Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by evergrn

To me, HKs biggest attraction is the harbour view. Kowloon wins there. Otherwise you’ve got the Peak, Star Ferry, markets, afternoon tea, Disney, Ocean Park, maybe Ngong Ping. Other than the Peak, what major tourist sights does being on the island give advantage to, esp for the first time visitor? For Star Ferry, you’re better off from a TST hotel unless you’re staying near IFC. For Ocean Park, island hotel is no better than TST unless you’re in Admiralty.

What do Landmark and Pacific Place have that Harbor City doesn’t have that’s of interest to most HK visitors? Kowloon’s got most of the markets.

You may be right that there is a bigger number of famed restaurants on HK side. But TST alone has more than plenty.

It’s really matter of opinion. In the beginning I liked Kowloon more. Now I like HK side a bit more, but specifically Admiralty (because I like HK Park and Bowen Rd) and would still prefer TST over CAuseway Bay or Wan Chai or even Central.

You’re talking about attractions, shopping, dining as the reasons for recommending the island. But I guarantee you that’s not why most people might refer to Kowloon as the wrong side. I think that sentiment is based on either popular bias or elitism. And so I just think one should not be shooting down Kowloon as a hotel base to someone who’ll be a first time visitor.

Originally Posted by Lambi
If you're a tourist seeing all the sites, you'll notice quickly that the vast majority of them are on the island side. If you're a foodie, most of the top restaurants are on the island side. If you're a shopaholic, the best stores are on the island side. Kowloon has the views and a market or two, what else is there to do there (serious question)?
Originally Posted by Dave510
I still remember the reason I chose to stay at MO HK for the first time, because of a pleasant interaction I had with the staff there. I was not a staying guest, nor dining at the hotel. As far as they're concerned, I was a young man dressed terribly, looking for the John Lobb store in the same building.

The staff could not be warmer or friendlier in guiding me to where I needed to be, in a way a friendly family member would. That was the first time I decided to stay at MO, even though I prefer a different style of hardware.
Originally Posted by CGRA
Side note :
MO suite has bottega venata bath products, the bottles are large.
Regular rooms have Hermes (small). I prefer hermes so they do switch to hermes.
You’ll most probably have rose petal jam as welcome amenity, do not let your kids touch it before your back home :
the jam is delicious and they do sell it at their cake shop but the price has almost an extra Zero.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
MO Hong Kong is my absolute favorite. Maybe I’m different from some others here, or see it in a different way, but I have never had anything but fantastic service. The F&B is the best in my opinion among Hong Kong hotels, rivaled only by Four Seasons. Their suites and rooms really suite my taste more than any of the other hotels, with the only possible exception being the Harbour view rooms and suites at The Peninsula. But the F&B there is not as good as MO’s, and the location less convenient.

It’s cool to be in the world’s tallest hotel at R-C, where you must stay on club level it you choose it. It’s a lovely hotel. But after one gets over the novelty factor of staying on such a high floor, MO is really the place to be.

You cannot go wrong with any of the city’s top hotels; it’s a matter of personal preference at that point. For me the best is MO.

The harbour views from MOHK are what I have appreciated for years . Watching the Star ferries ply across Victoria Harbour & the cruise ships at Ocean Terminal , etcetera - is best from MOHK - this was after our views from likely the first apartment building built on Conduit Road were more or less blocked by newer skyscrapers ..
The service here has always been consistently high , though can be somewhat snooty to some .. The restaurants may have changed , locations within with the renovations but have always been the best or amongst the top in town , even with the numerous newer kids on the block .

Plus when we were stuck inside , once during a typhoon , there are lots of options within MOHK & around to enjoy
Not so convenient a stroll to Star Ferry now , easier from FS but still alright when the air / weather is bearable
So because of Star Ferry distance , these days it is TUH for us too for the views , room size .. & upbeat team

Thankfully located on the right side .. perhaps think of London / Thames , Paris / Seine , NYC / Hudson

Just enjoy HK & whichever HK hotel you pick

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 4, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
cant recall if some opined that FS was more accessible to transport vs RC

BENLEE did you stay at RC close to 2011? IIRC you said FS went downhill
I first tried out RCHK was in 2013. At that time, I compare it with FSHK and prefer it. Shortly after that, FSHK failed me ( a regular guests with 5 to 6 stays per year for the last 5 years ), so I ditched them and never went back again. Now, my favourite Hong Kong hotel is RCHK.

Originally Posted by Dave510
RC is great for short stays if using MTR to get to/from airport, but the long walk through the mall and the subway stations get tiring (metaphorically and literally) quite fast.

I really like the property, especially its service, but I really wouldn't consider transportation a strong suit for RC. (Also the taxi situation outside the hotel can sometimes get awkward)
Yes, it does takes a bit of walking to reach central station where all the route connections is. I took that as a bit of extra exercise.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:32 am

Current stay at MOHK

First time visiting HK in 10yrs and had a city view suite booked at the Mandarin Oriental for our stay. Booked through Ourisman travel which has been great - FAN club benefits etc.

Checked in today and so far have been very very pleased:
- Nice upgrade to a harbour view suite; spectacular views
- Spacious suite, like the style, lovely bathroom
- Staff have really spoiled our 2 daughters (3yrs old and 5mo), particularly our 3yo; heaps of toys, a very impressive rollaway bed with panda bedding to go with her toy panda, a “chocolate hunt” for us to do etc. Seeing the joy on her face has been worth it alone!
- Came back after spending the evening out exploring and they’d baby proofed all of the furniture with soft padding and had a birthday cake for my wife as they’d noticed it was her birthday next week just after we leave.

Looking forward to the breakfast tomorrow, experience so far has reminded me why I’m such a Mandarin Oriental fan
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:35 am

Thank you all for the advice. I must say, as I read each comment, I'm swayed back and forth between "we'll definitely stay at the Pen" to "it's the IC club floor with harbor view for sure!" to "oh I better check out the RC some more". ...The Pen looks spectacular, even though it wouldn't be a full on harbor view. I love the idea of the club floor at the IC (are drinks available all day or just during happy hour?) and the view would be awesome. My brother just got back from the RC club floor, and he very much enjoyed it, but as some have said I'm slightly concerned with location. I guess the take-home message is that these are all great hotels.

Perhaps I'll put it up to my family and let them vote!

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by ray1022
Pierre, the RC Lion, is open to all to receive! RC Hong Kong was hosting an instagram scavenger hunt, whereby anyone had to take certain pics in certain locations around the hotel (with and without team members). A fun way to engage guests.
I'm really jealous. I had 3 stays at RCHK this year and never saw Pierre the RC lion.

I'll look for him at RC Macau next month
ray1022 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I am really enjoying this thread as my wife and I are looking at going to HKG for the first time on vacation in jan/feb of 2020. We of course will want to hit all the tourist spots and want to spend a day or 2 on Lantau island. Looking at 4-5 nights. I see there will be a new St Regis opening in 2019 as well. This is going to be a tough choice not knowing much about the city. It would be a priority for us to have a nice view but without having ever been its hard to know which location we would like the best.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
We of course will want to hit all the tourist spots and want to spend a day or 2 on Lantau island. Looking at 4-5 nights.
Can I ask why you want to spend so much time on Lantau Island on such a short trip? That is potentially half your time in HK. I would take a look at the other Hong Kong threads for suggestions on what to do and explore in HK. I just did 5 nights and it was too short to cram in everything I wanted to do.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just finished 2.5 nights at MOHK and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. We did the Harbour view room which was very smartly laid out and was a decent amount of space for a non-suite. Look forward to staying there again. Location is money as well, Central station is behind you and LKF is 5-10 minute walk away - this is all coming from a first time visitor to HK.

Only complaints are the low ceilings but that can only be fixed if they demolish the building and scratch build
FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I am really enjoying this thread as my wife and I are looking at going to HKG for the first time on vacation in jan/feb of 2020. We of course will want to hit all the tourist spots and want to spend a day or 2 on Lantau island. Looking at 4-5 nights. I see there will be a new St Regis opening in 2019 as well. This is going to be a tough choice not knowing much about the city. It would be a priority for us to have a nice view but without having ever been its hard to know which location we would like the best.
I guess if you have family on Lantau Island but can't imagine any regular folks going there for a day or two.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Rosewood now accepting reservations for stays from late March
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:48 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by reigndrop
Only complaints are the low ceilings but that can only be fixed if they demolish the building and scratch build
Very unlikely that will happen. The hotel building, despite being unassuming, I'm sure is part of some special conservation list.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS HK now has 8 Michelin stars under one roof with Caprice getting its 3rd star and Sushi Saito getting 2.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Aventine
FS HK now has 8 Michelin stars under one roof with Caprice getting its 3rd star and Sushi Saito getting 2.
That´s impressing! Only had dinner at Caprice and Lung King Heen. Regarding stars it should be the number one in the world.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s impressing! Only had dinner at Caprice and Lung King Heen. Regarding stars it should be the number one in the world.
They haven't been shy to mention it on SNS! 😂
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Aventine
Seriously though... who are they paying off? I looooooove Lung King Heen, the service is just as I want it to be and the food is really tasty (I love Chinese food), but seriously it's not 3-star Michelin. If Caprice hasn't changed completely I really wonder how they got their 3rd star also, I ate there last time they had 3 stars and it wasn't impressive at all. Saito is always good everywhere in the world, so not surprised there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.