Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented

Would you like to elaborate on this? Usually Marcel and team go above and beyond. Curious if they failed you on one occasion.
Seconding this. Marcel Thoma is one of the greats. I think the staff level service lacks the polish of MOHK or FS though. Different crowds.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:04 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Aventine
Seconding this. Marcel Thoma is one of the greats. I think the staff level service lacks the polish of MOHK or FS though. Different crowds.
It's a lot more warm/friendly/jovial than polished, yes. They're more thoughtful though.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:46 pm

Never stayed at TUH.
Had lunch couple of times.
I didn’t find them smiling nor warm nor helpful.
There is no “hello” / greetings by their staff.
First time I thought it was an exception /bad day.
Second time I had confirmation that this is not a place for me.

The food by itself is OK
the table are too close (3 noisy people next to me)
asked for window table and they told me none available despite several were available at the beginning and at the end of my lunch and it was already late when I arrived.... so no desire to please which should be the very basics
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by CGRA
Never stayed at TUH.
Had lunch couple of times.
I didn’t find them smiling nor warm nor helpful.
There is no “hello” / greetings by their staff.
First time I thought it was an exception /bad day.
Second time I had confirmation that this is not a place for me.

The food by itself is OK
the table are too close (3 noisy people next to me)
asked for window table and they told me none available despite several were available at the beginning and at the end of my lunch and it was already late when I arrived.... so no desire to please which should be the very basics
Café Gray Deluxe is very popular with HK 'crowd' and rarely disappoints, but I think you will hardly find service levels comparable to FS as a non-resident. The magic happens when you are a registered guest.

I experienced bad service in various hotel restaurants when visiting without having a formal reservation or being introduced. It happens.

FS and MO are pretty consistent in trying to deliver a quality experience, even on a short occasion without having access to profile or being able to properly identify a guest.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:04 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Yep - and as a repeat guest, I'd say TUH has it absolutely spot on more than any other hotel I've seen.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:17 am

Café Gray Deluxe is very popular with HK 'crowd' and rarely disappoints, but I think you will hardly find service levels comparable to FS as a non-resident. The magic happens when you are a registered guest.

I experienced bad service in various hotel restaurants when visiting without having a formal reservation or being introduced. It happens.

FS and MO are pretty consistent in trying to deliver a quality experience, even on a short occasion without having access to profile or being able to properly identify a guest.
thank you for the info
so bad service for non registered guest and excellent service otherwise....
I’d still expect a good to very good service as non registered guest.
Restaurant was not full and the MO book it.

RC as well seems consistent to offer excellent service for non registered guest
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA
Sorry for the slightly off topic post but I thought it interesting to compare registered and non registered guest. This last weekend I went for a drink in the Bamboo Bar in MOBKK which coincided with a very large event for the hotel, a SuperMall was opening (IconSiam) and the great and the good were in attendance. The bar manager asked if we were residents, which we weren't, and I expected a 'sorry sir but we won't be able to accomodate you this evening'. In fact the opposite was true, when a table became free five minutes later he tracked us down in the hotel and we had a lovely evening, top marks.
MikeFromTokyo, reigndrop and Nizar like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
thank you for the info
so bad service for non registered guest and excellent service otherwise....
I’d still expect a good to very good service as non registered guest.
Restaurant was not full and the MO book it.

RC as well seems consistent to offer excellent service for non registered guest
Any hotel restaurant that does not provide good service to all guests, staying or otherwise, has a problem in my opinion. By all means staying guests and regulars should get exceptional service, but the baseline level of service for each and every person who walks in should be very good.

It’s definitely in hotels’ interest to treat everyone well. Not only is it simply the right thing to do, but every walk in guest is a potential staying hotel guest or repeat customer if they leave with a good impression. I often check out other hotels in cities by going for a meal, and have subsequently become a regular guest of hotels in this way. On the other hand, sometimes all it takes is one negative experience, which could be anything from bad service in a restaurant to an unsatisfactory experience on the telephone with reservations, to have me looking elsewhere. In some cases this has swayed five figure hotel spend towards properties that made a good first impression.

Originally Posted by heronb
Sorry for the slightly off topic post but I thought it interesting to compare registered and non registered guest. This last weekend I went for a drink in the Bamboo Bar in MOBKK which coincided with a very large event for the hotel, a SuperMall was opening (IconSiam) and the great and the good were in attendance. The bar manager asked if we were residents, which we weren't, and I expected a 'sorry sir but we won't be able to accomodate you this evening'. In fact the opposite was true, when a table became free five minutes later he tracked us down in the hotel and we had a lovely evening, top marks.
I love the Bamboo Bar. MO BK and MO HK are my favorites.
FlyerEC, lb8001 and Nizar like this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Any hotel restaurant that does not provide good service to all guests, staying or otherwise, has a problem in my opinion. By all means staying guests and regulars should get exceptional service, but the baseline level of service for each and every person who walks in should be very good.

It’s definitely in hotels’ interest to treat everyone well. Not only is it simply the right thing to do, but every walk in guest is a potential staying hotel guest or repeat customer if they leave with a good impression. I often check out other hotels in cities by going for a meal, and have subsequently become a regular guest of hotels in this way. On the other hand, sometimes all it takes is one negative experience, which could be anything from bad service in a restaurant to an unsatisfactory experience on the telephone with reservations, to have me looking elsewhere. In some cases this has swayed five figure hotel spend towards properties that made a good first impression.
I can’t agree more.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Yep - and as a repeat guest, I'd say TUH has it absolutely spot on more than any other hotel I've seen.
But no pool In every hot and humid city I need a pool! I've been to RC and Pen in HK, loved the RC except for having to take the subway everywhere. Hated the Pen because it's too stiff and snobby for me... also the posers in the lobby puts me off, they don't make me feel welcome.

Four Seasons looks awesome, great pool, great F&B, anything I should be wary of? MO and LMO look good too, location is awesome also. They feel a bit pricey though, especially since hard product and F&B (I've been very disappointed by Amber) are way more important to me than service in a city where I don't need the concierge ever.

Edit: Also, something that makes me pretty annoyed is entry level rooms being garbage in a top tier luxury hotel.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:37 pm

Four Seasons is your best bet then, given the importance of swimming pool. Easily the best swimming pool in HK, standard rooms, deluxe, and Premier are very nice. Guaranteed excellent service and F&B. No need to look further.

However, Mandarin Oriental is in fact my choice. I find the service fantastic and I love everything about the rooms, suites and F&B. It just does not have the outdoor swimming pool with harbour views. All rooms are adequately nice here, but I would suggest a Harbour View room or a Mandarin Room if possible.
FlyerEC and Dave510 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Four Seasons is your best bet then, given the importance of swimming pool. Easily the best swimming pool in HK, standard rooms, deluxe, and Premier are very nice. Guaranteed excellent service and F&B. No need to look further.

However, Mandarin Oriental is in fact my choice. I find the service fantastic and I love everything about the rooms, suites and F&B. It just does not have the outdoor swimming pool with harbour views. All rooms are adequately nice here, but I would suggest a Harbour View room or a Mandarin Room if possible.
I still remember the reason I chose to stay at MO HK for the first time, because of a pleasant interaction I had with the staff there. I was not a staying guest, nor dining at the hotel. As far as they're concerned, I was a young man dressed terribly, looking for the John Lobb store in the same building.

The staff could not be warmer or friendlier in guiding me to where I needed to be, in a way a friendly family member would. That was the first time I decided to stay at MO, even though I prefer a different style of hardware.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

I love the Bamboo Bar. MO BK and MO HK are my favorites.
Well said! ^
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others

I like TUH, but the service at Cafe Gray is nothing special - even if you are a guest. It remains the case that MO and FS - which both have multiple restaurants - are just better for that service. Never underestimate the bottom line contribution of F&B. To do that the service has to be great for everyone, not just guests.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:27 pm

MO pool has a very large wall screen with a live view of the harbour

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.