best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Four Seasons is your best bet then, given the importance of swimming pool. Easily the best swimming pool in HK, standard rooms, deluxe, and Premier are very nice. Guaranteed excellent service and F&B. No need to look further.

However, Mandarin Oriental is in fact my choice. I find the service fantastic and I love everything about the rooms, suites and F&B. It just does not have the outdoor swimming pool with harbour views. All rooms are adequately nice here, but I would suggest a Harbour View room or a Mandarin Room if possible.
The Ritz-Carlton's pool is also fabulous. I actually prefer it to the MO and FS.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CGRA
MO pool has a very large wall screen with a live view of the harbour
So watching TV😉
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
I don't get the fascination with the MO. Stayed there once. I'd rather take a hotel with a nicer view/pool than one with more personable service. I can't sit and admire personable service the same way I can admire a view.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:06 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
I don't get the fascination with the MO. Stayed there once. I'd rather take a hotel with a nicer view/pool than one with more personable service. I can't sit and admire personable service the same way I can admire a view.
Ha!

Next time, try the Four Seasons and you'll get just about everything except for the rooms being very corporate and feeling dated.
Great views, best outdoor pool in HK and even some top notch service...oh, the lounge is tops as well.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:16 am

Harbour views and views of Central Hong Kong, including Bank of China Tower, etc... aren’t exactly chopped liver. And, for others including myself, service is everything. All of these hotels have good service, but sometimes if there is just one or two individual staff members who take great care of me, I’ll choose hotels on that basis alone, often without even comparing rates with other hotels. MO Hong Kong is one of those places for me.

InterContinental/Regent has the best views along with Ritz-Carlton. FS is a winner for swimming pool and views. FS is very hard to beat for overall excellence. The beauty of Hong Kong is that there are so many good hotels, that we can all have our individual choices and have a great hotel stay.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:03 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Agreed with @MikeFromTokyo
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Agree as well. I end up staying at FS most of the time as I've had very good service, nice views, good restaurants, and nice pool, and I like the rooms. I love the service and restaurants at the MO, but views not as good as they used to be ( before all the build up around it). I find the absolute best views for my taste to be from the Intercontinental ( ex Regent and maybe soon to be Regent again?). I just don't really like to stay in Kowloon. It's not convenient for my business, friends and preferred restaurants. I guess I differ from many on this site as I really do not care for the Ritz. I don't like the location, I'm not wild about the restaurants, and find the views almost too high up. It's just not for me but good to hear others really like it. I've never tried the Upper House, and haven't stayed for a long time at the Pen as too many tourists in lobby and prefer to be on Hong Kong island, although the service used to be excellent - assume it is still high caliber, and some of the rooms also have terrific views.

Overall, agree that HK has a number of great choices to appeal to all different peoples' wishes! We are so lucky to have such options!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:42 pm

Any luxury hotels in HK for around 300 USD? I know the IC is cheaper compared to other Virtuosos and the MO often has third night free deal that averages out to 3-400/night but wanted to see if there's anything else.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:27 pm

Any luxury hotels in HK for around 300 USD? I know the IC is cheaper compared to other Virtuosos and the MO often has third night free deal that averages out to 3-400/night but wanted to see if there's anything else.
Island Shangri-la is a very good hotel and good value with confirmed upgradeds, etc...

Conrad is also an acceptable choice, if at the right price. So is JW Marriott.

Definitely check to see if you are eligible for corporate rates, or if any of your friends can hook you up with such a reservation. Those can be significantly lower than BAR.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 21, 2018 at 11:36 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Island Shangri-la is a very good hotel and good value with confirmed upgradeds, etc...

Conrad is also an acceptable choice, if at the right price. So is JW Marriott.

Definitely check to see if you are eligible for corporate rates, or any of your friends can hook you up with such a reservation. Those can be significantly lower than BAR.
Conrad and JW are not on Virtuoso though?

When staying on the island, I don't care much for the harbour view. I think the peak is just as interesting. But if on the Kowloon side, harbour is a must.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

misread

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 21, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:01 pm

concerned about IC Hong Kong refurbishment

I'd like to ask you all some advice. My family and I will be traveling to China and Hong Kong next April. As background, we travel internationally about once or twice/year, staying at pretty high end properties, but we certainly don't have the knowledge that many of you more seasoned travelers do. This will be our first trip to Hong Kong, although we were in China about 15 years ago adopting our daughter. It will be my wife and I and my two teenage daughters, meaning wherever we stay in Hong Kong will require two connecting rooms, which doubles the already hefty price tag. Right now we are holding reservations at the Peninsula, with the Pen Club rate, which gives us two interconnecting courtyard view rooms in the original building (incl. upgrade if available, breakfast, 100 credit), ....and also at Intercontinental, with two interconnecting harbor view rooms with club access. The bookings are about equal in price....Right now I'm leaning towards the IC, as it sounds like having the harbor view is worthwhile, and I enjoy having club access. While the Pen does offer upgrade room category if available, I think the next level room up may just be a tower room (without being harbor view), and I think having the two rooms interconnecting probably lessens the chances of an upgrade.
My question is this: With the IC closing next year for refurbishment, will they continue to do necessary maintenance and upkeep? I have read that the rooms do look tired now, and we certainly wouldn't want to spend the cash on a "run-down" property. Do you think the IC will still be a good choice for my family? The other property I would consider is the FS, but if I add club level there (which I understand is wonderful), we're suddenly north of $1000 per room, which is really out of my range!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ak64
I'd like to ask you all some advice. My family and I will be traveling to China and Hong Kong next April. As background, we travel internationally about once or twice/year, staying at pretty high end properties, but we certainly don't have the knowledge that many of you more seasoned travelers do. This will be our first trip to Hong Kong, although we were in China about 15 years ago adopting our daughter. It will be my wife and I and my two teenage daughters, meaning wherever we stay in Hong Kong will require two connecting rooms, which doubles the already hefty price tag. Right now we are holding reservations at the Peninsula, with the Pen Club rate, which gives us two interconnecting courtyard view rooms in the original building (incl. upgrade if available, breakfast, 100 credit), ....and also at Intercontinental, with two interconnecting harbor view rooms with club access. The bookings are about equal in price....Right now I'm leaning towards the IC, as it sounds like having the harbor view is worthwhile, and I enjoy having club access. While the Pen does offer upgrade room category if available, I think the next level room up may just be a tower room (without being harbor view), and I think having the two rooms interconnecting probably lessens the chances of an upgrade.
My question is this: With the IC closing next year for refurbishment, will they continue to do necessary maintenance and upkeep? I have read that the rooms do look tired now, and we certainly wouldn't want to spend the cash on a "run-down" property. Do you think the IC will still be a good choice for my family? The other property I would consider is the FS, but if I add club level there (which I understand is wonderful), we're suddenly north of $1000 per room, which is really out of my range!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
If you're considering staying on the "wrong" side of the bay, you might as well stay at the RC. Better pool, food (except the afternoon tea at the Pen which is fabulous) and much more modern rooms. Also your teenagers will be very impressed by the view. Otherwise the Hong Kong island side is preferred if you don't want to take the subway every time you need to go somewhere. I much prefer the RC over the Pen and IC, but I'm the kind of guy that prefers F&B, hardware and location over service in a city that doesn't need the concierge.

If you want to go on a tour of the city, just book it really cheap through anything but the hotel. I was on "the big foot walking tour", and it was fabulous. Just google it or go with any good tour you find on tripadvisor.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by ak64
While the Pen does offer upgrade room category if available, I think the next level room up may just be a tower room (without being harbor view)
This is correct. I prefer the original building rooms to those in the tower. You get the high ceilings and the bathrooms feel more special too. It just feels more what the Peninsula is about than the tower which has a much more ordinary hotel room layout at this category of rooms. I personally don't mind the courtyard view, if you're on the higher floors (my last visit was a Deluxe Suite on the 6th floor corner and the view from the harbour was pretty good! I turned down the Superior Harbour View Suite upgrade, a category I'd stayed in before).

I am one of the few on the LH&T forum who always picks The Peninsula in Hong Kong. I don't care that I'm on the wrong side of the harbour, I don't really care that the lobby gets busy for a few hours in the afternoon....but my first stay there was hugely impressive and on all my subsequent trips to Hong Kong I've picked it again and again. I've been to the Ritz Carlton and it's an impressive property but it's pretty far out of the way, IMO. I don't mind walking to Star Ferry, I don't mind being in the Salisbury/Nathan Road action and because the area around the R-C is so new it feels a bit sterile and removed from the things I love about Hong Kong. Never been to the IC...

A great thing about The Peninsula is the arrivals service. I always book the RR Phantom transfers and am met off the aircraft, driven by golf cart to immigration (or walked to it if arriving on the midfield terminal), being put through diplomatic immigration channels and then the car is waiting downstairs. It is very slick and really not bad value for money compared to other Phantom transfers (1600 HKD/$204 for arrival, 2900 HKD/$370 return). The room is always ready, even on early morning arrivals this way. I wouldn't be surprised if other hotels have a similar, albeit non-Phantom, service but have never enquired.
FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:03 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Fraser
This is correct. I prefer the original building rooms to those in the tower. You get the high ceilings and the bathrooms feel more special too. It just feels more what the Peninsula is about than the tower which has a much more ordinary hotel room layout at this category of rooms. I personally don't mind the courtyard view, if you're on the higher floors (my last visit was a Deluxe Suite on the 6th floor corner and the view from the harbour was pretty good! I turned down the Superior Harbour View Suite upgrade, a category I'd stayed in before).

I am one of the few on the LH&T forum who always picks The Peninsula in Hong Kong. I don't care that I'm on the wrong side of the harbour, I don't really care that the lobby gets busy for a few hours in the afternoon....but my first stay there was hugely impressive and on all my subsequent trips to Hong Kong I've picked it again and again. I've been to the Ritz Carlton and it's an impressive property but it's pretty far out of the way, IMO. I don't mind walking to Star Ferry, I don't mind being in the Salisbury/Nathan Road action and because the area around the R-C is so new it feels a bit sterile and removed from the things I love about Hong Kong. Never been to the IC...

A great thing about The Peninsula is the arrivals service. I always book the RR Phantom transfers and am met off the aircraft, driven by golf cart to immigration (or walked to it if arriving on the midfield terminal), being put through diplomatic immigration channels and then the car is waiting downstairs. It is very slick and really not bad value for money compared to other Phantom transfers (1600 HKD/$204 for arrival, 2900 HKD/$370 return). The room is always ready, even on early morning arrivals this way. I wouldn't be surprised if other hotels have a similar, albeit non-Phantom, service but have never enquired.
Like you, I'm also one of the few who loves the Pen and doesn't mind being in Kowloon. I will likely feel the same about Rosewood. 100% agreed that the Pen RR is special and one of the best car services I've ever experienced. When we finally pulled up to the hotel, there were 3 hosts by the entrance to open the door, greet us and quickly shown to our suite for a smooth/efficient check in.

Visiting their Heli-Pad/lounge was really cool! Basically a man cave for the owner to store toys.

We had a six person dining table in our suite and the welcome amenities took up a third of the table. The most generous spread I've seen. Loved the in house made chocolate bell boy, lol! We didn't really touch the fruit bowl at all but I did notice that it was still completely refreshed/changed daily.

But I do like the FS, UPH and MO as well...Too many great properties in HK to choose from
FlyerEC and Dave510 like this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Nov 26, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.