Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Aventine
That's to be expected. I've found that end of the hotel to be ultra professional and efficient. It's some of the other parts of the hotel that can be lax and leave more to be desired.
It is expected but not always the case from non-Asian MO properties. Which parts are lacking? I’m interested as I’m considering a stay at MOHK next year (April).

Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:48 am

MO Hong Kong is my absolute favorite. Maybe I’m different from some others here, or see it in a different way, but I have never had anything but fantastic service. The F&B is the best in my opinion among Hong Kong hotels, rivaled only by Four Seasons. Their suites and rooms really suite my taste more than any of the other hotels, with the only possible exception being the Harbour view rooms and suites at The Peninsula. But the F&B there is not as good as MO’s, and the location less convenient.

It’s cool to be in the world’s tallest hotel at R-C, where you must stay on club level it you choose it. It’s a lovely hotel. But after one gets over the novelty factor of staying on such a high floor, MO is really the place to be.

You cannot go wrong with any of the city’s top hotels; it’s a matter of personal preference at that point. For me the best is MO.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Agree about the F&B quality at MO. I personally find it much too busy a hotel, though - and prefer the LMO for that reason. In fact, I would stay at the MO and eat at the LMO (which I often do)
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by heronb

It is expected but not always the case from non-Asian MO properties. Which parts are lacking? I’m interested as I’m considering a stay at MOHK next year (April).

It was an isolated incident for us but I felt the MOHK could have done a better job extending a late checkout considering we were using their car service. The duty manager was very cold too. Seemed like we weren't high income guests and not worthy of anything beyond paying the bill and getting out. Contrast that to the now-departed guest relations manager at FS HK who saw us off to the hotel car and didn't stop waving until we were well beyond the driveway.

They offered a one night complimentary stay for that "cold" treatment as service recovery and I would definitely still stay there. The rooms, F&B and spa are spectacular as well.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I'm a little torn between the RC and MO too.
I can get a regular room at MO or harbour view at RC for a similar rate.

This would be a quick one or two night stay.

I absolutely loved the RC when I stayed previously and feel like it is truly one of a kind.
I'm also aware that the MO is spoken about in hushed tones, revered as an exemplary hotel, the progenitor of the MO brand...
However, the MO just doesn't look all that impressive to me.

Watching the sun set into the ocean from the 118th floor pool at the RC was an unreal moment, absolutely spectacular.
Maybe you just have to go there to understand but I don't see what the MO offers to lure me away.
If it's primarily the F&B, I can have the best of both worlds by eating at the MO and staying at the RC. (although I really love Tin Lung Heen)

Location is not a problem for me, I quite like having a fortress of solitude from which to observe the chaos below
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:20 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
F&B at Ritz-Carlton is weak.
F&B at MO is fantastic, but just FYI I do believe the head chef at Man Wah has departed (I remember speaking to someone at a recent event about this - I think it's the head chef at Man Wah).

InterCon is my fav for F&B, also great views. Shame about the old, old rooms. Interesting to see what The Regent will do with it.

Think everyone knows Upper House is my fav hotel overall, although F&B at Upper House can be a bit of a mixed bag - and the no pool/spa doesn't bother me so much (or for most staying <3-4 nights, as they're usually transiting in/out of Bali, Phuket, Amanpulo etc).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
MO Hong Kong is my absolute favorite. Maybe I’m different from some others here, or see it in a different way, but I have never had anything but fantastic service. The F&B is the best in my opinion among Hong Kong hotels, rivaled only by Four Seasons. Their suites and rooms really suite my taste more than any of the other hotels, with the only possible exception being the Harbour view rooms and suites at The Peninsula. But the F&B there is not as good as MO’s, and the location less convenient.

It’s cool to be in the world’s tallest hotel at R-C, where you must stay on club level it you choose it. It’s a lovely hotel. But after one gets over the novelty factor of staying on such a high floor, MO is really the place to be.

You cannot go wrong with any of the city’s top hotels; it’s a matter of personal preference at that point. For me the best is MO.
We stayed here in March, on our way to S Africa, I can't compare to the other hotels in HK, but I have to say that the location was ideal for us...very central to subways, for walking and shopping. The suites were nice and the service was fine (the hotel was full occupancy)...but the standout was the food (in general) and service (specifically at their Asian restaurant Man Wah).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
Agree about the F&B quality at MO. I personally find it much too busy a hotel, though - and prefer the LMO for that reason. In fact, I would stay at the MO and eat at the LMO (which I often do)
I am not sure I understand. Is it possible you meant stay at LMO, dine at MO?

MO has my favorite suites. Then again, I generally do not tend toward contemporarily styled hotels.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
I'm a little torn between the RC and MO too.
I can get a regular room at MO or harbour view at RC for a similar rate.

This would be a quick one or two night stay.

I absolutely loved the RC when I stayed previously and feel like it is truly one of a kind.
I'm also aware that the MO is spoken about in hushed tones, revered as an exemplary hotel, the progenitor of the MO brand...
However, the MO just doesn't look all that impressive to me.

Watching the sun set into the ocean from the 118th floor pool at the RC was an unreal moment, absolutely spectacular.
Maybe you just have to go there to understand but I don't see what the MO offers to lure me away.
If it's primarily the F&B, I can have the best of both worlds by eating at the MO and staying at the RC. (although I really love Tin Lung Heen)

Location is not a problem for me, I quite like having a fortress of solitude from which to observe the chaos below
Doing another HK trip soon and debating on staying at the RC again or trying something new. I absolutely loved the RC last time but I have a lingering "what else is out there" thought in my mind.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
This is exactly what I do - just walk over the bridge from LMO to MO for dinner, although I love the F&B at LMO, especially in Amber.
FlyerEC, heronb and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Aventine
It was an isolated incident for us but I felt the MOHK could have done a better job extending a late checkout considering we were using their car service. The duty manager was very cold too. Seemed like we weren't high income guests and not worthy of anything beyond paying the bill and getting out.
That is unacceptable and the opposite of my experience at LMO where we had an exceptional stay a couple of years ago. I am certainly not an ‘influencer’ but the service was stellar, Amber was also a highlight.

Maybe a return to LMO would be preferable.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I am not sure I understand. Is it possible you meant stay at LMO, dine at MO?

MO has my favorite suites. Then again, I generally do not tend toward contemporarily styled hotels.
MOHK continues to be my favourite in HK too, although I did think to myself when I was there last weekend that I wouldn’t mind a little mid-life refresh in the room decor.

I think the service is wonderful (after a bit of a decline a few years back). I have never been denied a late check-out (which is necessary as my usual flight to Australia departs in the evening), the spa always seems to make sure my preferred therapist is available, and I can always snag a table at M Bar.

I don’t think there is any reason to bother with the food at TUH, although the cocktail list in the bar is very good!

Over at the FS, I thought Caprice was improved from my last visit, and I’d like to give a special shout out to the sommelier, whose childhood connections in Burgundy make for the chance to try some very interesting wines by the glass!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This is exactly what I do - just walk over the bridge from LMO to MO for dinner, although I love the F&B at LMO, especially in Amber.
As much as we loved Amber (it's truffle menu dinner was one of my all time favorite meals), we weren't fans of the MO or LMO--both were disappointing for various reasons, including being a bit tired in decor, service being uneven, uneven food/beverage elsewhere, etc.

We would return to The Upper House without a second thought. After all, it's just a 8 min taxi ride to the LMO and Amber. Of course, I could care less about pool/spa.

The Upper House is basically an Aman in anything but name (and lacks the pool/spa). I am sure if it were called Aman Hong Kong, a bunch of people on this forum would suddenly prefer it, too. Unless they want a pool/spa, perhaps. But even for a pool, I'd never want to stay at the corporate and sterile FS.

The only other hotel that might cause me second thought will be the new St Regis Hong Kong when it opens next year--since I have Marriott/SPG Ambassador elite status. But The Upper House is really tough to beat.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
if it were called Aman Hong Kong, a bunch of people on this forum would suddenly prefer it, too. Unless they want a pool/spa, perhaps. But even for a pool, I'd never want to stay at the corporate and sterile FS.
at one point FS reports were incredibly good/consistent, i think more in line with others now

while you may have been first to post comparison, there have long been many fans, such as >

Originally Posted by ngfan
Just arrived at The Upper House and it blows me away by its clean aesthetics, style and amenities. Could be an Aman by the looks of it. Wonderful !!
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
in design and in many senses, it's fairly Aman-like. Its service is a notch below, but it's still very good.
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
HK has one of the highest concentration of 5* hotels in the world. Of the list, UH is my favorite.
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I love the FS Hong Kong, especially in the summer time, but I also love the Upper House.
Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
I had dinner at Cafe Gray (now closed in New York) at the Upper House a couple of nights ago. Food fine, but decor and atmosphere fantastic. A really buzzy experience with great people watching and great views. Recommended.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Originally Posted by scented
I first tried UH when Chrissie Lincoln left Aman for Swire -- very good indeed. And they graciously offered to let me check-in at 8 am.
Same here . Now it ' s TUH & often split with MOHK ( for the spa & harbour views / towards Kowloon , Elements to Kai Tak , etc ) TUH has been very flexible & super welcoming , perhaps being an Amanjunkie helped plus with Chrissie ' s connection
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
My favourite is the MOHK
Upper House is good
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
As much as we loved Amber (it's truffle menu dinner was one of my all time favorite meals), we weren't fans of the MO or LMO--both were disappointing for various reasons, including being a bit tired in decor, service being uneven, uneven food/beverage elsewhere, etc.

We would return to The Upper House without a second thought. After all, it's just a 8 min taxi ride to the LMO and Amber. Of course, I could care less about pool/spa.

The Upper House is basically an Aman in anything but name (and lacks the pool/spa). I am sure if it were called Aman Hong Kong, a bunch of people on this forum would suddenly prefer it, too. Unless they want a pool/spa, perhaps. But even for a pool, I'd never want to stay at the corporate and sterile FS.

The only other hotel that might cause me second thought will be the new St Regis Hong Kong when it opens next year--since I have Marriott/SPG Ambassador elite status. But The Upper House is really tough to beat.
I loved the Upper House and would agree to its similarities to an Aman property. That said, when I'm staying in HK for 3 nights and MO is running a 3rd night free deal, making it 40% cheaper than TUH for a Harbour View Room, I'm going to at least try it out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.