Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fraser
A great thing about The Peninsula is the arrivals service. I always book the RR Phantom transfers and am met off the aircraft, driven by golf cart to immigration (or walked to it if arriving on the midfield terminal), being put through diplomatic immigration channels and then the car is waiting downstairs. It is very slick and really not bad value for money compared to other Phantom transfers (1600 HKD/$204 for arrival, 2900 HKD/$370 return). The room is always ready, even on early morning arrivals this way. I wouldn't be surprised if other hotels have a similar, albeit non-Phantom, service but have never enquired.
I can confirm you get this service at other hotels. Personally I think a nice S-Class is fine for the drive but other hotels also offer Bentleys (for a surcharge of course). Not sure about other Phantoms in HKG, I think this is mostly a Peninsula Thing.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:43 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
The VIP Meet and Greet is offered any many hotels...but the MO still does it as part of the transfer inclusion. Peninsula started charging separately for it. The Ritz also offers a RR transfer.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
but the MO still does it as part of the transfer inclusion. Peninsula started charging separately for it.
At FS it was included.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
I can confirm you get this service at other hotels. Personally I think a nice S-Class is fine for the drive but other hotels also offer Bentleys (for a surcharge of course). Not sure about other Phantoms in HKG, I think this is mostly a Peninsula Thing.
I am definitely a loyal fan of Medcedes-Benz, and far prefer S class to BMW. MO HK’s transfer service is great.

I have been upgraded to Bentley/Rolls Royce a few times at various hotels for the price of a standard transfer. I appreciate that very much, but normally do not think it is worth paying a large premium over another vehicle type.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
The VIP Meet and Greet is offered any many hotels...but the MO still does it as part of the transfer inclusion. Peninsula started charging separately for it. The Ritz also offers a RR transfer.
Interesting, did this kick in very recently? My most recent Peninsula stay was in June/July and the meet and greet was just included as part of the Phantom transfer costs.

....and for us car pedants, the R-C's Phantom is a regular one, whereas the Peninsula's are all custom EWB versions with a lot more legroom in the back.

Last edited by Fraser; Nov 27, 2018 at 6:50 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:23 am

Interesting, did this kick in very recently? My most recent Peninsula stay was in June/July and the meet and greet was just included as part of the Phantom transfer costs.

....and for us car pedants, the R-C's Phantom is a regular one, whereas the Peninsula's are all custom EWB versions with a lot more legroom in the back.
I think the standard legroom in a Phantom is quite sufficient
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I appreciate that very much, but normally do not think it is worth paying a large premium over another vehicle type.
Totally agree. At FS I also booked the S-Class as I don´t see the point to pay nearly the triple price to drive a few meters in a Bentley or whatever. If the difference is significant I´m also fine with an E-class for a 30 minutes airport transfer.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I think the standard legroom in a Phantom is quite sufficient
Is there such a thing? Can't help but stretch your legs out as far as possible after a (probable) long flight into HKG!

IMO, whilst an S Class certainly does the job for me the choice of the Phantom is because they are pretty unusual house cars and when a hotel does have one a similar length transfer is far more expensive. FS GV charge 750 Euros to/from CDG in their Phantom.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:30 am

Is there such a thing? Can't help but stretch your legs out as far as possible after a (probable) long flight into HKG!

IMO, whilst an S Class certainly does the job for me the choice of the Phantom is because they are pretty unusual house cars and when a hotel does have one a similar length transfer is far more expensive. FS GV charge 750 Euros to/from CDG in their Phantom.
Different cities charge at entirely different price levels, regardless of distance.

For me it is a short flight. And at under six feet tall, yes there is a point for me when added leg room is of no consequence. Having been in all of these vehicle types, and other similar ones, many times, for me the S Class (or similar) vehicle types hit the right balance. I feel safer and more comfortable than I would in a smaller car, but on the other hand it is easier on my wallet than the RR/Bentley/Maybach. Of course I enjoy those cars if I get upgraded to them, or if I splurge in a case where the price difference is not that great. But no, I would not usually not spend 200%~300% of S-Class to ride in one for 30 minutes.

On the other hand, the Phantoms at The Peninsula are something special. It is worth experiencing that at least once if one hasn’t already.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 28, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Lambi
If you're considering staying on the "wrong" side of the bay, you might as well stay at the RC. Better pool, food (except the afternoon tea at the Pen which is fabulous) and much more modern rooms. Also your teenagers will be very impressed by the view. Otherwise the Hong Kong island side is preferred if you don't want to take the subway every time you need to go somewhere. I much prefer the RC over the Pen and IC, but I'm the kind of guy that prefers F&B, hardware and location over service in a city that doesn't need the concierge.

If you want to go on a tour of the city, just book it really cheap through anything but the hotel. I was on "the big foot walking tour", and it was fabulous. Just google it or go with any good tour you find on tripadvisor.

I've been to HKG over a dozen times, have mostly stayed in TST or Admiralty. If I were to live in HKG, sure I'd rather live on the island side. But as a vacationing person, I don't get this notion that Kowloon is the wrong side. In fact, I personally think a first-time visitor (like ak64) is better off staying in TST. The harbour view is HKG's top attraction, and it's so much more striking and classic from the Kowloon side. TST has its share of great restaurants. I've been staying in Admiralty in recent years (due to my loyalty program), but I always end up hanging out on Kowloon side each time.

Although I've never stayed at RC, the location is too isolated for me. IC is a fabulous hotel. I've been staying at Conrad recently only due to Hhonors benefits. But IC's rooms are at least on par with Conrad's, harbour views are much more impressive, breakfast is better, and the infinity jacuzzi is fabulous. Peninsula is just a mesmerizing experience. It's on a different level than IC, Shangrila, Conrad imho. But if IC with harbour view and club access is the same price as Pen without either, then I'd have to go with IC.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:17 am

I would also very possibly take IC with club and harbour view over standard (non harbour view) at Pen or other top hotels.

However, if Grand Deluxe Harbour View room or suite at Peninsula is an option, that is about as good as it gets.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:20 am

A great thing about The Peninsula is the arrivals service. I always book the RR Phantom transfers and am met off the aircraft, driven by golf cart to immigration (or walked to it if arriving on the midfield terminal), being put through diplomatic immigration channels and then the car is waiting downstairs. It is very slick and really not bad value for money compared to other Phantom transfers (1600 HKD/$204 for arrival, 2900 HKD/$370 return). The room is always ready, even on early morning arrivals this way. I wouldn't be surprised if other hotels have a similar, albeit non-Phantom, service but have never enquired.
That's incredible. Didn't know about this. Rolls Royce, plus room always ready from early morning, plus VIP immigration treatment!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:24 am

However, if Grand Deluxe Harbour View room or suite at Peninsula is an option, that is about as good as it gets.
Yeah the Grand Deluxe Harbour View would definitely be my choice at Peninsula (can't afford suites).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by evergrn
I've been to HKG over a dozen times, have mostly stayed in TST or Admiralty. If I were to live in HKG, sure I'd rather live on the island side. But as a vacationing person, I don't get this notion that Kowloon is the wrong side.
I don't entirely disagree with you. We have no problem staying on the Kowloon side either and even if we stay on the island, often end up in Kowloon.

Admittedly, one good make the case that there is a better selection of luxury properties on the island though.

I never understand why people get so "religious" and dogmatic about things like this...

Regards
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:19 pm

The MO does not offer priority immigration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.