Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best hotel in Hong Kong

best hotel in Hong Kong

Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:58 am

I'm at the Four Seasons next month for four nights. I know it's going to be a terrific hotel and I've booked into both the two ***Michelin restaurants, though it will be interesting to see if Caprice retains its *** after the recent change of chef. I do worry, though, that even with a harbour view room the view will not be as good as a hotel in Kowloon and in the back of mind I think I should be changing hotels because of that. At the moment I've booked a dinner at the Interconti for the view and for old times sake as we stayed there when it was the Regent. One of the all-time greats, we thought.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Larkin
On this recent trip also had lunch at the new Ritz Carlton and did not care for it at all. Disliked the location and the glitz.
Completely agree. I think I'd only stay there if I had meetings to attend in that location.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I often do the same thing for the same reason so no need for apologies.

I do like the Four Seasons in HK quite a bit and find the F&B to be very good.
My personal preference wavers between the Four Seasons and the MO (Original)- the MO feels much more "Hong Kong" to me and is the classic Hong Kong luxury hotel whereas the Four Seasons could be located almost anywhere.

Both are great actually.
^
And they have the Grill !!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by seat 1a
^
And they have the Grill !!
The Grill remains awesome.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Hi guys, just thought I would use this thread instead of starting a whole new one.

Has anyone stayed at the Island Shangri-La Hong Kong recently? How has the hotel held up? I stayed there in 2007/2008 with my family and we enjoyed it greatly, but I am wondering how it compares to the current crop of hotels (FS, LMO, etc.) as they're pretty much the same price for Amex FHR. Reviews on TripAdvisor mention that the rooms are getting old and may not be maintained all that well anymore, but you know how reliable TripAdvisor reviews are... I think their last renovation was 2009, compared to 2013 for the Peninsula. A reviewer did mention that they were renovating their rooms for the Island Shangri-La, but no firm details have come up?

The reason why I'm considering the Island Shangri-La is location, as it's convenient to the Airport Express and Pacific Place, tourist attractions such as the Peak and HK Park, etc. The view is probably better than the Peninsula too, as I'm not going to pay the exorbitant rate for their Harbour View room there, whereas the Shangri-La automatically comes with a peak view room and I'm likely to be upgraded to a harbor view room thanks to FHR. I'll be taking my GF who has not been to Hong Kong before and I'd like to show her around, but we only have a 1.5 day layover in HK before continuing to Singapore. Another reason is that the Amex FHR rate includes one airport transfer and I want to try out the RR transfer (yes, I'll probably have to pay extra as it's usually a Mercedes S-class, but that's fine) and the Peninsula charges $1600HKD for their transfer, which makes the Pen a bit more expensive than the Island Shangri-La overall, especially as I have to pay to upgrade to a better room.

Any thoughts? Otherwise, considering the short time that we'll be there I might just use Marriott points and stay at the JW Marriott, leave the RR transfer to another time. Pay for breakfast at the Marriott Cafe, which I heard is quite good as well.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not use your Marriott points to stay at the RC HK, the world's highest hotel (still, I think)?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Why not use your Marriott points to stay at the RC HK, the world's highest hotel (still, I think)?
Not enough Marriott points (I have applied for the credit card, which gives me 50,000 points - enough for a night in the JW Marriott with a room upgrade) and also the location, which is a bit further out. We'll be arriving in the morning at 7AM, so I want to drop off our bags, head up to the peak do some sightseeing, come back down for lunch and then check into the hotel before going out again.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
SLA is not in same league as FS , MOHK , LMO ..
Am deciding if to visit HK with someone who ' ll be staying there soon - corp decision - while I am at MOHK .
If no one else posts , can perhaps get views on stay & post later in Apr
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
SLA is not in same league as FS , MOHK , LMO ..
Am deciding if to visit HK with someone who ' ll be staying there soon - corp decision - while I am at MOHK .
If no one else posts , can perhaps get views on stay & post later in Apr
A review of MOHK would be welcome. The funny part is that right now there is no room availability for MOHK during Dec 1/2/3/4 - perhaps an event is happening there? Nothing is available at all, not even suites etc.

Last edited by roastpuff; Mar 31, 2014 at 4:48 pm Reason: Added extra dates where the MOHK is unavailable.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roastpuff
I want to try out the RR transfer
can anyone comment on RR transfers at MO?

Originally Posted by roastpuff
no room availability for MOHK during Dec 1/2/3/4
MO website >
dec 1/2 - 3 suite categories with 3 night minimum
dec 3/4 - 2 room categories and 3 suite categories

also note http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hongkong/accommodation/
32sqm STUDY ROOM
35-40sqm SUPERIOR ROOM
40sqm PREMIER ROOM
44sqm STUDIO SUITE
Please call hotel, or email [email protected]
(although, it also says that for 93-115m2 suites, but their rates do show on some dates)

contacting hotel/management, or having virtuoso/etc agent do so may have better results. MO fan club agents have priority waitlist clearance.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 31, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:07 pm

I'm only in HK for 1.5 days, Dec 1/2 (flight on Dec 2 2:30PM) so I cannot do a 3-night minimum...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are many reports here of getting different results directly with hotel/management or via travel agent

and four room categories do not appear in online reservations on any date, with instructions to contact hotel directly

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 31, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there are many reports here of getting different results directly with hotel/management or via travel agent

and four room categories do not appear in online reservations on any date, with instructions to contact hotel directly
At the Fs now. It's splendid. Visited the MO and though it has good things about it, the cake shop, I'm so glad we didn't stay there. Low ceilings out dated rooms small bathrooms crazy busy lobby poor views.

But, the service for the couple of hours we spent touring it and eating there, was excellent.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Visited the MO and though it has good things about it, the cake shop, I'm so glad we didn't stay there. Low ceilings out dated rooms small bathrooms crazy busy lobby poor views.
Huh? Are you sure you didn't go back in time? It's only been a few years since the renovation so I don't see how you can label the rooms as dated? And the ceilings are not low in the rooms. And if you have a harbor view room, the views are fabulous. And any hotel can have a busy lobby. It usually means the hotel is good and popular, but it can also be related to a conference or wedding, etc.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Hi Stimpy, I c

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.