best hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I loved the MO very much. At first it didn't come across to be nicest among the bunch, but having stayed there for the first time a few years ago, I have since become a convert!

I just love the ambiance at the MO, and how it feels like the perfect blend of old and new, and the views towards Statue Square are very nice.

In regards to the poster above's question, I've also stayed at the Langham and thought that they weren't very nice... I was in a Deluxe Room which supposedly has the same design as the Executive Rooms, but I felt that the decor was very un-functional and certainly a waste of space. It was quite a comfortable room for what its worth, but didn't quite like it as much as other hotels with similar price ranges, like the InterContinental.

Also, talking about hotels in Hong Kong, I personally didn't like The Peninsula... it felt way too touristy, and the ambiance wasn't too enjoyable. All the public areas felt very busy and was very crowded, and I thought the rooms had too many unnecessary gimmick. The views towards the Island is nice though. And what's more, the Pen is located on the wrong side of the harbour
I completely agree on the first two points. Indeed, MO is my favorite.

InterContinenal also a better choice than Langham.

However I do love The Peninsula. It’s one of the best hotels in the world.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I completely agree on the first two points. Indeed, MO is my favorite.

InterContinenal also a better choice than Langham.

However I do love The Peninsula. It’s one of the best hotels in the world.
Well one (hotel) can't please everyone . I may just be biased in favour of staying on Hong Kong Island/Central, as I don't quite like TST as much. I've felt that Central is more central

One thing I love about The Peninsula, is the bed and the linens which I felt to be one of the most comfortable I've slept on. Oh, and those red soap box gifts are a nice touch too...
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:38 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by riced
I've been to Hong Kong plenty of times, so the location does not really matter. Which would have the better club level? If the Langham is vastly superior, then I'd take the regular room versus the suite at the Kerry. Its a celebration of sorts and I've never tried either of these hotels.
In that case either Kerry or Langham would be fine for location - your call. Afraid I won't be any help - haven't stayed at either. Maybe I should fill up some of these down times with more staycations...
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Sliver A+, UA Sliver, CA Silver, AA Gold, MU Silver
After the marriott's fusion in aug, compare with all those even more over priced hotel like sheraton etc. , the courtyard shatin will become the CP king for point redeem in HK.
the RC is also good before end of this year
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by klauszou
After the marriott's fusion in aug, compare with all those even more over priced hotel like sheraton etc. , the courtyard shatin will become the CP king for point redeem in HK.
the RC is also good before end of this year
I dare say that a Courtyard or Sheraton is completely foreign and wildly inappropriate for consideration in this Luxury Forum. I might advise you to consider the Marriott Forum as a more appropriate place to post.
SP03 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Sliver A+, UA Sliver, CA Silver, AA Gold, MU Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I dare say that a Courtyard or Sheraton is completely foreign and wildly inappropriate for consideration in this Luxury Forum. I might advise you to consider the Marriott Forum as a more appropriate place to post.
sry, just see that title and don't recognize it's in this forum. Anyway if you haven't try RC HK yet, it's a good chance before end of this year.
​​​​
​​​
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
There's unlikely to be a best hotel in Hong Kong as everyone looks for something different. The best thing about the Hong Kong hotel market is the abundance of choice to suit almost any preference.

For example, Hong Kong Island is a nice side to stay at but lacks the view Kowloon offers.
tcl and clubeurope like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Question for the experts here: I need to make a short visit to HKG next month and was going to treat myself to either the U.H. or M.O. (I prefer being on the island). Breakfast is important to me. I understand that M.O. is a buffet, while it seems U.H. is a la carte. Any opinions among those who have stayed at both?

Also, any feedback on The Murray yet? One poster above provided some pictures, but I didn't see a review.

Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jiaotze
Question for the experts here: I need to make a short visit to HKG next month and was going to treat myself to either the U.H. or M.O. (I prefer being on the island). Breakfast is important to me. I understand that M.O. is a buffet, while it seems U.H. is a la carte. Any opinions among those who have stayed at both?

Also, any feedback on The Murray yet? One poster above provided some pictures, but I didn't see a review.

Thanks!
TUH breakfast is a la carte with very high quality items. MO's buffet isn't bad quality but I'm not too fond of buffets, personally. I think you might be able to have a breakfast set menu at Cafe Causette as well.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 23, 2018 at 5:23 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card

Thanks!
Cafe Causette at the MO HK has a number of set breakfasts as well as A La Carte
https://photos.mandarinoriental.com/...052.1537707298
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:26 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Thanks!
I'm trying it out in October. They've also opened up the pool. The F&B venues look promising, but only in terms of decor/ambiance rather than food.

Similarly, rooms are very nice but service etc remains to be seen. I haven't heard great things from those who have been just for F&B re: service, nevermind those who have been to actually stay (except for 1 person).

Whether that's because it's still opening and finding its feet, or because it's run by Niccolo remains to be seen.

On that note, it's also not a very convenient location unless you want to take the taxi/Uber everywhere. It's not great with the MTR (subway).

Go with The Upper House
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Set breakfasts are also served at the Mandarin Grill on weekdays:

https://photos.mandarinoriental.com/...breakfast-menu
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Keep in mind that breakfast is not included at the Mandarin Grill on Virtuoso/similar rates, though a la carte is available at Causette, as previously mentioned. We went two months ago and the quality was stupendous.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Thanks for all the responses. Sorry to sound so dense, but on a Virtuoso rate the sole option for bfast at TUH is a la carte at Cafe Grey, while at the MO one gets to decide between the buffet at Clipper Lounge and a la carte at Causette? If so, any thoughts on Cafe Grey vs Causette?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I'm trying it out in October. They've also opened up the pool. The F&B venues look promising, but only in terms of decor/ambiance rather than food.

Similarly, rooms are very nice but service etc remains to be seen. I haven't heard great things from those who have been just for F&B re: service, nevermind those who have been to actually stay (except for 1 person).

Whether that's because it's still opening and finding its feet, or because it's run by Niccolo remains to be seen.

On that note, it's also not a very convenient location unless you want to take the taxi/Uber everywhere. It's not great with the MTR (subway).

Go with The Upper House
Haven't stayed at The Murray as I live in HK, but have been there 4 times since it opened for drinks. First thing I noticed was every staff member greeted me any time I walked in the building. Stood out because typically in HK you are just ignored. To have them say something, especially as a non-guest, seemed nice. Next, service in the lobby bar was actually personable & nice (again, 180 degree opposite of the standard in HK). So that was all good.

Then did the rooftop bar, Popinjays. If you are an out of town guest, skip that at all costs, as it will not be a relaxing experience. But for us locals it is a nice addition to the somewhat limited HK rooftop bar scene. But need to get there at 5pm when it opens, because by 6:15pm or so it's an absolute madhouse. Swamped by tons of white dudes who work in finance (of which I am one)....and at that point it becomes typical Hong Kong: enough staff for maybe 1/2 that size of crowd, so even though they are nicer than average, getting food & drinks is a nightmare (that said, sure I'll be back next week happy hour as it's one of the few proper bars right in the HSBC-Goldman-Stan Chart-Citi-BOC area)....

To chinmoy's point on the location....of the 4 times I went I could only get a taxi once. The other 3 times the doormen just gave up and said walk next door to Citi to get a taxi there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.