Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Reply

Old Jan 18, 18, 8:01 am
  #1066  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 52
Thanks for the tip... Heading there in a few weeks... I'll have to check it out.
aaflyer93 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:08 am
  #1067  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 98
May potentially be visiting HK for a few nights with the family later this year; have been before, but never at one of the luxury hotels. Will mainly just be eating and some sight-seeing with our daughter (3.5yo). Location isn't a major deal breaker either way. I know one really can't go wrong with any of the usual suspects here, but thought I'd check to see if any of them have become more (or less) favoured in recent times, mainly in terms of service?

In terms of different rooms at the time with our preferred budget:
- MO Hong Kong City view suite (they have a 1NT free promotion which brings down the price)
- FS Deluxe (entry) room
- Peninsula deluxe (entry) room
- Ritz HK Grand Seaview Room
- The Upper House (studio 70) - is a bit more expensive than we'd ideally like (have to draw the line somewhere)

Leaning towards the MO given the suites promotion giving a higher room category for the same price as the others, but could be swayed if the product / service is miles ahead at one of the others : )

Last edited by Arrow29; Feb 14, 18 at 2:48 am Reason: Added info
Arrow29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:11 am
  #1068  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 77,742
I love the Peninsula, but some of their standard rooms are small for more than one person even though they generally have nice big bathrooms.
BESVISOR likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:38 am
  #1069  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,083
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post
May potentially be visiting HK for a few nights with the family later this year; have been before, but never at one of the luxury hotels. Will mainly just be eating and some sight-seeing with our daughter (3.5yo). Location isn't a major deal breaker either way. I know one really can't go wrong with any of the usual suspects here, but thought I'd check to see if any of them have become more (or less) favoured in recent times, mainly in terms of service?

In terms of different rooms at the time with our preferred budget:
- MO Hong Kong City view suite (they have a 1NT free promotion which brings down the price)
- FS Deluxe (entry) room
- Peninsula deluxe (entry) room
- Ritz HK Grand Seaview Room

Leaning towards the MO given the suites promotion giving a higher room category for the same price as the others, but could be swayed if the product / service is miles ahead at one of the others : )
I think you're forgetting The Upper House here!
Aventine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:50 am
  #1070  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I think you're forgetting The Upper House here!
Oops yes you're right! I had looked at it, but forgot to add it in - have edited my original post. I've read a lot of good things about it, although it is a bit more than we'd like to spend ideally (20% more total stay than the MO City View suite)..but not ruled out.
Arrow29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 3:27 am
  #1071  
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Posts: 3,085
We loved the Peninsula Hong Kong. It’s such an iconic part of the city...great views, wonderful upgrade via virtuoso. And the Peninsula Hotels are always the best at catering to children.
Your little one might enjoy this...
https://aqualuna.com.hk/experience
BESVISOR likes this.
Ericka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:06 am
  #1072  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
We loved the Peninsula Hong Kong. Itís such an iconic part of the city...great views, wonderful upgrade via virtuoso. And the Peninsula Hotels are always the best at catering to children.
Your little one might enjoy this...
https://aqualuna.com.hk/experience
And the lovely RR Transfers
BESVISOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:10 am
  #1073  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 902
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post
May potentially be visiting HK for a few nights with the family later this year; have been before, but never at one of the luxury hotels. Will mainly just be eating and some sight-seeing with our daughter (3.5yo). Location isn't a major deal breaker either way. I know one really can't go wrong with any of the usual suspects here, but thought I'd check to see if any of them have become more (or less) favoured in recent times, mainly in terms of service?

In terms of different rooms at the time with our preferred budget:
- MO Hong Kong City view suite (they have a 1NT free promotion which brings down the price)
- FS Deluxe (entry) room
- Peninsula deluxe (entry) room
- Ritz HK Grand Seaview Room
- The Upper House (studio 70) - is a bit more expensive than we'd ideally like (have to draw the line somewhere)

Leaning towards the MO given the suites promotion giving a higher room category for the same price as the others, but could be swayed if the product / service is miles ahead at one of the others : )
Note sure when you're going but Rosewood HK should open in Sep, there may be a nice grand opening offer or something +then book through Rosewood Elite...could be an option as well. I really do love the Peninsula, though but agree that the entry rooms may not be ideal.
BESVISOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:10 am
  #1074  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,341
Congratulations for bringing your Daughter

- Love the MO. Their suites are really nice.. Having a bath looking at the harbor is an experience. Small indoor pool (usually empty and kids are allowed). Probably the best food options of all hotels. Not sure if you have enough space to put an extra bed in the suite BR (she won't mind sleeping with her Parents )

- RC Love the hotel but the location is not ideal especially with a 3 YO. Their indoor pool has great views if weather permits (and they have a lovely outdoor jacuzzi).
- Upper house : hotel with small lobby. Food is OK Wonder why all the buzz about this one. I'll not pick up this hotel
- Pen location is great (for Kowloon side). The pool is nice with great view (assume child are allowed ?). I'll not pick up this hotel. For me this is more a tourist attraction than an hotel.
- FS GREAT outdoor pool. Your daughter will love it. They're usually kids Friendly
- Landmak MO: Rooms with no view. Limited food option (2 restaurants only ). Great SPA but relatively small indoor pool

My choice will be either the MO or the FS (mainly for their pool that your daughter will enjoy)
Also if you have a late flight or early arrival, MO is usually flexible if you book via FHR / virtuoso (last stay I had a 7 am check in and a 8 pm check out at no extra charge)

Another option but not as luxury is the IC for their outdoor pool (room facing the harbor are smaller than the city view rooms)

Enjoy your trip
FlyerEC and mumum17 like this.
CGRA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:24 am
  #1075  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
Congratulations for bringing your Daughter

- Love the MO. Their suites are really nice.. Having a bath looking at the harbor is an experience. Small indoor pool (usually empty and kids are allowed). Probably the best food options of all hotels. Not sure if you have enough space to put an extra bed in the suite BR (she won't mind sleeping with her Parents )

- RC Love the hotel but the location is not ideal especially with a 3 YO. Their indoor pool has great views if weather permits (and they have a lovely outdoor jacuzzi).
- Upper house : hotel with small lobby. Food is OK Wonder why all the buzz about this one. I'll not pick up this hotel
- Pen location is great (for Kowloon side). The pool is nice with great view (assume child are allowed ?). I'll not pick up this hotel. For me this is more a tourist attraction than an hotel.
- FS GREAT outdoor pool. Your daughter will love it. They're usually kids Friendly
- Landmak MO: Rooms with no view. Limited food option (2 restaurants only ). Great SPA but relatively small indoor pool

My choice will be either the MO or the FS (mainly for their pool that your daughter will enjoy)
Also if you have a late flight or early arrival, MO is usually flexible if you book via FHR / virtuoso (last stay I had a 7 am check in and a 8 pm check out at no extra charge)

Another option but not as luxury is the IC for their outdoor pool (room facing the harbor are smaller than the city view rooms)

Enjoy your trip
Appreciate your input...I wanted to ad that we booked the MO city suite for this march (on our way to South Africa for a Safari). Taking our daughter too. They are indeed going to give us an early check in and presumably a late check out (our flight is at 11:30ish pm). Taking their airport transport likely was the big key for us.
FlyerEC likes this.
mumum17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:26 am
  #1076  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SEA, FLL, Martha’s Vineyard
Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Posts: 2,019
Can someone tell me what the MO and FS is
Edgerfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:35 am
  #1077  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,341
Originally Posted by mumum17 View Post
Appreciate your input...I wanted to ad that we booked the MO city suite for this march (on our way to South Africa for a Safari). Taking our daughter too. They are indeed going to give us an early check in and presumably a late check out (our flight is at 11:30ish pm). Taking their airport transport likely was the big key for us.
Yes their airport transfer will help and will have in room check in.
They have Tesla (in addition to MB) but didn't find it comfortable in the back. Suggest to stay with the S class
Also they have "meet & greet" at the airport where you're picked up by a buggy at the gate and they helped with your bags (but you still need to make the regular customs lane). Sometimes the MO charged extra for this service sometimes they don't but believe you do need to request it
FlyerEC likes this.
CGRA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:35 am
  #1078  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Home
Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Posts: 1,688
Originally Posted by Edgerfly View Post
Can someone tell me what the MO and FS is
Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons
Kettering Northants QC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 12:05 pm
  #1079  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: La Jolla, California
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Posts: 951
Originally Posted by mumum17 View Post
They are indeed going to give us an early check-in and presumably a late check out (our flight is at 11:30ish pm). Taking their airport transport likely was the big key for us.
Make sure to verify this ahead of time. I once had FS HK try to charge me for 3 nights on a 34-hour stay. Upper House is my choice for HK, but I'm not traveling with a small child.
mike_la_jolla is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 18, 12:16 pm
  #1080  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,658
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
Make sure to verify this ahead of time. I once had FS HK try to charge me for 3 nights on a 34-hour stay. Upper House is my choice for HK, but I'm not traveling with a small child.
In early check-in and/or late-checkout situations, the Peninsula shines with PEN Club which offers flexible check-in and check-out. Just need to make a PEN Club booking and let hotel know in advance your ETA and departure times. If you room is not ready at check-in, they will give you the use of another guest room until yours is ready.
DavidO is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread