Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Seems nowadays luxury hotels are increasingly practising cost cutting, hence the stingy welcome amenities. Most require you to pay for them rather than put them in the room as a nice surprise If that's the case, really no different from a standard 4/5 star business hotel.
The GMs that really care about VVIPs, returning guests, friends of the hotel, etc will lay on the charm. They're an increasingly rare breed in the luxury travel world so value your stays with them.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Aventine
The GMs that really care about VVIPs, returning guests, friends of the hotel, etc will lay on the charm. They're an increasingly rare breed in the luxury travel world so value your stays with them.
Agree. I received those small lemon cakes when I last stayed at MO. In fact, I think MO, along with Four Seasons are very stingy with welcome amenities despite being in the upper tier of luxury hotel group.

Actually, the way I see it, eventually, this will be phased out in time to come. Everything will be itemized. Want a box of chocolate? Fruit basket? Champagne on arrival? Pay for it. That's why at the end of every MO hotel booking one is presented with a list of options what "welcome amenities" one wants ( and of course pay for it ), including fruit plates and flowers, something that not longer ago is included. Nowadays, I only get decent welcome amenities if I stayed at a Super-luxury properties ( suite ) or if I am a regular guests. At least at the RCHK, where I am a regular, they are kind enough to give me fruit plate + cookies + mooncake.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Agree. I received those small lemon cakes when I last stayed at MO. In fact, I think MO, along with Four Seasons are very stingy with welcome amenities despite being in the upper tier of luxury hotel group.

Actually, the way I see it, eventually, this will be phased out in time to come. Everything will be itemized. Want a box of chocolate? Fruit basket? Champagne on arrival? Pay for it. That's why at the end of every MO hotel booking one is presented with a list of options what "welcome amenities" one wants ( and of course pay for it ), including fruit plates and flowers, something that not longer ago is included. Nowadays, I only get decent welcome amenities if I stayed at a Super-luxury properties ( suite ) or if I am a regular guests. At least at the RCHK, where I am a regular, they are kind enough to give me fruit plate + cookies + mooncake.
I used to get all kinds of goodies when Thomas Harlander was at PH Seoul but the new GM put a kibosh to all of that. Leonardo at FS DJB did all of our stay requests and a very decent welcome amenity in the room.

Honestly, I really think it depends on the GM, or your agent's relationship to the hotel or your stay history.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Aventine

Honestly, I really think it depends on the GM, or your agent's relationship to the hotel or your stay history.
Exactly... all about the profile, type of booking and relationship with the hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Sure, it wasn't so much a fault, more an observation. It looks like a very, very spartan welcome (no drink either on arrival - tea etc which The Upper House offers upon in-room check-in) in comparison to Upper House. Also surprised that check-in is still done at the counters in this day and age, with ~100 rooms.

There are expectations set (bear in mind it's priced about even with Upper House Hong Kong even accounting for both's promotional offers).

Similar with turndown service.

In our room at LMO

My guest, checking in on the exact same day. In the room at Upper House - a tote bag full of goodies and more

In a bizarre way, with what it offers, it's almost more fit to be a 'world class business hotel' - but with its rates and boutique nature, they're aiming for as much of the leisure market too.
Mine was different

Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Yes, because luxury hotels are so GREAT at CRM

So easy to do yet so few bother.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:14 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by ppppewang
Mine was different

That's much better! When did you check in?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
That's much better! When did you check in?
I was there September. Mid-autumn festival.

Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:21 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by ppppewang
I was there September. Mid-autumn festival
Thought so with the mooncake. I was there around the same time (September 30-Oct 1).

When I spoke to the team about the arrival and lack of any drinks, they said since I live in Hong Kong, they didn't think a mooncake or tea would be an appropriate welcome. Bizarre, I'd certainly have loved something a bit more!

Still, a nice enough hotel otherwise. Was really impressed with service otherwise though.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I'll be in Hong Kong for 3 nights - first time visiting the city - next April. Which hotel do folks think has the best view - and do folks have a strong preference on being on Hong Kong Island v. Kowloon?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I'll be in Hong Kong for 3 nights - first time visiting the city - next April. Which hotel do folks think has the best view - and do folks have a strong preference on being on Hong Kong Island v. Kowloon?
My go-to Hong Kong hotel is the Ritz-Carlton. Every single time I stay there, I'm blown away by the views. It never gets old. If you choose to stay there, be sure to get a room that gives you access to the club floor. That being said, I've had great experiences at the Peninsula, too. FS has by far the best restaurants of any hotel in the city if that's important to you. Next time I'm in Hong Kong for leisure, I'm going to try the Upper House as I've read some rave reviews here, and my attention has been piqued.

I don't have a strong preference as to Hong Kong Island vs. Kowloon. I just stay where my preferred hotel happens to be located, which in the case of the Ritz-Carlton is Kowloon.
ray1022 and aceboy44 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
and do folks have a strong preference on being on Hong Kong Island v. Kowloon?
It really depends on what you're there for. If it's business, then it's handy to be on the same side as businesses you'll be spending most time with. It's not difficult crossing the harbour (just considered a pain if you live there and have to do it often and on time). I know this is the luxury forum, but do consider the mtr (outside of rush hour) for getting around.

If you're there for leisure, there's things to see both on the island and mainland. I still like the island better, but then I lived there for some years so it feels more like 'home'. You can't beat the views of the island from some hotels Kowloon-side, however. I think the shopping, nightlife and restaurants are marginally better on the island, but not enough so as to recommend staying there if you prefer Kowloon. HK Island is generally calmer than across the harbour.

Unless you have a pressing need to be one side of the harbour or the other, it'd be better to base your decision on which hotel you like the look of most and if what's in that surrounding area is of interest to you.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
My go-to Hong Kong hotel is the Ritz-Carlton. Every single time I stay there, I'm blown away by the views. It never gets old. If you choose to stay there, be sure to get a room that gives you access to the club floor. That being said, I've had great experiences at the Peninsula, too. FS has by far the best restaurants of any hotel in the city if that's important to you. Next time I'm in Hong Kong for leisure, I'm going to try the Upper House as I've read some rave reviews here, and my attention has been piqued.

I don't have a strong preference as to Hong Kong Island vs. Kowloon. I just stay where my preferred hotel happens to be located, which in the case of the Ritz-Carlton is Kowloon.
+1 on the RCHK view, simply the best in Hong Kong hands down. Although it can be dependent on the weather. Nothing quite beats waking up with the entire Hong Kong Skyline under your feet.

ray1022 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:02 am

By the way, does anyone knows what happen to Rosewood Hong Kong? It's supposed to be the next big thing but looks like the opening has been delayed? Don't think they can make it in 2018.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:35 pm

By the way, does anyone knows what happen to Rosewood Hong Kong? It's supposed to be the next big thing but looks like the opening has been delayed? Don't think they can make it in 2018.
Leanne Hucker has been appointed DOSM and is already very busy working on it! It is an interesting project, although way too many keys for my taste -- even for HK standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.