if IC with harbour view and club access is the same price as Pen without either, then I'd have to go with IC.
If you're a tourist seeing all the sites, you'll notice quickly that the vast majority of them are on the island side. If you're a foodie, most of the top restaurants are on the island side. If you're a shopaholic, the best stores are on the island side. Kowloon has the views and a market or two, what else is there to do there (serious question)?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Lambi
If you're a tourist seeing all the sites, you'll notice quickly that the vast majority of them are on the island side. If you're a foodie, most of the top restaurants are on the island side. If you're a shopaholic, the best stores are on the island side. Kowloon has the views and a market or two, what else is there to do there (serious question)?
To me, HKs biggest attraction is the harbour view. Kowloon wins there. Otherwise you’ve got the Peak, Star Ferry, markets, afternoon tea, Disney, Ocean Park, maybe Ngong Ping. Other than the Peak, what major tourist sights does being on the island give advantage to, esp for the first time visitor? For Star Ferry, you’re better off from a TST hotel unless you’re staying near IFC. For Ocean Park, island hotel is no better than TST unless you’re in Admiralty.

What do Landmark and Pacific Place have that Harbor City doesn’t have that’s of interest to most HK visitors? Kowloon’s got most of the markets.

You may be right that there is a bigger number of famed restaurants on HK side. But TST alone has more than plenty.

It’s really matter of opinion. In the beginning I liked Kowloon more. Now I like HK side a bit more, but specifically Admiralty (because I like HK Park and Bowen Rd) and would still prefer TST over CAuseway Bay or Wan Chai or even Central.

You’re talking about attractions, shopping, dining as the reasons for recommending the island. But I guarantee you that’s not why most people might refer to Kowloon as the wrong side. I think that sentiment is based on either popular bias or elitism. And so I just think one should not be shooting down Kowloon as a hotel base to someone who’ll be a first time visitor.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

note regent (1980-2001) kowloon fans. peninsula only renovated 'recently' and has tourists in lobby and some questionable views, RC appears to have raised service level quite dramatically - in other words not originally - although there may still be some mixed reviews and it is so high its often in clouds and some prefer other design style

entry level at Pen (pre renovation) and IC may not encourage repeat, less so at RC

some avoid hotels as old as Pen (some are 'younger' guests)

('older') regent fans let down by change, vs not having stayed
IC delayed start of renovations from 2019 to early 2020
IC apparently had adjacent construction at least in past

many longtime MO & FS brand regulars, like chain hotel regulars
FS service peaks were extremely high vs all / almost all others
some said best city hotel for LMO , UH (cant recall MO , FS)

RC, the location is too isolated for me
one thread >

Originally Posted by offerendum
Problem with the location
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
prefer to be in Central or Admiralty as a visitor. The RC is basically in the middle of nowhere to me - long walk through a shopping arcade from the MTR and those views disappear once the top of the building is in cloud or it's hazy as it is often is these days.
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Location (and the overdone decor) is the deal breaker at the RC for me. IMO there's virtually nothing there for a leisure visitor except ICC, and all those shops can be found...I'd love to see some stats on how many days per year that spectacular view is actually visible.
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
location is really not very convenient
I like the IC
I like the FS best as I find the lobby of the PEN normally to be very very crowded with non-house guests and I just like the FS better than the MO- also the pool at the FS is really great which is ideal for relaxing after a hot and sticky day out in HK.
rosewood kowloon >
Originally Posted by bearbrick
wow , can’t wait for this to open.
I am not partial to the location

In the beginning I liked Kowloon more. Now I like HK side a bit more, but specifically Admiralty
= UH (conrad, island SL, JW) which has had many regulars here since opening

how much does Pen charge for sedan vs $185 phantom ? (they have fleet)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 2, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:38 pm

Staying for a night at The Murray. Hard product is very much my style, but F&B and service is just amateur - not fit for purpose. Will not return.

Service
- Staff generally lack any polish, seem to prefer to mill around rather than engage guests
- Poor response to a discrepancy between TA and hotel re. $100 F&B credit
- Repeated calls (3+) to the room within ~2hrs during the day while sleeping
- Returned to the hotel, blanked by two porters and a staff member without a hint of greeting

Lunch at Guo Fu Lao
- Seated next to the main entrance and kitchen service door, despite arriving with only 1.5h of lunch service left and many tables available inside
- One manager had an unfortunate smell issue (strong smell of sweat/damp cloth whenever serving or passing nearby)
- Poor service generally - no polish, forgotten items, etc
- Price point very much up there with the best in HK ($1300 for two without alcohol), but price was the only thing in common

Breakfast
- Congee very bland, lacked flavour. Brought without any condiments
- Dim sum brought without chopsticks
- French toast more like a steamed eggy mess
- Really bad coffee
- Staff congregating and chatting loudly
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:06 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by stargold
Staying for a night at The Murray. Hard product is very much my style, but F&B and service is just amateur - not fit for purpose. Will not return.

Service
- Staff generally lack any polish, seem to prefer to mill around rather than engage guests
- Returned to the hotel, blanked by two porters and a staff member without a hint of greeting

Lunch at Guo Fu Lao
- Seated next to the main entrance and kitchen service door, despite arriving with only 1.5h of lunch service left and many tables available inside
- One manager had an unfortunate smell issue (strong smell of sweat/damp cloth whenever serving or passing nearby)
- Price point very much up there with the best in HK ($1300 for two without alcohol), but price was the only thing in common

Breakfast
- Really bad coffee
yep - Murray’s hard product is stunning but service really lets that place down.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Service

Lunch at Guo Fu Lao

Breakfast
- Really bad coffee
Thanks for taking one for the team! I hate BO and that probably would have been enough for me to checkout early along with everything else.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

Service

Lunch at Guo Fu Lao

Breakfast
- Really bad coffee
Sounds terrible. I think I will strike it off my list.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
note regent (1980-2001) kowloon fans. peninsula only renovated 'recently' and has tourists in lobby and some questionable views, RC appears to have raised service level quite dramatically - in other words not originally - although there may still be some mixed reviews and it is so high its often in clouds and some prefer other design style

entry level at Pen (pre renovation) and IC may not encourage repeat, less so at RC
RC service esp if one books club level is quite good. I love the view, a true panorama of the entire Hong Kong Skyline from Kowloon to Central and beyond. The decor to be honest is actually very gaudy but I have gotten use to it. I might be a bit biased because I love skyscraper hotels.

Here's another pic of the view

Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BENLEE
RC service esp if one books club level is quite good. I love the view, a true panorama of the entire Hong Kong Skyline from Kowloon to Central and beyond. The decor to be honest is actually very gaudy but I have gotten use to it. I might be a bit biased because I love skyscraper hotels.
There's also another big advantage and that is the transportation means. The MTR which is directly under the hotel, goes directly to and from the airport, AND you can check-in your bags directly at the MTR-station instead of having to go to the airport with luggage and wait for check-in / bagdrops. I like it if I'm not flying first class (my direct flights only have business), and I also like not having to plan for traffic when I'm leaving or arriving.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cant recall if some opined that FS was more accessible to transport vs RC

BENLEE did you stay at RC close to 2011? IIRC you said FS went downhill
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
There's also another big advantage and that is the transportation means. The MTR which is directly under the hotel, goes directly to and from the airport, AND you can check-in your bags directly at the MTR-station instead of having to go to the airport with luggage and wait for check-in / bagdrops. I like it if I'm not flying first class (my direct flights only have business), and I also like not having to plan for traffic when I'm leaving or arriving.
RC is great for short stays if using MTR to get to/from airport, but the long walk through the mall and the subway stations get tiring (metaphorically and literally) quite fast.

I really like the property, especially its service, but I really wouldn't consider transportation a strong suit for RC. (Also the taxi situation outside the hotel can sometimes get awkward)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
cant recall if some opined that FS was more accessible to transport vs RC

BENLEE did you stay at RC close to 2011? IIRC you said FS went downhill
FS is less of a walk to the MRT.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
RC is great for short stays if using MTR to get to/from airport, but the long walk through the mall and the subway stations get tiring (metaphorically and literally) quite fast.

I really like the property, especially its service, but I really wouldn't consider transportation a strong suit for RC. (Also the taxi situation outside the hotel can sometimes get awkward)
You have another taxi station on the left of the hotel, maybe 40 / 50 meters away
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:19 am

What's the connection between flying F and either or not using the airport express train /check in ?

Is there any nice F check in at HKG (like AF in CDG or TG in BKK, etc ?) CX is average at best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.