best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:18 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Just did a site tour of Rosewood Hong Kong. Some of the amenities are not ready yet, but got to see F&B spaces and a couple of room types - Grand Harbour View Room and Grand Harbour Corner Suite.

Immediate thoughts:
- Art throughout the hotel
- Entrance/lobby is well designed, relatively open space (with art a big feature) and the actual concierge/guest relations etc desk to the side.
- Rooms/hard product is absolutely stunning. Rooms start at a spacious 53sqm - although immediately entering you might not see this full space because a lot of it is spent in the bathroom. Some of the most stunning entry level bathrooms in a city hotel, and certainly in Hong Kong (only Upper House compares). In fact, the entry level bathrooms might be better than the suites. The bedroom space doesn't feel huge, but it's very smartly laid out with a settee by the bed (some rooms have a higher back) and a very sizeable chaise lounge by the window offering plenty of sitting space. Views are, as you can imagine, stunning. Lots of connecting room options, and some of the suites also connect.
- 91 (I think) suites out of 400-odd rooms, nearly 25% suites - some of the highest in Hong Kong. Didn't get a chance to see some of the signature suites yet as not yet ready.
- What they've done with the space outside the rooms as well as the 'club louunge' is a potential game changer.
- 8 restaurants/F&B spaces, some with outdoor components. Expect this to be talk of the town. Going for a different, more playful vibe (to an extent) than next door InterContinental which I think has 'great restaurants' pretty much locked down (and of course the Peninsula nearby too).
- Having said that, this will definitely be a very busy hotel regardless of occupancy rates because of the F&B space. If it's peace you're seeking (think Upper House, coming up the lobby, calming presence etc), then this will not be it. It's going to be very, very busy.

In many ways, I think this is something similar to what The Murray was trying to go for - eschewing the corporate style of the Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton and even the InterContinental etc, for something a bit more lounge-like - restaurants that serve great food but aren't overly pretentious or "here's yet another Michelin-starred restaurant" (but of course, prices will be expensive) but obviously as per reports on here and my experience, service (and F&B) has been an issue at The Murray.

Room rates start at HKD 5,300/night++ for 17 March opening. All rooms (and suites of course) can check in directly in-room which is a nice surprise for a 400+ room hotel.

Didn't get a chance to take photos today as my equipment is with my colleague in Bawah/Singapore and also not all areas of the hotel are quite ready/photogenic just yet - will go back on 17 March.
FlyerEC, BENLEE, nmuva98 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Wow the Rosewood sounds amazing, will definitely check it out when I'm in Hong Kong next.

Though based on your description, I would say the Upper House is more my taste, as I prefer more of a quiet Oasis vs. Clubby lounge like atmosphere.

Would you say the Rosewood gave you a W -hotel like vibe? Albiet higher end ?

If the Manor club is anything like the Rosewood Beijing, then it'll be amazing, that's one of the best club lounges that I've never been in.

Looking forward to pictures!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by specboi
Wow the Rosewood sounds amazing, will definitely check it out when I'm in Hong Kong next.

Though based on your description, I would say the Upper House is more my taste, as I prefer more of a quiet Oasis vs. Clubby lounge like atmosphere.

Would you say the Rosewood gave you a W -hotel like vibe? Albiet higher end ?

If the Manor club is anything like the Rosewood Beijing, then it'll be amazing, that's one of the best club lounges that I've never been in.

Looking forward to pictures!
No, it's nothing like the W at all - which I find quite pretentious and extremely over the top etc.

Rosewood is beautifully done - just an impression that it will certainly be a very busy hotel (just like the InterCon, Peninsula etc are) where as while I'm sure Upper House is also busy with Cafe Gray, it never FEELS that way in the lobby/first floor/lawn (unless you go up to Cafe Gray at certain times of the day).
specboi likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
No, it's nothing like the W at all - which I find quite pretentious and extremely over the top etc.

Rosewood is beautifully done - just an impression that it will certainly be a very busy hotel (just like the InterCon, Peninsula etc are) where as while I'm sure Upper House is also busy with Cafe Gray, it never FEELS that way in the lobby/first floor/lawn (unless you go up to Cafe Gray at certain times of the day).
Okay that's more reassuring! I actually didn't mind the peninsula HK lobby, while it was busy, it wasn't like a Club or Bar with loud music and bass pumping. Unlike say a W, or a hotel like the Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver (where I love the hard product, but hate the lobby).

​​​
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:20 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Following up to confirm that Rosewood will extend an upgrade at booking (as suspected) through bookings via its Elite program/TAs:
  • Complimentary one-category upgrade at time of reservation on all room and select suite types guaranteeing an iconic harbour view if available
Saw more photos today and it looks stunning.Their entire concept is just different than others in HK. Just as described above.
Super excited for the stay in a month!!!
FlyerEC and specboi like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:40 am

I think Rosewood Hong Kong is being covered quite well by @BESVISOR in the other thread - so to focus on something else, I got a chance to check out the St Regis Hong Kong today.

Some quick thoughts:
- Location is not the most exciting but I have had past inquiries for hotels in Causeway Bay/Wan Chai when the only options were the lower scale Park Lane/Excelsior or the really inconvenient Grand Hyatt and nothing really top notch so for anyone looking for hotels beyond Central/TST/Admiralty, this will probably be it. Plenty of food options in the area
- Some of the corner/north facing rooms do have a slight harbour view, primarily of ICC/HKCEC and a sliver of a harbour. You will likely see fireworks for NYE from here. Sunsets are likely going to be spectacular, especially if the sun reflects off ICC.
- In-room check-in for all the rooms, and of course St Regis butler service
- Rooms are spacious starting at around 50 sqm, bathroom nice rather than over the top like Rosewood's. Twin vanities, very nice bath tub.
- Chargers/USB points in all the right places, including...in in the separate toilet for those that just can't let go...(!)
- For a 50sqm room, there doesn't seem to be a lot of luggage/clothing space although that might just be me.
- Saw the Presidential Suite. Lots of nice amenities, but (at a random date - HKD 124,000/night++) again nothing that makes me think I really want to stay in the Presidential Suite. Also it's only a 1-bedroom suite (though does connect with a next door room).
- Can't say the design really appealed to me personally - throughout the hotel, the colours are generally muted, almost too much so and in trying to incorporate local colour themes (e.g. there's one paneling that's 'milk tea coloured' - not the most appealing...) and then suddenly the rooms have this very bright orange paneling (you might have seen the pics). My first thought would definitely not be Andre Fu.
- F&B wise, one traditional Chinese, one French plus the lounge and St Regis bar and Astor Terrace.
- Outdoor pool, slightly heated for cooler winters etc so will be open all year round. It doesn't really face anything though

Having said that, having met with the team quite extensively over the last few months, they do seem great to work with so hopefully service is on point (it will have to be).

I've talked in the past about one of my Hong Kong staycation hotels, The Olympian. St Regis feels like if The Olympian went corporate/big brand (not that it isn't a big brand in itself but not one known for hotels).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

- Chargers/USB points in all the right places, including...in in the separate toilet for those that just can't let go...(!)
😂😂
That's too much!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I think Rosewood Hong Kong is being covered quite well by @BESVISOR in the other thread - so to focus on something else, I got a chance to check out the St Regis Hong Kong today.

Some quick thoughts:
- Location is not the most exciting but I have had past inquiries for hotels in Causeway Bay/Wan Chai when the only options were the lower scale Park Lane/Excelsior or the really inconvenient Grand Hyatt and nothing really top notch so for anyone looking for hotels beyond Central/TST/Admiralty, this will probably be it. Plenty of food options in the area
- Some of the corner/north facing rooms do have a slight harbour view, primarily of ICC/HKCEC and a sliver of a harbour. You will likely see fireworks for NYE from here. Sunsets are likely going to be spectacular, especially if the sun reflects off ICC.
- In-room check-in for all the rooms, and of course St Regis butler service
- Rooms are spacious starting at around 50 sqm, bathroom nice rather than over the top like Rosewood's. Twin vanities, very nice bath tub.
- For a 50sqm room, there doesn't seem to be a lot of luggage/clothing space although that might just be me.
- Saw the Presidential Suite. Lots of nice amenities, but (at a random date - HKD 124,000/night++) again nothing that makes me think I really want to stay in the Presidential Suite. Also it's only a 1-bedroom suite (though does connect with a next door room).
- Can't say the design really appealed to me personally - throughout the hotel, the colours are generally muted, almost too much so and in trying to incorporate local colour themes (e.g. there's one paneling that's 'milk tea coloured' - not the most appealing...) and then suddenly the rooms have this very bright orange paneling (you might have seen the pics). My first thought would definitely not be Andre Fu.
- F&B wise, one traditional Chinese, one French plus the lounge and St Regis bar and Astor Terrace.
- Outdoor pool, slightly heated for cooler winters etc so will be open all year round. It doesn't really face anything though

Having said that, having met with the team quite extensively over the last few months, they do seem great to work with so hopefully service is on point (it will have to be).

I've talked in the past about one of my Hong Kong staycation hotels, The Olympian. St Regis feels like if The Olympian went corporate/big brand (not that it isn't a big brand in itself but not one known for hotels).
How does this compares to the Rosewood in your opinion?

Do rooms have coffee machine?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
����
That's too much!
Bit of a cringe moment when they showed me - there's even a place you can set your phone (above the charging points) for convenience. Oooooook then....

Originally Posted by BENLEE
How does this compares to the Rosewood in your opinion?

Do rooms have coffee machine?
It doesn't in any way shape or form compare to the Rosewood; only thing it might have going for it is is that it's on Hong Kong Island side, for a matter of convenience - and I'm not even sure that's a bonus at all considering the location is next to Immigration Tower in Wan Chai.

Apart from the really high ceilings in common areas, it has the look and feel of a nice but standard luxury hotel - it might as well be the St Regis Zhuhai or St Regis Guangzhou (not that the latter exists, but you can imagine) or St Regis [Insert Random City Here].

The gym is really impressive, especially for a 129 room hotel, it's huge - feels weird to say that that is probably what impressed me the most about the hotel.
I forgot to mention the spa only has 1 permanent room - they're looking to find more space to fit in more rooms but that seems a bit weird too.
Outdoor heated pool didn't impress me but that might just be because there was still a fair amount of construction (it wasn't prepped) and the weather wasn't great. Nice amenity to have in Hong Kong though I suppose.

They have a kettle - no coffee machine, at least for now. They're still bringing in a lot of fixtures etc though.

Apart from the design not being to my tastes, the rooms are spacious and big though, especially for Hong Kong.
Colour schemes aside, there are a lot of huge, clunky grey shiny marble blocks all over the hotel which I thought would be a 90s or 00s relic.

Opening date is April 11.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Mar 22, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:55 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Would love some expert feedback since this will be our first visit to Hong Kong and we do not know the city. Excuse the long post, but I really want to make the right decision, and it is tough without knowing Hong Kong.

For our trip to Asia next February and March we are splurging on Amanoi, Amansara , Four Seasons Hoi An and Aqua Mekong. We will also start our trip with 4 nights in a Governor’s Suite at the Park Hyatt Tokyo which I was able to secure with the 9000 points per night Premium Suite Upgrade. We have stayed there before so we know we will be happy.

We are torn on our last 7 nights in Hong Kong. With so many Premium nights booked, I would like to take advantage of points options and status at Hyatt or Marriott.

Initially, I booked 7 nights at the Grand Hyatt HK using the 9000/night Premium Suite Upgrade for a 700 SF Grand Executive Harbour Suite.

But this thread intrigued me about the new St Regis. We love that brand and I have Ambassador status (Lifetime Titanium) which typically results in wonderful recognition. (We are finishing up a trip to Spain and all 4 Marriott hotels- Hotel Arts, Maria Cristina, Madrid Palace & Alfonso XIII upgraded us and delivered top tier treatment). I went ahead and booked 2 nights on cash in a 1000 SF St Regis 1 BR Suite with 5 nights on points that I can apply Suite Night Awards to next week (in 5 years my SNAs have cleared every time but once).

The cost for 7 nights would be 19000 HKD (plus 340K points)for the St Regis and 25000 HKD (plus 63K points) for the Hyatt. The Suite at the St Regis would be larger and I would receive Ambassador benefits vs Explorist. I understand that people aren’t crazy about the St Regis location, but we would have the advantage of newly renovated rooms.

Would love to hear your thoughts
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:03 am

I can only judge St Regis from chinmoylad’s report here and 3 online pictures, so not at all, so this is only an opinion, but...

Keep in mind that GH HK was refreshed not too long ago and has had a wonderful, sensible renovation. The team is caring and the hotel very established in HK social fabric. All things considered a wonderful and very comfortable hotel. I really adore André Fu’s work and doing another HK project for him in his hometown is wonderful, but I am a bit hesitant if StR is the right fit.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
).

The cost for 7 nights would be 19000 HKD (plus 340K points)for the St Regis and 25000 HKD (plus 63K points) for the Hyatt. The Suite at the St Regis would be larger and I would receive Ambassador benefits vs Explorist. I understand that people aren’t crazy about the St Regis location, but we would have the advantage of newly renovated rooms.

You mean new-build rooms at the St. Regis. I believe it's a ground up new building hotel?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:50 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
You mean new-build rooms at the St. Regis. I believe it's a ground up new building hotel?
Yes- I meant new-new
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by damon88
Would love some expert feedback since this will be our first visit to Hong Kong and we do not know the city. Excuse the long post, but I really want to make the right decision, and it is tough without knowing Hong Kong.

For our trip to Asia next February and March we are splurging on Amanoi, Amansara , Four Seasons Hoi An and Aqua Mekong. We will also start our trip with 4 nights in a Governor’s Suite at the Park Hyatt Tokyo which I was able to secure with the 9000 points per night Premium Suite Upgrade. We have stayed there before so we know we will be happy.

We are torn on our last 7 nights in Hong Kong. With so many Premium nights booked, I would like to take advantage of points options and status at Hyatt or Marriott.

Initially, I booked 7 nights at the Grand Hyatt HK using the 9000/night Premium Suite Upgrade for a 700 SF Grand Executive Harbour Suite.

But this thread intrigued me about the new St Regis. We love that brand and I have Ambassador status (Lifetime Titanium) which typically results in wonderful recognition. (We are finishing up a trip to Spain and all 4 Marriott hotels- Hotel Arts, Maria Cristina, Madrid Palace & Alfonso XIII upgraded us and delivered top tier treatment). I went ahead and booked 2 nights on cash in a 1000 SF St Regis 1 BR Suite with 5 nights on points that I can apply Suite Night Awards to next week (in 5 years my SNAs have cleared every time but once).

The Grand Hyatt is really not in a great location, it's far worse than the St Regis (unless you're there for conventions/events, which presumably from your post you are not, or if you just plan to Uber/taxi everywhere in which case it probably won't matter as much though you will always run into anything with tunnel traffic for Wan Chai) - with that in mind, the Grand Hyatt will have the best views of the two hotels in question, without a doubt, and particularly for sunsets which if weather permits will be stunning. The in-house restaurants are pretty decent, but there's really not much in the area within walking distance. Grand Hyatt last renovated at least about 5-6 years ago if I recall correctly, not sure if they've done more since then (though it was being done in stages).

St Regis should comfortably be the better hotel between the two overall, and especially the nicer overall rooms (I only saw an entry level room and the Presidential Suite there so can't speak for anything in between just yet - but views-wise, the views won't get better than the Presidential Suite and they were okay) and location wise it is decent, plenty of restaurants around too, and MTR is only a 5 minute walk away.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:27 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Thanks for the replies

Fortunately, both reservations have lenient cancellation policies so I will be able to keep both and have time to make an informed decision. It will be interesting to read reviews of the St Regis. At this point I am leaning that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.