best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by jiaotze
Thanks for all the responses. Sorry to sound so dense, but on a Virtuoso rate the sole option for bfast at TUH is a la carte at Cafe Grey, while at the MO one gets to decide between the buffet at Clipper Lounge and a la carte at Causette? If so, any thoughts on Cafe Grey vs Causette?
Well , like both , rather flexible . Different .
From Cafe Causette you see Statue Square / Princes Building nice stores window displays & Cafe Gray has birds eye view

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 24, 2018 at 8:38 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dave510
There's unlikely to be a best hotel in Hong Kong as everyone looks for something different. The best thing about the Hong Kong hotel market is the abundance of choice to suit almost any preference.

For example, Hong Kong Island is a nice side to stay at but lacks the view Kowloon offers.
You can go there to check out the view for dinner or drinks, but staying on HK island is certainly better.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 24, 2018 at 3:40 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by jiaotze
Thanks for all the responses. Sorry to sound so dense, but on a Virtuoso rate the sole option for bfast at TUH is a la carte at Cafe Grey, while at the MO one gets to decide between the buffet at Clipper Lounge and a la carte at Causette? If so, any thoughts on Cafe Grey vs Causette?
I love both and my usual solution is breakfast at Cafe Gray, lunch at Cafe Causette. Cafe Gray is relaxed at breakfast (with excellent food); Cafe Causette feels right in the frenetic HK thick of it (in a good way) an in the middle of the best shopping etc; perfect for lunch.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Altocumulus
I love both and my usual solution is breakfast at Cafe Gray, lunch at Cafe Causette. Cafe Gray is relaxed at breakfast (with excellent food); Cafe Causette feels right in the frenetic HK thick of it (in a good way) an in the middle of the best shopping etc; perfect for lunch.
It is a good point. The MO places are insane in the morning and lunch for business, but UH (really just CG) is quiet in the morning but becomes crowded as the day continues. It is still hard to get dinner bookings there.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:02 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Just did my staycation at Landmark Mandarin Oriental.

Rooms are very spacious and in good condition (Virtuoso has upgrade at time of booking - most generally don't book the entry level L450s which aren't great or you could book L450 and upgrade to 600. L600 up is good - I stayed in L900 Landmark Suite which is very, very spacious).

I still think the interiors need a bit of a redesign - it was a sunny day outside, but because of the location (possibly best in Hong Kong along with MO) and the direction the property faces, everything is too dark. Dark green carpeting, grey floors and paneling don't help (other than being an unsightly colour). If ever a place needed more cream/beige like tones, this is it. The living space of my suite was a bit better. None the less, the maintenance is very good.
In case you haven't been, see the official hotel pics for reference:

Bizarrely, the lobby of the LMO actually reminds me more of the interiors of MO (chestnut paneling etc) than LMO.

Going back for the spa on Tuesday, and might check out the new Entertainment Suite if available (wasn't during my stay).

Thought service was warm and friendly but surprised but:
- The relatively sparse welcome gifts - I had two small pieces of lemony cake, almost macaron-sized (in comparison to Upper Houses' almost OTT welcome amenities, goodies and gifts)
- No turndown gifts or little goodies, or at least I didn't see anything in an obvious space (other than two face masks) but it may have gotten lost in the suite.

F&B is pretty good. Buffet breakfast (good spread for just over 100 rooms) at MO Bar and Amber, with choice of hot dishes cooked to order. Didn't try Amber again for lunch/dinner because most know about that already. And although MO Bar doesn't have a view, it's always been a place of mine for drinks.

You really, really, really have to be prepared before hand to not have ANY semblance of a view at all though - at Ritz-Carlton and Peninsula you get either the harbour or the full on craziness of Kowloon, at Upper House/hotels in the Pacific Place complex you have either harbour or the serenity of the mountains. Here, you just look out onto the courtyard/rooftop of the shopping mall below, flanked by 4 buildings.
offerendum, bhrubin and MicSanToro like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:09 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
- The relatively sparse welcome gifts - I had two small pieces of lemony cake, almost macaron-sized (in comparison to Upper Houses' almost OTT welcome amenities, goodies and gifts)
- No turndown gifts or little goodies, or at least I didn't see anything in an obvious space (other than two face masks) but it may have gotten lost in the suite.
Did you pay for the retail rate for your stay (Forgetting the upgrade)?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Just did my staycation at Landmark Mandarin Oriental.

Rooms are very spacious and in good condition (Virtuoso has upgrade at time of booking - most generally don't book the entry level L450s which aren't great or you could book L450 and upgrade to 600. L600 up is good - I stayed in L900 Landmark Suite which is very, very spacious).

I still think the interiors need a bit of a redesign - it was a sunny day outside, but because of the location (possibly best in Hong Kong along with MO) and the direction the property faces, everything is too dark. Dark green carpeting, grey floors and paneling don't help (other than being an unsightly colour). If ever a place needed more cream/beige like tones, this is it. The living space of my suite was a bit better. None the less, the maintenance is very good.
In case you haven't been, see the official hotel pics for reference:

Bizarrely, the lobby of the LMO actually reminds me more of the interiors of MO (chestnut paneling etc) than LMO.

Going back for the spa on Tuesday, and might check out the new Entertainment Suite if available (wasn't during my stay).

F&B is pretty good. Buffet breakfast (good spread for just over 100 rooms) at MO Bar and Amber, with choice of hot dishes cooked to order. Didn't try Amber again for lunch/dinner because most know about that already. And although MO Bar doesn't have a view, it's always been a place of mine for drinks.

You really, really, really have to be prepared before hand to not have ANY semblance of a view at all though - at Ritz-Carlton and Peninsula you get either the harbour or the full on craziness of Kowloon, at Upper House/hotels in the Pacific Place complex you have either harbour or the serenity of the mountains. Here, you just look out onto the courtyard/rooftop of the shopping mall below, flanked by 4 buildings.
The renovation of the LMO rooms is relatively new - and, in the words of the manager - reflected guest preference in comparison to the old even darker feel !

Nothing in HK hotels is as good as the UH giveaways.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I'm a Four Seasons fan in HK. Used to love the MO but then everything grew up around it. So switched to 4 Seasons and never looked back. Yes it's kind of corporate, but many of the employees came from the MO and I've found the service to be great. Have not tried the Upper House and am debating on my next trip.
offerendum and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
I'm a Four Seasons fan in HK.
I stayed at FS Hong Kong once, and while it was nice, it didn't have a big wow factor that I get all the time at the RC. For what it's worth, the dining at FS Hong Kong is out of this world. There are better restaurants in that hotel alone than there are on some whole continents. Caprice is spectacular. Lung King Heen is spectacular. Sushi Saito is great.

Originally Posted by Larkin
Have not tried the Upper House and am debating on my next trip.
Same here. From what bhrubin has said, and from what I've read afterwards, it sounds amazing. The usual temptation of RC Hong Kong is strong, but I'm going to try Upper House to see if it lives up to the hype.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by ABG
Did you pay for the retail rate for your stay (Forgetting the upgrade)?
Comped stay. Sorry, probably should have clarified but didnt' do a full thread on it so forgot to!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:08 am

Upper House definitely the place to be still in Hong Kong for me, especially leisure travel and if you have no business around Central/West Kowloon etc. I don't see the 'tired rooms' complaint that some have said. They have also reupholstered some of the upholstery so it looks spanking new. I will say that maintenance could improve, some of the rooms have a slightly worn look (being super critical here), but I think they'll be looking to fix that soon.

The view is definitely different, but had a couple of guests over the long weekend here staying there and the view for the fireworks was fantastic.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
The renovation of the LMO rooms is relatively new - and, in the words of the manager - reflected guest preference in comparison to the old even darker feel !

Nothing in HK hotels is as good as the UH giveaways.
Yea I was shocked by that - I first went just before the renovation, and my first time back since the renovation. I'm shocked to say the least - I don't understand why they've gone with such a dark theme. Also, I really dislike those carpets (both in the living room and bedroom).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:15 am

Comped stay. Sorry, probably should have clarified but didnt' do a full thread on it so forgot to!
I envy you^
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:21 am

Just to add to that, the spa is absolutely excellent (I went back for the spa today). And they sitll stock Sodashi, although the 'default' treatment options are no longer Sodashi, I had to specifically ask for it.

But the toiletries in room were all COCHINE.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:37 am

Just to add to that, the spa is absolutely excellent (I went back for the spa today). And they sitll stock Sodashi, although the 'default' treatment options are no longer Sodashi, I had to specifically ask for it.

But the toiletries in room were all COCHINE.
Interesting, as I thought they had discontinued Sodashi at LMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.